Strafe Abuse

Olly

Loyal Freddie
Since i cba to read all these replies (ive read other threads which i suppose is just about the same) i can only reply with: /face or /stick is not allways the proper thing to do imo. Its not like you HAVE to /face or /stick, its just something silly that you actually can do.
Seriously, think about it. What would happen if /face or /stick never was there? Then there wouldnt be any blatant whine like "omg nqqb strafin cox!!1".

Show us all your skill instead, show us that you dont get "wtfp00n3d" by every single player out there. Cause you'd better face it: Everyone strafe. At least the ones that can be arsed to do everything but cheating to win. Hell, its what EVERYONE does, in or outside the frontier.

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
Olly said:
Since i cba to read all these replies (ive read other threads which i suppose is just about the same) i can only reply with: /face or /stick is not allways the proper thing to do imo. Its not like you HAVE to /face or /stick, its just something silly that you actually can do.
Seriously, think about it. What would happen if /face or /stick never was there? Then there wouldnt be any blatant whine like "omg nqqb strafin cox!!1".

Show us all your skill instead, show us that you dont get "wtfp00n3d" by every single player out there. Cause you'd better face it: Everyone strafe. At least the ones that can be arsed to do everything but cheating to win. Hell, its what EVERYONE does, in or outside the frontier.

I don´t get wtfp00n3d by everyone and I don´t have to strafe to win.

Who is the worst player. The one that can win without having to rely on poor netcode or the one that needs to abuse it to win?

Infanity

Can't get enough of FH
Ogen said:
So, strafing to land side stun is fine.
But how about abusing the bugs in run through to avoid casters to land their spells? ;p
Thats much more annoying, and there is no counterparts on this bug. Like you cant walk backwerds since you cant cast while moving. Imo that should be fixed first.

Another thing that needs to be fixed is you nuking me when im dueling :twak:

klasa

Loyal Freddie
Are positionals limited only to PvE and group RvR? Can some one tell me how you get of a positional if you don't have slam and aren't alloved to strafe?

Just wondering if ther is a postitional ban from now on.

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
if you perma cant hit a strafing target there are several errors in your play-style tbh :d

charmangle

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm...not sure I understand why...

xxManiacxx said:
I don´t get wtfp00n3d by everyone and I don´t have to strafe to win.

Who is the worst player. The one that can win without having to rely on poor netcode or the one that needs to abuse it to win?

Im not sure I understand why its lame...what is poor with the code ? If both move around why is it poor net code that not every hit lands ?

Tafaya Anathas said:
Okey, he has achieved 8l4 by not (ab)using strafe, so if a 1l0 stealther encounters him he has to equailze the experience and realmlevel difference with strafing, and that is what you call skill?

Well as long as you dont give me any other arguments to why its not more skill to move around at the same time as you are using the same buttons rather than just using an automated command to face...

Yes, thats what I call skill, dont you ?

xxManiacxx said:
The difference is that ppl that are out trying to get 1on1 fights rather have a nice duel then just win and get rps.

Those that just want rps are those that strafe,adds,zergs,leech

Hmm...isnt a rr8 autowin vs rr1 more rp horing ?:)

Tafaya Anathas said:
Yeah, I think it's basically an RPG game, not an action game (Hint: MMORPG). If you want a fight where only your button mashing skills counts play Mortal Kombat. In daoc you actually spend a lot of times to level your char, make SC, do MLs, artis etc., so if someone wanna compensate it with strafing it's very lame imo. If a stealther wanna land a side style that is less lame in my opinion but still lame, and if he continue strafing after stun purged or wore off he is nothing more than a Super Mario player who deserves 0 respect.

But if thats the argument (that keyboard usage is not what RvR is about) then you wouldnt need any fighting at all, just a automated calculation who will win based on stats, eq, MLs and RRs ?

What I still wonder is WHY its not fair to strafe with close combat chars...alot of people says that it is lame...but WHY? Does it give you any unfair advantage that the other player cant get?

If someone answered its unfair to strafe in a close combat 1 vs 1 because the one with the better internet connection will autowin, then I would understand the argument...but so far no one has had any arguments to why its not fair. :eek6:

/Charmangle

Why is it abuse ?

Tafaya Anathas

Fledgling Freddie
charmangle said:
What I still wonder is WHY its not fair to strafe with close combat chars...alot of people says that it is lame...but WHY? Does it give you any unfair advantage that the other player cant get?

If someone answered its unfair to strafe in a close combat 1 vs 1 because the one with the better internet connection will autowin, then I would understand the argument...but so far no one has had any arguments to why its not fair. :eek6:

Why is it abuse ?

Ok. So if I use /face, a built-in command, it does that I will be always facing the enemy. That's clear I think. So the enemy can only hit me from side position in 2 cases:

1. I break /face by moving.
2. The enemy strafing and because the netcode is far from perfect he can abuse it so land a side style.

/stick is similar imo.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Why is it abuse ?

It´s not abuse, otherwise it would be treated as such.
It´s just considered "lame" by some people because those players are trying to get an advantage (i.e. out of view / can´t hit) and won´t admit that they´re doing it just for that purpose. Instead their explanation is to "land positional styles". That´s just like the buff limit thing in OF, where certain *cough*NP*cough* groups would use every single useless "buff" just to hit the buff limit, which gave them immunity to grapple (iirc.. it´s long time ago). Their excuse was: "hey, we need water breathing in OF Emain Macha because it *could* be the case that someone nicks our real buffs yaddayadda".

But like Olly said: just don´t /face and /stick and try to counterplay the tactics and voila! Don´t know how to? /duel realmmates 4tehwin.

:)

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
charmangle said:
Im not sure I understand why its lame...what is poor with the code ? If both move around why is it poor net code that not every hit lands ?

Well as long as you dont give me any other arguments to why its not more skill to move around at the same time as you are using the same buttons rather than just using an automated command to face...

Yes, thats what I call skill, dont you ?

Hmm...isnt a rr8 autowin vs rr1 more rp horing ?:)

But if thats the argument (that keyboard usage is not what RvR is about) then you wouldnt need any fighting at all, just a automated calculation who will win based on stats, eq, MLs and RRs ?

/Charmangle

Why is it abuse ?

Why shouldnt a RR8 have a far bigger chance of winning versus a RR1?

Latency does play a part with strafing and not in view messages. The faster u get the info to and from the server the easier it will be to strafe and land positionals. Easy way to test this is to play CS :eek: (although they changed the code in CS so it would be client side and not server side thus helping ppl with poor connections to be able to actually hit the person even though the person with low latency has moved out of sight.)

There is something that is known as RNG. I presume you know what it is.
Ofc someone that has far higher RR and have taken the time to get MLs and a good gear should have a higher chance of winning. Although it´s never a certain win because RNG does play a part of it.

Strafing around is not illegal in any way. But for the ppl that play to get good fights strafing is looked as being a lame way to play and only for ppl that play for nothing but rps. Same category as adders,leechers and zergers.

So all the strafers don´t complain if they get added on,zerged or having some caster/archer shoot them while they are fighting?

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
tbh I think the strafing thing just puts alot of peeps off playing melee classes for those new to it. It's kinda shitty templating out, pveing ur toon, going out thinking you can complete and just getting chain out of view spam from pro laggers. No longer is class, stats, spec, care you've put into ur toon important, it's how good u can manipulate lag effects.

When I see peeps dueling in ligen, just lagging, dancing all over, I just think - nah thanks. I know anyone can do it, and mebbe more skill required than standing there spamming reactives, but it's not what the game is about imo.

Re: run thru vs casters. Well, perhaps 90% of the time I lose to an assassin it's purely due to run thru spammage. Can sometimes counter it by also running thru so they lose stick or, facing side on from the run thruer...but basically much less reliable counters than chain spamming thru itself and loses you time after teh PA from the start.

Slowly coming to the conclusion the best counter for run-thru abusers is KoS while visable, keep em out the zone and nm the add whine.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
xxManiacxx said:
Strafing around is not illegal in any way. But for the ppl that play to get good fights strafing is looked as being a lame way to play and only for ppl that play for nothing but rps. Same category as adders,leechers and zergers.

So all the strafers don´t complain if they get added on,zerged or having some caster/archer shoot them while they are fighting?
Amen, if u start winning 'by any means necessary' you open up a whole can of worms mebbe you don't like much.

Regen-

Fledgling Freddie
So basically, your all saying this should be: Dark Age of Who Has The Best Equipmentalot

We shouldnt play at our best, doing what we must to win, we should jst stand there spamming reactional+anytime and let luck decide the battles. Sounds like alot of fun to me. Why are you so scared of strafe? is it because your not actually very good at RvR, just you have the best eq so you win alot?

Strafe is there for a reason, it's to take luck out of the equasion. And make it the player who can control his character the best.

In real RvR you think they just stood there infront of eachother hacking eachother with swords? me thinks not.

Tiarta

Fledgling Freddie
Regen- said:
In real RvR you think they just stood there infront of eachother hacking eachother with swords? me thinks not.

you think they danced around eachother while jumping in the air the same time ?

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
Regen- said:
So basically, your all saying this should be: Dark Age of Who Has The Best Equipmentalot

We shouldnt play at our best, doing what we must to win, we should jst stand there spamming reactional+anytime and let luck decide the battles. Sounds like alot of fun to me. Why are you so scared of strafe? is it because your not actually very good at RvR, just you have the best eq so you win alot?

Strafe is there for a reason, it's to take luck out of the equasion. And make it the player who can control his character the best.

I also don´t think it came giant fireballs from people either. Or that it existed a magical drum that makes you run faster :eek:

Vermillon

One of Freddy's beloved
Why you "have to" use a side stun in a 1 vs 1 fight? Not all styles are for all situation. Is like pretenting that you are attacking a sleeping/afk opponent. For me is same as is to try land a behind style on 1 vs 1. Side styles are ment to use in sidtuations were the target cant change direction due to an other effect (mezz or stun) or when you clearly attack someone that has his side/back turned to you because he is doing something else, e.g attacking someone else, stands still for healing, running away and you use behind styles. For me its lame to strafe when you know that your oponent is there to face you and not fight the air.
Ofc its not bug abuse or something, its game mechanics but dont expect me to give credit to people that belive i'm there to face/fight the air.

As for counter strafe things are not that easy as some people say. They forget a simple factor, which is the hinder component of garrote style(anytime). Ones you get hindered you cant move backwards fast enough to catch up the strafer. Only with sprinting you can move fast enough backwards, but then you will lose endurance too fast and he will win again due to that.

/regards

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Its bloody anoying when hib stealther strafe an land side style but really not lame imo.its just pushing your char to the limit. I normaly dont strafe if the enemy dont strafe i sometimes start strafing when fighting a shield tank to get around he's shield but not very good at it so dont think it works tho ;) (this is 1 vs 1) if im vs more then 1 enemy i strafe 4 teh win...

Like some ppl said does not take much skills just to stand stil an spam some styles an c who can use malice,battler /use2 first or some i win ml abil..:p

Tafaya Anathas

Fledgling Freddie
Eeben said:
Like some ppl said does not take much skills just to stand stil an spam some styles an c who can use malice,battler /use2 first or some i win ml abil..:p

If you put time to level Malice, go on MLs etc., isn't it frustrating to you when a rog rr1 ns kills you because you can't even land a style?

And those who think strafing isn't a lame thing they just please stop whining about adding and zerging too.

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Tafaya Anathas said:
If you put time to level Malice, go on MLs etc., isn't it frustrating to you when a rog rr1 ns kills you because you can't even land a style?

And those who think strafing isn't a lame thing they just please stop whining about adding and zerging too.

Being good at strafing takes time ;) an tbh if you lose to a rr1 rog ns you need to learn how to play m8 :(
If its such a big problem when dont you just strafe your self? ;)

Tafaya Anathas

Fledgling Freddie
Eeben said:
If its such a big problem when dont you just strafe your self? ;)

Because I think it's lame. It's like adding. I stopped playing my scout at RR6 because I can mostly gain RPs with adding.
If this strafing tendency continues I think i just starting adding again with my infil. Mainly on those who strafes.

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Tafaya Anathas said:
Because I think it's lame. It's like adding. I stopped playing my scout at RR6 because I can mostly gain RPs with adding.
If this strafing tendency continues I think i just starting adding again with my infil. Mainly on those who strafes.

then only strafe vs the targets that does it to you? then it cant be lame in anyway imo ;)

charmangle

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm...

Tafaya Anathas said:

I still have 1 unanswered question...is strafing an unfair advantage only some people can get ? (due to faster/slow connection etc)

Secondly trying to tie strafing in 1 vs 1 with two close encounter chars with zerging and adding really is far fetched. One has nothing to do with the other. If the answere to my question above is that both can do it with same outcome regardless of computor/internet connect etc, then how can it be unfair ?

What it boils down to is IS it an UNFAIR advantage that only some people can use or not ?

If all can use it to the same degree then I still havent gotten any answere that explains why its unfair.

To lazy to quote now but someone answered: An RR8 should have an advantage vs a rr1. Yes thats true but should he have an I win automatically advantage ? (which I guess it is without strafing in headsup fight ?)

And lastly...do you seriously mean to say that if you face a rr 1 unequipped char that is strafing and you strafe yourself he will still win ? (still a question not sarcasm btw...I seriously dont know the answere, even though I can guess it)

Isnt it still a huge advantage in favour of the high rr when both strafe only that the low rr have atleast a chans to win the fight by superior skills at the keyboard ?

Well if high rr and eq was what decided 90% of all fights and no skill was required then it would be a boring game imo...in that case I dont know why anyone rolls a stealthers!:/
(since the random generated stuff in a fight I think atleast held to a minimum, since its all in favour of the highrr. With higher evade etc)

/Charmangle

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
charmangle said:
I still have 1 unanswered question...is strafing an unfair advantage only some people can get ? (due to faster/slow connection etc)

pretty sure that depending on the speed of your connection and the speed of their connection/computer strafing will have more or less of an effect, but can't say I've done any scientific tests on that.

klasa

Loyal Freddie
Vermillon said:
Why you "have to" use a side stun in a 1 vs 1 fight? Not all styles are for all situation. Is like pretenting that you are attacking a sleeping/afk opponent. For me is same as is to try land a behind style on 1 vs 1. Side styles are ment to use in sidtuations were the target cant change direction due to an other effect (mezz or stun) or when you clearly attack someone that has his side/back turned to you because he is doing something else, e.g attacking someone else, stands still for healing, running away and you use behind styles. For me its lame to strafe when you know that your oponent is there to face you and not fight the air.
Ofc its not bug abuse or something, its game mechanics but dont expect me to give credit to people that belive i'm there to face/fight the air.......

/regards

I actually think it requires more skill to land a side style on a non stunned character than landing a side style on a stunned charachter. But the way you argue it seems like you are really skillfull if you land a side style on a mezzed character......

That's just my opinion, and I've tried tha walking backward trick :) it works so mayby you could practice that.

Tafaya Anathas

Fledgling Freddie
charmangle said:

I am not 100 percent sure, but I think you can take advantage on a better connection. As I mentioned /face is for continously faceing toward the enemy. But if he has better connection I think he can do that strafe + side stun even if you are see him facing to you just because your computer doesn't even recognized that he was at your side.

charmangle said:
And lastly...do you seriously mean to say that if you face a rr 1 unequipped char that is strafing and you strafe yourself he will still win ? (still a question not sarcasm btw...I seriously dont know the answere, even though I can guess it)

There is a little chance. I had fights where I cannot land a single style, and the enemy was "not in view" 80% of the fight.

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
I have already answered that latency do play a part. Lower latency makes it easier to land positionals.

Just look at when someone comes to hit u and land 1 hit, u run, to far away, to far away, land a hit, to far away. That is latency making it.

Yurka

One of Freddy's beloved
anyone else compared it to fps games where bunnyhopping was in the game...

blame the game, not the player! xD

strafe > 95% tanks on glast :D
had some pure comedy moments vs some zerg trains

Mastade

Fledgling Freddie
Strafing in one on one is pretty gay tbh. And oh yeh, plz just walk backwards so its easier to land the sidestyle ^_^

But as Yurka said, strafing on glastonbury is one of the funniest things to do.. have a french train on you while you strafe, just to see em stop up and do some /rude spam is fucking funny :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom