SilverHood

FH is my second home
This is just typical French petulance at not getting their way. We see it every summer with farmers, lorry drivers, etc blocking motorways. We saw it in the Man City - PSG games once they went behind. Twice. We see it in politics all the time. You can't entertain it. You just ignore it, if it pushes the boundaries of what is acceptable, you push back. If you saw the trawler ramming the pleasure boat, you understand why the Royal Navy is there. Keeps everyone on reasonable behavior.

As for why their names sound funny and non British, the Channel Islands were never British. They were Norman fiefs that belonged to William the conqueror, and they never got integrated into the UK proper. They rule themselves except for foreign policy and military.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
PSG are a team filled to the brim with entitled dickheads (with a handful of exceptions) and there are only 3 or 4 French players - you think Di Maria was embracing French values by stropping around and getting sent off (a side of his game seen at every club he's played for)?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
The French tend to protest rather a lot from fishermen, lorry drivers, farmers, etc. I mean how many times has Calais and ultimately the UK suffered a blockade over the decades.

I really wish people would stop thinking that the agreement covered absolutely everything and that it isn't open to interpretation, we have lawyers and courts simply because nothing is set in stone.

No, but I want a degree of honesty from politicians.

I want them to say you know, this could be messy, not tell everyone that everything is fine and things are going to carry on like normal in regards to continental relations because that clearly was never going to be the case.

It fucks with people's lives.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No, but I want a degree of honesty from politicians.

I want them to say you know, this could be messy, not tell everyone that everything is fine and things are going to carry on like normal in regards to continental relations because that clearly was never going to be the case.

It fucks with people's lives.
1) You ain't getting it.
2) You know it anyway and if people don't know it then they're fools. And you can't help fools.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Hmmmm.

This is exactly what Economists for Brexit (Patrick Minford) said should happen. Whilst Michael Gove assured us it never would.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's what the brexiters (including those on this forum) - who give zero shits about animal welfare (or the quality of the food they eat) - voted for.

They all knew it was going to happen. They just don't care.

Gwadien

It's what the brexiters (including those on this forum) - who give zero shits about animal welfare (or the quality of the food they eat) - voted for.

They all knew it was going to happen. They just don't care.

They didn't not care.

The argument was on the lines of 'I can afford not get the shit stuff so who cares?'

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
There is little wrong with Australian meat from an animal welfare standpoint, they farm with helicopters because their farms are astronomical in size, simple economics.

But, cheap, as ethical as meat can be and of a high quality isn't necessarily a bad thing. It is not the same as the mythical bogey man of American meat that people assured us we would be stuffing our faces with by now.

Not that shipping meat halfway around the world makes any sense whatsoever...but neither do lots of things that are supposedly our future.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
mythical bogey man of American meat
The very real bogeyman of American meat.

Size of australian (and new zealand) farms alone mean you can't bring the same standards of animal husbandry that smaller scale farms in blighty have. There's also legal differences in antibiotic useage etc (they're not equivalent) - including practices that have long been bannd in Europe

But now Brexit has happened eh?..

Edit: The thing for me is - we produce enough lamb in Blighty to feed Blighty. And we import about the equivalent volume of NZ lamb - because it's cheaper. So foreigners are prepared to pay more for our better-reared lamb than we are in the UK.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm waiting for lab-grown meat to become a thing. I really hope it can help deal with the amount of land we use for cattle, as well as the ethical arguments against eating animals.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm waiting for lab-grown meat to become a thing. I really hope it can help deal with the amount of land we use for cattle, as well as the ethical arguments against eating animals.
I'm not sure I'd ever be comfortable eating something so complex that's grown in hormone soups.

Much better to eat more plant-based food and reduce meat consumption.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I kind of get the obsession with burgers - but unless you're eating real prime quality - not just in the meat but in all of the ingredients, they're just wank junk food.

And junk and convenience food is the problem. Real quality low or no-meat food tastes fantastic. We could transition to it but it would take a cultural shift that would need a proper driver and coordinated thought and action leadership.

But it ain't happening.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I kind of get the obsession with burgers - but unless you're eating real prime quality - not just in the meat but in all of the ingredients, they're just wank junk food.

And junk and convenience food is the problem. Real quality low or no-meat food tastes fantastic. We could transition to it but it would take a cultural shift that would need a proper driver and coordinated thought and action leadership.

But it ain't happening.

McDonald's sells something like 75 burgers a second, again no matter what you want or think should happen you have to have practical/workable alternatives and if that is plant based burgers then that is a start.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I had a veggie version of a chick burger, and it wasn't bad, just different.

I think I would still want real meat, I couldn't imagine cooking a veggie version of a steak over a wood fire or whatever.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Like...animals?
I eat organic - both in animal and plant products. It reduces to the minimum the hormone and antibiotic factors on the animal side. Reduces pesticide use on the plant side.

In your opinion.
Of course :)

But frankly, it doesn't matter. We either grow shit in a lab or migrate to a more plant-based diet or we can't hit our environmental objectives.

Of course, I've been saying all along we don't make it as a species. Nothing I've seen in terms of concrete action has dissuaged me from that opinion. When low-hanging fruit we can do easily (with current technologies and the like) isn't getting done then we've zero hope with anything even slightly more complex.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Seeing as most PPE and medical disposable goods come from China these days...

You will also find most of what you buy that you think might be German, electronics, mechanical etc is also made in China, or at least the components are, to be finished off in Germany. 3rd country rules were a bane on my life earlier in the year. I'm a bit of a Bosche fanboy when it comes to my power tools, all of it comes from China, they will make anything you give them from cheap crap to high-end precision stuff. Still run by cunts though (China that is, Bosche were good the only time I had to deal with them)

Last edited:

Gwadien

How come the laughing? I'm emotionally ambivalent on this.

Because I thought it was amusing for all the independence bluster we've just become closer to China who are a wee bit more questionable than ze Germans.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Insignificant 3rd country on edge of massive trade zone asks zone to scrap border controls just for them. After they left that zone.

I can only imagine what the response would be were the EU not forced to be diplomatic about it.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Insignificant 3rd country on edge of massive trade zone asks zone to scrap border controls just for them. After they left that zone.

I can only imagine what the response would be were the EU not forced to be diplomatic about it.
I can think of a few suitable GIFs.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Not sure what anyone is disagreeing with. Everyone said at the time that that would be the result as NI is effectively in the single market.

Single market countries must inspect food coming from non-single market ones. It's in the deal. It always was.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
Not sure what anyone is disagreeing with. Everyone said at the time that that would be the result as NI is effectively in the single market.

Single market countries must inspect food coming from non-single market ones. It's in the deal. It always was.

The British supermarkets over here in Spain are suffering with supply chain issues. Even normal post to and from the UK is tedious at the moment :( They're trying to make do with maybe 20% of their usual selection plus Supervalu products from Ireland.

I went to Gibraltar and the excess demand means that even they are struggling with some items. I haven't seen a packet of Twiglets in what seems like an eternity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom