StarCraft2 Beta Announced

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Beta was announced ages ago, you could even sign up or "opt-in" as they call it. It's only now we got a more definitive answer to when

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
i heard a rumour it was finished sometime last year, and had to be totally redone to make it work for korean TV games, or something equally stupid

been a long time coming, can only hope it lives up to its own hype (cos that happens so often)

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Yeah sorry what I meant was that a (vague) time has now been set for beta, not that the beta itself has just been announced.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Well, it is Starcraft with better graphics. How much better can it get ? ;)

mooSe_

FH is my second home
I couldn't find my copy of sc so I got a new one :p I haven't been excited about a game release in ages now. Not since WAR; probably one of my most anticipated games ever. Hopefully sc2 will actually deliver.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I couldn't find my copy of sc so I got a new one :p I haven't been excited about a game release in ages now. Not since WAR; probably one of my most anticipated games ever. Hopefully sc2 will actually deliver.

We had a great community in WAR, but yeh, hopefully Starcraft 2 will deliver.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
thats kinda the whole problem tho isnt it?

Why the hell would it be that? Starcraft is *still* an awesome game. Blizzard has never been known to be particularily innovative anyways

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Why the hell would it be that? Starcraft is *still* an awesome game. Blizzard has never been known to be particularily innovative anyways

i know starcraft is a awesome game, i'm not racking down on it :)

guess i was just hoping for a tad more on the sequel thats all :)

mooSe_

FH is my second home
i know starcraft is a awesome game, i'm not racking down on it :)

guess i was just hoping for a tad more on the sequel thats all :)

I'm sure south korea disagrees with you :p

mooSe_

FH is my second home
The beta is running now. Anyone get in?

Gray

FH is my second home
I recieved an email this morning from Blizzard about being invited to the Starcraft2 Beta.

Just a shame i have absolute zero interest in the game!

I ordered that Blizzcon thing a few months ago over DTV to see what the new Warcraft expansion was (Cataclysm).

I'm slightly torn at the moment, i never get luck of the draw stuff for beta invites, and here i am one of the few(ish) with a beta invite for a game i don't play.

I almost cried. I hope this means i can get a beta invite to Cataclysm too :p

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Lucky bastard :)

There's alot of SC2 beta videos around the internet, guess us other puny people need to be content with that there's no NDA

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Yeah I guess it could be worse. I was watching a livestream whilst having lunch today. The guy playing had been up for 12 hours playing sc apparently rofl

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Got the hacked beta running replays atm, looks very smooth but visually it is nothing special, 2006 called and asked for thier graphics back tbh. Gameplay hasn't evolved either but then the Koreans just want Starcraft with HD graphics anyway. ;)

mooSe_

FH is my second home
I'm glad it's sticking to the old style of game, I'm really not a fan of the new style of rts games, at least for playing competitively.

Lethul

FH is my second home
gawd I want SC2 tbh :p
I sucked at SC, but still had lot of fun losing games in that game

mooSe_

FH is my second home
got my key today :D I have loads of essays to write, but I have something more important to do now

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Oh man, I totally hate living in uni halls all of a sudden. I can't download the game client from here.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Just found out I got in; will report back after trying it. :)

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
Oh man, I totally hate living in uni halls all of a sudden. I can't download the game client from here.

probably unhelpful, but the client is up on fileplanet, if hte blizzard thing isnt working ?

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Well I don't seem to be able do get any p2p downloads from here, but nothing else is blocked.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Good game; pretty much exactly as expected. It's obviously better looking with several different units and some pretty undercover changes for balancing. I have yet to see anything other then a protoss carrier attack but I'll be playing them next as they seem to be the most different.

Zerg are great fun when you get a good economy going, the creep is much much better as is and you need to expand fast. Very good fun.

Terran seem a little underwhelming but to be fair, I only played as them with my first go and got destroyed very quickly.

edit:To sum up the similarities with the original, even the music is rehashed. :p But then, if you liked the original, it's nothing less then what you'd expect for a 'makeover'.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Enjoying it more now I sort of know what I'm doing... by God have they made the zerg live upto their name now.

Zerg:
My tactic currently is to just expand as fast as possible, have stupid numbers of drones farming money while only having small defences. Loads of money, no force. With the new Queen ability able to 'spit' more lavae onto the back of your hatchery, you can have some 50 or so larvae ready to spawn on a couple of hatcherys, just by using one queen... and you can have multiple queens...

As soon as they attack, they'll defeat a couple of my bases but after seeing what they're attacking with, you can spawn some 100+ specific units designed to take out what they're attacking with and stack the odds a little more in your favour. If they die, so what, if you've got multiple hatcherys and multiple queens, you can do the same thing 10 seconds later and clear the remainder of their force and destroy most of their base before they have time to react.

Pretty much everything about the zerg allow for strength in numbers, hence why expanding is critical to doing well. First time I played as them I had 2 bases and quite a few units who just got obliterated; in equal numbers, they're screwed.

Protoss:
Hugely expensive, very case specific units but when the mix is right, they're ridiculous. The new void rays which ramp up damage the more they're trained on a unit and extremely good and due to their range and speed, you can hit and run on the enemy base without them being able to counter, unless they have a similar number of anti-aircraft aircraft... everythingelse is just too slow to be able to react properly. The dark templars are again, as always, great fun if the enemy has forgotten the key observers...managed to demolish an enemies slow but powerful army last night because of just this, with 6 of the lil buggers.

Terran:
I'm unsure about these guys at the moment. They seem to be a jack of all trades but they don't stand much of a chance against a zerg/protoss army which is well organised as their main units are slow, cumbersome but pack a bit of a punch. At the moment I'd rate them as underpowered and they just seem too simple... Even the yamato cannon is a bit naff.

So anyone want a game on it? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom