Football The 2011/2012 Season Thread

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
So the stuff that gets updated or added to the game can't be added with patches or DLC or something? This isn't the thread for the discussion really but I'm wondering how much actual NEW stuff there is each time that they couldn't just roll out an update instead of re-releasing the entire game. It has to be a financial decision because you're a company after all. ie you make more money by re-releasing the game every time.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Sadly not. In order to undergo major code changes, such as rewriting the transfer system and the match engine, for example you need to break compatability. So no, you couldn't release the new FM as a patch because the changes wouldn't be possible and even if it did it would break everything so horribly it'd scream.

I think the fact we release "patches" and data updates for it on every release shows our commitment to getting the best experience we can to our users. Of course a lot of people don't even notice as they just have Steam on auto update ;)

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
So you're comparing what a multi million pound game budget, with HUNDREDS of staff can do in 3 times as long with what a team of 70 or so can do?

You're a total, fucking idiot.
Ok completely ignore the rest of the post :) but yes, with a team of 70 a bigger game update should be expected.. and FM SHOULD have a multi million pound budget, how many copies do they sell? it's got to be at least 5-10 million if not more, it's literally at the top selling games all year pretty much..

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Sadly not. In order to undergo major code changes, such as rewriting the transfer system and the match engine, for example you need to break compatability. So no, you couldn't release the new FM as a patch because the changes wouldn't be possible and even if it did it would break everything so horribly it'd scream.

I think the fact we release "patches" and data updates for it on every release shows our commitment to getting the best experience we can to our users. Of course a lot of people don't even notice as they just have Steam on auto update ;)
What a load of bollocks.. SI as a company could have released the FM12 game as an update for FM11, easily... they did it with Football Manager Live countless times, everything got rewritten about a zillion times in that game... quite a lot of games have rewritten large sections of the game and released it as a patch.

The only things which could really break are save games....

It's all about money..

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Been seriously impressed with Readings storm up the Championship table. They've been irresistable in 2012.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Reading look great. Not fussed about finishing 2nd as long as we go up! Easy run in now, would love us to get promoted on tv next weekend.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
The lack of Keitanz's undestanding of the games industry could fill a fucking hangar. It's hilarious when people who have no idea how the business, practical and development side of things think they know how things like codebases work. Only a few people in the world understand our codebase, and funnily enough most of them work for us. And the 70 team of people includes admin, pr, IT etc. It's not like there's 70 developers.

There's so little point responding to your points individually because you have already decided that the FM12 code could just simply be patched into FM11 despite me telling you it's not fucking possible. So you ignore fact and just spout your own shit? No need to respond to that moronic willful ignorance.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I do not want to get into it too far as I think FM is a great game and like playing it each year. But that said I really do not want to have to do all the team talks and hand holding. And I wish there was a way to permanently make it the assistants job so I do not have to worry about it again. I want to run the transfers and he contracts then pick a formation and click go. Then I want a result and to move on to the next game.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I do not want to get into it too far as I think FM is a great game and like playing it each year. But that said I really do not want to have to do all the team talks and hand holding. And I wish there was a way to permanently make it the assistants job so I do not have to worry about it again. I want to run the transfers and he contracts then pick a formation and click go. Then I want a result and to move on to the next game.

It should be an optional playstyle, definately.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
The problem is FM is a simulation of something real. People want realism but they also want fun. Put too much realism into it and you lose the fun. People will disagree about what is too much realism.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
The lack of Keitanz's undestanding of the games industry could fill a fucking hangar. It's hilarious when people who have no idea how the business, practical and development side of things think they know how things like codebases work. Only a few people in the world understand our codebase, and funnily enough most of them work for us. And the 70 team of people includes admin, pr, IT etc. It's not like there's 70 developers.

There's so little point responding to your points individually because you have already decided that the FM12 code could just simply be patched into FM11 despite me telling you it's not fucking possible. So you ignore fact and just spout your own shit? No need to respond to that moronic willful ignorance.
Sure I have an understanding from reading about how other developers handle it.. if you are right then it sounds like FM has been written by a set of complete retards..

And since I have made a few games over the past year or two I know how the coding side of it works, and what you are saying is complete bullshit.. I'm not 100% sure how the Steam patching works, but developers most likely send the .exe with all the folders to Steam and then Steam checks what's been changed and sends the changed things to the Client.... that's how most patching systems work anyway.

The way you are talking it sounds like they remake the entire bloody game every year from scratch :p

And yes, it could be patched directly on to it, maybe some updates would make saves incompatible but there are many ways around that. It could just simply be free to everyone who had FM11.. there are quite a few (mainly indie games) games which have been a 1 off fee and nothing else, yet they still release update after update.

But of course, that equals less money! and we all know most developers only really care about money, not the customers.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
The problem is FM is a simulation of something real. People want realism but they also want fun. Put too much realism into it and you lose the fun. People will disagree about what is too much realism.
Yeah which is exactly why there should be loads of options for it.. all the realistic crap turned on by default ofc to please the kind of people who sit there dressed up in a suit ready to manage Carlisle........

- English -

Resident Freddy
make or break for Blackburn. Lose and we're down and out for sure. I think it's too late anyway now

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Soooo the semi isn't on terrestrial telly? I thought the FA Cup was one of those events that was always available on free-to-air channels. :(

For the love of everything, come on Everton.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Nope, ESPN purchased the rights from setanta's demise.

I do have ESPN right now... I keep forgetting to cancel it, I hope everyone streams if just to fuck the money boys off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom