Football The 2014/2015 Season Thread

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Vidal is a monster, would be good to see him in England.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
I think Chelsea will win it this year.
Chelsea or City competing for 1st place
Arsenal or Everton fighting for 3rd and 4th
United or Spurs one or at most two points after, fighting for 5th and 6th
Liverpool 7th with 10-ish points ahead of 8th place

United will play better this year due to the shameful last season, 'pool wont handle the fan pressure, added CL games and loosing Suarez. I also think there will be less then 15 points between 1st place and 7th place.

What is interesting though that this season we probably have seven teams with a good chance of winning the league. Some of them are a bit more of a longshot then others, but still. Remember, Blackburn won the damn thing once :)

Himse

FH is my second home
Why is anyone even voting Utd? They currently have 0 defenders and anybody decent won't go there because of no European football.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Well, they pay 18 year olds 120k a week so i'm sure they can offer top talent something to turn their heads.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Smalling, Evans and Phil jones, are more than capable of stepping up as centre halfs, they now have the opportunity, however I'd still like someone a bit more experienced in there as well, but with a good solid midfield purchase (Vidal) it could be sufficient. Going forward they have the ability in Mata, Kagawa, Rooney, Van Persie and Janujaz and the newly purchased Hererra. Hopefully Van Gaal will bring out the best in the fringe players (Nani/Young who do have the talent, they just lack the consistency). There are youngsters there who could stake a claim for a squad position also.

No european football, means we can focus solely on the domestic side of things, and that for me gives us the perfect chance to bounce back into the champions league next year. They just need someone to remind them that they play for one of the best clubs in the world and that dropping your standard by 5% isn't acceptable, I'm hoefuly that Van Gaal is the right man.

(Head)
Arsenal
Chelsea
Utd
City

(Heart)
Utd
Arsenal
Chelsea
City

megadave

I am a FH squatter
How might Utd line up if they get a top CM? I ask because they have lots of good #10s and no good wingers.

Calaen

I'd like to see Rooney up to with Van Persie, Mata is better in the number 10 spot, the midfield will then be tight in the middle, but with hererra and Kagawa you have players who can make the quick one/two touch passes. Width will be provided by the full backs, with the option of Rooney moving left to right creating space for Midfield runners to burst into the box. If Rooney isn't going to be up front, I'd have Janujaz next to Mata on the left hand side.

......................Van Persie.....Rooney.................

......................................Mata............................

.......^.........Herrera--------------------Kagawa.......^
.......^............................Vidal.............................^
.......^.................................................................^
Shaw/Evra......Evans......Jones.........Smalling/Rafael

..................................De Gea

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Evans/Jones/Smalling :)

Looking forward to this season now, it will be like sideshow bob never left.

ileks

Part of the furniture
Why is anyone even voting Utd? They currently have 0 defenders and anybody decent won't go there because of no European football.

No European football will help them massively in the league to be fair. Also, I don't think players will be massively put off. If it was any other club then maybe, but United have so much prestige and money they can still sign the best players in the world.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

Money and the fact that they can become part of a massive club that has a future.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Smalling, Evans and Phil jones, are more than capable of stepping up as centre halfs, they now have the opportunity, however I'd still like someone a bit more experienced in there as well, but with a good solid midfield purchase (Vidal) it could be sufficient. Going forward they have the ability in Mata, Kagawa, Rooney, Van Persie and Janujaz and the newly purchased Hererra. Hopefully Van Gaal will bring out the best in the fringe players (Nani/Young who do have the talent, they just lack the consistency). There are youngsters there who could stake a claim for a squad position also.

No european football, means we can focus solely on the domestic side of things, and that for me gives us the perfect chance to bounce back into the champions league next year. They just need someone to remind them that they play for one of the best clubs in the world and that dropping your standard by 5% isn't acceptable, I'm hoefuly that Van Gaal is the right man.

(Head)
Arsenal
Chelsea
Utd
City

(Heart)
Utd
Arsenal
Chelsea
City
agree except i cant see arse getting head top place

miri

One of Freddy's beloved
If United aren't going to buy at least one good centre back, ideally two, they're fucked. My expectations of them are based on the assumption that they will completely revolutionise their squad. Smalling, Evans and Jones aren't good enough (currently) to compete in the CL and at the sharp end of the PL. Jones probably has the most potential, while Smalling is nothing but an outright joke. Evans is too inconsistent, but if Van Gaal could get him playing at the highest level he played at under SAF then he could be a solid option.

Himse

FH is my second home
Ok you're pretty blind, nobody that would instantly rocket them back into European football will be willing to join, people in their prime, it's all well and good buying 18 year olds giving them 120k a week and saying they'll be good in the future but to maintain their commercial aspect of the club they need instant success, you need proven players, and no proven player will be willing to join a club without European football, big club or not. They want to go to a club and win trophys in the prime of their career, not be part of a project. Also clubs are ripping you off already for players, to sign anyone of world class stature will cost Utd a lot more than a club with European football.

Utd basically need to buy a whole defence, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and Jonny Evans are useless. Jones is the only one with any promise really. Trying to find world class defenders ready to make a move is tricky.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Man City and Chelsea seemed to manage to get players in fine with no European football. Man U who have been there for 19 out of the last 20 years will have no problems getting players in. Man U are still one of if not the biggest team in the world and a one season blip in Europe does not change that.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Ok you're pretty blind, nobody that would instantly rocket them back into European football will be willing to join, people in their prime, it's all well and good buying 18 year olds giving them 120k a week and saying they'll be good in the future but to maintain their commercial aspect of the club they need instant success, you need proven players, and no proven player will be willing to join a club without European football, big club or not. They want to go to a club and win trophys in the prime of their career, not be part of a project. Also clubs are ripping you off already for players, to sign anyone of world class stature will cost Utd a lot more than a club with European football.

Utd basically need to buy a whole defence, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and Jonny Evans are useless. Jones is the only one with any promise really. Trying to find world class defenders ready to make a move is tricky.

*cough* Monaco *cough*. Players are whores. Yes they all want to "win things", but most of them are more bothered about the paycheck, which is why Yaya Toure is "insulted" and Ronaldo was "sad" and Rooney was "angry", even when playing for teams who are "winning things". While its probably difficult to prize away the likes of Di Maria from Real, lots of clubs have financial troubles and/or the teams are breaking up (Atletico for example, most Italian and Portuguese teams are on shaky ground, even Dortmund are losing players) and United plus decent coach plus deep pockets will offset a year outside the CL.

After last year's debacles I'm still very nervous, but if Vidal happens quickly, I'm fairly confident others will follow.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Not all players are Carlos kickabouts only interested in instant glory. Some do actually want to become part of something big.

UTD will have no trouble signing anyone who is available.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Man City and Chelsea seemed to manage to get players in fine with no European football.
The last time we had no European football was over a decade ago ;)

Man City had to spend a few years buying non-world class players for world class prices. Man Utd could attract world class players if they go for the right targets imo, as in players who aren't being sought after by clubs with equal funds and CL football.

soze

I am a FH squatter
The last time we had no European football was over a decade ago ;)

Man City had to spend a few years buying non-world class players for world class prices. Man Utd could attract world class players if they go for the right targets imo, as in players who aren't being sought after by clubs with equal funds and CL football.
I meant more when Roman started your current reign. You did not need to wait until you were winning things to get big players.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
costa is official... yay?

Besiktas president says they're close to signing Ba too. We've got lots of selling to do this window!

Corran

Part of the furniture
Due to the lack of wingers unless those that are there step up their game could mean that Van Gaal goes for a wingback system like he did with the Dutch team.

Evra/Rafael can play such a role easily, as can Shaw. Hell even Valencia will play decently in that position.

Sure that limits the number of attacking players you have up top as you lose one of your up field positions due to the extra "defender", but gives you the ability to pack the center. He got a few options of 2 uptop, 1 in behind and 2 more holding... or just play 1 uptop, drop rooney into midfield (#10 or further back), 2 MC's and a holding MC. Would mean he could make use of the many central players, and plenty of #10 options that can rotate into that role or the CM positions.

'''''''''''''''''''
Hate to say it, but I am looking forward to next years CM where I can try a completely different formation to what I would normally use. May break my usual rules and buy it 2 years in a row, and/or download an updated database that has this years transfers whilst i wait.

Actually got 2 games on go currently. My 2025 season is ongoing currently on main pc. But started a game with the winter update in it on laptop and managing to make Mata play like a beast in pre-season whilst playing just 1 forward which goes against my "2 up top" formations I always have used in past :D ... gonna take awhile to get the best out that formation but hoping in time I can refine it. heh.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Wouldnt that change in formation mean you need to buy at least two center midfielders? Also a right-back wouldn't hurt. Rafael is a liability.

Calaen

Wouldnt that change in formation mean you need to buy at least two center midfielders? Also a right-back wouldn't hurt. Rafael is a liability.

The season before last Rafael was one of the most improved performers, he still has a bit to learn. But again I'm hoping Gaal will inspire him to the next level.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
To be fair, he either shapes up or gets sold, Van Gaal will not hang on to dead wood.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Could be van Gaal will take Stefan de Vrij with him to Man U. Although Lazio seems tobe the highest bidder atm. He also told Robben that he was always welcome to join his team (at the world cup). Which was a joke from van Gaal, but one never knows!

Corran

Part of the furniture
Well we got plenty of CM's, though they mainly attacking options. We always got Calamity Carrick and Fecking Fellaini (haha)

But I am assuming we will be getting in at least 1 quality CM (Vidal for instance)

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Juventus manager just quit, rumours are it could be because Vidal is being sold because it's come out of nowhere.

Vladamir

FH is my second home
5 year deal for Costa.....did we not learn our lesson from Torres and Shevchenko with big contracts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom