Strong whine - RvR no fun for the casual player

nick

Fledgling Freddie
yaruar said:
Although seriously, i don't begrudge the people who's lives are daoc and who put in the 10+ hours a day they need to be the best of the best. No point whining, when it comes down to it, i'm the one with a good job, a nice girlfriend, a lovely flat and a great social life. Daoc to me is a timefiller for the evenings to unwind from work, not a way of life.

Snap! Everyone plays the game the way they want to. I myself play games for the competitive spirit they provide. This is often, imo, mistaken as being a 'power gamer'. I don't focus on the social aspect. When I login I want to do something productive instantly. I don't want to spend my ingame time chatting/c6ing (except with aussie ofc) with some virtual person about work, the gym or the size of my e-peen (short discussion :().

Lethul

FH is my second home
nick said:
Snap! Everyone plays the game the way they want to. I myself play games for the competitive spirit they provide. This is often, imo, mistaken as being a 'power gamer'. I don't focus on the social aspect. When I login I want to do something productive instantly. I don't want to spend my ingame time chatting/c6ing (except with aussie ofc) with some virtual person about work, the gym or the size of my e-peen (short discussion :().

you dont even play shithead :eek7:

Krane

Fledgling Freddie
he still plays better even inactive than u ever did lethul noob :p

Lethul

FH is my second home
Krane said:
he still plays better even inactive than u ever did lethul noob :p

pfff, i are teh king of rvr/pve. i also walk kinda neat and have a sexy voice (ask nick)

edit: nick, why no irc!?!? i wanna talk to you m8y! :(

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
rure said:
I kinda agree with soruzi and with you Gordonax. A player(s) that spends more time in the game should have a higher chance of defeating a player(s) with less amounts of time spent. But with TOA it has come to the extent where this player with less time on his/her hands they dont seem to have (I havent been to Emain post-toa) a chance anymore.

OR/(And?)

It could be the fact that these "powergamers" adapt more quickly to the new ways of playing and the "casual gamer" havent yet figured out to counter the new tricks. Which basicly means he needs to spend more time in RvR to get used TOA.

Very good point. To test this, come to Emain and fight one of the hardcore guilds a few times now with all your RAs up. See the difference now. Then work out which mls and artifacts you will need to have a chance to beat them. Then work out how much time it will take you to get them given the time you currently have to play the game. Think you'll see which of the above answers applies and where the problem is ;)

The fact is that having played the game since day 1 of release and having got our chars to a level where we would atleast have a chance against the likes of NP if we played well and had all RAs up, those of us who average 3 or less hours play a day are now required to either a) pve for 4 months to have a chance against them again or b) avoid trying to fight them as 1fg.

The bottom line is that people can obviously play this game whichever way they like. And if I HAVE to run as 2fg or more to have a chance against the powergamers now then I will. But it is a shame that the difference has grown to that extent.

And Rvn / Dyss that aint whine, it's stating how things are. And to be honest, while in the short-term I'm sure its lovely to be able to pharm us all (and some of us DO manage to laugh when you wipe us for the 10th time as we leave atk :p ), but do you really thing that it's good for the game? Especially when eventually you just wont have anyone to fight in 1fg battles anymore. That's the point we're trying to make ;)

nick

Fledgling Freddie
The point dyss/cgr are trying to make is that every single time a large change has been made the people that make the decision to continue playing and go through the toa grind far outweigh the people that quit.

Dyss

Fledgling Freddie
nol said:
Sorry mate, but I don't see people coming here to bitch about being killed by 1fg primetime. I do however see people coming here that bitch about being zerged at primetime in emain. We are illustrating why it happens, we don't care how. If any crying is done it's normally by power gamers.

Can't say there are many whajn post "started" by power gamers, many towards the power gamers tho!?

And when do you become a power gamer is it at 5hours/day?+
Just so I know.

Thanks

Brakcen
Well for how long haven't groups killed alb/mid just outside PKs. (sicne 2years back? what’s new? =)
But hey maybe not best for the game but not like the game have that much time left in top MMORPG alot of heavy titles inc. and not like hc ppls are the problem if the game die or? its because not that many new starts the game. The ppls that stopped playing Daoc the last month I think have thought off quite for quite some time and ToA just gave them an excusse, the last punch. They needed to spend some extra time to the game again and some dedication again. If you don't have that spirit left its probably very hard to start play another expedition.
Just what I think.

Krane

Fledgling Freddie
Dyss said:
Can't say there are many whajn post "started" by power gamers, many towards the power gamers tho!?

Just so I know.

Thanks

Brakcen
Well for how long haven't groups killed alb/mid just outside PKs. (sicne 2years back? what’s new? =)
But hey maybe not best for the game but not like the game have that much time left in top MMORPG alot of heavy titles inc. and not like hc ppls are the problem if the game die or? its because not that many new starts the game. The ppls that stopped playing Daoc the last month I think have thought off quite for quite some time and ToA just gave them an excusse, the last punch. They needed to spend some extra time to the game again and some dedication again. If you don't have that spirit left its probably very hard to start play another expedition.
Just what I think.

Good points.

But...

/em hands over a grammar to NP guy.

playing another expedition is of the win! Colombus lives!

Chronictank

FH is my second home
simple solution as someone said before.
new battlegrounds for low rr's/ml's
If its server space they can simply remove the non used bgs (since the only real active ones are at lvl 24 and 30).
Just my 2 cents.
Never know the rvr xpansion might bring that

Dyss

Fledgling Freddie
Krane said:
Good points.

But...

/em hands over a grammar to NP guy.

playing another expedition is of the win! Colombus lives!
:m00:

oh sorry did a misstype. and you might see it as a expedition to explore ToA and fight the eviul mau's of stygian.... :m00:

elbeek

Part of the furniture
Medde said:
how much wood would a woodchucker chuck if a woodchucker could chuck wood?

Now remove all the D's and you have,

how much woo woul a woochucker chuck if a woochucker coul chuck woo!

Gordonax

Fledgling Freddie
Dyss said:
Its what you make of it. Why do you have to be so effective if you are so called "casual player" and if you don't have any goals with the game why try to play like a power gamer?

Well that's kind of the point. At the moment, it's not a question of trying to be effective: it's a question of having any chance at all, without gathering a massive group of 5fgs+. And I'm not trying to play like a power gamer - a power gamer would devote the time to getting the artifacts etc etc.

Dyss said:
Btw you all say what would the game be without the power gamers? (can it be?)
One happy place without whajn? Will ALWAYS be some1 that playes abit more then the next guy will the guy/girl that play 4hours instead of the other one that play 3hours be the power gamer?
:touch:

I'm not having a go at powergamers for doing what they do, far from it. It's not their fault that Mythic has severely changed the balance of the game in such a way that it's robbed a lot of people of a lot of the fun of the game.

nol

Fledgling Freddie
Dyss said:

Just so I know.

Thanks

Do a search for the word "zerg".

Lethul

FH is my second home
Dyss said:
:m00:

oh sorry did a misstype. and you might see it as a expedition to explore ToA and fight the eviul mau's of stygian.... :m00:

yeah, those eviul mau's :wij:

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
one point that has been missed...

the powergamers take their 1fg and kill 3fg with ease, they get 3 people worth of RP each.

The casual gamers build up a 5fg zerg to finally kill the 1fg (and a few people die in the fight)

the zergers all get 1/5th of a person worth of RP if they're lucky...

in other words even though the zerg evens out that fight it loses you the endgame - the powergamers get more powerful faster than the casuals.

Not saying it shouldn't be that way - but it's a lot more rewarding in terms of RP to kill easy targets.

That said, the eternal optimist that I am thinks New Frontiers will make a MASSIVE difference - no more hanging around on the pad for 10m every death, there'll be a lot more keep fights, tower fights, large battles - I expect to see people ressing up a lot more than /releasing (or if they do release they 'll teleport back pretty fast)

the new RA system - if you stop thinking about the "omg they nerfed MoC" and the detail of who gets what active RA...

old system:
Big powerful RAs that had a significant cost to get. One level of ability, high powered.

e.g. MoC 24 points, IP 17 or 23 points

new system:
RAs with 3 levels: level 1 cheap, not very powerful.
level 2 medium, useful
level 3 expensive, powerful.

New system you can get a low level version of MoC at 1L5 - it's not as good as the medium/powerful version but it's part of it at a lot lower level...

That principle alone will make RvR a lot less dependent on "I win buttons" along with other imbalances being evened out (some of the more overpowered abilities being toned down for example)

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
as earlier mentioned nothing stops casual players to do mls or artifacts, its not a race, eventually everyone can get there... (HELOOO lvl 50, rr5, SC were the same, so i dont rly understand teh problem :eek:

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
3fg shuld be able to beat 1fg...chain grapple and their dead.
but the casual gamer doesnt do that..thats his own fault

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
[NO]Subedai said:

the casual gamer didn't get past ml3 ;)

Behmoth

Fledgling Freddie
cougar said:
whiners claimed daoc would "die" when realmabilitys/SI/darkness falls/sc etc etc came, and it really just made it better.

you think so?

i don't sc is/was worst thing EVER to happen to the game toa is ok but still the gulf grows

Calo

Part of the furniture
[NO]Subedai said:

stop thinking that everybody is a freak like u ..
it is not.

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
calo whats ur point?
and there are hordes of people who got grapple...1-200 on alb alone. prolly more, they arent all power gamers

nick

Fledgling Freddie
Pressing the right button at the right time makes you a powergamer! That's why us powergamers get all the good lookin ch1x! Like vodkafairy... oh wait :(

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
nick said:
The point dyss/cgr are trying to make is that every single time a large change has been made the people that make the decision to continue playing and go through the toa grind far outweigh the people that quit.
but the people leaving is far going to outweigh the new people coming in - and eventually that is going to hit Mythic's pocket. Can you imagine coming in right now to this game with the idea of player vs player?

nick

Fledgling Freddie
Asha said:
but the people leaving is far going to outweigh the new people coming in - and eventually that is going to hit Mythic's pocket. Can you imagine coming in right now to this game with the idea of player vs player?

I can indeed remember how I felt when I started the game. To me the end goal wasn't RVR in the slightest when I started. Everything was fun back then (ok ok except for the damned goblins!!!). We're old and bitter now criticising every aspect of the game is what we're supposed to be doing.

All that is stopping the stream of new players now is terrible marketing.

nol

Fledgling Freddie
Asha said:

I agree completely not just losing players, but gaining players is hard, hard work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom