Football The 2020/2021 Season Thread

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Nah, the fact that RM and Barca used to leech all the money out of Spanish football through their own independent TV deals and now they can't; the fact that the Madrid Council used to regularly write off their taxes and now they can't, the fact that the sports players tax exemption has been stamped out by the EU, are all reasons why RM profitability has been hit; its not the English teams having more, its RM and Barca being forced to behave that's fucked them up. Pères and pals would like to return to the good old days of lack of accountability.

Besides, its not like we haven't been here before with English dominance, it doesn't last.

I don't really think that this counters my argument though. All it says is that Madrid and Barca are going to fall even further behind English clubs, as the English clubs get richer and richer. Says it all when of the 4 CL semi finalists, Real Madrid were the closest to being "plucky minnows", because of their spend on players. On paper their squad is nowhere near as strong as Chelseas.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Yeah. It's definitely not a whole host of fundamental problems with using video to judge subjective decisions.

Why is it subjective? Something either is or is not a foul. If it's subjective might as well get rid of the laws of the game entirely as they don't serve a purpose.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Both Barca and Real pull in more money than anyone in the prem...although that's changing now they have to pay their way.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Both Barca and Real pull in more money than anyone in the prem...although that's changing now they have to pay their way.
Generate more revenue yes, but aren't bankrolled by billionaires in the same way that the likes of City, Chelsea and PSG are.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The issue is our referees, aside from one or two who are excellent, are utter shit. Coupled with bad decisions in the VAR office.

VAR itself is not the fault here.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I don't know how you can look at the Vestegaard decision, and the two that @caLLous posted, and come to any other conclusion.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Nothing screams incompetent officiating and/or bad implementation louder than a red card that wasn't overturned by VAR being sheepishly rescinded days later.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Generate more revenue yes, but aren't bankrolled by billionaires in the same way that the likes of City, Chelsea and PSG are.

No instead they were bankrolled by the state, plus the insane wages some of the clubs have paid has caused them issues on top of the simple fact their TV revenue isn't as good which in a pandemic year was always going to cause more issues since they generate more from stadium revenue.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
No instead they were bankrolled by the state, plus the insane wages some of the clubs have paid has caused them issues on top of the simple fact their TV revenue isn't as good which in a pandemic year was always going to cause more issues since they generate more from stadium revenue.

Yes, exactly, WERE, so them worrying about falling behind the English clubs is completely legitimate from their point of view.

Not sure why so many fans are keen to back an English monopoly on European football.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Yes, exactly, WERE, so them worrying about falling behind the English clubs is completely legitimate from their point of view.

Not sure why so many fans are keen to back an English monopoly on European football.

Well they aren't but they have dented the actual monopoly by the Spanish clubs, 2 in particular.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I don't really think that this counters my argument though. All it says is that Madrid and Barca are going to fall even further behind English clubs, as the English clubs get richer and richer. Says it all when of the 4 CL semi finalists, Real Madrid were the closest to being "plucky minnows", because of their spend on players. On paper their squad is nowhere near as strong as Chelseas.

World's Smallest Violin time. Real and Barca have stacked the deck for a very long time, and if they weren't mismanaging their costs (particularly Barca) they'd still be on top. Nb. Have Barca given any indication they'll be able to pay their debts this year? Isn't something like €700m about due? I've not been keeping up.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
World's Smallest Violin time. Real and Barca have stacked the deck for a very long time, and if they weren't mismanaging their costs (particularly Barca) they'd still be on top. Nb. Have Barca given any indication they'll be able to pay their debts this year? Isn't something like €700m about due? I've not been keeping up.
I'm not going to disagree with you, but also why is it a good thing that now England is dominating in Europe, purely because the owners here are pumping more money into their clubs? It's all shit.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Apparently Barca had over 1.1bn and Real 900m Euros in terms of gross debt.

DaGaffer

I'm not going to disagree with you, but also why is it a good thing that now England is dominating in Europe, purely because the owners here are pumping more money into their clubs? It's all shit.

England aren't "dominating Europe". One swallow does not make a summer. If English teams are the winners and finalists of the next five CLs and Europa Leagues, then they're dominating Europe.

Probably one of the most interesting things about English football compared to every other league is that the TV deals mean that while the number one and two English clubs in any given season might be on par with their European counterparts, the 3,4,5 and 6 teams are increasingly likely to be somewhat better.

DaGaffer

Apparently Barca had over 1.1bn and Real 900m Euros in terms of gross debt.

Yeah I think I knew that, but isn't some of Barca's debt due this year? I seem to remember something about it after the hammering by Bayern last year.

Yes, they owe €266m by June 30.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
England aren't "dominating Europe". One swallow does not make a summer. If English teams are the winners and finalists of the next five CLs and Europa Leagues, then they're dominating Europe.

What about two swallows? It was exactly the same in 2019!

Probably one of the most interesting things about English football compared to every other league is that the TV deals mean that while the number one and two English clubs in any given season might be on par with their European counterparts, the 3,4,5 and 6 teams are increasingly likely to be somewhat better.

Also this is only exciting if you're a fan of one of those top 6 clubs!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
What about two swallows? It was exactly the same in 2019!

Also this is only exciting if you're a fan of one of those top 6 clubs!
Let's hope it's not *exactly* the same. City vs. Chelsea and United vs. Villareal would be just fine.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yeah I think I knew that, but isn't some of Barca's debt due this year? I seem to remember something about it after the hammering by Bayern last year.

Yes, they owe €266m by June 30.
I think I remember that Laporta said one of his first jobs as president was to restructure those looming debts.

Edit:

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Let's hope it's not *exactly* the same. City vs. Chelsea and United vs. Villareal would be just fine.
Hah. I do think Villareal are favourites actually, Emery does love the Europa League.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Hah. I do think Villareal are favourites actually, Emery does love the Europa League.
I hope so but they really shot themselves in the foot by giving that pen away after Arsenal went down to 10 men. I fear that away goal could come back to haunt them.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Well least you can rely on Arsenal to make it a bit more fair for other countries :p

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It's fair to say they're not over the moon with Arteta right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom