Subs Increase - Merged Threads

E

Esoteric

To Wharfe_GoP

Neither of us are wrong here.

In real terms to the UK consumer it is a 33% price hike. This is the reality of what we will pay extra. I beg to differ that it is GOA's problem, the UK population which is underpopulated as it is will suffer a great deal from this as players will leave by the truckload with very few littluns taking up the game and replacing lost revenue, not to mention the number of people who will think ahh sod it bb buffbot.

S

ssera

Originally posted by Nightchill
They did - in that no one was fired. However, it did stop them hiring the new script (Event) writers that were about to join.

Originally posted by Flimgoblin
:(

where'd ya hear about this?

From me, 'cos I was one of them :(

The real reason was 'cos France Telecom (the parent company of Wanadoo and therefore GOA) was in serious financial difficulties (due to it being slowly privatised or smt like that). They decided to freeze all recruitments for FT along with all their subsidiary companies.

From what I heard no one was actually fired, just they were forced to hire new people from inside Wanadoo exclusively. This doesn't seem to have changed yet, tho maybe with the new cash inflow they'll be able to hire new people and I'll get the job back \o/.

N

Nightchill

didn't mention names Ssera due to being unsure whether it was hush-hush and if it'd affect your chances of getting a job their in the future, hope you do :)

T

trigali

Originally posted by Esoteric
To Wharfe_GoP

Neither of us are wrong here.

In real terms to the UK consumer it is a 33% price hike. This is the reality of what we will pay extra. I beg to differ that it is GOA's problem, the UK population which is underpopulated as it is will suffer a great deal from this as players will leave by the truckload with very few littluns taking up the game and replacing lost revenue, not to mention the number of people who will think ahh sod it bb buffbot.

I have serious doubts we will see mass-cancellation in the UK, Eso. We will grind our teeth and seethe and generally be pissed off, but at the moment, the truth is that
1) there's nothing else out there to go to
2) what is there is even more expensive. And what is yet to come is likely to be as well.

O

old.Tohtori

Go on all you whining sons of boobries! Get off your asses and get a job at GOA since they apparently can't do anything right! Now is your chance to make a chance!

EDIT: you can see right? right.

M

Marcus75

What can I say...they increase the amount for a subscription and still they keep problems like the chronicles in the dark and avoid giving any updates or information.

The very same thing happened when so many had lag-problems this last winter...they were very quiet about it and as before they stuck their head in the ground....

And now they gonna increase the cost for a subsription... :rolleyes:

C

Cala-more

wierd they say they r the cheapest now they are making themselves one of the most expensive online games

S

Solid

Aah Tohtori, if you wern't so arrogant you would be funny.
I like funny people, such a shame, we coulda been the best of friends :D

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by Solid
Aah Tohtori, if you wern't so arrogant you would be funny.
I like funny people, such a shame, we coulda been the best of friends :D

Bah! I'm not arrogant, i'm just cold and uncaring.

You try being a hitman for 15 year in the antarctic and be a happy camper with a sun shining in your backside :p

B

Brannor McThife

There was a time I would have jumped to apply at GOA. Not too sure about that now.

/flips a coin.

-G

E

Esoteric

Tragli,

There may not be much else out there but we get a price increase for only two servers which cost them the same price to run, no fixed xml no eta's on co-ops etc.

It is summer, time to get a tan. A sheet load of ppl I have spoken to in game believe this is the final straw. My sub runsout after the US version of SWG is due out so thats fine. If theres any time between I'll play haxxor cs again for a bit until something does come out.

I refuse to pay more for the same service.

If they said hey guys right we are increasing the price but look we eta you're third server in May when the prices go up and then a co-op server by end of July. I'd think about it.

I mean heck the co-op server will prob end up like pvp anyway, all the foreigners ignoring english and speaking there own language. I'd rather put up with kids from the US.

And I truly honestly believe this will damage the UK population and people playing the game will not renew their subs in may. I don't think everyone will leave but the effects on the likes of Prydwen and to someextent excaliber will be noticeable if not large.

I will see what SWG and WoW will be like sure they may not be cheaper than DAoC but I bet I will get more for my cohonas.

A

acei

Although i come from a game that had NO support, was VERY poorly run and cost £6.50 a month my opinion below is not bias (much :))

I've played DAoC for 2months-ish now and i've had great customer support, low lag (the lag i have gotten was caused by my graphics card and low memory), and a great game to play on... i think a price rise of £2 to £8 is quite low considering the price the other RPG's will be charging like SWG and Sims Online no one expects either of those to be cheap do they? I expect both of those will be £10+ a month and i wouldn't expect them to have any miracle techincal support either.

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by old.LandShark
It's not expensive. But it's going to be less cheap than it was. While GOA continue to provide, well, 'unoutstanding' shall we say, service... I can't see why they put the damn prices up.

I agree I'd like a reason as to why they're going up - I was disputing the 'ffs I'm not paying 8£ for a game' bit :)

edit: and now reading the rest of the thread:

3 more csr? cool. Hope they get to do some event stuff too.

T

trigali

Originally posted by Cala-more
wierd they say they r the cheapest now they are making themselves one of the most expensive online games

Please give us examples, my friend.

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by old.yaruar
Heh, I need to live where you live I'd get about 2.5 pints and maybe 2 movies in london........

hmm good point - that'd be at my local, if I take the bus into town it's 3 pints ...

movie rental I mean too :) and old movies at that.. you know the cheap ones, not the blockbusters.

S

Subbiz

Nice business tactics from GOA,

They say that they are still the cheapest 2nd generation MMORPG, however,

The GMs on the english servers are, in my oppinion, also the most inactive GMs. Compare it to the US or to other MMORPG GMs.. in games like this, its often essential to be able to get in touch with a GM.

The XML's have been down for a very long time, they claim its because of the software mythic sends them.. thats bad service, they have the responsibility to make such things work, thats what we pay for. So they want to charge more money, for less/flawed services? I know its not in any terms that we're guaranteed the XML's, but if they wanna make money, they gotta be sure that the product is the most interesting around.

Lagged servers and servercrash, slow patching, slow service.. and now they want more money.

Get the quality UP FIRST, charge more money AFTER.

C

Carlos Bananos

UO is £6.50ish a month
AO is the same. (both cost 9.99$)

last time i checked £8 was more than £6.

Sub is right, quality up before they charge more.

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by Flimgoblin
hmm good point - that'd be at my local, if I take the bus into town it's 3 pints ...

movie rental I mean too :) and old movies at that.. you know the cheap ones, not the blockbusters.

well old movies kinda fits in with the

"hey this was something someone posted 3 weeks ago, let's reply"

image you're doing

T

trigali

Originally posted by Carlos Bananos
UO is £6.50ish a month
AO is the same. (both cost 9.99$)

<feels a little sick>

I would not touch those 2 with a bargepole, though.

C

chuckas

Well to announce a price rise without any justification is more than a little surprising, and just bad business !

To make the price rise 30% is also galling without an explanation of what extras will be delivered...now we know they are upgrading some servers.....if thats the reason say so.....although that cost can't justify 30%

As others say to charge this high will make people look elsewhere, i certainly will try out other MMORPGs now...whereas I was not planning too before.

This is just bad business management.....especially as the US gets better service than we do as others have siad so often....

D

decline

They need to introduce a /charcopy for English speaking players.

Allow them to copy their character to the US servers, and let us be done with them ffs.

O

old.azorius

Frankly I think it's a disgrace and I'd love them to justify it properly.

Have they said what we will get for the extra subs ? Nope.

The continued excuses about the XML are taking the piss, are they not using the same damned sourcecode for the game ?

Look at that excellent italian site - why can they do it and not bloody GOA ?

Next up we have the issue having to support three languages - why can the English servers not be using the US software ?

However, I suspect like most of us, we like the game an awful lot and we will cough up. The phrase used in marketing is 'Captive Audience'.

Typical GOA imho. Absolute disgrace. Mythic should get rid of them.

Cheers

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by old.Tohtori
Go on all you whining sons of boobries! Get off your asses and get a job at GOA since they apparently can't do anything right! Now is your chance to make a chance!

EDIT: you can see right? right.

Are you really that logger headed? I could afford 5 accounts if I wanted to - what people are questioning is the REASON (big and bold enough for you?) behind it.

Like in: what do we get for it?
-or like in-
Why all of a sudden and without any prior info up the price by about a quarter?

Same price as US server sub - do we have Rp-only and a coop server? etc. etc.

Fuckwit. :flame:

S

Subbiz

Uncle Sick, as I said, quality UP before prices.. we do NOT have near the quality that the US nor the italians and probably the asians do..

and I think you are right, ppl will not mind to pay, just as long as there is a good REASON for it, and saying that they are still the cheapest 2nd gen. MMORPG is _FAR_ from a valid reason imo. thats just an endless chain, then we would see price raises every 3rd month..

Im sure that if ppl can afford to keep their account(s) activated now, they can with the new prices too.. but its terrible wrong of them the way they do it, it is not a standard way to do business.. they dont even call it the annual raises, like there is world wide.. they use lame excuses, just like they've been known to ever since day one.

GOA, you should be carefull fucking up when we're talking about ppl's money, its a bit of a touchy subject... when new ppl ask if its a good game, and if its worth the money, ppl tend to say "yes ofc!" .. but if u just raise the prices like that, with a lame excuse, the flow of new players will be lesser.

O

old.Raziel

Could be they are uping the price because of the upgrade to the french and german servers.

but im not going to pay it, ok its only £2 extra, but the service is still in a poor state and has no improved so i will not pay more.

and if it is because of the upgrade, sod that, im not paying more so the french and germans can have better severs

O

old.0xygen

I have rose from the dead in disgust. WTF?

Tell me why it had to be raised?

To pay fot the new Germany server technology? Bullshit :puke:

M

Murcalumis

Personally, I think it's terrible that they should raise their price. We've not got anything like as much stuff as they have in the US, so why do we have to pay as much for it?

I even don't like the way GOA have handled certain things. For example the co-op server. I was excited about it, and I remember hearing from GOA 'We're thinking about it and we'll let you know in next week's friday news' - it was something like that and had a very positive spin to it so it gave the impression we would be getting one. About two months later I write to Rightnow asking about where the news is and get 'Nah, we never were gonna do it... but we might do it soon!'. Bollocks.

I see no reason for the increase. I mean, they couldn't even think of one themselves to write down for us. And it's not the amount of money I'm moaning about here, it's just the pure arrogance of it all. Well, here's one person who won't pay it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom