Server Clustering for Excalibur and Prydwen.

Lothandar

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
We're limited in what we can change. The clustering code can be tweaked in certain ways by us but not in others. We can change the timer for swapping realms for example (our plan is for any servers that are clustered to have a 1 hour timer rather than the 8 hours that Mythic has in place), however the restriction on creating characters on different realms of the same cluster is not something we can change.

I find the 1h timer a very good idea, keep it in place. 8 hours is just tfm (too fucking much :p).

Not like I or any decent pvper will swap around chars to spy, it's stupid and pointless anyway.

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Requiel said:
Also the character creation issue. If you have a new account you will be limited to the same realm on each server. So if your first character is in Alb/Pryd then you will only be able to roll Albs on Excal. If you wanted to change realms, you'd need to delete all your characters on both servers. If you already have characters on different realms on each server, you can create new characters in either of those realms however if you deleted all the characters on one server you'd only be able to create new ones on the same realm as on the other server.

And while there are only two normal English language servers to play on this is the reason I have voted no.
It's bad enough that we haven't the choice of playing each realm as it is without being forced onto Camlann or another language server without restricting new players to one realm full stop.

Please, for god's sake, get some publicity for the game in the UK and you might not have ended up with this problem in the first place.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
is there no way to trial this ?
either copying database stuff over to gorre, or by temping it on the real servers.
u say its *irreversable*, but surely u can back up the servers on a monday, combine them, run them like that for a week, and then ask what people, with the option to roll back to previous if its not met with universal agreement ?

and as was said before, the relog timer is an bunch of arse. ok, to stop people spying etc, but if you log into realm A, find nothing happening, are you goin to sit around for an hour to see if theres anything going on on realm B, or just give up and do something else... /cancel
/shrug

undecided atm, could potentially be really good, or it could totally kill it :mad:

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Lothandar said:
You should get your facts right before filling the poll. If I were you I would NOT fill it before logging on and playing on prydwen for a while.

Ghost Town Ligen is not a favourite spot of mine.

If prydwen is not really really really dead now, then I don't want to know what do you consider "really really really dead".

I said "I would". I didn't vote. The population for Prydwen was about 600 avg / 1100 max before WoW hit europe. Then it went to about 400 avg / 900 max, right now it seems to be climbing up again, slowly. We may not even need clustering.

Also, another thing is that if you'd cluster Excal with Prydwen, you'd hit the 2k player barrier. In y'olden days (When there were about that many people playing on Excal alone), people on Prydwen were either new players or ex-Excal players. The ex-excal players ALWAYS complained that Excal was too zergy, and that's why they moved over.

Either way, it's a permanent decision and can't be undone. I hope that people give it a good thought before voting, instead of just the usual "omg more arrpees!!1".

Lothandar

Fledgling Freddie
Daedalus said:
I said "I would". I didn't vote. The population for Prydwen was about 600 avg / 1100 max before WoW hit europe. Then it went to about 400 avg / 900 max, right now it seems to be climbing up again, slowly. We may not even need clustering.

Also, another thing is that if you'd cluster Excal with Prydwen, you'd hit the 2k player barrier. In y'olden days (When there were about that many people playing on Excal alone), people on Prydwen were either new players or ex-Excal players. The ex-excal players ALWAYS complained that Excal was too zergy, and that's why they moved over.

Either way, it's a permanent decision and can't be undone. I hope that people give it a good thought before voting, instead of just the usual "omg more arrpees!!1".

I did not say you voted. Note how I say "before".

You don't know what "underpopulated" means though seemingly. "was about 600 avg / 1100 max before WoW hit europe. Then it went to about 400 avg / 900 max, right now it seems to be climbing up again, slowly. We may not even need clustering."

Right, do you know why did I leave prydwen in the first place? Lack of action. I roamed around with my group to find nothing at many occurances, of course action would still happen sometimes but I was plain pissed off by looking for enemies for ages, went to excal and it was great, with the odd Albionian zergs(it happens :). Better than a ghost town.

The last thing happening in this world will be prydwen filling up with so many players that "We may not even need clustering."

It's clear the servers need clustering. I don't care how "it may kill bla bla". NF did that already, maybe with 2,5k+ avalon it is okay, but not with 600-1200 player servers. It can't get any worse than this.

To me it seems you didn't play NF at all or for a very short period of time and are basing your opinions on that. Do not come with y'olden days, those were disintegrated with the integration of NF, it is basically a totally different case OF >< NF.

Mabs said:
and as was said before, the relog timer is an bunch of arse. ok, to stop people spying etc, but if you log into realm A, find nothing happening, are you goin to sit around for an hour to see if theres anything going on on realm B, or just give up and do something else... /cancel
/shrug

Yanks wait 8 hours, you should be glad for this change instead, 1 hour is nothing compared to their timer ;p

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Daedalus said:

The restrictions behind clustering (unable to join another servers guild, cannot mix server guilds/alliances), means that clustered servers can be ripped apart and reclustered with any other. Palomides, Iseult, Bors, and Gawaine were on the same cluster on 1.74 patch day, a few days later Iseult was removed and added to another cluster.

I'd like to see it implemented, but maybe have the cross-realm timer reduced to 1 hour or even removed if possible.

poisono

Fledgling Freddie
I really do think this is a good yet bad idea all in the same, does it mean that zones are going to have double the proccesing power to play with, very diffcult to do I know, but if this brings back old players and even new players (god that'd be the day), would we be able to raise server cap?

The problem is not of when it happens, Its the aftermath of what a lot of us see as a good move. Im finding it hard to play on Mid/Pryd not enough people around to do ML's mainly, likes of arti's ive got no chance i cant draw enough people at the times I play and latelly its being around this time in the morning, then in the day time when a lot of players are either at work or having some good old education. The likes of Eggys ML Raids (Alb/Excal) would be nice im sure thier are more ML raids in Mid/Excal and it means ive got more chance of being able to make it to ML10 (something ive never done on any char yet)

Im very much up for this but im intrested in the technical side of how area's will cope when HUGE amounts of players come for raids....

(a final point the Italian server even has more players than Prydwen.....)

Minau

Loyal Freddie
girls seriously....... how obvious is it ? the sooner they cluster the servers the
better.. loads of peeps > no peeps.... and i ofc only meen the RvR zones.
the PvE zones should be left alone, enough of artifact battles as it is.

MaditioN

Can't get enough of FH
1. sure it's a downside for new players they cant play 2 realms
2. allready playing players can just create a /lvl20 player on another realm or something to ensure you can level chars there in the future
3. if you dont play 2 different realms on each server, and whine about not beeing able to create a character on another realm after clustering, well most have played daoc 2-3 years, think people should have created all chars they want before the cluster by now tbh
4. i know LOADS of ppl who would just login into wow site and cancel subs INSTA when clustering goes live, alot of old guilds and very many old players will start to play again, most of them have stopped playing daoc/prydwen because of the low pop rate
5. not hard for a sane mind to understand that this is whats needed doing for the english servers to survive, also some of the german and french servers.

and for not beeing able to join the excal guilds if your char are on prydwen: you can move your char to another cluster, pryd->exc then join their guilds etc, same exc->pryd if you want, atleast you can on US, expect same inc for us, you do this with some npc's ingame nothing advanced.

g i v e c l u s t e r i n g a l l r e a d y !

Valgair 10L6 Healer Prydwen
Argt 7L0 Druid Excalibur

Lothandar

Fledgling Freddie
poisono said:
Im very much up for this but im intrested in the technical side of how area's will cope when HUGE amounts of players come for raids....

(a final point the Italian server even has more players than Prydwen.....)

If it all goes as most planned only the rvr zones will be shared, the other zones will have 2 copies of them (2 toas, 2 sis, 2 catacombs) and people can choose which toa/whatever they want to zone to through npcs.

Excalibur (after lots of tweaking since it always crashed from alb ml4 raids in the early toa times :D) could take the large amount of players doing mls, so I don't see how a cluster couldn't stand up to the task.

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Lothandar said:
I did not say you voted. Note how I say "before".

You don't know what "underpopulated" means though seemingly. "was about 600 avg / 1100 max before WoW hit europe. Then it went to about 400 avg / 900 max, right now it seems to be climbing up again, slowly. We may not even need clustering."

Right, do you know why did I leave prydwen in the first place? Lack of action. I roamed around with my group to find nothing at many occurances, of course action would still happen sometimes but I was plain pissed off by looking for enemies for ages, went to excal and it was great, with the odd Albionian zergs(it happens :). Better than a ghost town.

The last thing happening in this world will be prydwen filling up with so many players that "We may not even need clustering."

It's clear the servers need clustering. I don't care how "it may kill bla bla". NF did that already, maybe with 2,5k+ avalon it is okay, but not with 600-1200 player servers. It can't get any worse than this.

To me it seems you didn't play NF at all or for a very short period of time and are basing your opinions on that. Do not come with y'olden days, those were disintegrated with the integration of NF, it is basically a totally different case OF >< NF.

Yanks wait 8 hours, you should be glad for this change instead, 1 hour is nothing compared to their timer ;p

Actually, I just wrote a whole reply about how you're looking it from merely your PoV and all that crap but FreddysHouse just ate it. I'm not gonna bother to write it all out again. It's senseless to discuss these kind of things on a forum, the majority will decide anyway and will not be influenced by this thread.

Looking at it like this:
Clustering may either save DAoC-EU, or it may cause another huge drop in the overal population, but it can't get any worse than it is now.

Zil

Fledgling Freddie
so first we pay for 2/3 of the content.. and now they want us to pay for 1/3 of the content if you only have chars on 1 server or buy a new acc.. thats just :twak:

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
Javai said:
The biggest problem for me is that if we have clustering of Excal and Pryd then any new English speaking players would be limited to one realm only.

They should make new players roll mid or hib tbh. And have the Ablion option greyed out til things even up a lil.

Vote YES for RvR Zone Cluster.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Cadiva said:
And while there are only two normal English language servers to play on this is the reason I have voted no.
It's bad enough that we haven't the choice of playing each realm as it is without being forced onto Camlann or another language server without restricting new players to one realm full stop.

Please, for god's sake, get some publicity for the game in the UK and you might not have ended up with this problem in the first place.

If servers are clustered, current players will have the choice of playing on four different realms(i.e Alb/Pryd, Alb/Excal - Hib/Pryd, Hib/Excal). With two accounts you can play on all 6 realms!

There's talk of these 'NEW PLAYERS' and how they'll be restricted to playing on one realm. I want to know... who are these 'NEW PLAYERS', where are they coming from? how many are you expecting?

If I was a 'NEW PLAYER' I'd rather play on one active realm, instead of two dying ones. (Albion prydwen is officially the overpopulated zerg realm(100% whiners agree) come and start a new character there, and try to find groups as you level up! That will be the experience a 'NEW PLAYER' will have. Very rewarding for him to play a single-player game, I'm sure).

Like Spock once said "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
I'm mostly worried about the fact that people with two accounts could log in on opposing realms and farm realmpoints. What will be done to stop this? The one hour timer wouldn't help this at all.

Also, the one hour timer would suck big time for people like myself, who have characters on both servers and don't want to sit and watch Dr. Phil on TV for an hour just because nothing is happening in one server and you want to check the other.

Lothandar

Fledgling Freddie
Levin said:
I'm mostly worried about the fact that people with two accounts could log in on opposing realms and farm realmpoints. What will be done to stop this? The one hour timer wouldn't help this at all.

Bad point, this has been possible ever since someone owned 2 accounts with different realms on it on the same server. Clustering won't change anything regarding this topic.

Edit: If you're implying that people owning 2 accounts will go zerk and rp "farm" with 2 characters (I do not dare imagining the wast amount of rps they can make with this method) such as many people I know... well... :DD . You know the ones who got the possibility to have 2 realms / server don't use it for spying/whatever-idiotic-childish-activity.

BobSpoons

Fledgling Freddie
I and my wife just would like to play pve on all three realms together (We have an account each). I think this makes it more difficult.

Are the US servers clustered?
If so, can US players play different realms on the different servers?

I know I may get shouted at for this but as someone who just wants to pve in all realms, would I not be better closing my account and going to the US version? and if so, how on earth do you get hold of copies as most US shops dont seem to ship to UK.

Thanks folks

BobSpoons

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
Lothandar said:
Bad point, this has been possible ever since someone owned 2 accounts with different realms on it on the same server. Clustering won't change anything regarding this topic.

I'm sure there are a few who have alts on opposing realms on the same server. With the clustering, however, pretty much everyone would (have opposing realm alts which could meet in the frontiers) - thus the problem would be bigger. But sure, it might be a problem today as well, i don't know. I'm asking what's being done about it, because i think it will be a lot more common with clustering.

Kained_again

Fledgling Freddie
Well, we have been given plenty of notice, if you havnt already, get creating those alts on excal/pryd so you still have the option of playing either realm :)

I cant wait for clustering to come soon enough, Prydwen is very quite at the moment. I reckon all zones should be shared with the exception of ToA, to stop artie queus.

Dont forget peeps, you can always log onto a different language server for that third realm <shock> - think of how much you will brush up on those old spanish lessons you took in school.....

BobSpoons

Fledgling Freddie
Thats all very well but sadly for me I do not have any skill in languages and would have no chance on a foreign server no matter how hard i tried.

As for the notice, I think this idea should have been tabled before we spent £40 on two new catacombs expansions.

To us thats a lot of money to spend, only to find the game to be changing significantly within a precious few weeks.

I know everyone has their opinions as to whether this will be good or bad but to do such a large change so soon after people have spent on Catacombs I feel shocked about. I know some people think their experience will be unchanged or even better but if an individual thinks their game will suffer, then this is quite a blow so soon after the cash outlay.

I myself am wondering whether I should go to US servers and if I had known about this a few weeks back, then I would not have rushed into spending on Catacombs.

I wish well to the people it may enrich but personally I feel a dark cloud has fallen on my own personal enjoyment of the game and I just feel I may loose out on money to play the game to the full.

I know we can create characters now on the other sever to safeguard one of the other realms but we had hoped to be able to make that descision after we had played the current one, based upon how we felt at that time and which friends we have in which realm. Creating characters now in the other realm/server seems a short-change fix.

At this time, I just dont know what to do so I am sitting back to ponder.

BobSpoons

Ethild

Fledgling Freddie
Levin said:
I'm sure there are a few who have alts on opposing realms on the same server. With the clustering, however, pretty much everyone would (have opposing realm alts which could meet in the frontiers) - thus the problem would be bigger. But sure, it might be a problem today as well, i don't know. I'm asking what's being done about it, because i think it will be a lot more common with clustering.

If you kill your own alt, it takes ages for him to be worth a decent amount of RPs to you again. This is the mechanism thats in at the moment, regardless of clustering.

You also need 2 machines to connect to 2 realms on the same server. It wont let you log in to 2 different realms on the same machine if you are dual logging. Perhaps a simillar system would be in place for clustered servers.

Jacilja

Fledgling Freddie
BobSpoons said:
Thats all very well but sadly for me I do not have any skill in languages and would have no chance on a foreign server no matter how hard i tried.

As for the notice, I think this idea should have been tabled before we spent £40 on two new catacombs expansions.

To us thats a lot of money to spend, only to find the game to be changing significantly within a precious few weeks.

I know everyone has their opinions as to whether this will be good or bad but to do such a large change so soon after people have spent on Catacombs I feel shocked about. I know some people think their experience will be unchanged or even better but if an individual thinks their game will suffer, then this is quite a blow so soon after the cash outlay.

I myself am wondering whether I should go to US servers and if I had known about this a few weeks back, then I would not have rushed into spending on Catacombs.

I wish well to the people it may enrich but personally I feel a dark cloud has fallen on my own personal enjoyment of the game and I just feel I may loose out on money to play the game to the full.

I know we can create characters now on the other sever to safeguard one of the other realms but we had hoped to be able to make that descision after we had played the current one, based upon how we felt at that time and which friends we have in which realm. Creating characters now in the other realm/server seems a short-change fix.

At this time, I just dont know what to do so I am sitting back to ponder.

BobSpoons

As long as you already say play alb on 1 server but hib on other, on the same account, the cluster will make no difference to your pve... Infact quite the oposit, if pve areas arnt clustered you will have double the pve zones in both realms (like ability to port from pryd to excal with your pryd char and goto there corus mine)

it will only be a problem if you decided to delete your hibs, hopeing to make mids, as server would then say, "Hey you got albs or other part cluster, so sorry only albs for you"

As for the you would like to play all 3 realms on 1 account then its exactly like now, your shit outa luck, unless you go pvp server or a non english server.. Though in answer to US servers they got a Co-op server where you can just pve (no pvp rvr at all) and frolik and dance in any realms area, making any realms toons.... (basicaly its tree hugger heaven)

Phuzzy

Fledgling Freddie
For reasons best known to daoc.goa.com I can only vote about the German servers, although I never played on the german servers, only ever played on the US & UK servers, and the language on my PC is set to English :(

There doesn't seem to be any way for me to set it up so I can actually vote about the servers I actually play on :(

Xzynia

Fledgling Freddie
I think when clustering happends people should choose their realm and give up the chars from the other server... I know a lot of ppl might have 50's on both servers and might not like it, but still...

And what's up with that "zone" clustering?? For me clustering would mean the entire server not RvR only etc, what about alliances? and names? From Prydwen / Excalibur, gonna look hiddious imo, BlablaMightyMe Eagle Knight from Prydwen?

Well i think clustering should be clustering all, rvr, classic, SI, ToA etc... quit that "from excalibur" imo... We gotta remember that to help new players we need more ppl making new toons, if everything is clustered, this would help it a lot with more lvl 20+'s...

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Xzynia said:
Well i think clustering should be clustering all, rvr, classic, SI, ToA etc... quit that "from excalibur" imo... We gotta remember that to help new players we need more ppl making new toons, if everything is clustered, this would help it a lot with more lvl 20+'s...
You're talking about a server merge, not a server clustering. How do you plan on handling the case when different characters and guilds on different servers have the same name? Mythic's clustering solution is elegant and has lots of potential--I just wish they would also make some zones server-only, so that Prydwen would retain its quiet ToA while still enjoying clustered RvR. ;)

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
Belomar said:
You're talking about a server merge, not a server clustering. How do you plan on handling the case when different characters and guilds on different servers have the same name? Mythic's clustering solution is elegant and has lots of potential--I just wish they would also make some zones server-only, so that Prydwen would retain its quiet ToA while still enjoying clustered RvR. ;)

Afaik clustering ToA means you that both server's get access to eachother's ToA zones? It's nice for ML raids and such atleast.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
clustering RvR means we get to move between servers

there's also the option to cluster the old world/si/catacombs/toa zones (as in make it so there's only one version of each so that the population is crowded together a bit more)

however any clustering means only one realm for any new players along with the floodgates open on cross-realming/rp farming/whatever - which is why I really don't like the idea.

Xzynia

Fledgling Freddie
Belomar said:

Guess my definission of Clustering was wrong :)

I know the naming issue is a problem which might be diffucult to fix, but i think that clustering is... yea well, wierd... This means that ppl from Excal cant join Pryd guild and the other way around?

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
GOA Website said:
The /level command on the new servers
The /level command - that enables players who have a level 50 character to create new characters of level 20 - won't be activated for one month on the new servers Deira and Cumbria. This measure will enable the new players to progress at the same time as experienced players who will create new characters. So it will be easier for everyone to find companions of a similar level.

What server are these ?

Sorry if i missed it, but busy with work and stuff .... are those servers the new spanish servers or something ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom