Slow DL speeds ?

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
The problem isnt BitTorrent, its the way that Blizzard have implemented it with their daft 'customised downloader' it shuts off when the download has finished, meaning that nobody EVER seeds the file. Big oversight on their part, with this many people downloading that much data, they should have it seeded all over the place.

I got mine off usenet (alt.binaries.games) for those of you that have any kind of decent newsgroup carrier available. Its version 1.1.2 with the 1.2.0 patch as a seperate download, got mine in about 2 hours all working fine.

Pimpage: www.easynews.com is well worth my £6 a month :)

Mehuge

One of Freddy's beloved
Whisperess said:
Not for the vocal minority, no.
Well ofc the people its *not* working for are vocal.

You only have to look at the US beta thread(s) about to downloader to see that the apparent minority includes alot of people.

The fact that there are all these alternative download locations and people are trying many different torrent clients and others are hosting and using ftp sites to avoid torrents and some are using news groups to avoid torrents, kinda suggests the technology does not work as a download technolgy.

Then there's the disruption to ones network connection (DoS) hours even days after using this technology because of the way the protocol is designed, another reason it does not work.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Bittorrent is ideal for the overnight 2.4gb download, but when you're sitting at your PC waiting for the 50mb patch to finish they should really be offering high speed ftp downloads.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Mehuge said:
Well ofc the people its *not* working for are vocal.

You only have to look at the US beta thread(s) about to downloader to see that the apparent minority includes alot of people.

The fact that there are all these alternative download locations and people are trying many different torrent clients and others are hosting and using ftp sites to avoid torrents and some are using news groups to avoid torrents, kinda suggests the technology does not work as a download technolgy.

Then there's the disruption to ones network connection (DoS) hours even days after using this technology because of the way the protocol is designed, another reason it does not work.
Well, you could try to keep in mind how patching in Daoc was when everyone tried getting a huge patch at the same time. Now multiply the number of users with 10-30 (that's aiming very low btw), and you just might see why a peer-to-peer solution is preferrable. Network congestion isn't fun to deal with.

The problem lies within the Blizzard downloader (as you conveniently enough have mentioned yourself), not the technology.

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
I'm just glad I kept the US open beta client installed. Logged into US servers with dummy username and password to get the latest patch. Then changed the realmlist and was good to go)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom