Football The 2020/2021 Season Thread

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I don't remember the circumstances of Cardiff and Swansea City joining the English league but it seemed to work for them. As for the rest of the teams, they'll just carry on and be more competitive with each other I expect. How many Welsh teams can you name outside Swansea and Cardiff? I didn't even know what their league was called until I just looked it up. And Glasgow isn't *that* much further than say, Newcastle.
They were always in the English Leagues I think.

I could name most of the league of Wales teams btw, but I'm a fucking nerd

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Wrexham as well!

And Newport County and Merthyr Town. They've all been in the English system since forever but declined to move to the Welsh league when it was set up in 1992.

Today I learned:
Two Southern League clubs, Southampton (in 1900 and 1902) and Tottenham Hotspur (in 1901) reached the final of the FA Cup around the turn of the twentieth century. Tottenham Hotspur are the only club from outside the Football League (and since its inception, also the Premier League) to have won the FA Cup.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

There was a protest outside the Tottenham Stadium last night as well, although the one guy with the Spurs shop carrier bag kind of let the side down.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I don't remember the circumstances of Cardiff and Swansea City joining the English league but it seemed to work for them. As for the rest of the teams, they'll just carry on and be more competitive with each other I expect. How many Welsh teams can you name outside Swansea and Cardiff? I didn't even know what their league was called until I just looked it up. And Glasgow isn't *that* much further than say, Newcastle.

Welsh teams were always part of the English league system, the only "domestic" competition was(is?) the Welsh Cup.

I do find it slightly ironic that after 100 years of resistance, the Old Firm would join the English Football League at a time when they're more likely to become independent than ever (and that Glaswegians are the most likely to vote for independence if last time is anything to go by).

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I do find it slightly ironic that after 100 years of resistance, the Old Firm would join the English Football League at a time when they're more likely to become independent than ever (and that Glaswegians are the most likely to vote for independence if last time is anything to go by).

Rumours that BJ may support it as a pro-union statement lol.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
The common argument is that the old firm aren't good enough, which is probably true, but as I said, they'd get a huge cash injection if they joined the premier league, and have the infrastructure in place to support it.

I think the Old Firm would struggle for the first couple of seasons as they're only really used to playing each other and some goat farmers - but if this gave them access to more cash, they'd soon attract some decent players. Doubt they'd ever end up as UK Champions, top half though eventually I'd say.

However instead of laying waste to the Premier League, this would lay waste to the Scottish Premier League instead. Maybe not the greatest loss, but all of the negatives for the ESL for the league the clubs come from would apply in Scotland too.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I think the Old Firm would struggle for the first couple of seasons as they're only really used to playing each other and some goat farmers - but if this gave them access to more cash, they'd soon attract some decent players. Doubt they'd ever end up as UK Champions, top half though eventually I'd say.

However instead of laying waste to the Premier League, this would lay waste to the Scottish Premier League instead. Maybe not the greatest loss, but all of the negatives for the ESL for the league the clubs come from would apply in Scotland too.

Yeah, at the very least there would have to be an agreement for cash to filter down into scottish football from any combined league.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Turns out I owe Woodward an apology; the Glazers kept him in the dark:
I find that incredibly hard to believe tbh, I've seen a few Woodward puff pieces since his resignation was announced.

The UEFA boss said Woodward was balls-deep in the ESL plans, as did "a Premier League club chief executive". He was also one of the driving forces behind Project Big Picture last year.
Manchester United were one of the main drivers in the controversial proposal which was rejected by Premier League clubs last week - but Woodward insists the need for reform means he won't be backing down
This all sounds like something he'd absolutely be involved with.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I really hope Liverpool miss out on Europe this season.

Would be great to see West Ham hold on, despite their fucking owners.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Chelsea needed to convert more of those chances into goals.
Yep. Was speaking to Megadave though and he said if you'd told him during Lampard's last game that he'd be annoyed with a 1-1 draw away at Real Madrid in a CL semi, he'd never have believed you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom