Strong whine - RvR no fun for the casual player

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
yours
stop replying it wasn't on this page til you replied :(

Garbannoch

Fledgling Freddie
it's no secret that casual players cant compete with power gamers - it has always been like that in any game with a persistent universe (MMORPGs basically)... I was running in completely random groups till I was about RR8 and got regularly creamed by other realm's guild groups but I had a lot of fun (more than nowadays I would say). I agree that it is pointless for a low RR/random group to go to emain and get farmed again and again. Many of those people just want a bit of RvR now and then and are not interested in becoming perfect.
I don't mind zerging occasionally - actually zerg vs zerg fights can be quite fun (that's from the PoV of a mage ofc) but there is one big issue with zerging you have to consider: realms are not equally populated. Albs have roughly twice as many people as hibs with mids being in between. Mythic completely failed to implement population balancing which is a contradiction to the propagation of large scale battles: if one side has twice as many people as the other side you can imagine how fun it is for the lesser populated realm - in fg vs fg fights this doesn't matter and is one of the reasons why many people enjoy it rather than zerging.

Amellisan

Fledgling Freddie
nol said:
Seriously though, you need to rethink the game, no one can force you to go fgvfg, casual gamers are rp fodder. Team up, club together do whatever it takes to have fun, yes they will bitch and whine, should you care? no.

couldnt agree with this point anymore, well said :)

Amellisan

Tzeentch

Fledgling Freddie
this thread is full of arrogant, hypocritical snobbery, coming from the people that are always so quick to throw the same labels on the opposite group.

funny.

Gordonax

Fledgling Freddie
Tzeentch said:
this thread is full of arrogant, hypocritical snobbery, coming from the people that are always so quick to throw the same labels on the opposite group.

funny.

Actually Tzee, I think this has been one of the better FH threads, with people of both points of view putting across their ideas in a relatively civilised way. Yeah, there's been the odd "l33t wankers!/lazy useless zergers!" comment, but by the standards of most of FH.. it's been pretty interesting.

Gorre

Fledgling Freddie
Wabbit said:
For starters
3. yes the average fight lasted 5 sec (no joke)
happens to non casual players too once in a while
chanters on 25%castspeed is bad hmmkay :p
fc gg vs dh gg at zonewall amg
all 4tanks dropped within cast time of a spread at 25%castspeed bonus+mota4+299dext
even reactiontime to press grpinsta was too late :x
long live EoY thoo :p

but i completly agree with original poster
this really needs to be addressed else we gone end up in uber zerg wars
oh no wait albs and GOA allrdy figured that out
PS i think RR4 max BG's orso might be a fun idea
but tbh i think frontiers will most likely be the end of these gankteams or atleast RvR will be very different

vintervargen

Banned
since most of the whines in this game (except balancing issues) origins from the differance between 'hardcore' players, and casual players, it makes you think abit.

i know for sure i had more fun when this game was new, and saw enemies for the first time, at that time you got thrilled by the experiance you got; nowadays you only get happy/thrilled/excited when you are victorious (almost).

the bad thing about this is, at least for me, its very hard to change. if i run in a group, less perfect then the normal (for me) rvr groups, it can make me very annoyed cause we loose more then i'm used too. i know its in order cause of the group setup/people, but i can't stand it so eventually i will leave the group.

i dont want it to be this way, i would want to have fun with ALL people in hib, in rvr, but i cant.

just look at the mids, that are a bit spoiled with winning after savages/zerks, their whine can be incredible after they loose a normal fg vs fg fight. i remember xanatea saying on irc
if you dont get at least 10k an hour it's logging time
andi cant really blame him as a person for it. just tells us how you become if you play (thus enjoy) this game too much.

and its a god damn pity

Belomar

Part of the furniture
On the whole, I think this thread has served a good purpose in getting the powergamers and the casual players to see the other side of the coin more clearly. Not bad for an FH thread!

Gordonax

Fledgling Freddie
Belomar said:
On the whole, I think this thread has served a good purpose in getting the powergamers and the casual players to see the other side of the coin more clearly. Not bad for an FH thread!

Come on everyone - group hug!

(No trolls though)

Jaapi

Fledgling Freddie
Dorin said:
as earlier mentioned nothing stops casual players to do mls or artifacts, its not a race, eventually everyone can get there... (HELOOO lvl 50, rr5, SC were the same, so i dont rly understand teh problem :eek:
Maybe it's because when casual players log in, they wanna do something constructive with the time they have at their disposal, and if you have done any ML's you know how god damn boring those are to do. So they take a lot of time and you need to log at the right time to get to the start of them, and not everyone can choose the time they play at.

Vandar

Loyal Freddie
I wouldn't consider myself a casual gamer, I tend to play 4-5 hours a day, 6-7 days a week.
Even playing that amount of time I find I'm struggling to get artifacts, get scrolls, level artifacts, do ML pre-bg tasks, do ML BG's.
The artifact levelling in itself is crazy. I worked out that to get braggarts to lvl 10 I'm going to need to kill about 1800 orange snakes :eek6: Thats only 1 artifact! I could pve till they shut off the servers and not have 4-5 artifacts levelled, talk about silly.

It basically means that people who only want to play for a few hours a week the game is no longer viable.

Nalistah

Fledgling Freddie
u have a point
but also.. people who have spent hours and hours and hours for making MLs and exping artifacts etc, should be more powerful than ppl who dont have.

Pin

One of Freddy's beloved
Vandar said:
The artifact levelling in itself is crazy. I worked out that to get braggarts to lvl 10 I'm going to need to kill about 1800 orange snakes :eek6: Thats only 1 artifact! I could pve till they shut off the servers and not have 4-5 artifacts levelled, talk about silly.
If you are levelling a character to 50, do you do so solo-killing oranges, or do you make a group and kill higher-con mobs much faster?
Find out what other artifacts level on the types of mobs that yours do and group up with people who want to level those artifacts aswell.
You could say that your scout would bring little to a group to make people want to do that... So take your bot to ML5, give a caster a powerfield - level 10 in a couple of days (going off your own stated playtimes).

(e.g. Braggart's bow levels on snakes and so does Flamedancer Boots - hard artifact to get, but a reasonably nice one)

Skilgannon

Fledgling Freddie
Vandar said:
I worked out that to get braggarts to lvl 10 I'm going to need to kill about 1800 orange snakes

Snakecharmers Whip levels off these aswell, and it is a real pain.

There are some changes around the corner with many artis though e.g. Snakecharmers will be able to level off Aerus City Snakes after patch. This make it much easier as getting an Aerus farm gp together is easier than getting peeps to farm orange in the pit with you.

Keep an eye on patch notes as you might find some of your artis get more relaxed requirements tomorrow. Further, take a look a VN. The new whip xp was stumbled upon rather than being announced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom