Football The 2011/2012 Season Thread

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
City havent got in to a bidding war with anyone, neither have Chelsea.

Because who would get into a bidding war that you'd only lose?

If City or Chelski make it known that they're going to buy a player, most other teams back out automatically.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Because who would get into a bidding war that you'd only lose?

If City or Chelski make it known that they're going to buy a player, most other teams back out automatically.

That's not an excuse, When was the last time a player was sort after by all of the top teams in Europe? it just does not happen anymore, Look at transfer deadline day, it's all the smaller clubs fighting over average players who can't make it in the team they are in!!!!

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Yep, potentially Benfica, Barcelona and then Real Madrid, you would need to be epic to win but it would be fun to see.

TBH I think we would stand a better chance against Madrid than Barca, we'd have to have a worldy in both legs to get through the semi's.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I fear Mourinho will be shown up on the biggest stage by Barca if that final sets itself up.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I wouldn't have Nasri in the shirt at all. And I certainly wouldn't pay 50 million for Modric. Silva yes, but he was hardly expensive. City havent got in to a bidding war with anyone, neither have Chelsea. Fergies had more duds in midfield when he's bought in than anywhere else on the park! Veron, djemba djemba, kleberson, blomqvist, porborsky.

So because Fergie has been so bad at buying midfielders in the past he's now trying to do without a midfield at all?

We spent on Jones and De Gea, you really don't have to break the bank look at Hernandez! Berbatov cost a fair whack a few seasons ago, United have never went out and spent 30+ million every year on a single player.

I never claimed United had to spend top dollar on every player, and of course Ferguson is going to try and find young players he can develop, but the difference between now and five years ago is that the door is closed to the exceptional signings. In the current climate United could never buy a Rooney or Rio Ferdinand (record-breaking signing at the time remember?) I seem to remember after Berbatov that United even said that publicly. The problem with that is that sometimes (and once again this is just like Arsenal), you have to do the expedient thing to fix a problem, rather than do the "right" thing according to your sporting principles. I think the the difference between Wenger and Ferguson is that Wenger's philosophy has been a point of principle with him as much as anything else, whereas Ferguson has had the philosophy imposed on him by his paymasters (despite his protests to the contrary).

Calaen

So because Fergie has been so bad at buying midfielders in the past he's now trying to do without a midfield at all?

No not at all I was simply making a point, the were buying those guys when we had nicky butt, keane, scholes and others, as potential replacements. Stuff does not always work out as you would like.

I never claimed United had to spend top dollar on every player, and of course Ferguson is going to try and find young players he can develop, but the difference between now and five years ago is that the door is closed to the exceptional signings. In the current climate United could never buy a Rooney or Rio Ferdinand (record-breaking signing at the time remember?) I seem to remember after Berbatov that United even said that publicly. The problem with that is that sometimes (and once again this is just like Arsenal), you have to do the expedient thing to fix a problem, rather than do the "right" thing according to your sporting principles. I think the the difference between Wenger and Ferguson is that Wenger's philosophy has been a point of principle with him as much as anything else, whereas Ferguson has had the philosophy imposed on him by his paymasters (despite his protests to the contrary).

They've just spent 20 million on a keeper, I have no reason to believe they wouldn't stick an extra 10 million on top of that for a player that was going to better the team.
There's just not an abundance of world class players floating around, and I'd rather they not just buy one because he's available.

The summer will be interesting, I'll see if we make a move for Hazard, because I suspect he will be wanted by other clubs, Modirc might want to leave again if Spurs drop out of the top 4!!! but again for 50million Spurs can fuck off :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
There's just not an abundance of world class players floating around, and I'd rather they not just buy one because he's available.

Yes there is.

However, with 800 million of debt United is no longer in the position to be able to afford them.

Marc

FH is my second home
United clearly missed Vidic in europe. The foundation for their "success" in europe over the past few seasons has been their defense. Take out their best defender and stick in a new keeper and the results are as shown. They are also in dire need of a defensive midfielder. Fernando at porto is class.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
United clearly missed Vidic in europe. The foundation for their "success" in europe over the past few seasons has been their defense. Take out their best defender and stick in a new keeper and the results are as shown. They are also in dire need of a defensive midfielder. Fernando at porto is class.

Spot on. We completely lack a ball winner in the centre and it shows everytime against sides who attack us with pace and aggression. We never replaced Keano, somehow managed with Fletcher and careful rotation but we are incredibly weak in the middle when we don't have possesion these days.

Calaen

Which is shown when comparing this eyars CL run to last years, we scored more goals this year than the whole of last years competion but conceded a fuck ton more!

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
United will buy two and lose two I think, one of them being taking Fletcher off the wages. Anderson would be my other bet, he is totally disinterested and is regularly seen out n about late at night just before games or when he is supposed to be at home rehabbing his 'injuries'. Park will get one more season but if he doesn't reproduce his old form then he will be moved on as well, injuries and lack of games have played a part but when he has played he has been mostly rotten.

Berba will be moved on as well, just to free up wages.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Name them?

I seem to remember a chap who was great. The sort of player United would have gone out and spunked their cash on, no questions asked, before their debt levels fucked them over.

He's scored more goals than my whole team. I'm sure you'd be able to get him if you'd spunk 80 million on him.

After all. The cost of a player isn't holding you back, is it?

Everz

FH is my second home
Eriksen. A lot of big clubs have their eyes on him

I was going to say this and with the way Ajax are going I can see him lumping it. Think he's got his head screwed on so wouldn't go down the Real route.

Calaen

No the cost isn't holding us back, and I've asked for names. the only players worth 80 million are Messi and Ronaldo. That's hardly loads of players now is it.

Name me 5 world class midfielders who are available to purchase, for a sensible amount of cash based on their ability. You fucking can't do it!!!

Calaen

Define "sensible"

Fabregas 30 million, Villa 30 million. Sensible money for proven players at a high level of the game.

Not £24 million for Lescott, £50 million for Torresn and most certainly not Modric for £50 mill

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Name me 5 world class midfielders who are available to purchase, for a sensible amount of cash based on their ability. You fucking can't do it!!!

Lol! Caveat-o-matic. You sound like Fergie, defending his board by saying you must seek "value".

If United was still the club it was a decade ago a "sensible" amount of cash wouldn't come into it. You'd simply pick your player and go and get him.

£30 million wasn't a "sensible" amount of cash for Rio was it? It was a massive record at the time.

Face it. If City wanted to go and get a player - they'd go and get him, money no object, and [whichever] club would sell.

Abramovich wanted Torres. And got him. 50 million quid, mind, but he got him.

United can't do that any more. You're hamstrung by debt. The purchasing power of the club is diluted by your arab-manc rivals, a ruski-londoner, a royal-backed spaniard, and possibly an oil-backed frog.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Fabregas 30 million, Villa 30 million. Sensible money for proven players at a high level of the game.

Not £24 million for Lescott, £50 million for Torresn and most certainly not Modric for £50 mill

Hazard, Goetze, Hamsik, Marvin Martin, Belhanda would all be 'available' to join bigger clubs. That's just 5 top quality players off my head.

Calaen

Lol! Caveat-o-matic. You sound like Fergie, defending his board by saying you must seek "value".

If United was still the club it was a decade ago a "sensible" amount of cash wouldn't come into it. You'd simply pick your player and go and get him.

£30 million wasn't a "sensible" amount of cash for Rio was it? It was a massive record at the time.

Face it. If City wanted to go and get a player - they'd go and get him, money no object, and [whichever] club would sell.

Abramovich wanted Torres. And got him. 50 million quid, mind, but he got him.

United can't do that any more. You're hamstrung by debt. The purchasing power of the club is diluted by your arab-manc rivals, a ruski-londoner, a royal-backed spaniard, and possibly an oil-backed frog.

Just name some of those players you keep telling me exist out there, We've just signed De Gea, Jones, Smalling for the long term who are going to replace Ferdinand/Vidic. I don't see what your fetish is with UTD spending money.

£30 million was a sensible amount for Ferdinand we got that investment back due to the succesful defense pairings he has formed since coming. Rooneys figure was also a gamble but it's worked out cheap again down to the success of him.

City can spend what they want it does not mean they are getting a good fucking player, Barry, Shit, Milner shit, Lescott shit, Clichy shit, Adebayor a joke, santa cruz, Jo, Benjani.The list goes on and they are all as ridiculous as each other.

Mark hughes signed Kompany for 6 million pounds he's double the player of Lescott/Kolo Toure.

The amount of money spent is irrelevant if the player is not a success.

I'll let you go and play FM for a bit, you might get some ideas of players!

Calaen

Hazard, Goetze, Hamsik, Marvin Martin, Belhanda would all be 'available' to join bigger clubs. That's just 5 top quality players off my head.

Someone mentioned Erikson earlier as well, they are all quality players, but they aint worth 50 million are they?

I said earlier myself I'm hoping that Utd go in for Hazard as I like him alot.

But alot of those names while quality are not proven at the top level of european football, nor are they playing for top top teams.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I don't see what your fetish is with UTD spending money.

I don't have one. I was agreeing with others that you're no longer a top-tier club when it comes to your ability to spend.

Name any world-class midfielder you care to name - and there are world class ones out there. The problem is you can no longer afford to go get them...

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Someone mentioned Erikson earlier as well, they are all quality players, but they aint worth 50 million are they?

I said earlier myself I'm hoping that Utd go in for Hazard as I like him alot.

But alot of those names while quality are not proven at the top level of european football, nor are they playing for top top teams.

You said available. Players playing for "top top teams" aren't available, so not sure what you're getting at.

Calaen

You said available. Players playing for "top top teams" aren't available, so not sure what you're getting at.

Apologies, if you got the wrong end of the stick, I was asking Scouse to name these so called world class players that are available to purchase from top clubs.

I used Fabregas and Villas as examples because I think they highlight very good value for players that were proven at a top level.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Fabregas was a special case though, his fee and availability was only to one club, which is a very very rare case. His deal was for lower money than it should have been because of a few reasons, mainly that it was only Barca bidding, he wanted to leave and it helped smooth over a few fractious relations of other youngsters of theirs we've recently stolen. We also got a clause regarding potential future buy back on him too, so when he's fed up of winning everything he can come back and go back to not winning :D

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
What about Rodwell? what has happened to him lately? not heard about him in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom