Football The 2020/2021 Season Thread

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It was quite funny after the match, which I'd watched on RTE. For once, I just wanted jingoistic English feelgood instead of Didi Hamman ranting about undeserving England.

Then I realised it was on bloody ITV so I had to go to the manual tuning. Switch it on, and...its Roy Keane :(

NB. Is Ian Wright on both channels now?

Most are interchangeable these days, Lineker even does Amazon work. I wonder if it was part of his pay cut, to be allowed to do non-competing coverage.

As for ITV, everything about it is bad, from the very moment that car salesman Pougatch opens his stupid mouth to the commentators losing interest in the game to Lee Dixon trying to explain player psychology in international games.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Pougatch (or Poo-Gash as he is known in my head) is absolutely fucking god awful.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Just been talking to a Danish fella, very magnanimous in defeat, agreed that it was the right winner.

Also, what have they been feeding the Danish players? Some of them are enormous, Saka got absolutely stomped on a few times.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Absolute arseholes. The least I want to see is banned from all stadiums and some sort of criminal charge.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Just been talking to a Danish fella, very magnanimous in defeat, agreed that it was the right winner.

Also, what have they been feeding the Danish players? Some of them are enormous, Saka got absolutely stomped on a few times.

Vestergaard is fucking terrifying. Of course if he'd been born English he'd have been directed to the nearest rugby pitch at a young age and told to get cracking.

Ormorof

FH is my second home

As a ~2m tall dane, its mostly rugbrød and leverpostej... If you can pronounce it you get citizenship

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
There was some booing heard during the Danish national anthem and that has been criticised by Prime Minister Boris Johnson's official spokesman.

"We don't want fans to be booing teams," said the spokesman. "We want fans to be showing support and being respectful.
...unless they're taking the knee, in which case have at them.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Booing Germany or Scotland, and maybe Argentina fine, there are reasons for that, mostly pantomime.

I am not in favour of booing teams like Denmark though.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I don't think a great amount of thought goes into it - I think they just boo the national anthem of whoever England is about to play.

Gray

FH is my second home
I had a feeling the Danes would be the toughest to crack, I remember we had similar issues with Iceland.

The diving claim is pretty funny though... Whatever we do for diving, Italy will probably end up outscoring us on any theatrics.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I had a feeling the Danes would be the toughest to crack, I remember we had similar issues with Iceland.

The diving claim is pretty funny though... Whatever we do for diving, Italy will probably end up outscoring us on any theatrics.

Yeah but even so, the attitude seems to be that the Italians are the masters of diving, when in reality they're only slightly better at it than the rest of the world.

It's a problem in football IMO and should be punished more severely, but I heard last night that there's some concussion thing that they've all signed up to, so it seems faking injuries is going to be more encouraged by holding the head.

Also I thought it was pretty funny last night that the commentator kept going on about how Kane was amazing at getting himself in a corner and 'forcing the other team to push him in the back' - aka diving?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
There is diving and there is diving. The best at it (Grealish) force the opponent to foul them.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Winning a foul by putting yourself in a position between the defender and the ball where they push / trip you isnt cheating.

going down cause you are expecting to be fouled is shite.

but refs need to give fouls / pens when the striker tries to stay up. It would mean that the players wouldnt have to go down then. But they don’t.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
In the unlikely event of it being declared a bank holiday on Monday, I wonder if Wales would also get the day off?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
In the unlikely event of it being declared a bank holiday on Monday, I wonder if Wales would also get the day off?

Northern Ireland already has day off, they will be burning effigies of celtic supporters to celebrate how English they are

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
The booing of the Danish national anthem wasn't impressive.
Boo all you like during the match...but 60 seconds of sportsmanship and respect for the other side's players and fans during their anthem isn't asking a lot.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
index.php

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
The booing of the Danish national anthem wasn't impressive.
Boo all you like during the match...but 60 seconds of sportsmanship and respect for the other side's players and fans during their anthem isn't asking a lot.
I don’t see why everyones getting their knickers in a twist over this booing anthems.

its not a big issue and its just showing a bit of rivalry.

the crowd are not sportsmen. They are partisan supporters of one side. And for the next 90 plus minutes want to make the atmosphere as intimidating and hostile for the other team on the pitch as they can to help their team.

they paid their money to get into see the game. As long as they are not breaking the law I don’t see a problem with them booing anything they feel like.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
If England went to play abroad and were outnumbered 8-1 by the home crowd, and our National Anthem was booed, the Daily Mail would be choking on their own vitriol the following day in rebuking them.

It makes us look like yobbos. Classless disrespectful morons.

We never used to make a habit of doing this. Its a recent phenomenon. I just think it costs nothing to stfu for 60 seconds, show some common courtesy, then you can boo as much as you like. You don't get this at the Olympics.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
As Albert Einstein said:
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It's the measles of mankind

That applies equally to those who boo nations as it does to those who think they must be respected @Lamp.

Arguably, those booing aren't giving a shit about any of that - like @Moriath said they're just supporting their side. However, the call for respect is in effect buying in to the bullshit.

Personally, I couldn't give two hoots either way. :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I think it's fine to boo Scotland and Germany, part of the pantomime of the matches. But it's not OK to boo everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom