Football The 2020/2021 Season Thread

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Really?

He's fucking offside. Part of him that can play the ball is offside. It's exactly the kind of thing VAR is for.
What part of him? His hand?

You can't even see when the ball is released, because it's blurry you can't see if his foot is even on the line, let alone over it. How you can give that as offside beggars belief.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
The only logic I can see behind it is that it was given offside on field, and there wasn't enough evidence to overturn it, because it's so close. But the pictures show he is at worst level, which is onside.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Crazy that Derby were ever in that position to be honest. Feel a bit sorry for Wycombe. A club of their size staying up in the champo would've been massive.

Rooney tried to do a Lampard and get a good team in on loan.

Then they got injured.

I'm sure he'll leave next year and spent 2-3 months at a prem club.

Embattle

FH is my second home

You can't even see when the ball is released, because it's blurry you can't see if his foot is even on the line, let alone over it. How you can give that as offside beggars belief.

What we see isn't likely to be exactly the same as what the VAR person sees, ultimately it is judgement and it isn't a mistake of epic proportions.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
What we see isn't likely to be exactly the same as what the VAR person sees, ultimately it is judgement and it isn't a mistake of epic proportions.
Possible, but how you and scouse can look at those pictures and definitively say it's offside is mad to me!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Looking at the VAR footage the offside is clear.

Unless VAR is wrong. And if so, what's it doing there?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Looking at the VAR footage the offside is clear.

Unless VAR is wrong. And if so, what's it doing there?
How though? His foot isn't even on the line? I've not seen a single other person agree with your view other than embattle.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Live, I thought he was offside then with the replay he looked level at the most. It didn't help VAR's case that the best they could do with the lines was to make them completely overlap each other (which implies he was level). It's a bullshit decision because Dele was behind one of their players so they couldn't be sure when the ball left his foot and, as I've said before, the quality of the cameras that VAR use (in terms of image quality and frames per second) isn't nearly high enough to be making these ridiculously tight calls.

I think we see exactly what they see... when the ref goes over to check footage it's exactly the same as what they've already put up for us to see. It's infuriating that they repeatedly show the least-helpful angles as well. Like that Fleck one from last week - they showed the same angle about 4 times where you couldn't see any of the violent conduct and then they quickly threw in an angle from the other side where you can absolutely see him look down and then stamp on Lo Celso's head. Why not show that really illustrative angle first, it's the one you need to be looking at to make a decision.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I suspect what we see is different just in terms of resolution/compression, but the point is moot since the judgement of the ref was offside and with or without VAR it is the ref that ultimately decides.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I suspect what we see is different just in terms of resolution/compression, but the point is moot since the judgement of the ref was offside and with or without VAR it is the ref that ultimately decides.
Yes I think this is the issue here. Ref called it offside on field and "not enough evidence" to overturn it, even though it was clearly level.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Live, I thought he was offside then with the replay he looked level at the most. It didn't help VAR's case that the best they could do with the lines was to make them completely overlap each other (which implies he was level). It's a bullshit decision because Dele was behind one of their players so they couldn't be sure when the ball left his foot and, as I've said before, the quality of the cameras that VAR use (in terms of image quality and frames per second) isn't nearly high enough to be making these ridiculously tight calls.

I think we see exactly what they see... when the ref goes over to check footage it's exactly the same as what they've already put up for us to see. It's infuriating that they repeatedly show the least-helpful angles as well. Like that Fleck one from last week - they showed the same angle about 4 times where you couldn't see any of the violent conduct and then they quickly threw in an angle from the other side where you can absolutely see him look down and then stamp on Lo Celso's head. Why not show that really illustrative angle first, it's the one you need to be looking at to make a decision.

I have to say, I am new to all this VAR nonsense, but as a Leeds fan I did feel that was harsh today... unlucky @caLLous ... still, 3 points are 3 points ;)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
So United's CL place is secure after today, so which game this week will they put out the kids? I'm assuming Liverpool as they'll still want to finish above Leicester.

Embattle

FH is my second home
It was nice to see West ham lose since it takes some of the pressure off us with 2 cup finals to play as well.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So United's CL place is secure after today, so which game this week will they put out the kids? I'm assuming Liverpool as they'll still want to finish above Leicester.
I doubt it. You're safe, and miles ahead of Leicester so it'd be fun for the fans to keep Lollerpool out, no?

Edit: You'll prolly throw the game against Leicester. Could do us a big favour there :)

Embattle

FH is my second home
After our Arsenal game on Wednesday we play Leicester in the FA Cup final on Saturday and play them again in the league on Tuesday.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I doubt it. You're safe, and miles ahead of Leicester so it'd be fun for the fans to keep Lollerpool out, no?

Edit: You'll prolly throw the game against Leicester. Could do us a big favour there :)

Olly has said his going to rotate like mad this week, so one of the two is going to see a weaker side. I don't think Liverpool have a chance of top 4 anyway, but keeping Leicester on their toes is probably a good idea as they have Chelsea to play as well.

gmloki

Part of the furniture
Slightly off topic but Rennes giving PSG no quarter, They are now reliant on other results to be in with a chance of the title

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I hadn't realised this was the first time Big Sam has been relegated.

gmloki

Part of the furniture
Pochettino is an absolute fraud

Remember a few years back then his Spurs played Chelsea in a game right at the end of the season. Heads went all over the place with tackles flying in and not a whole lot else. He doesn't seem to have developed as a coach at all. PSG losing their heads in two vital games. Surprisingly, Neymar was the most mature of a bad bunch which is saying something.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Remember a few years back then his Spurs played Chelsea in a game right at the end of the season. Heads went all over the place with tackles flying in and not a whole lot else. He doesn't seem to have developed as a coach at all. PSG losing their heads in two vital games. Surprisingly, Neymar was the most mature of a bad bunch which is saying something.
Yeah, that's nonsense. You've totally fabricated a link between two completely different situations.

PSG have a history of losing the plot when they're behind, it happened loads under Tuchel, and Emery, and Blanc. As I said earlier in the thread - there are too many entitled dickheads and prima donnas in the team for it to be any other way. They *always* sulk when they're behind but Kimpembe's red last night was just a (really) poorly timed challenge.

As for the "Battle of the Bridge", it went the way it did because Clattenburg is a narcissistic wanker who was more concerned with how he'd look than keeping control of the match (which he openly admitted afterwards). Had he actually done his job and put his foot down early on, tempers wouldn't have frayed so badly and it would've been just another match.

I could write a list of the things I dislike about Pochettino but the above wouldn't be on it.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Crumbs, it doesn't help that Wycombe's owner is a lawyer. A two-point deduction would fuck Derby though and Sheffield Wednesday got a 12 point deduction (reduced to 6) for financial shenanigans.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Surely it would be added onto next year?

Also, the columnist wrote 'My understanding all along has been even if Derby were to lose the appeal it would not result in a points' deduction.'

I'm not really bothered if we go down tbh, might be a good reality check.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
We went down, I'm actually looking forward to it, we might win the odd game next season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom