Football The 2011/2012 Season Thread

megadave

I am a FH squatter
leave them alone, they've got enough to be gloomy about with their recent signings

Lethul

FH is my second home

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Wenger saying cesc and Nasri going nowhere.

Wonder if it's all a front for the media????

Wonder how the Modric saga is going to pan out, Harry is stuck between his chairman who he has always said is superb, against Modric someone who he has always said is a model professional, causes no bother, and just wants to play football and isn't interested in the fame.

Toughy for spurs!!!

Lethul

FH is my second home
Wenger saying cesc and Nasri going nowhere.

Wonder if it's all a front for the media????

Wonder how the Modric saga is going to pan out, Harry is stuck between his chairman who he has always said is superb, against Modric someone who he has always said is a model professional, causes no bother, and just wants to play football and isn't interested in the fame.

Toughy for spurs!!!

I hope they keep him, I think if either United or Chelsea got hold of Modric they would have to be considered huge favorites for next title imo. :p

Calaen

I hope they keep him, I think if either United or Chelsea got hold of Modric they would have to be considered huge favorites for next title imo. :p

As opposed to being huge favourites without him :p

Nasri or Wesley for United I reckon. Chelski will get Modric!!

Lethul

FH is my second home
As opposed to being huge favourites without him :p

Nasri or Wesley for United I reckon. Chelski will get Modric!!

Without Modric it will be between City/Chelsea/United, maybe Arsenal if they manage to keep Nasri/Fabregas. But Chelsea gets Modric i'd put them a bit ahead of the others, same with United.

So they are "favorites" now, but joint favorites. (Did that make sense? :p )

Ormorof

FH is my second home
wont matter much if Liverpool dont intend to take Europa League seriously (which few English teams do)

He's a pretty good player though, but not exactly "set the world on fire" style signing :p

eksdee

FH is my second home
BBC Sport - Wolves agree £7m fee to buy Roger Johnson from Birmingham

7m for a championship 28 year old defender? what have I missed?

That he has been excellent for Birmingham and is more than likely going to turn out to be a quality signing for Wolves? Birmingham had a very good defense for the past few seasons and it wasn't much of a coincidence that they struggled last season when the Dann/Johnson partnership was broken up through injury.

And £7m really isn't a lot for a good English player in the prime of their career in this day and age. Especially when players like Jordan Henderson cost £20m (lol).

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Didn't Ramires cost you about 20m last year? he didn't exactly set the prem on fire did he?

eksdee

FH is my second home
£18m, and he was one of our best performers in the second half of the season. He was also an established first team player at Benfica and somewhat so at international level. He played in the last world cup for example and was one of Brazil's best players - hence the interest from Chelsea I expect.

You're not actually trying to compare Henderson and Ramires are you? Even someone as pitifully ignorant as you can't be that stupid.

Calaen

That he has been excellent for Birmingham and is more than likely going to turn out to be a quality signing for Wolves? Birmingham had a very good defense for the past few seasons and it wasn't much of a coincidence that they struggled last season when the Dann/Johnson partnership was broken up through injury.

And £7m really isn't a lot for a good English player in the prime of their career in this day and age. Especially when players like Jordan Henderson cost £20m (lol).

He didn't cost 20million at all, it's 16million with extras based on appearances and other stuff, the 20million price tag came about when people thought ngog was going to be part of the deal. And anyone thinking Ngog was worth 4 million is kidding themselves :p

I agree with you Johnson is a decent pickup for the cost, experienced premier league defender who isn't afraid of getting stuck in. Same as Dann erally, both capable of competing in the premier league.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
£18m, and he was one of our best performers in the second half of the season. He was also an established first team player at Benfica and somewhat so at international level. He played in the last world cup for example and was one of Brazil's best players - hence the interest from Chelsea I expect.

You're not actually trying to compare Henderson and Ramires are you? Even someone as pitifully ignorant as you can't be that stupid.

Henderson is 21, performed very well for Sunderland this season, and he is English, both the fees are as bad as each other really.

eksdee

FH is my second home
He didn't cost 20million at all, it's 16million with extras based on appearances and other stuff, the 20million price tag came about when people thought ngog was going to be part of the deal. And anyone thinking Ngog was worth 4 million is kidding themselves :p

I agree with you Johnson is a decent pickup for the cost, experienced premier league defender who isn't afraid of getting stuck in. Same as Dann erally, both capable of competing in the premier league.

The extras are still part of the fee, no? Regardless of whether it was £16m, £20m or somewhere in between, it's a big fee for a very young and inexperienced player who hasn't really done anything special yet.

With that said, transfer fees in general right now are absurd.

Comparing Henderson to Ramires, however, is a sad joke. I actually find it offensive that you're so dumb, Keitan.

Calaen

The extras are still part of the fee, no? Regardless of whether it was £16m, £20m or somewhere in between, it's a big fee for a very young and inexperienced player who hasn't really done anything special yet.

With that said, transfer fees in general right now are absurd.

Comparing Henderson to Ramires, however, is a sad joke. I actually find it offensive that you're so dumb, Keitan.

Yes but then we might aswell add his wages into that as well then??

My point is upfront 16 million they may not get to the 20million mark, due to him not performing and then leaving. Liverpool have invested in a young talent regardless of his nationality and will probably recoup a large amount of that fee back. Providing he isn't totally gobbing :p

But and I've said it loads, I think 16 million right now for the lad is a good investment.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I must say I am still surprised that you are so dead certain Liverpool don't' have any money. Especially what we have spent so far this window :p

The owners don't have the liquid assets to build a new ground and even the projected costs of redevelopment for Anfield has gone way beyond thier cash budget. They are now looking at taking on a substantial debt probably with a mortgage to get the cash they need.

You seem to think they have spent alot, what is the number at? January paid for iteself, this summer is going to wipe out any profit and leave a substantial loss. Yes the owners have given the club a warchest of sorts but it isn't bottomless and if they cannot afford the £150 million to redevelop Anfield then it would suggest they are not as a cash rich as many Scousers believe. It is looking fairly obvious that they are going to have to take on debt to realise thier dreams, frankly I don't see that as a bad thing as long as the money is an actual investment that will immediately start to repay which is what extra capacity will do.

eksdee

FH is my second home
Yes but then we might aswell add his wages into that as well then??

...No. Wages aren't a part of a transfer fee, additional fees and clauses for appearences, England caps or whatever else are. Silly.

Obviously if he turns out to be an incredible player then it is a decent bit of business but it is still a ridiculous sum for a 21 year old who, as I said, really hasn't done a whole lot yet. Shining at a club like Sunderland which, frankly, he only did on a somewhat limited number of ocassions - but what should we expect from someone so young after all? - is one thing, but doing it at a much bigger club like Liverpool is a different story.

I don't by any means wish the kid ill, I hope he is a success for both Liverpool and England but I find it absolutely baffling that clubs are paying so much for players like him. Carrol is another example of this. To put it in context, with everyone harping on about Sturridge, how much did we pay for him from City? I honestly don't remember the figure, but it wasn't anything like £16, £20 or £30 million I'm sure.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_7031623,00.html

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has confirmed the signing of Gervinho from Lille.
The Ivorian forward has been locked in talks with the Gunners over the past week after the two clubs agreed a deal earlier in the month.
Now he has finalised his move from the French champions, according to Wenger, who revealed the news as Arsenal set down in Malaysia ahead of their Asian tour.
Gervinho did not travel with Arsenal as part of their initial group and it remains to be seen whether he will link up with the squad.
Gervinho is Arsenal's second signing of the summer following on from the capture of youngster Carl Jenkinson.

Lethul

FH is my second home
The owners don't have the liquid assets to build a new ground and even the projected costs of redevelopment for Anfield has gone way beyond thier cash budget. They are now looking at taking on a substantial debt probably with a mortgage to get the cash they need.

You seem to think they have spent alot, what is the number at? January paid for iteself, this summer is going to wipe out any profit and leave a substantial loss. Yes the owners have given the club a warchest of sorts but it isn't bottomless and if they cannot afford the £150 million to redevelop Anfield then it would suggest they are not as a cash rich as many Scousers believe. It is looking fairly obvious that they are going to have to take on debt to realise thier dreams, frankly I don't see that as a bad thing as long as the money is an actual investment that will immediately start to repay which is what extra capacity will do.

To be honest I never expected them to build a brand new stadium without loans. But constantly saying the have no cash is a bit bold statement imo.

Other than that I agree with Eksdee partially, the sums that are being payed now are crazy!

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
To be honest I never expected them to build a brand new stadium without loans. But constantly saying the have no cash is a bit bold statement imo.

Other than that I agree with Eksdee partially, the sums that are being payed now are crazy!

I haven't said you have no cash, not once. Never. What I have said is that the owners do not have the liquid assets that many Liverpool fans believe and were led to believe. In the same way that Hicks and Gillett were going to have to borrow to expand the new owners are the same, they don't have £300 million sat in the bank that they can plough in and expect no sizeable return on for at least a decade. They do have a certain amount of cash reserves, also the TV and season ticket revenue plus any income from commercial ventures, however to spend big (£80 million plus) it means running this season at a massive loss or taking out new lines of credit.

Calaen

...No. Wages aren't a part of a transfer fee, additional fees and clauses for appearences, England caps or whatever else are. Silly.

I don't by any means wish the kid ill, I hope he is a success for both Liverpool and England but I find it absolutely baffling that clubs are paying so much for players like him. Carrol is another example of this. To put it in context, with everyone harping on about Sturridge, how much did we pay for him from City? I honestly don't remember the figure, but it wasn't anything like £16, £20 or £30 million I'm sure.

My point about the transfer fee is it only becomes 20mill after the clauses have been activated that may never happen, so until it does the fee for me is 16mill.

The thing with Sturridge was he'd done nothing at City, it was all pure speculation, until he went to Bolton I doubt even the most hardcore of Sturridge fans thought he actually had that in his locker. Because on performances for City and the few he had with Cheslea he didn't look capable at all.

Caroll in his first real season in the premier league was a class above, dominating some of the worlds best defenders on his own, and getting goals and assists to go along with it. Again it's an investment, but if he is unplayable now at his age, with proper guidance and discipline in the future he can become a great.

Imagine him against a Barcalona team, they wouldn't have the first idea about how to deal with him!

Marc

FH is my second home
Imagine him against a Barcalona team, they wouldn't have the first idea about how to deal with him!

Aye. Not like Pique has ever come up against anyone of the class of caroll is it. Im sure the mere thought of it has him shitting bricks :D

Calaen

Aye. Not like Pique has ever come up against anyone of the class of caroll is it. Im sure the mere thought of it has him shitting bricks :D

He'd batter the fuck out of him and you know it :p

megadave

I am a FH squatter
My point about the transfer fee is it only becomes 20mill after the clauses have been activated that may never happen, so until it does the fee for me is 16mill.

The thing with Sturridge was he'd done nothing at City, it was all pure speculation, until he went to Bolton I doubt even the most hardcore of Sturridge fans thought he actually had that in his locker. Because on performances for City and the few he had with Cheslea he didn't look capable at all.

Caroll in his first real season in the premier league was a class above, dominating some of the worlds best defenders on his own, and getting goals and assists to go along with it. Again it's an investment, but if he is unplayable now at his age, with proper guidance and discipline in the future he can become a great.

Sturridge did well whenever he started at Chelsea (which was never in the prem 'cos carlo was a bit of a tool :( ) Think he scored most starts in other competitions though. Majority of Chelsea fans would have had him ahead of Kalou ever since he looked dangerous in the Charity Shield against Man Utd.

I've not seen Carroll dominate any world's best defenders yet, any decent comps of him doing so?

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Yeah well Holland tried to batter the fuck out of the Barcelona team (I know what I said) and that didn't work in the end either did it? :p

Calaen

Sturridge did well whenever he started at Chelsea (which was never in the prem 'cos carlo was a bit of a tool :( ) Think he scored most starts in other competitions though. Majority of Chelsea fans would have had him ahead of Kalou ever since he looked dangerous in the Charity Shield against Man Utd.

I've not seen Carroll dominate any world's best defenders yet, any decent comps of him doing so?

He was a massive handfull against Vidic ferdinand in the first game of the season last year despite not scoring, Then Against Arsenal at the emirates, against Man City when he played for Liverpool. All against teams in the top 4 of the premier league. He never looked out of his depth against them. Unlike Torres ofc who looked like he'd made the jump from the local 11 year olds team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom