Football The 2012 / 2013 Season Thread

eksdee

FH is my second home
United already signed Kagawa, 12 million I think it was. Great player for sure that will improve their team, but surely they need someone more in the mould of a De Rossi or Tiote who will give their midfield some bite as a priority?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Clevely back will help in midfield, but we really need a replacement for Scholes and Fletcher.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
If Hulk signs for Chelsea then the weakest link and the only thing holding them back from 1st/2nd is Di Matteo...

They won the FA Cup and Champions League last season by playing some pretty bad football and that won't get them far in the Prem, they have to change their entire style of play and I don't think Matteo is really capable of that.. but time will tell !

Sacked by January and replaced by Redknapp I reckon..

eksdee

FH is my second home
He had us playing like that because it was a quick fix and the best way to win with the players available. What evidence is there to say that's his preferred style? Certainly none from his previous appointments at MK Dons or West Brom where he had them playing expansive, passing football despite the relative lack of talent compared with what he has now at Chelsea.

At least we all know what we're in for, Keitan talking complete and utter bollocks by page two. Here's to the new season!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Oh dear Keitz, you clearly have a short memory. Di Matteo is all about attractive passing football.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Erm, no, you said that you don't think he's capable of that, when infact he has proved he is throughout his short managerial career. You are full of such incredible bullshit.

gohan

FH is my second home
why do so many people think southampton will go down?

they have a good strong team and they have money to bolster the depth, they've spent barely anything in recent years despite getting good money for AOC, Walcott and Bale so even without their mega rich inversters they have transfer funds.

Also they have some good young players still that should do well in the prem. Adam Lallana is a quality player and Jack Cork looks like he could be prem qual quite easily. some of their players are still championship quality but they've played together for 2-3 years so will probably perform better as a grp like Norwich or Swansea rather tahn buying proven players who fail to play together like QPR

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I agree with Gohan, write Southampton off at your own peril. Look to Swansea for a comparison.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Clevely back will help in midfield, but we really need a replacement for Scholes and Fletcher.

Too many expectations riding on Cleverley. Be great if he grows into the team (and doesn't get injured), but it can't be relied on this season; same with Wiltshire at Arsenal. United need someone more seasoned in midfield, but the problem is finding someone who fits the "sell on value" criteria set by Sir Alex, David Gill, The Glazers a few years back.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
they have a good strong team and they have money to bolster the depth, they've spent barely anything in recent years despite getting good money for AOC, Walcott and Bale so even without their mega rich inversters they have transfer funds.

not quite true. we were certainly the biggest spenders in league 1 2 years ago, and possibly the highest in the champo last year. no one is quite sure how much the investors can/will invest, but the signs are good so far. The infrastructure is there which is a good start and will help attract better players. We need a lot of players imo and will be like QPR last year. To and go to the wire but just scraping through in true southampton style.ik

eksdee

FH is my second home
I think there are already worse teams in the EPL than Southampton, with worse players for sure, however experience counts for a lot come the back end of the season so I'd say Aoami's pretty much spot on. If Southampton make a few smart signings and they gel well with what they've got, I think they'll survive.

gohan

FH is my second home
in league 1 you spent maybe 5 million, but on about 7 players, last year you only signed sharpe, de ridder, cork and a few cheap defenders, i think leicster spend about 20 mill last season compared to your 6-7. to put it into perspective, you've already spent more on 1 players this season that you did on all the players you bought in either of the previous 2. You need a new keeper and you need another CB (Fonte is a bit of a liability) Puncheon has already performed well in the prem for blackpool and i expect Sniederlin, cork, lallana and lambert to make the step up as well tbh

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Fonte will start and we need a partner for him as Hooiveld was on loan. We need a keeper, a centre back, right back, centre mid, and a right winger.

I'd love to see Lambert step up but I'm not sure. I don't think he has as much to his game as Grant Holt.

gohan

FH is my second home
I thought you had Hooiveld on a perm? shame he was decent, proper goal scoring CB

megadave

I am a FH squatter
He's well past it, don't pick him because he's a celebrity.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Yes but by form recently he has at least been kicking a ball most other players have been on Holiday. So there form is no better? Although i take your point bring a player who could be better but at least be honest don't use the form cop out.

I believe that players selected for the Euros are out of contention?

Olgaline

FH is my second home
1. Barca
2. Real
3. Valencia
-------------
-------------
1. Bayern Munchen
2. Dortmund
3. Schalke
-------------
-------------
1. Swansea
2. Liverpool
3. Man U
-------------
-------------
1. Juve
2. Napoli
3. Int. Milan
-------------
-------------
1. AGF
2. OB
3. AaB

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Yes but by form recently he has at least been kicking a ball most other players have been on Holiday. So there form is no better? Although i take your point bring a player who could be better but at least be honest don't use the form cop out.

I believe that players selected for the Euros are out of contention?

Form and fitness are completely different things, you seem to have them confused.

Everz

FH is my second home
We've signed Tom Thorpe on loan from United, cho?

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Ch3tan said:
Oh dear Keitz, you clearly have a short memory. Di Matteo is all about attractive passing football.

And losing. Don't forget the losing.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
We've signed Tom Thorpe on loan from United, cho?

It's a suprise but could work out to be a very good move for both sides, the lad is very composed on the ball and moving forward with it which is fairly rare for an English defender. Last season he stepped up to play in our championship winning reserves and was excellent, was made England Under 19's captain and really seems to be developing well. Personally I have a feeling he may well end up as a central midfielder in the long term but if he gets a good amount of games for Wolves at centre back and does well then who knows. How much cover do you have in that position and what is the competition like for places?

Everz

FH is my second home
It's a suprise but could work out to be a very good move for both sides, the lad is very composed on the ball and moving forward with it which is fairly rare for an English defender. Last season he stepped up to play in our championship winning reserves and was excellent, was made England Under 19's captain and really seems to be developing well. Personally I have a feeling he may well end up as a central midfielder in the long term but if he gets a good amount of games for Wolves at centre back and does well then who knows. How much cover do you have in that position and what is the competition like for places?

If word is to be believed we are shipping out our defense as they were awful last season. I reckon only Berra/Stearman and Batth will be left as competition so he will certainly get games, especially with how long haul the Champ is.

I like Stale's approach so far.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Hope it works out, the lad has potential but as always you need to see them playing in full throttle games to see if they really have what it takes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom