StarCraft2 Beta Announced

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
You should watch a few replays posted on youtube and various other sites for some inspiration of how to get better at your play.

Stuff like scouting, to find out what your enemy is building to make a decent counter is very important. Plus always keeping the pressure up

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Arrrgh I want to play so much now. I guess it's good I can't though because I have loads of work to do.

Yeah watching recs is always important to improving.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
Arrrgh I want to play so much now. I guess it's good I can't though because I have loads of work to do.

Yeah watching recs is always important to improving.

got a spare beta account then ? :D

:sex:

mooSe_

FH is my second home
I think I'd rather sell it on ebay for like £200 thanks :p

kirennia

Part of the furniture
You should watch a few replays posted on youtube and various other sites for some inspiration of how to get better at your play.

Stuff like scouting, to find out what your enemy is building to make a decent counter is very important. Plus always keeping the pressure up

Wasn't sure if this was aimed at me but I did just this and it has made a hell of a lot of a difference. More then anything, tweaks to resource collection and learning how to mix units in certain situations. It allows you to click a unit and properly analyse exactly what stats it has; if you thought the original needed to mix units, this does it on a whole other level.

Terran/Zerg and protoss all have fantastic resource 'buffs' which simply cannot be avoided. If you struggle with early rushes, this is the reason why... along with what to do from the word go. Terran, block the entrance and place marines behind supply depots there (only building which can be lowered into the floor), Protoss build a few gateways and turn them into warp gates (researched at cybernetics core) to spam a mix of pretty much all of the units and Zerg, 1 queen per base, zerglings and banelings...spam.

Much more fun now that I know how to counter attacks. It does seem a little odd playing a strategy game where matches rarely last past 30 minutes though and being defensive is pretty much useless. The Team Fortress of strategy games?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Wasn't sure if this was aimed at me but I did just this and it has made a hell of a lot of a difference. More then anything, tweaks to resource collection and learning how to mix units in certain situations. It allows you to click a unit and properly analyse exactly what stats it has; if you thought the original needed to mix units, this does it on a whole other level.

Terran/Zerg and protoss all have fantastic resource 'buffs' which simply cannot be avoided. If you struggle with early rushes, this is the reason why... along with what to do from the word go. Terran, block the entrance and place marines behind supply depots there (only building which can be lowered into the floor), Protoss build a few gateways and turn them into warp gates (researched at cybernetics core) to spam a mix of pretty much all of the units and Zerg, 1 queen per base, zerglings and banelings...spam.

Much more fun now that I know how to counter attacks. It does seem a little odd playing a strategy game where matches rarely last past 30 minutes though and being defensive is pretty much useless. The Team Fortress of strategy games?

Playing defensive in RTS has been pretty uncommon for years now. It didn't do much good in AoM orr DoW and they're the only ones I really played.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Yeah 30 minutes sounds like a good long time in most rts games I have played

Playing defensive in RTS has been pretty uncommon for years now. It didn't do much good in AoM orr DoW and they're the only ones I really played.

I think playing defensive is especially bad in DoW because you depend upon constant map control for your economy. Similarly but less importantly in AoM you need to capture settlements in order to compete late game, which means you can't just turtle all day. Having to take map control means that you are going to have to come into contact with your opponent very quickly.

But even in other rts games I would agree, take AoE3 for example (which I currently play). You usually aren't required to capture anything far away from your base in order to compete (with a few small exceptions) and yet a game that goes to 30+ minutes is always considered 'late game', similar is true in AoE2 and SC as far as I remember.

I think it's just the more competitive the level you play at, the more aggressive players are. And starcraft is a very competitive game, so players are generally aggressive by default.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Well, as a Loki Rusher or Thor Boat Boomer I didn't experience many games that went beyond 15 mins :) Only time I tried defensive was with Hades.

And my DoW career mainly involved throwing my bolt up Ch3tan's ring :)

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Interestingly it appears to be possible to at least watch replays without having the beta key already...

It's nice to be able to inspect certain units to get a greater understanding of the game at least. ;)

mooSe_

FH is my second home
You can also play singleplayer without a beta key, but I'm not sure if that's the kinda thing we are allowed to talk about on these forums if you know what I mean.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
You can also play singleplayer without a beta key, but I'm not sure if that's the kinda thing we are allowed to talk about on these forums if you know what I mean.

Aye mate, I just meant without a hooky copy of the thing. :)

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Oh right I didn't realise that. Shame I can't even watch recs since I can't download the bloody client yet :eek:

LordjOX

Part of the furniture

Yep, it was aimed at you :)

I've not played SC multiplayer on battle.net since 2002 or so and consider myself a pretty amateur player. But with some simple set-pieces and tricks you won't die from rushes all the time or lose all the time

I've watched a fair play of replays commented by this guy on youtube which I find fairly decent:
YouTube - BlizShouter's Channel

I prefer replays with comments since they sometimes enlighten me on stuff I would normally ignore or fail to catch

I guess turtling- or building up defenses before offense forces is a natural thing to do for new players. But SC is so fast paced you really want to stay on your toes all the time. Although being defensive can win fights, it just depends on the opponent. Basically if he loses more resources in a fight than you did- you won the fight

It's all about using the resources you get most effectively and inflicting as much damage you can, even a pyrrhic strategic victory might have been worth it

Lethul

FH is my second home
Zerg, 1 queen per base, zerglings and banelings...spam.

Just a little tip, if you have your 2 first expansions 1 queen is enough of you like micro :p Run back and fourth and the cooldown for spawn larva is enough for 2 hives/lairs/whatever they are called :)

mooSe_

FH is my second home
apparently everyone who got a key now gets an extra key to invite a friend

Lethul

FH is my second home
There is a lot of total noobs on battle.net, people who dont even realize you have to build units pretty much :p

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Ah fair enough. Yeah I'm still playing my placement matches now, but it will probably reset by the time I have finished them lol.
Liking zerg atm.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Got in today, 2 mins left on client download ohmigosh ohmigosh.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Anyone want a 2vs2 game? I'm getting fed up of people who don't know how to attack/defend properly...

mooSe_

FH is my second home
mooSe.unreal in case anyone wants to add me. I haven't played any team games at all yet, but I could give it a try :p

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Kirennian.kirennian.

Bronze for both as I haven't really played the thing much. The problem is getting two opponents in 2vs2 which have a set build right from the offset which can't be countered with a pub grouping, especially with potential language barriers... Would love to have a go at proper teaming. ;)

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
I'm in, I played 2 of the setup matches, then went and bought SC & Brood war off the Blizzard store. Not been back to SC II yet!

mooSe_

FH is my second home
I'm in copper atm :( The placement matches were my first ever sc games so I had no idea what I was doing. but I'm in 3rd place in my division of 100 people now so tbh I reckon I could do ok in bronze. I never really played sc1, I've always been an age of empires player, so it takes some getting used to.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Got to first in copper and now I'm promoted to bronze league :D currently in 9th in my division.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom