Need some help :)

K

Kiros

Which servers do most EU folks play on? And which part of the world, or what you might call it? :)

Im planning to start up with a friend, we'll eventually become Dragoon/Samurai and Paladin/White Mage, if anyone could use them in some guild :)

Haven't done any heavy research on different job combinations, but can anyone verify, that the ones i mentioned aint completely unusable?

We both played daoc, if there are anymore of our kind out there :)

C

Cush

Most ppl are playing on Bismarck and the most of us there are from Windhurst. But the town to start in dosnt realy matter that much.

J

Jiggs

paladin/white mage will make you unpopular:
as a paladin you'll be expected to be 'the tank' in groups meaning you'll need a warrior sub to be able to taunt aggro (only warriors have this ability called 'provoke')

dragoon/samurai seems pretty popular: its not a 'main tank' its just one of those class combinations which fits into a group and is expected to just sit there dealing big damage... which they do very well :)

you gotta understand about subs: it 'enhances' your character overall, so you got to pick a combo where you add something which makes you more effective at what you want to do...

W

Whisperess

... and there we go, it has begun. "Don't do this, you'll gimp yourself / you'll be unwanted / you should do this".

*sigh*

E

ECA

Most people are on bismarck.

Past level 30 WHM's get even rarer, so having a WHM sub might not be a bad idea, however you may want to get red mage as you'll get Cure 3 ( the highest healing spell as sub can get, although your sub will get it when your main is 52, wheras is you went WHM you'd get it at 42 ) you'll also get a lot of debuffing spells, and RDM also has an emphasis on combat so it might make more sense with a pally as your main.

Theres loads of interesting combos, don't let anyone else tell you what to do.

Once you've played the game and got a character to lvl 25 or so, you'll have had plenty of group experience and you can see whats useful.

K

Kiros

He already disided to go Paladin/warrior just after i posted the thread, so no problem there :)

Though, i read something about Dragoons not being able to heal their pet wyvern. And that had some problems, because you lost TP(?) or something, becuase the dragoon needs more downtime to heal the wyvern up..

Dont fully understand it, anyone care to explain what that means? :)

O

old.Dillinja

TP is what you need to use weaponskills (styles), it goes down when you rest, so it's best to rest as little as you can if you are any kind of melee character.

K

Kiros

What do i do about my littul drake, who wont let anyone heal him :(

btw, both of us are planning to be Elvaans, i suppose thats a decent race for melee's ? :)

O

old.Dillinja

I have no idea what you should do about your little drake. But yeah, elvaans are a good race for hitting hard but if you want to take the hard hits go for galka.

K

Kiros

can anyone tell me what job would be good to start out with? Before i get Dragoon at lvl 30?

Thief could be kinda cool, so i could get some easy money in the early lvls, but then again, i read they are terrible at soloing :(

Sorry for all the newbie questions. I like to keep myself informed about all kinds of stuff before i begin on a new game. Sort of a bad habit :)
And i dont even get the game before sometime next week ;) hehe

O

old.tRoG

I'll say this again, just to reinforce it:

Play whatever you think sounds fun!

Do not listen to some old forum rambler nattering on about how playing class X while not playing race Y will make you a gimpoid, or how class F is rubbish as a subjob, or whatnot.

This is not aimed at any one person, it's just a little dig at the elitist attitude which seems to be gradually slipping into ffxi. The same one that ruined daoc.

W

Whisperess

Originally posted by old.tRoG
This is not aimed at any one person, it's just a little dig at the elitist attitude which seems to be gradually slipping into ffxi. The same one that ruined daoc.
Agreed.

As for Kiros - try out what you think sound fun. Don't worry about 'gimping' yourself, you can always change jobs later.

Relax.

Enjoy the game.

There's no rush.

B

BlitheringIdiot

Not so sure I agree there. I play a Taru warrior and I knew when I created it that statistically it would be awful in that role, I enjoy playing the race and as I knew it would be a bit harder I dont mind. However when I'm in groups I often feel very useless, on one occasion the galka thief (who had subbed warrior) became main tank, another time the summoner pet was main tank, the rest of the time I just have the WHM moaning at me of rhaving so few hps. I'm ok with this because I wanted to be a Taru and there is no way I'm changing race.

However had I not known, I wouldnt be very happy with my lil character, which would significantly kill any fun I was having.

W

Whisperess

Originally posted by BlitheringIdiot
Not so sure I agree there. I play a Taru warrior and I knew when I created it that statistically it would be awful in that role, I enjoy playing the race and as I knew it would be a bit harder I dont mind. However when I'm in groups I often feel very useless, on one occasion the galka thief (who had subbed warrior) became main tank, another time the summoner pet was main tank, the rest of the time I just have the WHM moaning at me of rhaving so few hps. I'm ok with this because I wanted to be a Taru and there is no way I'm changing race.

However had I not known, I wouldnt be very happy with my lil character, which would significantly kill any fun I was having.
It's those you group with who's killing the fun, not you.

If he's subbed warrior and you don't have a sub yet - he's bound to have more HP than you, and likely more cash and thus better equipment- but it's all a matter of adapting to the group when picking enemies to fight.

What you experienced is the sneaking influence of old daoc-whiners. If they complain - leave and go level somewhere else - their loss unless you're actually doing nothing :)

B

BlitheringIdiot

I put my point badly, I've only played a Taru so this is sort of a statement that isnt based 100% on fact...

...but if you pick the 'correct' races with the 'correct' jobs, the game will be easier.

I accept that this doesnt directly mean you'd enjoy it more. However If you were unaware that your character was at a disadvantage to others and they all seemed to be finding it easier than you, you wouldnt be too happy.

So I think its important that people do understand how this game works (and judging by the knowledge of everyone here, most people do know how it all works), more can be achieved that way. However I do agree that people shouldnt then just play to a given template to be teh ubererererererer.

F

Faeldawn

Difference between having and not having a sub at low lvl in a group is very noticeable.

Grouped my BLM the other day for the first time (total nightmare, but thats another story), i was being severely outdamaged by all the tanks with subs.

Grouped with a BLM/WHM today just for a laugh and he/she was explaining how they had the same problem in low lvl groups without a sub, but with a sub it was a different story mainly as the diversity of the character was greater and (in the case of mages) had a significantly higher mana pool.

A well equipped Taru warrior with a good sub-job is an effective tank, never let anyone tell you any different. You will never be the best fighter possible, but you can be pretty damed close and of course the most important thing.....you.

The player behind the character really is so significant in FFXI, far more than in daoc. If you are good at playing your character in a grouping situation, you WILL shine and what you bring in skill and experience far out-weighs your racial disadvantage!

K

Kiros

Well, was always very fond of Cid and his incredible jump attacks in FF7. So no way im gonna change my mind about the Dragoon class, even tho it's hard as hell to attain(so i've read).

I'm just unsure of which sub would do me good etc :) And the little problem with the not healable wyvern. But i guess it'll all be easier to understand, once i finally get the game :)

J

Jiggs

Originally posted by Whisperess
... and there we go, it has begun. "Don't do this, you'll gimp yourself / you'll be unwanted / you should do this".

*sigh*

just giving an honest answer...

so sue me :eek:

ffxi is about teamwork, its orientated around group play.

YOU people are the ones turning it into some 'leet' debate with your daoc ideas which have no place in ffxi.

its depressing to see hyped up do-gooders hopping up and down everytime someone suggests playing a solid class combination. "nono FORGET playing something useful, solid and fun and play this insane combination which has NO benefit for anyone"

imo the real egoist are these loonies Oo

O

old.ST200

It's the same in every game. You can play what you think will be most fun for you, regardless of how well you will perform... but later you'll find out nobody likes you.. Nobody wants you.

You'll end up hating the game, thinking every group is elitist when in reality, they are just trying to put a good group together.

What if a group of 6 friends played together, but none of them wanted to be a white or even red mage? Should they all group up and hope they can have fun? Or get a freaking white mage. If you play something "gimped" in the name of "fun", well, you won't have fun.

B

BlitheringIdiot

Originally posted by old.ST200
If you play something "gimped" in the name of "fun", well, you won't have fun.

Thats what I meant but in a more subtle (read: rambled) way.

W

Whisperess

It was this part I didn't like - oh mighty, flawless Jiggs:

"paladin/white mage will make you unpopular"

Only how you act will make you unpopular, and even if paladin/white mage might not be what everyone want - they still have their uses and the group leader can check class/sub-class before inviting if they truly need someone with provoke. If they truly need someone with provoke - there *gasp* is a possibility to change subjobs quite easily.

The only tip I'll give Kiros is: Play the game first, and pick the character combination that you seem to enjoy the most, and don't be afraid to adapt to the group needs - that's all that matters. If you find that you don't like whatever combo you picked first, then there's always a possibility to change.

Don't be afraid to test, there is room for non-standard specs in this game, contrary to some beliefs.

J

Jiggs

when i say unpopular, i mean people will be disappointed that you can't fulfil a useful role in a group.

if you want to twist that into meaning that people will laugh at you, find out where you live and throw eggs at your window then thats your problem not mine.

F

Faeldawn

Originally posted by Whisperess
It was this part I didn't like - oh mighty, flawless Jiggs:

"paladin/white mage will make you unpopular"

I think Jiggs was referring to the fact that at higher lvls people will look for a Paladin/warrior for their groups as main tank (Pally/Warrior is the most desirable tank class for higher levels).

A Pally/White mage is still a good solo class and a good grouping tank.

However, as a Pally/WHM you may find that you are always used as a secondary tank when you have the potential to be the lead tank.

O

old.tRoG

Originally posted by Faeldawn
However, as a Pally/WHM you may find that you are always used as a secondary tank when you have the potential to be the lead tank.

.. Which doesn't matter, as long as you're having fun.

If, however, playing something that is really seriously 'gimped' spoils your fun, then there's no point in it.

First and foremost, play for fun. If you can't kill an easy and even the most laid back groups won't take you, you won't be having fun.

But, hey, you can't put rules on enjoyment :D

F

Faeldawn

Originally posted by old.tRoG
First and foremost, play for fun.....you can't put rules on enjoyment :D

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:great:

:bazbeer:

H

Hyuga Hinata

Originally posted by Kiros
Well, was always very fond of Cid and his incredible jump attacks in FF7. So no way im gonna change my mind about the Dragoon class, even tho it's hard as hell to attain(so i've read).

I'm just unsure of which sub would do me good etc :) And the little problem with the not healable wyvern. But i guess it'll all be easier to understand, once i finally get the game :)

The Dragoon is quite a nice job to play, tho the quest to unlock it can be hard as hell to finish if you don't get a high level player to kill the last boss for you.

It's quite rewarding when you get your liddul wyvern tho. ^^
The only way to heal a wyvern is if you rest yourself, no "Cure" type spells can be cast on it. But resting gradually reduces your TP so it's not a very popular thing to do in a party, so avoid calling your wyvern in a party. Besides it has low HP and would die in 2 AOE skills anyway. ;)

The wyvern is nice to have when soloing tho, just see what it does when you perform weaponskills. ^^

http://www.auroraffxi.com/plug.php?p=browser&f=10

Oh, and let's not forget the Jump attacks! They rock! \o/

C

Cush

Originally posted by Faeldawn
A Pally/White mage is still a good solo class and a good grouping tank.

A Pally/White mage is a crap Tank tbh. Since he wont be able to hold aggro without the provoke he would get from having warrior as sub.

Pally/Warrior is a uber tank. Beeing able to heal himself while fighting and provoking each 30 sec makes it very hard for him to lose the aggro to casters that is nuking the mob. And if you are alone as whm in the group its almost like having a second whm there. Your able to sit just that little while longer to get that extra mana to keep on pulling. A paladin dosent have to have whm as sub to heal you know ^^

All i can say to everyone that is saying "Play what you feel like, all that matters is that you are having fun". Everyone wont find it to be fun to find out after 2-3 months of strugeling with a char that they have ended up beeing total crap and practicly have to start over.

When someone ask for adivice for what kinda of classes is good together saying "play what you want" has to be the worst possible answer there is. Give them pointers and let em make a desicion from that insted.

J

Jiggs

out of 87 paladins online, 3 were pld/whm and all of those 3 were < level 10 when /whm comes in pretty handy to help you solo those first ten levels (since you cant provoke till 10pld/5war anyway...)

there were also 2 pld/blm who were probably using the blm spell warp to get themselves somewhere.

the remaining ones were all pld/war without exception.

pld/war is just a great class, not so much that you 'have' to play this combo, but its just that it rocks so much so that taking any other sub seems a little nutty :)

Users who are viewing this thread