Star Wars: Empires at war

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
I'm now undecided as lord of the rings battle for middle earth 2 is out a few weeks after.

Both games have a global view of where to move your armies to as well. A bonus to LOTR is 'create a hero' where as star wars has those cool space battles.. ARG.

Ashala

One of Freddy's beloved
yeah, space battles looks FUCKING awesome, and tbh i dont think the ground battle looks that dull really, i like the thing where you can call air bombing if you have a bomber squad over the planet.

but im unsure of 1 things about the game, how do you actually play it multiplayer wise, is it turnbased or what do you do if you are engaged by 2 enemies on 2 diffrent plant at the same time ?

nevertheless its looks like a VERY promissing game tbh, deffo LAN-worthy :)

KevinUK said:
I'm now undecided as lord of the rings battle for middle earth 2 is out a few weeks after.

Both games have a global view of where to move your armies to as well. A bonus to LOTR is 'create a hero' where as star wars has those cool space battles.. ARG.

dont know the MIDDLE EARTH game kevin, can you give me a link to it ?

Dukat

Resident Freddy
I personally hated BfME, it was kinda fun in places, but after a whle it just seemed to drag on a bit.

I was worried empires at war would be basically BfME with star wars over the top, but after playing the demo it seems that it doesnt suffer from this.

The land battles have a similar feel to them though. They revolve around getting spawn points rather like battlefield 1942, although I didnt look too much at the land battle side of the demo - the space side is exactly what I've been looking for, for a long while.

Homeworld 2 was great, but the components were not (imo) used as much as they could've been, on hw2 only a few ships have any components to take out at all, and mostly its just the engines that have any direct effect on a fight.

However, with EaW, almost every ship seems to have a few of these hardpoints to take out, laser cannons, missile launchers, shield generators, they're not 100% dependant on these things, but if you can take them out they go down faster, which is how I wish homeworld had been.

The fighters are great, the big ships are awesome and you even get hero units like the millenium falcon, although i hope they tone its power down a little - it seemed to be waaaay to powerfull in the demo, you could go right up to a star destroyer with 4-5 squads of TIEs around it, and still managed to take the shield gene's down and get clean away, without them even getting past the falcon's shields.

There are a few videos about, well worth watching, looks like its going to be amazing.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
possible anyone could maybe post this demo to me on a cd?

i tryed to download it 3 times now, i think lucas doesnt want me to have it.

first it created a bad file
2nd time my pc blue screened
3rd time i turned the pc off by mistake

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
I agree LOTR BFME was average because the AI was a bit dumb. There were a few unique gameplay points though.

You built squads instead of men. This meant when half your squad died, you could bring back to life the others over time but only if your squad was experienced enough.

Also when you upgrade weapons / armour you have to upgrade each squad individually, this means you take great care over each squad.

The sequel looks good because you may have a cool wall around your base but the orcs in this one can climb the wall with no need for seige equipment. :D

http://www.ea.com/official/lordoftherings/bfme2/us/screenshots.jsp

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Dukat said:
The fighters are great, the big ships are awesome and you even get hero units like the millenium falcon, although i hope they tone its power down a little - it seemed to be waaaay to powerfull in the demo, you could go right up to a star destroyer with 4-5 squads of TIEs around it, and still managed to take the shield gene's down and get clean away, without them even getting past the falcon's shields.

I could do that with some fancy flying in X-wing alliance lol.

I haven't been able to D/L the Demo yet, but does anyone know if the economic system is similar to SW Supremacy? and can you send out Probe Droids to remove the fog of war on planets.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
You can send out probe droids on the main planet screen to find out what is on or around a planet. Not sure if you can actually use them on the surface though.

tris-

finally got to download this game before a cow came in and trampled on my pc, thus stopping me for the 6th time.

it certainly seems v.good. only played the tutorial and thought hmm, let lose on this thing is gonna be fantastic.

certainly unique imo. you get the turnish play style stuff, you got trade routes, space combat, ground combat, special units, minor special units, units to kill other units.

my fav so far is that big imperial ship with the little figher ships.

oh and movie mode, was loving that too. setup a battle and watch it all like a film.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
I clicked on movie mode and after 10 secs thought I will never press that button again...

Aada

Part of the furniture
KevinUK said:
I clicked on movie mode and after 10 secs thought I will never press that button again...

you thought it was crap then?

Dukat

Resident Freddy
KevinUK said:

The main cinema mode thing is crap aye, but if you click on a unit and press 'c' twice you get a better version that sticks to the selected unit and allows you to look around with the mouse.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
oh btw there is an expanded demo mod thing here

This features an expanded gameplay that looks really good, gives you a better indication of what the full game will be like, however its not the final thing so obviously some areas of it are a little rough around the edges - I cant wait to see the finished product.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Yesterday for me, from Play, hopefully I'll have it by the weekend.

The demo was cool, but I want to play the Empire!

Whipped

Part of the furniture
It cetainly does own. It turned up yesterday!! :)

Unfortunately my hard drive was playing silly buggers, so by the time I managed to install it I only got through the tutorial :(

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Lol! Hope the extra fiver was worth it! Should arrive either today or tomorrow. Once it does I'll have to tell my guildmates not to expect me for a bit! Got stubbs the zombie coming as well, plus galciv 2 out next week! Busy time for computer games.

tris-

so then, is the game as good as we dreamed it would be?

is it worth going to rob that old lady no one likes to buy it?

(disclaimer: no old ladies will be robbed if the game is purchased)

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I've managed to play through the first 3 or 4 missions in the rebel campaign and I'm still enjoying it. I've managed to fend off my first Imperial attack on one of planets (Although if I wasn't playing on easy I think my 1 battalion would have got fucked in the ass ;))
I'm now conquring worlds and building up some strength before I head halfway accross the galaxy for my next mission.
Just met Han and Chewie to ;)

Aada

Part of the furniture
Yep pretty good game imo funny how the yanks moan the game is extremely hard!!

Anyone else here like a game that you can't complete in a day?

Multiplayer is fun too :)

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
D/L the demo last night, I hope the full game is better.

Space battles are ok, im sorry but the SW mod of Homeworld is much better, battles in EAW are 2D, and the camera is really ackward and not built for space combat.

Land battles please its like playing a 10yr old game, I would have thought the land battles would have played out like Ground Control with Terrian aspects introduced not a top down view.

Also the Economy system is flawed they could have taken it straight from supremacy.

A big let down overall.

Kerith

Fledgling Freddie
Dukat said:

i did the entire space mission on the demo with just the falcon :p tho it was alot of hit and run

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom