Some Advice

N

)nick(

Some Advice?

I am going to stick with RDM and sub as a WHM. Steph is going to go Bard/WHM. Is this a good combo for groups, or will groups choose either a bard or a rdm and never both? I believe both RDMs and Bards get a MP regen do these stack?

W

Whisperess

seeing how different levels of bard songs stack ( according to some forum ), Valor I and II for instance, they just might :)

try it out, you can always change later if it doesn't work out the way you want :)

C

Cush

Preferd support from higher level groups would be Whm/blm,sum and a brd/whm. The bard whm just get to little mana to be main healer so it will mainly stick to songs and throw a few odd heals. Not had the opertunity to group with rdms that often so dont realy know how it would work but as i see it having 3 support in a group would be getting a little much. But then again always nice to have a backup healer incase something would happen. So in a group with both Whm,Brd and a Rdm i guess main ocupaition of the rdm would be to go melee and debuff. Problem for the rdm tho is that it will have to rest for mana now and then there for losing TP and the group wont be able to do as advance renkais and as often as it would be with another melee in the group.

Now this is just what im thinking so i can be far off :)

J

Jiggs

both classes are popular in groups.

bards are probably slightly more popular than red mage for groups, but only because bards are normally harder to find (if that makes sense^^)

bards get MP regen 1 at level 25, while red mage gets MP regen at level 41 so from 25-41 bards are def more useful.

bard and red mage MP stack just fine :) (red mage MP regen is 3MP per tick) with 2xballad and rdm refresh MP regen rate is pretty dam nice :D

if steph is expecting something like a minstrel or bard from daoc then play something else!

bards in ffxi are probably the most 'busy' class to play, its pretty tiring since you are buffer, fighter, crowd control, debuffer, healer etc etc :) 2-3hrs of exping as a bard and your fingers are dead :p this is a pretty good overview of bards :)

C

Cush

Originally posted by Jiggs
2-3hrs of exping as a bard and your fingers are dead :p

a tip here.. get a ps2 pad and the dead fingers are gone

W

Whisperess

Originally posted by Cush
a tip here.. get a ps2 pad and the dead fingers are gone
could use a hacksaw for that as well though ;)

E

ECA

Depends on the situation.

If we only had one healer ( I'm WHM so we ALWAYS have one :D ), i would prefer a bard/whm, if we had a rdm, i'd still take a bard, if i had a bard i wouldnt take a rdm, i'd go for a damage dealer or a tank as required.

J

Jiggs

yeah the 'core' of good exp groups always seems to be

whm/blm
pld/war
brd/whm

whenever i've been with those, didnt seem to matter what else we had as long as they could deal some damage :)

E

ECA

yeah you need a whm main, a paladin after 30 they really are the best tank, need war subbed so they have provoke.

you then need a secondary healer, maybe a buffer/melle which means rdm or bard, and some hard hitters.

a THF is nice as well for item drops.

C

Cush

We are doing a group atm with

Whm/Sum
Blm/Whm
Pld/War
Nin/War
Nin/Thife
Mnk/War

And with these setting were able get 4-5 chain with mobs that give ~150exp

Ninjas are realy great with there blinks, saves alot of mana from healing and with the paladin able to heal him self while in combat(just a matter of timing to be able to heal yourself while holding aggro)and the blm as backup if needed (rarly does).

We do 3 chain renkai with 2 magic bursts(both bursts done by the blm). Paladin is left out of the renkai and tp when he get it since he will rest while puller is off and getting a mob and there for he wont have tp 100% when the rest of the group does.

N

)nick(

Bah great :(

What's a good class with a RDM as subjob?

C

Cush

Originally posted by )nick(
Bah great :(

What's a good class with a RDM as subjob?

Pff.. go rdm nick. I dont think you are a person that sit and wait to be able to join a group anyway. Just group up with Steph and invite a whm and rest will flock to you.

E

ECA

bard is pretty good for rdm sub, cuz its a melee anyway so rdm weapon enchants are useful.

+ secondary healer.

E

ECA

oh and cush....what paladins should do is wait till they are on 20-30%hp then use a cure3 or so, and they will hold agro for ages :-]

C

Cush

The "with the paladin able to heal him self while in combat" kind meant that ^^

C

Cush

Originally posted by ECA
bard is pretty good for rdm sub, cuz its a melee anyway so rdm weapon enchants are useful.

+ secondary healer.

And if you saw what he said from the start, hes gf is going to play bard/whm and having 2 bards in the group will be a bit much.

J

Jiggs

nothing wrong with red mage nick!

its a popular and useful class :p

E

ECA

Originally posted by Cush
The "with the paladin able to heal him self while in combat" kind meant that ^^

Didnt know if that was what you were getting at or not ;)

N

)nick(

Originally posted by Jiggs
nothing wrong with red mage nick!

its a popular and useful class :p

That might be the case on its own but I will be playing with steph most of the time so I want to compliment each other skills perfectly. So that say for example we want to start a group I'd only need a couple of easy to find classes and off we go.

My interest is starting to lower again after I found out RDM and Bard aren't the best of combos.

I'm thinking of going BLM or WHM. But prefer BLM as then I can still use my RDM as sub.

N

)nick(

So how about this career.

RDM 18 > THF 15 > BLM / RDM

J

Jiggs

nothing is easy in ffxi :)

well heres a suggestion:

you:

warrior to 18
do sub-job quest
monk/war to 15/7
war/monk to 30/15
do paladin quest
play pld/war

steph:

whm to 18
do sub-job quest
blm/whm to 15/7
whm/blm to 30/15
do bard quest
play brd/whm

its more complementary if steph is a whm/blm but brd/whm and a pld/war is still an excellent basis for a group.

J

Jiggs

its kinda wrong to think you are on 'one path' in ffxi tho.

you might find you play a monk/warrior and u start thinking, this is cool (monks are very cool) and just stick with that :p

its hard to make opinions until you understand more about the dynamics of the game :)

Users who are viewing this thread