Football The 2020/2021 Season Thread

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It used to be culturally acceptable to call people fuzzywuzzies, that doesn't mean it was right :)

The definition of Negrito is;

noun
noun: Negrito; plural noun: Negritos
  1. a member of a black people of short stature native to the Austronesian region.
or.

However, Negro - Wikipedia says " In certain parts of Latin America, the usage of negro to directly address black people can be colloquial. It is important to understand that this is not similar to the use of the word ***** in English in urban hip hop subculture in the United States, given that "negro" is not a racist term. For example, one might say to a friend, "Negro ¿Cómo andas? (literally 'Hey, black-one, how are you doing?'). In such a case, the diminutive negrito can also be used, as a term of endearment meaning 'pal'/'buddy'/'friend'. Negrito has thus also come to be used to refer to a person of any ethnicity or color, and also can have a sentimental or romantic connotation similar to 'sweetheart' or 'dear' in English. In other Spanish-speaking South American countries, the word negro can also be employed in a roughly equivalent term-of-endearment form, though it is not usually considered to be as widespread as in Argentina or Uruguay (except perhaps in a limited regional or social context). It is consequently occasionally encountered, due to the influence of *****, in Chicano English in the United States. "

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
However, Negro - Wikipedia says " In certain parts of Latin America, the usage of negro to directly address black people can be colloquial. It is important to understand that this is not similar to the use of the word ***** in English in urban hip hop subculture in the United States, given that "negro" is not a racist term. For example, one might say to a friend, "Negro ¿Cómo andas? (literally 'Hey, black-one, how are you doing?'). In such a case, the diminutive negrito can also be used, as a term of endearment meaning 'pal'/'buddy'/'friend'. Negrito has thus also come to be used to refer to a person of any ethnicity or color, and also can have a sentimental or romantic connotation similar to 'sweetheart' or 'dear' in English. In other Spanish-speaking South American countries, the word negro can also be employed in a roughly equivalent term-of-endearment form, though it is not usually considered to be as widespread as in Argentina or Uruguay (except perhaps in a limited regional or social context). It is consequently occasionally encountered, due to the influence of *****, in Chicano English in the United States. "
Yep. Suarez and Cavani getting into trouble over stuff they don't need to get into trouble over. And it doesn't mean what they're saying is wrong either, btw...

It used to be culturally acceptable to call people fuzzywuzzies, that doesn't mean it was right :)

When I was a young child I used to love it when my granddad called foreigners fuzzywuzzies. He never did it in a malicious way - he was very widely travelled and worked in Japan, Africa and South America. He used to lovingly recall wonderful people he worked alongside and pretty much gave them the catch all of fuzzywuzzies.

Never heard a word out of his mouth that was actually racist - by that I mean "prejudiced against a people on the basis of their ethnicity" - because he had nothing bad to say about anyone.

My other granddad didn't like niggers :(

Edit: He didn't travel at all. Like I find with a lot of racists in the UK - most of them live in white white areas and don't functionally mix with people of other skin colours. (Like Formby).

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Depends. I mean its one word and i dont believe he ment it in Malice.
i would have to know more about Uruguay to know if its acceptable and its context to judge. I think different cultures have to take account for each other.
I bet you were just as reserved when it was a Liverpool player under scrutiny.

Edit - This was an easier search than I was expecting. You literally made a thread celebrating it.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I bet you were just as reserved when it was a Liverpool player under scrutiny.

Edit - This was an easier search than I was expecting. You literally made a thread celebrating it.
Hehe Suarez was a nob though And i dont think he was meaning it in a friendly manner to evra. I mean show me Cavani biting people. Lol

also i can change my mind in 9 years.

also being partisan is part of being a football supporter no?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
How very reasonable of you :)

That's what Suarez said. But they gave him an eight game ban anyway.

I'm assuming there's a difference between on pitch behaviour and what happens in a tweet?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I'm assuming there's a difference between on pitch behaviour and what happens in a tweet?
Of course. A white man directing a word that can be construed as racist at a black man in the heat of battle is very different to a white man using it whilst thanking a white friend. I'd expect a slap on the wrist. We will see if the FA feel they've made a rod for their own back.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
He obviously meant it in a "thanks mate" kind of way, just with language which isn't appropriate in the country in which he plays. Bernardo Silva got a ban for ignorant, friendly racism (for want of a better description) so I expect Cavani will be too. For the Silva one, it was more the fact that he had hundreds of thousands of followers and they all saw him do a bit of a racism than the actual intent/harmfulness of the message.

Also, Carragher just on Sky Sports right now being thankful for VAR.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
FA Cup Third Round Draw

Huddersfield Town v Plymouth Argyle
Southampton v Shrewsbury Town
Chorley v Derby County
Marine v Tottenham Hotspur
Wolverhampton Wanderers v Crystal Palace
Stockport County v West Ham United
Oldham Athletic v AFC Bournemouth
Manchester United v Watford
Stevenage v Swansea City
Everton v Rotherham United
Nottingham Forest v Cardiff City
Arsenal v Newcastle United
Barnsley v Tranmere Rovers
Bristol Rovers v Sheffield United
Canvey Island / Boreham Wood v Millwall
Blackburn Rovers v Doncaster Rovers
Stoke City v Leicester City
Wycombe Wanderers v Preston North End
Crawley Town v Leeds United
Burnley v MK Dons
Bristol City v Portsmouth
Queens Park Rangers v Fulham
Aston Villa v Liverpool
Brentford v Middlesbrough
Manchester City v Birmigham City
Luton Town v Reading
Chelsea v Morecambe
Exeter City v Sheffield Wednesday
Norwich City v Coventry City
Blackpool v West Bromwich Albion
Newport County v Brighton & Hove Albion
Cheltenham Town v Mansfield Town

Tottenham away to Marine, an 8th Tier team from Crosby. This should be interesting.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I honestly feel like the greatest cupset of all time is on the cards. Nice draw for Saints as well, can't remember the last time we got an easy one in the FA cup.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I looked for Northampton in the list, then remembered we're shit.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Another implementation fuck-up at the end with the Watkins "offside". They spent so long fucking about drawing lines they missed the fact that Ogbonna was fouling him in the box and it should've been a penalty to Villa.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Another implementation fuck-up at the end with the Watkins "offside". They spent so long fucking about drawing lines they missed the fact that Ogbonna was fouling him in the box and it should've been a penalty to Villa.
Office implementation definitely the worst thing about VAR. Plenty of easy solutions out there seemingly being ignored.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
My mothers home team Marine up against Tottenham.
We lived next to the ground for a bit and I would watch them play sat on the garden wall.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Office implementation definitely the worst thing about VAR. Plenty of easy solutions out there seemingly being ignored.
None of which fixes the immediacy issue.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Wow. What a cunt @Gwadien.

All the players, managers and pundits, who support teams all across the league (and the arguments from europeans who hate it too) I've referenced to, linked to, and you still try to make it all about me.

But the most shocking thing here is that you expect better from a teacher. Disagree away - but not even engaging with the actual argument is juvenile.

Maybe @MYstIC G is right. We're all like Job.
@Scouse no need to call @Gwadien that in my opinion. Stop it. Ta.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman

This is stupid. The word negro when translated doesn't take into account its context at all. With the South American players I've played with in both football and rugby the terms "negro" (black) and "gordo" (fat) are terms of endearment and aren't even close to having racial connotations. In fact, the person doesn't even have to be black to be called negro or fat to be called gordo. I'm not sure but I'm guessing it's similar when someone is referred to as "bruv" (?).

It's not really used as much in Spain but with the South Americans it definitely is.

The guys up top talk about integration and cultural awareness but they seem to have none of it themselves.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Villa v mags is postponed due to covid on Friday

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
This is stupid. The word negro when translated doesn't take into account its context at all. With the South American players I've played with in both football and rugby the terms "negro" (black) and "gordo" (fat) are terms of endearment and aren't even close to having racial connotations. In fact, the person doesn't even have to be black to be called negro or fat to be called gordo. I'm not sure but I'm guessing it's similar when someone is referred to as "bruv" (?).

It's not really used as much in Spain but with the South Americans it definitely is.

The guys up top talk about integration and cultural awareness but they seem to have none of it themselves.
We don't. We're more interested in policing language than actual racism.

We've infantilised any argument by making it about words, rather than intent.

Intent is harder to prove, but it's where the important work to fight racism lies. We've stopped doing that though IMO. The lack of a free speech protection in the UK has made the consequences of an adult discussion being taken out of context because of "bad words" appearing are too high.

The fallout is players like Cavani have to issue retractions to protect their and their clubs' brand - rather than just a second tweet saying: "fuck off you dumb twats. It's not racist"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom