Simple, short, +/- sides of WoW?

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
+ its not daoc
- too many swedes on my server, and when you use a quest item to summon a mob, and someone else tags it. Very annoying

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
+ The atmosphere
+ The Guild I play with
+ The emotes and nekkid dancing
+ The feeling of belonging given by the quest system
+ Instances
+ Fun crafting
+ most things except.....

- Raid / Loot lag
- No PvP rewards (by that I don't mean giving pvpers extra abilitys, but ensuring pvp's are rewarded for honerable kills and punished for NPC / low level kills). Although I play on a PVP server, I really get no joy out of twatting someone who can not defend themselves. There are several instances (most this weekend) where I have watched high level rogues (lvl 40+) camping the end of quests for medium to low level players (lvl 18 - 25).
- Low number allowed in a group
- Those who can not wait in turn to kill a mob or deliberately ruin someones quest by tagging their mob once they have accepted the quest those fighting the mob do not get "quest complete".
- The mental age of some of the players
- Blizzard not offering those who are on very full servers the ability to move with their guild and characters to a less populated one.

Gat_Decor

Fledgling Freddie
- some of the graveyards are miles away from where you die taking like 10 minutes to go get ur corpse (yeah yeah i know don't die)

enigma

Fledgling Freddie
fionnel said:
They said they would give rewards for pvp eventually (at Blizz's pace ofcourse...) but i remember they mentioned somewhere that these would be things you would have to constantly upkeep. What i understood to make an analogy with daoc, is that if you were something like rr9 for example and stop pvp'ing for quite a while you would lose your 'rp's'. Dunno how it would really work out.

Your rank won't be a number based on total number of kills(or whatever), you need to uphold your rank. A RR11 player in daoc who is inactive would drop from the rankinglists. Wether that means that his main rank will drop or it will be 'hidden' I don't know though.

Rankings will only consist of active players atleast.

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/pvp/pvp-article.html

The PvP rankings will change regularly to reflect the best PvP players on the servers each week.

Tristessa

One of Freddy's beloved
Aside from graphics/atmosphere that many others have posted...

+ Not having to search through websites to get the quests done
+ Being able to have several quests for your level at the same time, letting you choose what you want to do depending on your mood and how much time you got.
+ Hunting down pesky rabbits and skinning them, a true tribute to Elmer Fudd and all of his suffering.
+ /train ;)

- Could use a few extra races/classes though something like that will prolly be added later on. Kinda sucks that Horde doesnt have at least one good looking character :p

- Overzealous teenagers spamming *OMG HORDE IN GOLDSHIRE etc, SOMEONE KILL HIM!!!!!11111*

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Yoni said:
- Blizzard not offering those who are on very full servers the ability to move with their guild and characters to a less populated one.

Blizz should sort something out like this in the next few months for players on servers with a heavy load and low population servers. So characters on both can move to a server with an active population, but that isn't too busy or too quiet.

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
i think the character transfer stuff is being looked at

im sure i remember reading a blizz post about it

Hansmoleman

Fledgling Freddie
Tristessa said:
this one stays on my list
+/moo while playing a tauren
+/silly while on a gnome
+/dance on anything
+AH
+killing the ewul wabbits
+slaughtering deers as they run in groups with frost nova >: )
-/1 gets on my tits
-nobody ever wants to go to wailing caverns now ive reached the level :(

Filip

Fledgling Freddie
- Quest are fucking boring ... Run to point A.. kill X mobs ..run back or .. excort this cow for X min and the the Cow's father the Bull get happy..
- give me grouping back ....
+ nice crafting system...

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
+ QUests - probably some of the most interesting and well written quests of any game I've played. Yes there is some travelling involved, but if you read all the material supplied it sets it in context and makes sense. Legend of Stavalan is a good example of this.

- Crafting - for the higher level crfating recipes you have to travel a feck of a long way.

Garnet

Fledgling Freddie
Sendraks said:
+ QUests - probably some of the most interesting and well written quests of any game I've played. Yes there is some travelling involved, but if you read all the material supplied it sets it in context and makes sense. Legend of Stavalan is a good example of this.

- Crafting - for the higher level crfating recipes you have to travel a feck of a long way.

Thats a good quest, its fun being suddenly attacked from a ghost stalking you around each step :)

Tristessa

One of Freddy's beloved
Sendraks said:

Tbh travelling around is fun :) You get to explore the world at an appropriate level and see as much as you can, while it's still challenging. Going back at lvl60, to areas you havent seen, that are filled with lvl5 mobs doesnt sound alot of fun :m00:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Garnet said:
Thats a good quest, its fun being suddenly attacked from a ghost stalking you around each step :)

Well won't be a suprise anymore now will it you spoiler?!?!

I kid :D

Actually the biggest + thing about WoW, along the nice answers on this thread, thank-you-very-much, is the pre-paid-play-card-thing.

60 days on one card and the cost is minimally more then with a credit card. Me, with the desire of getting a CC beig as much as humping a blender, is quite happy with buying playcards from a store.

Kinda like buying doomtrooper cards....but with less possibility to get a bauhaus blitzer for the ferkin 50th time...

Guess all i need is a computer now :(

Falcon

Fledgling Freddie
+ It's new
+ It's had a lot of time put into the creation of the world
+ Crafting is fun
+ The collectors edition is the best game box and content ever ;)

- The engine is already dated, far too low poly and without the graphics effects to back up a low poly engine (see Doom 3 for how low poly can still work in combination with other effects). Also lots of animations seem dire, the casting animations, at least for my druid must've taken all of 5 seconds to produce
- The player models mostly suck, elves look like a cross breed between jar jar binks and ozzy osbourne
- Repetitive, levelling through questing is fun for the first 5 - 10 levels then gets horribly dull, too much running at a too slow movement rate
- Levelling in general feels far too slow and grind-like, have tried questing and just farming, perhaps DAoC: Catacombs just spoilt me but level 15 - 20 in WoW is already feeling like lvl35 - 40 in DAoC

I still feel DAoC is the much better game right now, certainly since Catacombs, the problem is most my friends are playing WoW so I don't have many people to chat to in DAoC anymore leaving me with a choice of being bored in WoW or bored in DAoC :p

WTB new MMOG already, preferably a complete and utter clone of pre-trammel UO but somewhat updated :p

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
Falcon said:
- Levelling in general feels far too slow and grind-like, have tried questing and just farming, perhaps DAoC: Catacombs just spoilt me but level 15 - 20 in WoW is already feeling like lvl35 - 40 in DAoC

That isn't true.. I am lvl 41 in WoW atm and levling is much faster than DAoC, I would say that lvl 35-40 in WoW felt like lvl 24-29 in DAoC. (Without Catacombs and not PL ofc).

Ethiraseth

Fledgling Freddie
+ amazing world

- no community, everyone seems to be soloing.
- grouping seems to be almost non existant

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
Ethiraseth said:
- no community, everyone seems to be soloing.
- grouping seems to be almost non existant

I agree with this.. at least to level 30-35 .. after that I'm grouping _alot_ on quests and instances.. but I'm a priest so people are pm:ing me alot :)

Falcon

Fledgling Freddie
Urme the Legend said:
That isn't true.. I am lvl 41 in WoW atm and levling is much faster than DAoC, I would say that lvl 35-40 in WoW felt like lvl 24-29 in DAoC. (Without Catacombs and not PL ofc).
Well exactly, the key being without Catacombs or PL :p

IMO Catacombs is defo much more fun levelling up than WoW is that's for sure. I think euro DAoC being behind on patches/expansions is one of it's biggest downfalls, it means it's more easily victim to something like WoW coming out before Catacombs.

Catacombs was released around the same time as WoW in the US and Catacombs makes PvE much more enjoyable in DAoC whereas Blizzard beat euro Catacombs to release meaning euro DAoC players can only compare to old style, extremely dull DAoC PvE.

Oh and now that I've reminded myself, WoW needs DAoC style BGs or some such so you can just have fun levelling up in PvP too, even though Catacombs is good it still doesn't beat good fun PvP/BG levelling ;)

I'd imagine WoW will catch up and surpass DAoC given time though of course, just right now the only reason to play it is for the levelling grind or if you like crafting lots.

Nedo

Fledgling Freddie
Agree on youre minuses (and find them very straight to the point what I think) Xest but WoW still > Daoc atm

Vantros of the Delerium

Fledgling Freddie
WoW is still a very young game, and your compareing it to a game which has been about more than 4 years now. Catacombs u may find great fun but then again your just paying mythic more money for the exact same game with a new gloss over it and 2 new chars "oooooo" more characters to lvl and play in RvR.
When WoW BGs hits i think it will blow daoc outta the water already PvPing in WoW is much better as it requires skill not just button bashing, or /face nuke stun nuke nuke nuke, or /stick anytimer rear style anytimer etc.
Then again most of the people returning to daoc for PvP do so cos its easier for them, its the difference between an adaptive player and one set in his ways.
As for groups in WoW they are easy cos alot of people want to form groups all u have to do is make a group up and it works fine you could infact lvl from 20 upwards just farming instances in groups.
The only thing i find tedious in WoW is lvl 1-20, those are by far the slowest lvls, because of no instances.. as soon as u hit lvl 20 its easy to get it sorted.

Gat_Decor

Fledgling Freddie
Vantros of the Delerium said:
As for groups in WoW they are easy cos alot of people want to form groups all u have to do is make a group up and it works fine you could infact lvl from 20 upwards just farming instances in groups.
The only thing i find tedious in WoW is lvl 1-20, those are by far the slowest lvls, because of no instances.. as soon as u hit lvl 20 its easy to get it sorted.

You'll soon tire of doing the same instance over and over though, i think i've completed most instances up to Scarlet Monastery 3 times (Deadmines, BFD, Stockades etc..) ok so the drops can be good but you aint gonna get much XP from Deadmines at lvl 37 are you ?

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Falcon said:
- Repetitive, levelling through questing is fun for the first 5 - 10 levels then gets horribly dull, too much running at a too slow movement rate

Really? So you find it dull after an hour or two (which is roughly how long level 10 takes). If you bother to read the content for the quests, which sets them firmly within the context of the game world, it makes them a hell of a lot more interesting. I'm nearly lvl 40 on my main and still happily questing away and still finding the quests engaging, interesting and challenging.

Falcon said:

Compared to old DAoC, certainly not. It took me months, yes months, to reach level 40 in DAoC with my first character, a lot of which was the learning curve. I'd managed a lot faster in DAoC now levelling up a toon through regular play, but I'd still not manage level 40 inside of 3 weeks and it still wouldn't be as much fun as it is in WoW.

WoW vs Catacombs. Well, considering that catacombs is pretty much Mythic's response to WoW giving people a much faster and more friendly levelling system, it don't give it any points for trying to implement someone elses good idea. Of course if may be that Catacombs does it better, I've not played it yet, though I suspect the approach will be to just try and do it faster rather than make it more fun, which is what WoW does.

Falcon said:
- I still feel DAoC is the much better game right now, certainly since Catacombs, the problem is most my friends are playing WoW so I don't have many people to chat to in DAoC anymore leaving me with a choice of being bored in WoW or bored in DAoC :p

While DAoC does have many great moments, I don't think its as accessible to the new player as WoW is and in its current Euro incarnation, PvE content doesn't compare to that of WoW. Catacombs may resolve this issue for me, but the problem remains that the RvR end game of DAoC is deeply inpenetrable to new players. Long term players (not necessarily skilled players) or those who can invest the most play time, dominate RvR due to having acquired lots of realm abilities. At the moment, WoW does not have that problem.

Bloodclot

Banned
Sinnica said:
no :touch:

there was realm points in the beta. had 110ish rp's with my sword/axe/shieldspecced warrior lvl20 in beta in emain farming :p.

don't know if there was rp's at day1 retail. cause i played retail-daoc after few months of release.

Vantros of the Delerium

Fledgling Freddie
Gat_Decor said:
You'll soon tire of doing the same instance over and over though, i think i've completed most instances up to Scarlet Monastery 3 times (Deadmines, BFD, Stockades etc..) ok so the drops can be good but you aint gonna get much XP from Deadmines at lvl 37 are you ?

your right ofc.. cos doing artifact hunts and camping bridges in daoc is soo much fun. After i outlvl an instance i move on to the next, and ofc the next challenge. I have done SM far more than 3 times and i enjoy it everytime, as long as i gain xp and cash i enjoy, however in daoc the only thing i enjoyed was RvR and nf killed it for me. Catacombs is just more PvE in daoc and if u dont like the PvE then why pay out cash for a game that is the exact same as it was 4 years ago except with a new gloss.

I am not a pure WoW fanatic and i do see problems with it but i also see alot more potential, daoc reached its pinnicle and has now sunk to new lows, nf was the straw that broke the camels back for that game imho, and toa had already put strain on that back.

Filip

Fledgling Freddie
imho daoc is dead .. they never managed to renew the game or realise what their customers wanted.

but on the other hand i find WoW just as boring. I didnt play beta and therefor desided to make a priest (burning legion horde)
in the hopes that i would make it easiere to get groups..

but i was mistaken. Grouping is rare becuase of the questing system .. you need the same quests .. which means now you got 3 criterias to fit to make a group ..

same lvl's, correct class's and finally same quests... which means less groups
and when it is possible to make better exp solo just questing form the min you log on untill you log off then grouping suffers even more..

im lvl 23 UD priest at 2d 12 hours played ... and ppl dont PM me for groups at all .. i often has to group with lower ppl or random ppl who are new to mmorpg's

i would be lvl 40+ with no PL in daoc .

and when you consider that there is 60 lvl's then the time sink is even bigger..

but if you like to solo quest and read the stories then wow is a nice game i guess...

i just play computer game for the social stuff and the PvP ... if i want to read a storie i read a real book ... by an author i like not some computer geek designer..

so from my point of WoW is lacking a lot...

but the interface and all the fancy pancy is very good no doubth ...

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Filip said:
imho daoc is dead .. they never managed to renew the game or realise what their customers wanted.

but on the other hand i find WoW just as boring. I didnt play beta and therefor desided to make a priest (burning legion horde)
in the hopes that i would make it easiere to get groups..

but i was mistaken. Grouping is rare becuase of the questing system .. you need the same quests .. which means now you got 3 criterias to fit to make a group ..

same lvl's, correct class's and finally same quests... which means less groups
and when it is possible to make better exp solo just questing form the min you log on untill you log off then grouping suffers even more..

im lvl 23 UD priest at 2d 12 hours played ... and ppl dont PM me for groups at all .. i often has to group with lower ppl or random ppl who are new to mmorpg's

i would be lvl 40+ with no PL in daoc .

and when you consider that there is 60 lvl's then the time sink is even bigger..

but if you like to solo quest and read the stories then wow is a nice game i guess...

i just play computer game for the social stuff and the PvP ... if i want to read a storie i read a real book ... by an author i like not some computer geek designer..

so from my point of WoW is lacking a lot...

but the interface and all the fancy pancy is very good no doubth ...

Well, grouping gets more common at higher levels, since more and more quests are hard to solo, and the mobs get harder in comparison to your character (since keeping your gear tiptop gets harder). Also, you could try to do instances several times if you want to groupexp - the exp in them is very good, and you could exp mostly by rerunning instances for several levels, then move to next instance. People are usually "LFM" and "LFpriest" for different instances on Al'Akir anyway :)

But yes, grouping suffers some in WoW - then again i spent most of my daoc pve time soloing as well.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
+ Great graphics engine, no stuttering sluggish shite like ToA zones.
+Nice ideas like auction house, mail system and good loot system.
+Classes do not seen much more stronger than each other overall.
+The world itself is very big and instances are fun in a good group.

-Some bugs still around, like mages arcane missiles pathing or monsters getting stuck which you can't hit after.
-Takes a lot of time sometimes, but not as much as daoc did.

I think the pathing system is VERY good other than the monster bug, i mean the warlock pets for example do not go through the floor, they really do follow the character very well.It's a good game so far, not one of the best i have played but it is fun to play most of the time especially in instances with a good group who pull lots of monsters a time then blast them all out. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom