Football The 2020/2021 Season Thread

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
What a surprise, all the old farts saying it's making the game worse.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You're an old fart now too, one of us, one of us, one of us

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I'm still in the 25-34 age bracket, just. I don't reckon I quite qualify for old fart status just yet.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What a surprise, all the old farts saying it's making the game worse.
Sorry, but even the young ones think it's a pile of shit.

The best stat on "making the game better" is 36% of supporters between 18-34.

Thirty Six Percent.

It's fucking gash. It needs to be scrapped. Football always has been, and should be, a human game with human failings.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
30% of respondents to that poll also said they've paid for PPV football this season. Can't trust the opinions of these people haha.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Sorry, but even the young ones think it's a pile of shit.

The best stat on "making the game better" is 36% of supporters between 18-34.

Thirty Six Percent.

It's fucking gash. It needs to be scrapped. Football always has been, and should be, a human game with human failings.
So presumably all the other sports that have video reviews systems and general technological aids working perfectly well should scrap them too? The TMO in rugby? Hawk eye in tennis? Stop the snooker umpire being shown a freeze frame of where the balls were when he's resetting them after a foul? Let's bin off the Goal Decision System while we're at it as well. Make it up as you go along lads, it's a human game so just chill out and fuck it up here and there.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Don't give a fuck about those other games @caLLous - they're nothing to do with football.

You've got your data right there. It speaks for itself.

VAR is officially shit.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Don't give a fuck about those other games @caLLous - they're nothing to do with football.

VAR is officially shit.

I mean, there is no majority there to say VAR is officially shit...

Unless of course you only take the opinions of old men into account.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No no no! You're right @Aoami!

It's definitely worth fucking football over with a technology that such a huge number of fans and professionals absolutely detest.

Football was totally and utterly fucked before VAR came along. And we should definitely keep VAR, despite huge swathes of the fanbase saying it's shit and ruining their experience.

I mean, if we scrapped VAR then we'll have football back like it used to be. And that was fucking awful, right? Unimaginably bad.

I, for one, am fully behind retaining a fundamental change of what was previously described as the beautiful game to artificially insert video technology that's ruiningly unpopular with fans and professionals alike.

I fully understand why you and @caLLous desparately want to keep VAR - you both fucking hated football before it was introduced, right?

Because, if you didn't, then it's time for both of you to let it go.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
No no no! You're right @Aoami!

It's definitely worth fucking football over with a technology that such a huge number of fans and professionals absolutely detest.

Football was totally and utterly fucked before VAR came along. And we should definitely keep VAR, despite huge swathes of the fanbase saying it's shit and ruining their experience.

I mean, if we scrapped VAR then we'll have football back like it used to be. And that was fucking awful, right? Unimaginably bad.

I, for one, am fully behind retaining a fundamental change of what was previously described as the beautiful game to artificially insert video technology that's ruiningly unpopular with fans and professionals alike.

I fully understand why you and @caLLous desparately want to keep VAR - you both fucking hated football before it was introduced, right?

Because, if you didn't, then it's time for both of you to let it go.

44% of 2,100 fans don't like it, a lot of which are 55+, the future of the game. Definitely time to scrap it.

VAR was brought in for a reason - Football is big business, and poor decision making by officials has a huge impact on this. Help is available to those officials, but unfortunately, that help has been implemented poorly. Sounds a bit like Brexit again doesn't it. The EU is a good idea implemented badly, yet you seem to be a big fan of remaining part of that.

Why are you personally so passionate about it? Do you go to games? I personally don't understand how people can be so emotionally invested just sitting in front of a tv... how does VAR even have any impact on that enjoyment?

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
VAR is an enormous bag of wank and should be put in the bin as soon as possible. It's even made football tough to watch on TV imo. Football is supposed to be a fast flowing game, not constantly punctuated with checks to make sure a striker's left bollock isn't offside.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

VAR is officially shit.
The Goal Decision System has nothing to do with football?

Why should football stick to being a "human game with human failings" while loads of other popular sports around the world are embracing technology and improving because of it? Clue - it's not "the technology" that's at fault in football. The vast majority of complaints about VAR boil down to the rules. De Bruyne (mentioned in that article) said after the Tottenham match that he feels like he doesn't know what the rules are any more (he also said he's played professionally for 12 years and for the first 9 years the rules stayed the same). Is that a VAR complaint? Nope. It was an observation about the shifting sands of what does or doesn't constitute a hand ball.

Managers and players are going to moan more if VAR is scrapped than they do now. Are they supposed to just suck it up because "sorry lads it's a human game with human failings, it doesn't matter that every other professional sport ever has improved with technological aids, people like @Scouse wrongly targetted their wrath at dodgy decisions to the system rather than the rules so we had to get rid. What do you mean you got relegated with the help of a string of demonstrably wrong decisions and will lose 10s of millions of pounds in prize money? Lol human game get over it."

I don't know how else to explain it to you. People "hate VAR" because they hate the rules that the people operating it are being forced to follow. "That wasn't offside", "that wasn't a handball", "stop noncing about and make a decision", all implementation/rule issues rather than VAR issues. Fix all the bullshit behind VAR and VAR will improve because the tech itself isn't going anywhere.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You're both wilfully ignoring the fact that VAR kills immediacy. That's a huge part of why people fucking hate it as it's one of the best things about football.

VAR will *always* kill that. It's not fixable. VAR will always break that. Period.

My last word on this, because you're both bonkers - if you have a sport that is universally loved and you introduce something that 44% of people say significantly lessens their enjoyment of the game then you back it out. Period.

If 3% of people complain - maybe you can make an argument to keep it. But nearly half of the fanbase hate it.

It's not a election where you go "majority rules". You can (and must) have a "result" at 52/48% brexit happiness. That's how politics *must* play out. But football is a sport we play and consume and the first job of the governing body is to protect it. They've tried to pander to money (which is never a good thing Aoami - mega rich people choose to spend their money in the game or not - so they can fuck off and spend their money elsewhere if they don't like it) and advertising at the cost of something fundamental.

Some of the fans don't care about the problems VAR creates - fans that still loved football before VAR. A huge number of fans really *really* detest VAR and want it scrapped. The job of the governing body is to protect the sport for all.

That means changes need near universal acceptance.

Scrapping VAR would simply put it back to how it was. The beautiful game. It's clear and obvious what should be done.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
You're both wilfully ignoring the fact that VAR kills immediacy. That's a huge part of why people fucking hate it as it's one of the best things about football.

VAR will *always* kill that. It's not fixable. VAR will always break that. Period.

My last word on this, because you're both bonkers - if you have a sport that is universally loved and you introduce something that 44% of people say significantly lessens their enjoyment of the game then you back it out. Period.

If 3% of people complain - maybe you can make an argument to keep it. But nearly half of the fanbase hate it.

It's not a election where you go "majority rules". You can (and must) have a "result" at 52/48% brexit happiness. That's how politics *must* play out. But football is a sport we play and consume and the first job of the governing body is to protect it. They've tried to pander to money (which is never a good thing Aoami - mega rich people choose to spend their money in the game or not - so they can fuck off and spend their money elsewhere if they don't like it) and advertising at the cost of something fundamental.

Some of the fans don't care about the problems VAR creates - fans that still loved football before VAR. A huge number of fans really *really* detest VAR and want it scrapped. The job of the governing body is to protect the sport for all.

That means changes need near universal acceptance.

Scrapping VAR would simply put it back to how it was. The beautiful game. It's clear and obvious what should be done.

In your opinion it's one of the best things about football. Obviously some other people don't care. It's not "wilful ignorance" it's a difference of opinion that you can't seem to get your head around!

In my opinion, only fans who go to games regularly should be allowed an opinion, and those that just sit and home and watch in on Sky aren't real fans. Doesn't mean it's right at all, and most people don't agree with it, but it's my opinion.

Edit - I have actually addressed it earlier in the thread. I find fans celebrating a goal only for VAR to take it away one of the highlights of a day at the football.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Already addressed that in my post.
It's really ironic that you are throwing around terms like "wilful ignorance" whilst at the same time ignoring what other people are saying about it. Obviously people are anti-VAR at the moment, because it's been implemented so badly - it's not rocket science. It works in basically every other sport on the planet because it has been implemented much better. "Immediacy" is not something unique to the "beautiful game", and no other sport has been ruined because of video assistance.

There is more or less universal agreement that VAR has been implemented badly. I expect sentiment towards it would be extremely different if it had been implemented properly. You'll struggle to change my opinion on that.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
@Scouse - as a Leeds fan and new to VAR I would say it has some flaws. Direct question to you... would you accept it if sensible adjustments to the implementation were put forward, discussed and agreed?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
@Scouse - as a Leeds fan and new to VAR I would say it has some flaws. Direct question to you... would you accept it if sensible adjustments to the implementation were put forward, discussed and agreed?
If you could fix the problem of immediacy then potentially.

But you can't. Fundamentally you need to stop the game to check. So it's unfixable.

For many, including the players, that's pretty game-breaking.

It's why Jermain Jenas said they'd "lost their game".

Embattle

FH is my second home
Although is there anything Klopp isn't moaning about at the moment.

My view hasn't really changed on VAR, probably only needs some tweaking.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
If you could fix the problem of immediacy then potentially.

But you can't. Fundamentally you need to stop the game to check. So it's unfixable.

For many, including the players, that's pretty game-breaking.

It's why Jermain Jenas said they'd "lost their game".

So fundamentally, regardless of implementation, you simply don't want it... even with tweaks to resolve some of the apparent issues you just don't like the game interruptions, I think... am I right?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Although is there anything Klopp isn't moaning about at the moment.

My view hasn't really changed on VAR, probably only needs some tweaking.

He's certainly not as fun this season! :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Football fans were always going to be quick to rebel against what a lot of them will see as virtue signalling. No big shocks here imo.
The biggest shock of all is @Job rushing to a thread he never contributes to to make a post concerning race.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
It wasnt a surprise , supporters said it would happen because they were concerned about the politicisation of sport and political statements on kit, which is against FA rules.
Guardian
There had been fears before the match that a section of supporters would stage a protest, with some calling on the team to stop making the gesture because of its links to the Black Lives Matter movement and politicisation. Millwall rejected those calls, saying the club remains “fully supportive of the efforts to rid sport, and society, of all forms of discrimination … Taking the knee, for us, is in no way representative of any agreement with political messaging or ideology. It is purely about tackling discrimination.

The players are basically being forced to do it as well, so all in its fucking idiotic.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Taking the knee, for us, is in no way representative of any agreement with political messaging or ideology. It is purely about tackling discrimination.

For you, you think they're being forced.

But most sensible people think the above.

It's only the twats that want to paint 'taking a knee' as a political message so they have an excuse for their prejudice and lack of understanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom