Server Clustering for Excalibur and Prydwen.

Lothandar

Fledgling Freddie
Levin said:
I'm sure there are a few who have alts on opposing realms on the same server. With the clustering, however, pretty much everyone would (have opposing realm alts which could meet in the frontiers) - thus the problem would be bigger. But sure, it might be a problem today as well, i don't know. I'm asking what's being done about it, because i think it will be a lot more common with clustering.

I am just saying that people won't do it. The faction of players who want to rp farm, is very very very (+very) little.

It is a form of cheating kind of. A small amount of players resort on doing it, but the majority of players don't.

Lothandar

Fledgling Freddie
BobSpoons said:
Thats all very well but sadly for me I do not have any skill in languages and would have no chance on a foreign server no matter how hard i tried.

I know it is not easy on different language servers but:

1. You can change the clients language (eliminating all the problems coming from languages you don't understand[regarding the client])
2. Some people speak english on those servers as well.

For example on avalon I've met a ton of people who can speak english. So it is not a deadtrack

Sandariel

Fledgling Freddie
Lothandar said:
I know it is not easy on different language servers but:

1. You can change the clients language (eliminating all the problems coming from languages you don't understand[regarding the client])
2. Some people speak english on those servers as well.

For example on avalon I've met a ton of people who can speak english. So it is not a deadtrack

If you use an english client on a german server (or the other way round, actually all client language != server language setups) you won't be able to use the climb walls ability and you can't reply to pms by hitting the "r" button.

Guess there might be more problems, but those are two common problems I know about. So using the proper client is better... Especially not being able to /reply is very annoying :)

Jupiter

Fledgling Freddie
MaditioN said:
1. sure it's a downside for new players they cant play 2 realms
2. allready playing players can just create a /lvl20 player on another realm or something to ensure you can level chars there in the future
3. if you dont play 2 different realms on each server, and whine about not beeing able to create a character on another realm after clustering, well most have played daoc 2-3 years, think people should have created all chars they want before the cluster by now tbh
4. i know LOADS of ppl who would just login into wow site and cancel subs INSTA when clustering goes live, alot of old guilds and very many old players will start to play again, most of them have stopped playing daoc/prydwen because of the low pop rate
5. not hard for a sane mind to understand that this is whats needed doing for the english servers to survive, also some of the german and french servers.

and for not beeing able to join the excal guilds if your char are on prydwen: you can move your char to another cluster, pryd->exc then join their guilds etc, same exc->pryd if you want, atleast you can on US, expect same inc for us, you do this with some npc's ingame nothing advanced.

g i v e c l u s t e r i n g a l l r e a d y !

Valgair 10L6 Healer Prydwen
Argt 7L0 Druid Excalibur

what he said, hmm agreeing with valgair, jaysus what next, ofc hibbies will kill the clustered server and wtf own all 6 relics

bigchief

Fledgling Freddie
i just hope an infux of idiots didnt vote for clustering toa too

can you imagine getting gov with pryd + excal all being in one toa :E

Phuzzy

Fledgling Freddie
There are no guarantees that there would be more players available for RvR or ToA if Excalibur & Prydwen were clustered. People would have more zones available to spread themselves out in. There are also no guarantees that RvR would be any better even if more people took part in it at the beginning. The only thing you can guarantee is that new players would only be able to play in one realm, & that people who like to play in more than one realm would be rather inconvenienced.

Kittyfantastico

Fledgling Freddie
Hey There, :)
Thanks to everyone who replied to BobSpoons my other half...yes some actual girls do play DAOC :).
After reading the threads here we have cancelled our DAOC subscriptions, and have bought American copies of the games to move to USA servers. It seems that clustering in the UK servers is pretty widely backed, so good luck to everyone and I hope you all have fun and that not too many people are dissapointed with the outcome of the poll...whatever it may be :).

However me and my hubby have only been playing 4 months, we came on to play with RL friends, and have actively canvassed for our other online friends to join.
We have only ever had chance to play on Midgard and have seen very little of it, so as new players we resent the decision to limit our choices of servers and realms for a game that we have not even had 6 months.
After we read the discussions and poll for clustering, we brought it to our friends who are thinking of buying DAOC attention. They were as resentful as us, so they are now looking into U.S.A servers.

GOA should possibly think about this, yes RVR is important, and obviously more people on at the same time is highly supported. And clustering works providing you don't want any new players, RVR matters very little to us, yet the implications of our choices being limited before we have even experienced a small portion of what the game has to offer does. And yes I am aware a lot of people thing DAOC doesn't get any new players, but it obviously attracted me and my hubby, and we brought along another member of our family along for the ride.

So good luck to everyone, and any peeps who contemplate or are moving to the U.S.A servers...
Look us up :)

Kitty

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
they should really consider cluster the servers with the foreign servers or cluster prydwen with the new italian and spanish servers.

i think clustering will royaly shaft the english players.

yes it will make rvr good for us old players but the point is a 1 realm choice is going to hurt the game badly. I like playing on different realms i like the option of change and tbh even a 1 hour limit is too long for me.

Goa dont cluster if anything sell prydwen and excalibur back to mythic in america and call it a English Europa server where mythic run the servers and we get the up to date patch and goa just handles with the other non english servers.

I dont know how it can be fixed.

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Awarkle said:
sell prydwen and excalibur back to mythic in america and call it a English Europa server where mythic run the servers and we get the up to date patch and goa just handles with the other non english servers.

One of the best ideas really. Or something similar anyway

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Kittyfantastico said:
Hey There, :)
Thanks to everyone who replied to BobSpoons my other half...yes some actual girls do play DAOC :).
After reading the threads here we have cancelled our DAOC subscriptions, and have bought American copies of the games to move to USA servers. It seems that clustering in the UK servers is pretty widely backed, so good luck to everyone and I hope you all have fun and that not too many people are dissapointed with the outcome of the poll...whatever it may be :).

However me and my hubby have only been playing 4 months, we came on to play with RL friends, and have actively canvassed for our other online friends to join.
We have only ever had chance to play on Midgard and have seen very little of it, so as new players we resent the decision to limit our choices of servers and realms for a game that we have not even had 6 months.
After we read the discussions and poll for clustering, we brought it to our friends who are thinking of buying DAOC attention. They were as resentful as us, so they are now looking into U.S.A servers.

GOA should possibly think about this, yes RVR is important, and obviously more people on at the same time is highly supported. And clustering works providing you don't want any new players, RVR matters very little to us, yet the implications of our choices being limited before we have even experienced a small portion of what the game has to offer does. And yes I am aware a lot of people thing DAOC doesn't get any new players, but it obviously attracted me and my hubby, and we brought along another member of our family along for the ride.

So good luck to everyone, and any peeps who contemplate or are moving to the U.S.A servers...
Look us up :)

Kitty

A few points to make, not only aimed at you but also to the other posters in this thread.
1: No decision has yet been made. When a decision is made it will take into account the results of the poll as one of several factors - server populations, technical constraints, community issues etc. It will not be made purely on the results of the poll.

2: If clustering does go ahead it will not happen for several weeks as we will need to be running version 1.74 first which is still a few weeks away. At that point we will either cluster or we won't. If we don't cluster at that point, the option remains open for the future should the situation warrant it.

3: Posters on FH are a very small percentage of the server populations. You cannot get anything like a representative sample of opinion from threads on this forum.

4: Clustering servers of different languages is not possible. if it were possible to have all language files client side and have servers language independant we'd have done it years ago as it would make our lives so much easier. As it stands, running a client in a different language to the server causes multiple problems, therefore there cannot be shared language servers or zones.

5: Mythic are not going to take over the English servers. If they did want to they'd have been running English language servers in Europe from the start. Goa runs all the European servers specifically because Mythic did not want to get involved in operations outside the US regardless of language.

Just as a final point to those who don't believe that new players are joining the game, do a /who 6 19 sometime or stand outside near the newbie starting areas and watch the characters who don't have access to /levelled characters (who can be assumed to be relatively new with the exception of Catacombs classes). There are more new players than most people think, but they are mostly invisible to veteran players who have no reason to notice them.

Phuzzy

Fledgling Freddie
"Just as a final point to those who don't believe that new players are joining the game, do a /who 6 19 sometime or stand outside near the newbie starting areas and watch the characters who don't have access to /levelled characters (who can be assumed to be relatively new with the exception of Catacombs classes). There are more new players than most people think, but they are mostly invisible to veteran players who have no reason to notice them."

Word!

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
Requiel said:
Just as a final point to those who don't believe that new players are joining the game, do a /who 6 19 sometime or stand outside near the newbie starting areas and watch the characters who don't have access to /levelled characters (who can be assumed to be relatively new with the exception of Catacombs classes). There are more new players than most people think, but they are mostly invisible to veteran players who have no reason to notice them.

Still about 95% of the people between 6-19 are people rolling Warlock/Valk Banshee/Vamp Heretic and I hardly see people below 20 roll classes that already were there before Catacombs.
I even go as far to say if they will make the new classes /level'able you will see an extreme drop in players below level 20 as most of them (atleast the ones I've met) are players who are just trying out the new classes and already have multiple level 50s.
But then again I hope your right about the new people joining as that could only be good for both Prydwen and Excal.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Andrilyn said:
Still about 95% of the people between 6-19 are people rolling Warlock/Valk Banshee/Vamp Heretic and I hardly see people below 20 roll classes that already were there before Catacombs.
About half the characters between 6 and 19 have been Catacombs classes everytime I've looked and some of those will also be new players who fancied the looks of the new classes. So at least half are not players with existing 50s.

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
Requiel said:
About half the characters between 6 and 19 have been Catacombs classes everytime I've looked and some of those will also be new players who fancied the looks of the new classes. So at least half are not players with existing 50s.

Sorry to argue against you, but if you wanted a healer VERY badly and with the current state of the game (hard to get groups) would you go /level 20 and take it the hard way or do normal levels and group with Warlocks and Valkyries, Banshees and Vampiirs and Heretics which there is alot of and make friends from low levels to help leveling later? :)

Xxcalibur

One of Freddy's beloved
requiel, i rly hope u guys do the clustering , loads of old players will come back for sure , the best guilds in past already tell it , and that means more clients for u :-D givv rvr zone clustering ^^

Karatakus

Fledgling Freddie
I voted no to server clustering. As to why, well:
1. When I log on to alb/excal (my main server) and there's nothing going on I change to hib/pryd and see whats happening there. If I have to wait an hour before changing realms I'm not gonna bother, and end up doing something else not DAOC related.
2. I would hate to run into a guild group of one of the guilds I belong to. I got a few ppl who I respect and I regard as m8s in both the guilds I'm in (both on alb/excal and hib/pryd), and I wouldn't like to be put into the position of having to kill them in RvR. Yea, I know, a carebear attitude, but tbh I really can't see what wftpwning ur guild m8s on the other server is going to do for the friendship etc that ur supposed to get in guilds.
3. It would be a nightmare for GoA to police for crossrealming. The amount of ppl who would farm their 2nd accounts thats been logged on to the other server or arrange to meet with a m8 from the other server and farm him/her silly instead. The accusations of crossrealm farming (especially against soloers and duos) would be amazing.
4. Its hard enuff for me to find artis up atm without having another servers population camping them.

I don't think the population on the GoA servers has become low enough to warrent server clustering tbh. The only thing I can see server clustering doing is causing GoA headaches and taking away players choices on where they want to play. Yea ok it could make some MLs easier to do, but when weighing this against all the negative effects that server clustering would bring, its just not worth it imo.

My 2p worth anyway :D

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Karatakus said:
I voted no to server clustering. As to why, well:
1. When I log on to alb/excal (my main server) and there's nothing going on I change to hib/pryd and see whats happening there. If I have to wait an hour before changing realms I'm not gonna bother, and end up doing something else not DAOC related.
2. I would hate to run into a guild group of one of the guilds I belong to. I got a few ppl who I respect and I regard as m8s in both the guilds I'm in (both on alb/excal and hib/pryd), and I wouldn't like to be put into the position of having to kill them in RvR. Yea, I know, a carebear attitude, but tbh I really can't see what wftpwning ur guild m8s on the other server is going to do for the friendship etc that ur supposed to get in guilds.
3. It would be a nightmare for GoA to police for crossrealming. The amount of ppl who would farm their 2nd accounts thats been logged on to the other server or arrange to meet with a m8 from the other server and farm him/her silly instead. The accusations of crossrealm farming (especially against soloers and duos) would be amazing.
4. Its hard enuff for me to find artis up atm without having another servers population camping them.
1. Ok, thats fair..

2. I don't see any point in what you say at all. I got lots of close friends in enemy guilds. Why the fuck would it do something bad with my friendship towards them when I kill them? It's a game and we're having fun together competing ^^

3. That gives suck ass rp and are not rly worth doing even for a casual player.

4. That's why we vote RvR only :p

Im not saying that you can't think like this, I'm only saying you are wrong! ;) :p :m00:

Blazor Meneth

Fledgling Freddie
Karatakus said:

Well thats why if u cluster rvr only then excal and pryd will have the same RVR zone. And if you can't find any artifacts up on excalibur then you can port to the prydwen toa zone to check if the artifacts are up there = You'll get the double amount of artifacts to hunt(Hence DO NOT cluster toa zones)

Get it ? :fluffle:

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
Blazor Meneth said:
Well thats why if u cluster rvr only then excal and pryd will have the same RVR zone. And if you can't find any artifacts up on excalibur then you can port to the prydwen toa zone to check if the artifacts are up there = You'll get the double amount of artifacts to hunt(Hence DO NOT cluster toa zones)

two toa zones for double amount of players,,, why the hck would that change anything, ok sounds good in theory that you can have 2 shade of mist spots but still .P I would rather say ML raids, especially for midgard without petspam class would have alot easier time to do high lvl MLs, like 8 or 10.

Tiques

Fledgling Freddie
Dorin said:
two toa zones for double amount of players,,, why the hck would that change anything, ok sounds good in theory that you can have 2 shade of mist spots but still .P I would rather say ML raids, especially for midgard without petspam class would have alot easier time to do high lvl MLs, like 8 or 10.

Because it would reduce time from any encounter (any server) repops until someone does it in general, hence increasing the times the encounter is up over a long time, hence more people get their artifacts quicker? :)

And if I understand it right, I can on clustered servers, go to ToA-Exc as a Pryd player, and perform any ML and get the credit I need? :)

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Blazor Meneth said:

I thought if they cluster the RvR zones, prydwen ppl couldn't go to excal ToA zones and vice versa?

Kittyfantastico

Fledgling Freddie
A few points to make, not only aimed at you but also to the other posters in this thread.
1: No decision has yet been made. When a decision is made it will take into account the results of the poll as one of several factors - server populations, technical constraints, community issues etc. It will not be made purely on the results of the poll.

2: If clustering does go ahead it will not happen for several weeks as we will need to be running version 1.74 first which is still a few weeks away. At that point we will either cluster or we won't. If we don't cluster at that point, the option remains open for the future should the situation warrant it.

3: Posters on FH are a very small percentage of the server populations. You cannot get anything like a representative sample of opinion from threads on this forum.

Thanks for the reply, and as these are the only points that concern me I'll answer only to these <smile>.
I had figured that the results of the poll wouldn't be the last decision on wether clustering takes place or not. At the finish a course of action will be taken that GOA deems benifits them the most, and hopefully is the one that the majority of players have supported. Much like a compromise of sorts. I am not so selfish enough to believe that my thoughts or opinions have the right to determine anyone elses right to enjoy the game. After all we pay to play, we should happy and willing to pay the amount to play.
If you aren't you go look for alternatives, and there are plenty out there, not counting the U.S.A servers but plenty more MMORPG's in the sea so to speak.

Yes I also know that should GOA cluster it wouldn't be for several weeks, several weeks where time I have invested in my character would be wasted as I would most certainly be going if the clustering took place. I don't see it as premature behaviour....I see it as getting out early to avoid the rush. My time away from work is precious, and where I invest such time is imporatnt. I am sure I'm not the only one, and to me wasting this time on a game that may or may not do something I don't agree with is a waste of that time. I also find the news that should clustering not take place this time, it will be there hangimg over my head like a sword or dark cloud, further destroying my enjoyment of the game. No Thanks :).

I wish GOA the best of luck, the past four months has been an absolute pleasure, and you have certainly paved the way for myself and my husband enjoying more MMROPG games. I hope this pans out in a way that pleases the most people and that their enjoyment of the game is vastly improved. They deserve it.

Lol you don't have to tell me, I was one, and believe it or not met many many new players in my travels that I helped out with old equipment :). I wish them well too

Kitty

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Berthold said:
RP farming of alts, will become common place. (ban them you say, i expect most people will farm alts for easy rps...and therefore they would ban hundreds of people, defeating the point.)

erm whats to stop them doing this already? You cant log into the same account your playing at that moment, and if they have two accounts, there is no reason why they cant do this at this moment in time (not condoning it)

Karatakus

Fledgling Freddie
Zebolt said:
2. I don't see any point in what you say at all. I got lots of close friends in enemy guilds. Why the fuck would it do something bad with my friendship towards them when I kill them? It's a game and we're having fun together competing ^^

Think u misunderstand me on this point. There is quite a few enemy realm players who I respect, because they are not only very skilled players but they are fair (don't look shocked, yes they still exist :D hehe). I wouldn't say they are friends, as I've only fought against them and not spoken to them so don't actually know them. What I am on about is actually fighting against ppl who I have become m8s with thru the game, or RL m8s that play the game (I have a few, all of which play the same realms as myself ). Call it a conflict of interest if u will, I personally would just feel "wrong" fighting against m8s, instead of along side them.

3. That gives suck ass rp and are not rly worth doing even for a casual player.

That may be true (tho it would depend on the RR of the toon being farmed compared to the RR of the farmer iirc), but u would still find some sad noobs doing it.

4. That's why we vote RvR only :p

Unfortunately, if the servers are clustered then all zones will be accessable by the other server. The only difference would be there would only be 1 NF zone, so the zergs there would be enormous. Personally I prefer fg RvR, but thats starting to get difficult of late (maybe I've just been unlucky when running into 2 to 3 fgs+ of mids/hibs) but if u add another servers population into the mix, zergs are just going to get silly. Unfortunately thats what Mythic wants by the looks. I remember back in Feb reading a press release from Mythic on MMORPG.com stating that they they were proud of a battle that had over 1500 players participating in it on a clustered US server. Now I don't know about ur PC but mine would run up its little white flag, and I'd be playing alts all night if I was involved in a battle of that size.

Im not saying that you can't think like this, I'm only saying you are wrong!

Hehehe each to their own m8 :) I just think server clustering would drive ppl away from the game rather than bring them back to it.

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Karatakus said:
Think u misunderstand me on this point. There is quite a few enemy realm players who I respect, because they are not only very skilled players but they are fair (don't look shocked, yes they still exist :D hehe). I wouldn't say they are friends, as I've only fought against them and not spoken to them so don't actually know them. What I am on about is actually fighting against ppl who I have become m8s with thru the game, or RL m8s that play the game (I have a few, all of which play the same realms as myself ). Call it a conflict of interest if u will, I personally would just feel "wrong" fighting against m8s, instead of along side them.
No I didn't misunderstand, I just can't see how fighting your friends would effect your friendship. I love competing with my friends and I have some close friend from other realms who I know just as much as my guildies. But it you feel that way I'm not gonna try convince you otherwise but it sounded like you spoke in general with your first post which didn't apply imo :>

Karatakus said:
That may be true (tho it would depend on the RR of the toon being farmed compared to the RR of the farmer iirc), but u would still find some sad noobs doing it.
I actually doubt it, but I guess we will see if we get the cluster. And I don't see the harm in it either for that matter :>

Karatakus said:
Unfortunately, if the servers are clustered then all zones will be accessable by the other server. The only difference would be there would only be 1 NF zone, so the zergs there would be enormous. Personally I prefer fg RvR, but thats starting to get difficult of late (maybe I've just been unlucky when running into 2 to 3 fgs+ of mids/hibs) but if u add another servers population into the mix, zergs are just going to get silly. Unfortunately thats what Mythic wants by the looks. I remember back in Feb reading a press release from Mythic on MMORPG.com stating that they they were proud of a battle that had over 1500 players participating in it on a clustered US server. Now I don't know about ur PC but mine would run up its little white flag, and I'd be playing alts all night if I was involved in a battle of that size.
Is that true? That's fucked up ^^ Why don't they just keep if they way it is and just cluster the NF zones thats even easier for them to do xD

Karatakus said:
I just think server clustering would drive ppl away from the game rather than bring them back to it.
Several of the big names in daoc RvR history who have left are talking about comming back. That's just the RvR guilds tho which are a small part of the whole server but sounds good for me with the competition.. but you might be right, who knows :p

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
Zebolt said:
I thought if they cluster the RvR zones, prydwen ppl couldn't go to excal ToA zones and vice versa?

If they merge Prydwen and Excal your able to go to the other realm's places etc.
Like if you play Alb/excal you can go to Alb/Pry ToA.
Let's say they only merge RvR that means if you go through Ligen/Svasud/Sav gates you will go to an area both Pryden and Excal RvR so there will be only 1 NF, if they merge ToA there will only be 1 ToA (Which I hope nobody has voted for).
But you can basically go check some artifacts on Excal when they are down on Prydwen and vice versa but you can only of course go to ToA Alb/Prydwen and ToA Alb/Excal if you play Alb.
Atleast that's what I understand from the clustering, so it's possible to have excal people in Prydwen ToA and the other way around if they merge.

Sinnica

Fledgling Freddie
MaditioN said:
4. i know LOADS of ppl who would just login into wow site and cancel subs INSTA when clustering goes live, alot of old guilds and very many old players will start to play again, most of them have stopped playing daoc/prydwen because of the low pop rate

amen, time to break mez with ze thane again :drink:

Elkie

Can't get enough of FH
I dont have much rong with the RvR clustering accept these following reasons:

1. The lag is already bad enough in NF as we speak server clustering will bring more lag....

2.I play hib if the hibs from Hib pryd come over how am i supposed to no there playing styles there attitudes to the game and the kind of group set ups they want.

Im sure alot of people are going to agree with me on this one the lag is my main concern at this moment in time if we can get lag problems sorted fair enough then bring on clustering but its still the problem beetween the comunity and the attitude of the game from both Pryd and Excal.

these are some of the issues that some people haven't thought about properly :kissit:

Gamah

Banned
its all good saying merge..but look at prydwens rr of late..super zergs 5fg mids on stick..counter zerg of albs..hibs counter zerging the other zergs...not a game I want to be playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom