Football The 2011/2012 Season Thread

Embattle

FH is my second home
One minute we're a team of old has-beens, and now we decide to let a 34 year old go it's a bad move. Sad as I am to see Drogba go, I think it's absolutely the right time and decision to let him go. Better to burn out than fade away.

He has been a great asset in his Chelsea career and I would welcome it if he stayed but I also see the advantages of him leaving. You've tgot a mix of his contract and personal terms which means in essence he won't want to be benched often, yet Chelsea really need to use other strikers more and that then ties in with the fact that while scoring some key goals this season he has often looked like he ran out of gas.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah we need a euro 2012 thread for sure.. I don't really want to read through transfer rumours if I want to see comments about EURO 2012 etc... it doesn't really harm any one does it? :S

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
One minute we're a team of old has-beens, and now we decide to let a 34 year old go it's a bad move. Sad as I am to see Drogba go, I think it's absolutely the right time and decision to let him go. Better to burn out than fade away.
Well I can see the benefits of both :D but without him this season you wouldn't have won anything.. it's asking a lot of Torres and I hope he starts performing again as I love watching him play even though he did break my heart :(

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I think Drogba has another season in him but didn't he want 2 or nothing?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
LFC have started the campaign of "back whatever manager comes in" and "how do you define success?"

Which is shit tbfh. We're getting Roberto Martinez. I may have to put a tenner on it - and I don't ever bet.

You just know it's gonna happen - he's an unpopular choice and if you read between the lines the club has made it's decision and has started clearing the way for someone we don't want.

Sometimes I really *really* hate football :(

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Yanks, they have not got a clue. If they had they would never saction those deals for Henderson, Carroll and Downing. They are overpriced dross.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
I like martinez but then again I liked hodgeson, both seem to be signed after end of season over-hyping... Assuming he's who you'll get.

That said I think some of the top managers suggested are out of Liverpool's reach right now.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I don't think Martinez is overhyped, he's done very well for a number of years with a challenging squad and not much cash.

Now Pool's expectations may be higher than Wigan's, but they are in the same boat. Not enough cash to compete at the top end, and not enough quality in the squad. Martinez has proven he gets the best out of players though, and plays good football.

Pool fans will never be happy, if they get the attacking coach they crave, they may not win anything for years. They didn't like Hodgson, even though he would have ground out results had the players and fans accepted his boring style of football.

eksdee

FH is my second home
Correction: Martinez has proven he gets the best out of his players for the last 2-3 months of the season and tries to play good football. If he was such a good manager, his teams would perform at the level Wigan have done at the end of the season for the past few seasons all season long.

I think he has potential, and may even do well at a bigger club, but I think the amount of hype he is getting is out of whack with the longer term reality of how Wigan have performed over the course of recent seasons.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yup I've said the same thing towards the end of each season for the past 2 or 3: If Wigan played like they do in the last 3 or 4 games all season long they would probably be in Europe. Martinez is a great manager but he needs to deliver that level of performance consistently, not just at the sharp end of the season.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I don't think Martinez is overhyped, he's done very well for a number of years with a challenging squad and not much cash.

Now Pool's expectations may be higher than Wigan's, but they are in the same boat. Not enough cash to compete at the top end, and not enough quality in the squad. Martinez has proven he gets the best out of players though, and plays good football.

Pool fans will never be happy, if they get the attacking coach they crave, they may not win anything for years. They didn't like Hodgson, even though he would have ground out results had the players and fans accepted his boring style of football.

Look at Swansea, Martinez has played a massive part in their rise to the premier league.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Agreed, Martinez has real potential, I just hope he doesn't piss it away at Liverpool.

Everz

FH is my second home
Martinez is overhyped. His teams perform for 2 months then go back to play dross and being fucking awful. That not about money, Wigans budget isn't bad for a bottom half side and alot of his signings have left something to be desired, for example the ridiculous wad blown on Boselli (sp?). He has some potential but he is not a top half manager and I highly doubt he ever will be.

He may have 'kick-started' Swansea but it took Rodgers to take them up.

Calaen

Yanks, they have not got a clue. If they had they would never saction those deals for Henderson, Carroll and Downing. They are overpriced dross.

Thought i'd added a reason for my disagreement :)

I'll judge Henderson and Carroll after someone with a clue as manager plays them. I really do believe they will develop into top quality premier league stars. And I think Carroll will make it on the international stage given the chance!

Calaen

Martinez is overhyped. His teams perform for 2 months then go back to play dross and being fucking awful. That not about money, Wigans budget isn't bad for a bottom half side and alot of his signings have left something to be desired, for example the ridiculous wad blown on Boselli (sp?). He has some potential but he is not a top half manager and I highly doubt he ever will be.

He may have 'kick-started' Swansea but it took Rodgers to take them up.

He made a formation chance 80% of the way through the season and changed to 3 defenders, it paid of in a massive way for them, that shows me he has what it takes. I'm sure you'd have liked to see Wolves try something different to see if they could have changed their fortunes as oppsed to playing the same way till the end.

Everz

FH is my second home
He made a formation chance 80% of the way through the season and changed to 3 defenders, it paid of in a massive way for them, that shows me he has what it takes. I'm sure you'd have liked to see Wolves try something different to see if they could have changed their fortunes as oppsed to playing the same way till the end.

Or he did consistently what Wigan do.. turn up in the last 2-3 months and string together enough results to get themselves out of trouble, 3 seasons on the bounce is telling no?

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
I can't say I've been around spurs fans, so maybe they have been goading Chelsea fans or something and I don't know about it?

Because basking in another teams misfortune seems small time.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH

We have cash.. who says we don't... 2 good signings and a good manager and we could challenge for 4th/5th next season without doubt..

I just hope Lucas' injury doesn't come back.. future Liverpool and Brazil captain !

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Yes there's a reason why most londoners don't have much time for tottenham

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I can't say I've been around spurs fans, so maybe they have been goading Chelsea fans or something and I don't know about it?

Because basking in another teams misfortune seems small time.

Their hilarious crowing that they were now the best team in London, that they were better than Arsenal and had a better quad and "mind the gap" stuff coming mid-season was really awful to hear. Then they bitch and moan when people who are sensible enough to see out the season before saying anything retort with simple questions like "what gap?"

I could paste some Spurs fan's facebook updates from halfway through the year and then the ones at the end of the season. It's hilarious and lacks any self-awareness. Nothing but laughing, gloating and abusing every other London club around December, and then bitching and crying that people are mocking them at the end of the season. It's unreal.

Embattle

FH is my second home
He has been a great asset in his Chelsea career and I would welcome it if he stayed but I also see the advantages of him leaving. You've tgot a mix of his contract and personal terms which means in essence he won't want to be benched often, yet Chelsea really need to use other strikers more and that then ties in with the fact that while scoring some key goals this season he has often looked like he ran out of gas.

^As I said earlier.

As for Martinez, he is certainly a developing manager but I fear he will get done over and won't be given the time required for LP who will naturally want a top 4/6 finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom