WTF? Teenager's brain removed after drinking cocktail.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Aye, like I said in the random spam thread. Utterly, utterly retarded.

I really don't understand the thought process, or what makes people think this is a good idea?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Eh, liquid nitrogen in a drink? are they fucking mad? I don't know whos more stupid, the bar for selling it or the 18 year old for buying it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It looks cool, it makes you look hip, it sells like sh*t and it's murder (y)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Eh, liquid nitrogen in a drink? are they fucking mad? I don't know whos more stupid, the bar for selling it or the 18 year old for buying it.

The bar. Self-evidently. Why would the girl expect it to be dangerous when its on-sale in a bar?

Fweddy

FH is my second home
I couldn't understand how the hell that would happen but apparently liquid nitrogen is sometimes used as a quick and fancy looking way to chill glasses or freeze ingredients so I'd guess that's what they were using it for and some got in a drink by accident.

Chilly

Balls of steel
I couldn't understand how the hell that would happen but apparently liquid nitrogen is sometimes used as a quick and fancy looking way to chill glasses or freeze ingredients so I'd guess that's what they were using it for and some got in a drink by accident.
nah, the story I read implied it was part of a specific cocktail (almost certainly to make it smoke and look elite). Bar is insane to put that in a drink, though. Court case incoming...

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
The bar. Self-evidently. Why would the girl expect it to be dangerous when its on-sale in a bar?

one hopes she might have at least one working brain cell ?

i have to admit, i read that story and for the first few seconds was on a "wtf" bent, then just started laughing, darwinism rides again

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
One assumes that it's not used in a dangerous way, as in mixed in the drink. Much like liquid nitro in cooking.

Not to mention, liquid nitrogen isn't "common knowledge" for an 18 year old.

Nate

FH is my second home
Probably looks like this

But yeah it seems some bars are using gimmicks, and not paying any attention to safety. Like they ever have before.

There really should be a clamp down so bars are more responsible, they help create the night scene in towns/cities now which unless you're out getting completely wasted yourself isn't somewhere you want to be.

DaGaffer

one hopes she might have at least one working brain cell ?

i have to admit, i read that story and for the first few seconds was on a "wtf" bent, then just started laughing, darwinism rides again

No, sorry, how would she necessarily know? Just because you know about chemistry doesn't mean she would. Intelligence has nothing to do with it. She will assume the bar knows what its doing. If a bar served you methyl alcohol and you went blind would you have had a duty of care to check what you were drinking? Of course not.

The only thing I don't understand is, how come its only her? Is this the first (and last) time this bar ever put together this cocktail? There's definitely a lot detail missing here.

Mabs

depends if she asked for it, or a mate did it "for a laugh" or if the bartender offered it to her, but its ENTIRELY her fault for drinking it -IF- she knew what was in it, if it was a spiked drink, then no.. but then i have an incredibly low opinion of most teenagers so im assuming it was voluntary :p

and if she didnt know what it was, why the fuck would u drink it, not knowing it was dangerous is hardly an excuse

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The only thing I don't understand is, how come its only her? Is this the first (and last) time this bar ever put together this cocktail? There's definitely a lot detail missing here.

Probably due to a bar taking on dangerous chemicals to sell more stuff, then forgetting to apply a common sense "let's teach these new bartenders how to use this dangerous sh*t" moment.

and if she didnt know what it was, why the fuck would u drink it, not knowing it was dangerous is hardly an excuse

If it's just a drink served in a bar, then it's common practice to not question everything that goes in it. Hell, i don't know half of what goes into some of the drinks i gulp down.

On the article though; 18 is a teenager these days?

Chilly

Balls of steel
I can imagine some kind of scenario where they say "wait til it stops smoking to drink" and she didnt wait quite long enough and ended up drinking some ln2.

Mabs

If it's just a drink served in a bar, then it's common practice to not question everything that goes in it. Hell, i don't know half of what goes into some of the drinks i gulp down.

1- if it was just "being served" to people, it would of been more than 1 person...
2- its eighTEEN, so yes, its a teen :p

Chilly

Balls of steel
Probably due to a bar taking on dangerous chemicals to sell more stuff, then forgetting to apply a common sense "let's teach these new bartenders how to use this dangerous sh*t" moment.

Say the word in english. What's the last syllable?

Mabs

I can imagine some kind of scenario where they say "wait til it stops smoking to drink" and she didnt wait quite long enough and ended up drinking some ln2.

ah good point, not thought of that
in which case its self inflicted anyway :D

but seriously where the fuck do people get these ideas from :(

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
1- if it was just "being served" to people, it would of been more than 1 person...
2- its eighTEEN, so yes, its a teen :p

1 - yes, so it's most likely a f*ck up.
2 - 18-19 will never be a teenager, that would lead to some serious thought issues :p

Say the word in english. What's the last syllable?

Doesn't matter, common implication of the word teenager doesn't include adults. 18 is an adult though ofcourse might depend on the country. (which is probably the case here)

Even if there's some rules like "wait for it to stop smoking" etc, that's irresponsible to serve in a place where people are known to lose their sensibility and perception after a few drinks. Especially with stuff that can kill you.

Chilly

Balls of steel
The idea is awesome, you just have to be very careful. I'd consider doing it at a Halloween party - my mates can all spell and wipe their own dribble off their chin so it'd be safe. Plus I've got tens of hours of lab time with LN2 racked up from uni, I know how not to fuck myself with it.

DaGaffer

depends if she asked for it, or a mate did it "for a laugh" or if the bartender offered it to her, but its ENTIRELY her fault for drinking it -IF- she knew what was in it, if it was a spiked drink, then no.. but then i have an incredibly low opinion of most teenagers so im assuming it was voluntary :p

"she asked for it"? Seriously? People go into bars and say, can I have some liquid nitrogen please?" Give me a break. "A mate did it for a laugh". Once again, how does that make sense? The bar would still have to be keeping Liquid Nitrogen on the premises. Spiked drink makes no sense for the same reason (and the smoke coming off the drink might be a bit of a giveway).

And by the way, everyone drinks in bars not knowing what they're drinking. Do you know what's in Red Bull? Or WKD? Or any other spirit or mixer for that matter?

Fweddy

FH is my second home
nah, the story I read implied it was part of a specific cocktail (almost certainly to make it smoke and look elite). Bar is insane to put that in a drink, though. Court case incoming...

Fair enough. It just seems so crazy something like that could happen on purpose. And like DaGaffer mentioned I'd assume it would have affected more than one person if they'd been serving it like that deliberately. I'd really like to hear the full story on this.

When you go to a restaurant do you ask for a full ingredients list and check everything on it is safe to eat?

Mabs

"she asked for it"? Seriously? People go into bars and say, can I have some liquid nitrogen please?" Give me a break. "A mate did it for a laugh". Once again, how does that make sense? The bar would still have to be keeping Liquid Nitrogen on the premises. Spiked drink makes no sense for the same reason (and the smoke coming off the drink might be a bit of a giveway).

And by the way, everyone drinks in bars not knowing what they're drinking. Do you know what's in Red Bull? Or WKD? Or any other spirit or mixer for that matter?

no, i mean someone at some point said "Do you want this in here?" - now if she was buying it, it was her decision, if a mate went to the bar and got it for her, then (s)he should of been asked, or it was put in and she wasnt told what it was.

as its only 1 person, it appears to have been a one-off, as im sure it would have affected more people , if only at random, if lots of people had it done, so as a special drink, surely it was requested ?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's more likely the situation was;

"I want that drink!"
*barkeep makes it*
*girl drinks it*
*tits go up*

And what Fweddy said in that case is completely relevant. It's a cocktail, they don't ask if you want this or that, or if you're allergic or not, they make it and you drink it.

If they make it dangerous, it's their responsibility.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
It was her 18th Birthday celebrations, first time she'd probably been 'out', probably drunk, it's not her fault in the slightest imo, it's the responsibility of the bar to make sure that their customers are safe etc.

and as Fweddy said about the restaurant menus etc.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I ate at a restaurant a few months ago with a friend. Their "thing" is to serve steaks on pieces of stone heated to cooking temperatures. So basically you have a very, very hot piece of kitchen worktop at the side of your place, on top of which cooks your steak. You get to decide when it's done and when you can cut pieces off and move them onto your plate. The restaurant made it very clear that the stone was hot, and that it'd cause you serious injury if you touched it. We were told several times, in a serious tone, to be careful.

I would hope that any bar serving drinks just as dangerous, would be just as careful to make sure nobody hurt themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom