Football The 2015/2016 Season Thread

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Talented but stroppy, if what I've seen of him at the Euros is any indication. We were in for him but he was apparently demanding £100k a week so I think Levy politely told him to sod off.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yeah this just heaps on the embarrassment tbh. As bad as France were in the earlier matches, Iceland are even making Giroud look good ffs.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
lot of respect for Iceland, just kept having a go and played some good football. Deserved to get this far in the competition.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
No..they're the next crap generation.
All this talk of overpaid nancy boys, it was just as bad 60 years ago.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
1950 the players went paid very much at all. Some of them had a ciggie in the half time. They were only professional in so much as they didnt do anything else.

Compared to todays sports scienced, multi millionaires the difference between the teams you saw the other week is bigger than those they found in 1950. Imo

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

In 1950 the English had literally just started playing international football (because the FA were even more arrogant and out of touch then than they are now) having only rejoined FIFA in 1946 (having left nearly 20 years earlier). They had no real experience of playing anyone apart from the other home nations. In hindsight it wasn't remotely surprising they got beat in their first real competitive game ever.

There's no such excuse in 2016, although the one consistent thing is the FA is still run by a bunch of empty suits.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Fitness and posh doctors mean nothing if the players on the pitch aren't actually that good and the manager even worse.

DaGaffer

Fitness and posh doctors mean nothing if the players on the pitch aren't actually that good and the manager even worse.

They're not bad players. Individually most of them justify their pay packets (relative to other premier league players). As an England team? Shite, but the reasons why are more complicated than mere talent

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I think Englands failure to perform was purely down to Hodgson.

You could tell by the play style, it was slow and pass-pass-pass-pass hardly any teams do that now, apart from teams where it's worked for them a lot of the time. What's the point having players with pace such as Sterling and Sturridge if you're going to let the other team get everyone back behind the ball before you decide to do anything.

Embattle

FH is my second home
So the 2018 world cup tickets have gone up a lot, so besides being a bit of a rip off it is being held in Russia not exactly a good combination.

My mum has always found Jose utterly boring :p

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
He is highly unlikely to do time though but could make Euro games fun if there are conditions attached regarding staying in Spain.

DaGaffer

Seems a bit too Mike Bassett for my liking if I'm honest. The one intriguing name I've heard mentioned is Klinsmann, he did a stunning job with Germany, would be interesting to see if he could do the same with England.

Its a pretty sad state of affairs when the best English management can do is Sam Allardyce, but then we've always known that. England has produced, what, three, top flight managers in the last fifty years?

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Its a pretty sad state of affairs when the best English management can do is Sam Allardyce, but then we've always known that. England has produced, what, three, top flight managers in the last fifty years?

Agreed, only other name I can think of is Pardew, and he's not without his issues either - and I'd hardly call him top flight.

Although I'm not sure how much of an indicator League performance is - Coleman hardly pulled up any trees with Fulham, but I must say, with Wales he isn't doing half bad.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Allardyce is a relegation scrapper, I can't see him achieving anything. Offer it to someone like Eddie Howe (not that I expect he'd accept).

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
He gets underachieving players playing well together, ideal at the moment.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Good heavens, I've just realised I've had two thoughts on the England National Team in the space of 15 minutes.

I feel dirty :/

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Bye bye Wales. Hope portugal dont win the final.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom