Slow DL speeds ?

agelmar

Fledgling Freddie
Any1 else still getting really slow DL speeds, even after trying Blizzards tips on trying to speed it up ?

Is it just huge amount of traffic, with lots of people trying to DL from the site slowing it down ?I am 2mb boardband line and getting dl speeds of 5kb-20kb a sec :(

Agelmar 50th paladin
Eloden 50th friar
Sandor 50th cleric
Morak 50th skald

All above retired and awaiting WoW Final Beta :)

Cigies

Fledgling Freddie
[1] Make sure your firewall is not blocking the downloader.
[2] If your upload speed is capping out, then it will slow down your download speeds as your download client won't be able to ACK downloaded packets. Download the Netlimiter demo, and cap your upload speed to 5-10k less than cap for the downloader.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Cigies said:
[1] Make sure your firewall is not blocking the downloader.
[2] If your upload speed is capping out, then it will slow down your download speeds as your download client won't be able to ACK downloaded packets. Download the Netlimiter demo, and cap your upload speed to 5-10k less than cap for the downloader.

i tried the netlimiter thing, and set it to 5kbs, but it did NOTHING, was still uploading at like 28kb/s a second or so

Tiac

Loyal Freddie
Darksword said:
i tried the netlimiter thing, and set it to 5kbs, but it did NOTHING, was still uploading at like 28kb/s a second or so

Did you restart? works fine here

Cigies

Fledgling Freddie
Because of the way bittorrent works, it will still appear that you are uploading faster than the limit you set, as you will continue getting requests from other clients. This is why you see both your download rate spike between high and low constantly.

The improtant bit is that with setting the limit, netlimiter snips these outgoing requests in the bud as it where so even though they still register the data is not passed.

For example, look at the upload download speed in Netlimiter against the speeds shown on the download client :)

Mehuge

One of Freddy's beloved
They should un-invent peer-to-peer downloaders, they are CRAP!

Cause more problems than they solve.

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
Not for the companies they are not, Bit Torrent is a great way of reducing costs. Expect to see them become more popular once none games companies understand their potential. That is if the RIAA/Movie Companies situation doesn't leave them with a bad image :(

Mehuge

One of Freddy's beloved
Companies will dump it when they realise the technology does not work and it starts affecting their relationship with customers.

All who think the blizzard downloader is great, say Aye!

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Mehuge said:
Companies will dump it when they realise the technology does not work and it starts affecting their relationship with customers.

All who think the blizzard downloader is a great, say Aye!
Nobody is forcing you to use the Blizzard downloader. There are other Bittorrent clients that work just fine, thus the technology works; but this particular implementation does not work very well for some.

Syri

FH is my second home
i've not found the blizzard downloader too bad for patches, which is what it was designed for. but for 2.5gb of data? it's pretty bad...

Mehuge

One of Freddy's beloved
Whisperess said:
Nobody is forcing you to use the Blizzard downloader. There are other Bittorrent clients that work just fine, thus the technology works; but this particular implementation does not work very well for some.
Those arent officially provided though are they and require someone to troll forums to find links... not a very customer friendly way of providing a reasonable download service.

Depends how you define work. When I use a file server and download, I get 120-130kbps constant, i.e. max for my connection. Regardless of the torrent client I use, and I have tried various, I am lucky if I utilise more than 50% my bandwidth and its very sporradic, and often it completely drowns out my connection due to all the inbound connections, and thats with my stateful packet inspection fw turned off, its kills the router if the FW is turned on.

So no, the technology does not work.

SWG and many other games manage to provide vaguely sensible download methods, be that fairly slow (but at least dont kill your net connect in the process) or hosted by some large download service. I cant see why blizzard took this cheapskate and problematic approach, kinda goes against the grain for them.

Lizz

Fledgling Freddie
Cigies said:
Because of the way bittorrent works, it will still appear that you are uploading faster than the limit you set, as you will continue getting requests from other clients. This is why you see both your download rate spike between high and low constantly.

The improtant bit is that with setting the limit, netlimiter snips these outgoing requests in the bud as it where so even though they still register the data is not passed.

For example, look at the upload download speed in Netlimiter against the speeds shown on the download client :)

thx mate, that prog helped me at last =D

zenobia

Fledgling Freddie
slow dl speed

hi..sorry to bother u all with the same thing(im new here and i dont really want to bug people straight away)..but my dl speeds are really slow,i only have 1mb connection from bt..but waiting 33+hours!!!.is there something wrong with my connection?..personally i dont think so..i downloaded the usa final beta and have been playin the full usa version(counting the days to euro final beta/release)without any problems.i have stopped the blizzard download and im now using the one posted here by teza(also using azureus),its now at 14hours..is this still slow or does it sound about right with a 1mb connection?.
thanks for any help u can give me.
btw..will anyone be making guilds in euro release?..im currently active in a guild on east coast usa server,but im leaving usa version and would love to join a guild.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Noob question here.

Never used bittorrent before, does it support resumable downloads?

Having the problems described in this thread but am 60% downloaded, not too keen on losing all that :)

Keeerna

Fledgling Freddie

zenobia

Fledgling Freddie
am i missing something here???..i just did exactly what keeerna said...bittornado is tellin me 241hours to dl.it is prolly me missing something..my dl rate using bittornado is only 13kbs...anyone got any more suggestions?..

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
zenobia said:
am i missing something here???..i just did exactly what keeerna said...bittornado is tellin me 241hours to dl.it is prolly me missing something..my dl rate using bittornado is only 13kbs...anyone got any more suggestions?..
You're most likely being firewalled.

zenobia

Fledgling Freddie
sorry to sound stupid..but how would i get around being firewalled?

Audigy

Fledgling Freddie
if its a software firewall, ie windows firewall or zonealarm or norton or something you just turn it off

if its hardware, ie a router, you need to open the ports on the router, how you do that depends on the manufacturer

zenobia

Fledgling Freddie
i turned of my firewall...got speed upto 40kbs..not great but better..saying 23hours now.
start to bug me a little now cause i had no problems at all when i downloaded usa final beta(or when i patched to usa full release).
thanks for the help everyone.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Marvelous, the d/l wont resume, just overwrites whats already there at an even slower rate than before.

Other torrents on this thread dont work for me, get a variety of error messages, probably overused at the moment.

Why, oh why do we have to use this torrent thing? Never needed it before for d/l stuff, so why is there not a normal download option i wonder?

For those of us with the technical prowess of a squashed grape, click, save-as and go is something even i could understand. Sure torrent isnt that technical, but its beyond me, slower than regular download and seems to have more problems than a nun with terets.

zenobia

Fledgling Freddie
is anyone else having problems with downloading the client?..i been trying to dl it since the link first appeared on blizard website and i still havent downloaded it....anyone geive me some advice/help?

Sturm

Fledgling Freddie
Upload it?

Doesnt anyone have a decent ftp? And another maybe a decent upload rate?

Add these two suggestions and go from there!

I'll upload it if u want, but I'm on 512 up :touch:

Aada

Part of the furniture
heres the solution.. play your other games all day about 7pm start the downloader wake up the next day and its done.

zenobia

Fledgling Freddie
yup..that was my intention on friday night...now sunday morning and still not downloaded.

Chilly

Balls of steel
might be a bit of a silly idea to host it on a domestic FTP server, especially if you give the address out publicly. with only a 512 upload thats room for ONE client at 50-60 ish kb/sec. Youd need an edu grade connection to host the file with any actual speed increase over the torrent system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom