Subs Increase - Merged Threads

D

doneagle

WTH? prices going up?

More than a year after its launch, Dark Age of Camelot is going through a new evaluation of its subscription prices, while remaining the cheapest 2nd generation MMORPG on the market (from 9.16 € per month). This change of tariffs will take effect at the 5th of May 2003 onwards, and will affect the subscriptions signed after this date.
The subscriptions still valid before the revaluation will not be affected until they are renewed, after the 5th of May 2003 onwards.

From this date the new subscription tariffs will be :

1 month subscription : 8£ or 12€
3 months subscription : 22£ or 32€ (less than 11 € per month)
6 months subscription : 41£ or 60€ (10€ per month)

On this occasion we have decided to create a new type of subscription, 12 months for 75£ or 110€ (9.16€ per month).

Sincerely yours,

The DAoC Europe Team.

T

talen_sun

hmmm, nothing about this on the site, no link provided by you...

and 3 days late for April fools....

You are joking.... right?

E

Esoteric

Well without a third server for the third and final realm, think I will leave when my current sub runs out, rl bills are more important tho could afford the £30 sub for 6 months for some entertainment.

Tho I hope it is a joke.

Eso

D

doneagle

Was mailed to me when my current subscription ran out today.

Header of the mail :

Return-Path: <herald@camelot-europe.com>
Delivered-To: doneagle@pandora.be
Received: (qmail 21598 invoked from network); 4 Apr 2003 08:27:57 -0000
Received: from unknown (HELO sirios.telenet-ops.be) ([195.130.132.52])
(envelope-sender <herald@camelot-europe.com>)
by eros.telenet-ops.be (qmail-ldap-1.03) with SMTP
for <doneagle@pandora.be>; 4 Apr 2003 08:27:57 -0000
Received: from 127.0.0.1 (LOCALHOST [127.0.0.1])
by sirios.telenet-ops.be (Postfix) with SMTP id 9C77D3BE2B
for <doneagle@pandora.be>; Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:27:57 +0200 (MEST)
Received: from smtp.camelot-europe.com (smtp.camelot-europe.com [193.252.123.31])
by pan.telenet-ops.be (Postfix) with ESMTP id 6080047DC9
for <doneagle@pandora.be>; Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:27:57 +0200 (MEST)
Received: from herald.daoc (herald-int.daoc [192.168.9.172])
by smtp.camelot-europe.com (Sendmail 8.12.5) with ESMTP id 333893B8E8
for <doneagle@pandora.be>; Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:27:57 +0200 (CEST)
Received: (from admingoa@localhost)
by herald.daoc (8.11.2/8.11.2) id h348RvW22659;
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:27:57 +0200
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:27:57 +0200
Message-Id: <200304040827.h348RvW22659@herald.daoc>
To: doneagle@pandora.be
Subject: Dark Age of Camelot: New tariffs

Hope its a scam!

O

Onedda

subs prices going up after may

yep got email this morning about.

8 quid a month / 41 quid for the 6 month / and they doing a 12 month sub for 75 quid a month

still cheeky though

O

Onedda

aye i know and seen urs and tried to delete but shitty proxy at work fucks things up as normal

C

Cadire

Yep it's a real email, I got one for each of my 2 accounts.

In these days of low inflation, a 33% rise in the monthly subscription is a bit over the top... unless we're getting something in return.

G

granny

Re: subs prices going up after may

Originally posted by Impoopy
and they doing a 12 month sub for 75 quid a month

£75/month? That better come with some pretty damn amazing extra special things like.. er... well damn, for £75/month I'd want luri bj's tbh.

X

Xandax

Luckily I'd just renewed my subscription (for 27€ ) - and when thoese 3 months are out - I doubt I would renew anyway.
Increase in prices makes me all but sure that daoc is dead after another 3 months for my concern :)

D

doneagle

gifv Online support ( /appeal ) and ingame GM's for the raise of the subscription fee!!!

O

old.Tbird

I received the email seconds after reading this thread. So they are boasting the best selling game in France, having moved 150k copies then they up the price. If even 2/3 of those are active accounts that's an extra £200,000/month they are making, the patch conversion rate had better increase significantly to justify that.

Or maybe with SWG going beta 3 this week they are building up a cash reserve in readiness for the drop in numbers......

G

Gabrial

Bugger - thats me done I reckon then. Maybe time to try something new.

E

Esoteric

Well without a third server for the third and final realm, think I will leave when my current sub runs out, rl bills are more important (plus mrs's on me case) tho could afford the £30 sub for 6 months for some entertainment.

Tho I hope it is a joke.

Eso

X

Xandax

Originally posted by old.Tbird
<snip>
Or maybe with SWG going beta 3 this week they are building up a cash reserve in readiness for the drop in numbers......

I think this is most likely the reason for it.
They know they will get hit massively by SW:G and the other mmo. games where both SW:G and EVE-online is in beta atm.
SO I think they try to get as much money as possible now - and when the other games hit the players they will close down 1/2+ of the servers so they can operate at less cost and sit with all the money they got when daoc was big :)

O

old.Tohtori

Oh my god! They are asking us to pay 2-3 € more? Oh gods how can i live anymore! Oh the horror! It's like...the cost of a twinkie! Oh my oh my oh my! Where ever can i find the money to pålay the game i love!

Ok..seriously...take some bottles out...

C

Cadire

I've taken the liberty of merging the 2 threads on the Subs increase.

O

old.Vae

Hmm I pay every 3 months so £17 at the mo x 2 accounts = £136
After price rise = £176

That's one hell of a price rise! I'd love to be able to justify charging all my customers 30% more with nothing to show them for it.

The fact that it happens so soon after they have signed up all these extra people for SI strikes me as just slightly cynical (but good business sense - It pisses some of us off but it's an addictive game so they will only lose a few people whose subs will be more than made up by the price rise).

Also in comparison to the US version? US costs $11.95 per month (buying in 3 month blocks so @~1.6 exchg rate = £90 per account so is about the same price. And they get better service and faster patches whereas we get Rightnow :rolleyes: and events!!!

EDIT: Found US Prices

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by old.Vae
After price rise = £176

...umm... you pay 17£ every three months? How does two accounts make it 136£?

O

old.Vae

Originally posted by old.Tohtori
...umm... you pay 17£ every three months? How does two accounts make it 136£?

£17 x 4 quarters x 2 accounts = £136

G

granny

Originally posted by old.Vae
After price rise = £176

Nerf maths again?

3 months subs x 2 accounts = 2 x £17 = £34 (current prices)

3 months subs x 2 accounts = 2 x £22 = £44 (current prices)

Yes, that's a 30% increase which is a little steep (given that UK inflation has been on average 3%/year over the lifetime of DaoC) but it's not £176 ;)

O

old.Tohtori

You should say XXX/year :p

And if you start counting like that.... well...try counting it by day. Not much i'd say. And if someone is so cheap that this seems too much, then perhaps two accounts isn't the right way to save money anyway :D

C

Cavex ElSaviour

think there will be an official message?

E

Esoteric

"Oh my god! They are asking us to pay 2-3 € more? Oh gods how can i live anymore! Oh the horror! It's like...the cost of a twinkie! Oh my oh my oh my! Where ever can i find the money to pålay the game i love!"

Ok you may be some rich brat but some people take money out of the family budget for this and a price hike means the end for alot of ppl, we are in a recession atm with my mates being sacked all over the place. I refuse to justify paying anymore for only 2 servers and to take extra out of the budget for the game.

Its not a case of finding the money its a case of thanks alot had fun bb and can't afford anymore.

F

fatgit

I got the emails this morning :(

33% increase ? Not a cat in hell's chance.

I pay for 3 accounts, one each for me & my sons (and no they arent used as buffbots), so theres no way I'll be playing daoc much longer no matter how much I like it.

With the regular mass lag, zone crashes, shite customer support, they have a bloody cheek asking for a rise of that much.

Might get a 3month renewal on 4th May when my next ones due, but not sure now, I seriously doubt it :eek:

C

Cadire

I need 2 accounts...

... so I can moan twice in /gu at the same time :p

The increase itself is very small, and I'll no doubt pay it until I ding 50 with one of my chars (about March 2004 I think).

Most companies would explain why this increase is required, but no reasons are given. Hopefully it will mean ingame reps as suggested above.

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by Esoteric

Ok you may be some rich brat but some people take money out of the family budget for this and a price hike means the end for alot of ppl, we are in a recession atm with my mates being sacked all over the place. I refuse to justify paying anymore for only 2 servers and to take extra out of the budget for the game.

Its not a case of finding the money its a case of thanks alot had fun bb and can't afford anymore.

First off... get out of the gutter. I work, i pay, if you got married then don't come crying to me when your wife shouts "nerf!" on your daoc fun and don't you call me a brat because i say that the cost of a milk carton isn't that big of an increase in payment.

If you want to Mr Scrooge McDuck then piss off and go play Lineage with the rest of the HUK HUK because it's free and leave the people who don't think re-using toilet paper will save the world to enjoy the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom