Student Top-Up Fees

R

--Random--

Originally posted by Alkoran
Top up fees will not solve this.

Debt discourages rational people.. rational people without a huge amount of money.. exactly the sort of people who know how to screw in a lightbulb.

In 100 years time, lightbulbs are unlikely to require screwing in.

Also on a slightly bizzare sidenote in 100 years time we may all still be alive...."it is comming"

god, i agree that top up fees wont solve it. hense me telling you about the higher entrance requirments. <sigh>

C

Coim-

Originally posted by --Random--
your 13, grown up talk now, hush.
It's ok. If an attempted insult towards my age is the best you got, then Repent does better than you. Anyways, to summarise in l33t speak... "YUO A3R T3H R3T4RD!!11", or something.

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

~shrug~ Something about the way you post leads me to think otherwise. Your friend with the degree in computer science, if he made an effort, could be earning upwards of 60k in less than 5 years. If he worked really, really hard he could be earning even more than that by relocating to another country where IT professionals are in high demand. I know a guy who has moved out to the states and is working as a web programmer and is earning over $90k per year and he is only 27. The reason he is earning so much is because he designed and wrote an excellent CMS which, to be honest, is fecking awesome and then he pimped it all over the place until he was hired for an obscene amount of money. He makes even more cash on the side by installing his CMS for other companies that are interested. I think he has a degree in computer science or something. Hell, he could retire by the time he is 35 at the rate he is going and spend the rest of his life spewing out code at home.

Another guy who did Comp Science with him is currently in Chichester on a salary of 50k doing basic coding for a software company. He is 25-26 (i forget) years old.

Your friend could easily be doing as well as them if he pimps himself well.

Other lines of employment that depend on degrees don't necessarily involve making mega bucks anyway. Science degrees like biology usually lead to research or teaching jobs if they are followed through and those jobs pay crap money (believe me, i know). I don't think it matters if they are enjoying the work though.

Regardless, education should be availible to everyone. If some people want to fuck around in university then that is fine with me. I did my fair share of fucking around and so did a lot of my friends. Most of them studied their degrees because they were interested in the subject, not because they wanted to come out and get a kick ass job and make shit loads of money. If they wanted to do that then they could have studied something like business studies instead of the sciences. At the end of the day I would much rather be stuck on a train next to a well educated pauper than a wealthy plumber. ;)

/edit Like Alkoran said, in 100 years we probably won't need lightbulbs and we will have mini-clones to do our plumbing for us. Better than the hairy, sweaty gypsies who try to rip us off at the moment. ;)

B

BlitheringIdiot

Originally posted by Coim-
It's ok. If an attempted insult towards my age is the best you got, then Repent does better than you. Anyways, to summarise in l33t speak... "YUO A3R T3H R3T4RD!!11", or something.

Despite the fact that I hugely disagree with random, he has made some good points (even though often put badly). Even though I know that he will never even consider anything I say as he is very arrogant in his opinions, I have still enjoyed 'discussing' this with him, and he has certainly contributed more useful stuff to the thread that you :p

C

Coim-

Originally posted by Cap'n Sissyfoo
Regardless, education should be availible to everyone.
Especially you! It's available damnit! :p

R

--Random--

Originally posted by BlitheringIdiot
Despite the fact that I hugely disagree with random, he has made some good points (even though often put badly). Even though I know that he will never even consider anything I say as he is very arrogant in his opinions, I have still enjoyed 'discussing' this with him, and he has certainly contributed more useful stuff to the thread that you :p

cheers :p

B

BlitheringIdiot

Sissy just summed up my stance on the situation brilliantly, dont think there is really anything else to be said.

C

Coim-

Hello? I'm a spammer. I don't contribute. Besides, this isn't exactly a topic I fully understand, therefore I can't argue my point of view, 'cause I don't really have one.

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

Piss you...I mean piss OFF!! I was writing that and alt-tabbing all the time to find a cheap lap top. I keep making so many spelling mistakes because of it. :p

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

Sissy just summed up my stance on the situation brilliantly, dont think there is really anything else to be said.

/felx-0r

Fudge.

/flex0r :mad:

C

Coim-

Piss you...I mean piss OFF!! I was writing that and alt-tabbing all the time to find a cheap lap top. I keep making so many spelling mistakes because of it. :p
Poor excuse really. If you're going to make up fake excuses, at least include a dog or something.

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

Did I mention that there is a hamster running all over the keyboard?

B

BlitheringIdiot

Hello? I'm a spammer. I don't contribute. Besides, this isn't exactly a topic I fully understand, therefore I can't argue my point of view, 'cause I don't really have one.

If I remember your age correctly then you should be deciding whether to go to Uni or not right about now. So really this is something you should at least be trying to find out some stuff about.

(Oh and before you think I'm insulting you, you're still my favourite spammer :wub: )

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

Tease. :mad: I thought I was your fav spammer?

B

BlitheringIdiot

Tease. :mad: I thought I was your fav spammer?

No, far better. I think you actually post witty and sometimes almost slightly semi useful things! :D

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

:D

You always know how to make a guy feel good about himself. :)

You should be given a golden heart award thingy...or whatever that Ezter Ransen doohickey is. :D

O

old.TeaSpoon

Random - I want to do what I enjoy. I like the idea of being a sparky, my dad was one and is now an engineer. I know how good the pay is. I'm planning to go to Uni to study Robotics or AI. There are good demand for people with the training to work in this area, but the pay is less than if I took and apprentaship as a sparky. I doing what I need to do to get to the job I want, regardless of pay.

And still I'm a lazy stoned freeloader?

You don't need a degree to land a nice job. You might need one to get one you like.

It makes me laugh that you keep going on about how bollocks Media Studies is. You sound like one of the Oxbridge elitests who scoff everytime they hear the subject mentioned. Have you looked at what actually they do and not what you might think?

A

Arnor

Originally posted by --Random--
hard working my arse. the way i see it, university should be reserved for the 'better' of us. it shouldnt be an attractive place to head out to for 3-4 years to do fuck all, like the majority of students these days think. media studies and all that bollocks shouldnt even be learnable, its all a useless waste of time.

university shouldnt be the 'cool' thing to do, which unfortunatly it very much is at the moment. which is why we've got so many lazy bastards going to uni purely for the social aspects, and dropping out wasting tax payers money.

im not sure if raising the price is the way to do it, because rich people tend to be lazier than poor people, so it wont deter people going purely for a nice doss. i personally think the entry requirments should be up'd hugely, should need at least 3 a-levels all at A grade, and even then you should have to pass an entry exam to get in.

all these lazy shits in uni at the moment could be out there doing a valuable job toward society, rather than watching countdown and smoking weed. makes me sick.

there is no "you" in that "us"

and wtf are you doing on/in dave?

C

Coim-

If I remember your age correctly then you should be deciding whether to go to Uni or not right about now. So really this is something you should at least be trying to find out some stuff about.

(Oh and before you think I'm insulting you, you're still my favourite spammer :wub: )
Well, not really. I've still got two years till my GCSE's... so at the moment thinking about Uni is the least of my worries. :p

B

BlitheringIdiot

Well, not really. I've still got two years till my GCSE's... so at the moment thinking about Uni is the least of my worries. :p

So you actually are 13/14... ?! :eek:

:)p)

C

Coim-

So you actually are 13/14... ?! :eek:

:)p)
Put it this way, would I say I was 13 if really I was 16 or something? No. :p

Users who are viewing this thread