Serious poll.

E

eneq

Im a 31 year old schoolteacher and live in the wonderful kingdom of Sweden. Have a Girlie and 2 small babies (17 months girl and 4 months boy) and live in a house.

Now to the poll.

After reading and posting here for some weeks i have met many diff posters and how the discuss things.
And i have meet people In Game that i have found very rude and unpolite.
BUT r they unpolite or is it just common things the do ?

Now its really time for the question.

Do u use the words "cunt" and other words like that in ordinary conversations ?
Like talking to best friend.
"hey you Cunt, how u doing ??"
"very nice here u retarded gay member !!"

Do u talk like this ?
Because according to this people they do.

Novamir
"im 19 and i call my mates cunts :/"

Old K-9-
"What's wrong with it." ...Regarding calling friends "cunts"

Old.Niljindil
"Oh and if you would read #celticfist im quite sure you would change your opinion about "mainly 6 year olds say cunt because they think it sounds funny"

Niljindil even claim that at #celticfist they call themselfs cunts and therefore i would change my opinion about using the word cunt.

Personaly i would never ever call my worst enemy with words as "cunt" "retarded" "Shot jozen with the gaygun" "crack-whore"

I can call them stupid and idiots but saying retarded is to make fun of a "sickness" some humans got. (hope u understand what i meant)

And regarding "gaygun" .... well....hmmm....Childish springs to my mind.

BUT !!!!!!
im maybe TOTALLY wrong here. IS this the words of the new generations of Players/kids/gamers ??

Im OLD so i maybe have totally diff of social rules and conducts...

Plz enlighten me in this matter..

P.S this isnt intended as a flame. Its really intended for seriously discussion.

B

bracken_woodman

Have to admit I do use the c-word in banter from time to time, but if someone finds it offensive then I wouldn't use it in front of them, simple as that. To carry on using it when you know someone is offended by it (unless that is your intention) is just childish. As for the use of retarded, I have to agree with you that is one word I dont like to hear used having worked with so-called "retarded" people ( the phrase is actually not used in its old context anymore). As for gaygun, haven't heard that one used, though I have to say that when I hear someone using gay in an offensive tone alot I can't help thinking they've got a little issue they might wanna talk about lol.

Another one I really dont like to hear used is "rape". Having known people who have been raped, and seen the effects it has, there is no place for that word's use in a game. Ever.

I'm 31 also by the way.

K

Keri

I doubt if you would be able to find one woman who finds the use of the "c-word" acceptable.

O

old.chipper

no i dont talk like that to my m8s in rl if i do its normally for a reason but doesnt matter here cos the personal factor is taken out so ppl let there words run rampant

E

eneq

Originally posted by bracken_woodman
Another one I really dont like to hear used is "rape". Having known people who have been raped, and seen the effects it has, there is no place for that word's use in a game. Ever.

I'm 31 also by the way.

Aye i also dont like the word "rape".
But i hear it alot of players going "heheh we raped em" etc etc.

BTW i didnt like the names some players had. Like a guy named Cancer.

I tought about hearing the msg.
U been killed b Cancer...

Some players maybe thinks that funny but i think there is alot of players that had cancer in there vicinity.

K

Keri

Originally posted by eneq
BTW i didnt like the names some players had. Like a guy named Cancer.

I tought about hearing the msg.
U been killed b Cancer...

Some players maybe thinks that funny but i think there is alot of players that had cancer in there vicinity.

Some players have it too.

O

old.Kerosene

Each to their own. Some people say it.. some don't.

As to the survey. I maybe say it once a week and don't swear very often except when I'm motivated to.

However I use 'mild' swear words extremely regularly I think and it was actually pointed out to me tonight :p

e.g.

Bugger -

Bugger that. - Not gonna do it.
He can bugger off. - He can politely go away :p
I'll be buggered if I'm going to do that.. You get the idea...

Bastard.

Bastard. - insult
Bastards - Cursing my bad luck
Bastard thing - Not happy with something.

Slag.

Chilly is a slag. - Nuff said. :p

J

Jozen

im not 31 and im not a school teacher ? im from sweden tho ?

N

Novamir

actually the girls that im good friends with in my halls don't mind me using the word 'cunt' for fun. i must say it in a special way or sth

O

old.Tzeentch

lol...

ok..
I call my closest mates 'cunts' all the time.. eg..

They play a practical joke on me.. or trap me into some work or whatever..

I laugh and say 'oh for fuck sake.. you cunts' - obviously I'm laughing, and it's all in good humour

or

My friend is late for something, I phone him up and say, 'move yer fanny ya smelly bastard!'

it might be a bit difficult though, for you to envisage 21 year old guy who doesn't take everything with so much gravity, that he can relax and speak to friends in this manner.. it's used with people you know.. not your boss, or in a formal meeting or such.

oh, and you gotta realise how we speak over here, with the accent and all.. I can't know how it is in Sweden, lol, but here, we have people swearing openly all the time, on the buses, trains etc.. but then again this is Scotland :D

oh, and the way you imagined the usage is wholly incorrect, it is said in a light hearted manner and with a humourous tone, and usually not in a greeting

about usage of the word 'gay'

when I say 'jozen got shot with the gaygun'
it doesn't mean jozen is a homosexual
it means jozen has become acquired some traits which do not appeal to me.

the use of the word gay, I think, in most peoples language here, does not intend to mean they are homosexual, but it's just used as a generic, derogotary term, combining whatever insult you wish to get across in the context.

eg
'that item is gay'

how can an item be homosexual?
it cannot.. it means in this instance, that it is crap

'jozen stop being gay'
this does not mean I caught jozen having sexual intercourse with wuren, and I am asking him to stop

it means, stop acting out of character.

hope this clarifies some points.

T

Tleilax

Originally posted by old.chipper
no i dont talk like that to my m8s in rl if i do its normally for a reason but doesnt matter here cos the personal factor is taken out so ppl let there words run rampant

still ppl with emotions behind the computer , somethimes ppl dont think bout that

S

Son

Well, I think its how you use the word 'cunt'

You are a fucking cunt - is not polite and would be primarily aimed at Swedish school teachers.

You are a cunt - would be aimed at somebody who has done something to annoy you but you kind of see their point of view.

You are a soft cunt - aimed at someone who you think is a little mentally deficient or has just made you smile in a sad, gimpy sort of way.

L

-Lonewolf-

Originally posted by Novamir
actually the girls that im good friends with in my halls don't mind me using the word 'cunt' for fun. i must say it in a special way or sth

Maybe their all slappers?

A

appollo creed

i never say c-u-n-t in game, but i say fuck 100 times a day, inn game and in rl :)

ask any TRG members

B

Bedroc the Hero

Would never use the word! Would never use any degrading words towards anyone ( especially not friends ).

I find that words like friend, mate, pal, works very nice for conveing friendship.

Of course I can tease as well. but then if im sure they know i love and respect them and understand Im joking. In situations like that we make jokes. i.e my guildm8s always tease me for beeing gay ( as i dress in pink :) ) we have great fun. I know they are joking and i tease back. Its all good humour and everyone make sure that noones feelings is hurt. We often take the posibility to convey true respect and friendship as well. not hiding behind these imature phrases.

would never use the c- word though and would be offended if someone used it about me or someone i know.

O

old.Arnor

what tzee said

but then again, me&my friends have a pretty weird sense of humour ^^

K

Kagato.

Never use that word in game, ever, I group with alot of rl girls and im quite sure they'd be quite offended if I used that sort of language freely.

Sure I swear now and then lightly but not those sorts of words, theres just no need for it.

G

Garnet

Never called anyone on daoc that unless they call me dutchheart <eyes Katt>

L

Lessurl

Agree with tzee, i'm from Scotland too (<gasp> another one :p ) and i swear all the time to my mates, they swear too. It's just how it is.
I'm also 21 (omg, wtf?) so it could be an age thing aswell.
That is the problem with DAOC, a large age range aswell as different cultures play the game so you are bound to come up against something that you find offensive but someone else thinks is just normal. Try to be tolerant of cultural differences and if it really does offend you that much then i'm sure most people would make an effort to not use that language infront of you (for example if i went to visit my parents and started talkin to my mother like i talk to my mates...... you get the idea ;) )
Saying that i do make the effort not to swear ingame as i know some quite young people could be playing or someone of a more sensitive disposition who doesn't see the funny side of bein called a fat bastard.
Oh and believe me, "cunt" is very mild compared to some of the things me and my mates say to eachother. ;)

L

lofff

eneq just been building a castle form a couple of words...

Am 21 years old, theres sth called sense of humor... i use it a lot specially with my rl mates, on a weird style tho. Here in daoc we call em 24/7 "bitching", and its not sth new or jsut me...

The fact that ur one of those DDi cunts helps me a lot, now i can figure why are u so anoying.

ps: Here in spain we are always on a good sense of humor or angry... so id better stick to my weird humor.

B

Bedroc the Hero

This is a very interesting discussion. There are always cultural differences. In real life you have the appearance and circumstance to help guide your behaviour. A lot of this is stripped away in the game. A firby bard can be anything from a 14yo boy to a 50yo woman with kids.

The c-word is just a word after all. If its used among friends in a way that is friendly and not intended to hurt anyone and all parties know this, then it would be ok.

When you are not sure about how the word is interpreted by others then you should be very careful using it though. At least if you care about other people. Anything else is impolite and immature. Id say that if you are offended at all by a word, then the other party is to blame.

I think there are different explanations for people using offending language in the game towards strangers:

• 1 - You dont care about other people at all and dont mind if you hurt them or make them sad. Some in this category also truely intend to cause unhappiness. These are the worst kind and very difficult to influence. You can try starting a conversation ( difficult to withhold for any length though ) explaining that you where hurt by what they said and ask why they want to hurt you. These are very rare though.
  • 2 - Some people ( many in this game using foul language I think ) are very young and naive. They think everyone thinks/acts like you do. Or at least that the other people dont count. Their world is very small and only populated with people the same age ( often same sex ) and the same culture. Age, education and experiance often changes this behaviour unless they turn into category nr one ( which is truly sad. )
  • 3 - Another category thinks that your values are the right ones and all others are wrong. People with other values are also much less important and dont deserve respectful treatment. Everyone has a a lil of this category in them I think. It takes effort and a good heart not to fall into this trap.
  • 4 - A fourth group are those thinking your not dealing with real ppl cause its a game. That thinks that your actions dont have consequences just becasue they are not as visible in the game. You cant see how sad you make the other party.

We must not forget that you can hurt as much acting from the "polite-mature-educated" faction as well. Looking down on younger people cause they are young. Looking down on less educated people like they are less worthy. This only breeds contempt and anger and is never a good thing. I know ive done this on occation and Im ashamed because of it. It saddens me every time it happens. If I learn it in time I try to apologize but its often to late. If Im lucky I can explain myself and make the other person feel I didnt mean to treat them bad. I even gained a few friends this way. ( dont recomend that you try hurting people to start a friendship though!! )

It takes a great social skill to behave correctly when you get so few social signals. Smilies help a lil but its a poor way to communicate compared to bodylanguage and tone, pace of your voice. But use it when you can and when it helps :)

A good thing with games like this though is that you do mix people. This furters understanding and respect. It lets you see ( if you want to ) other aspects in life and can be a great source of knowledge and experiance! This needs you to be very careful though so you dont step on any toes by accident.

I love you all! I wish you happiness and good health! I hope I never hurt any of you. Instead I pray that I might be able to help or entertain you just a tad. That would make my day!! :)

( not very likely to entertain anyone though with these long, boring and selfconcious posts am I?? :) Guess I failed utterly from the beginning. But then Im just a phat lazy stupid firby dressed in pink, desperatly fishing for compliments. ;) )

S

stabba3

I try to type in a way that dont offend anyone, except when im drunk. I have no problem with people using abusive or foul language tho, except when they use numbers and symbols, because it is hard to read.

E

eneq

Originally posted by lofff
eneq just been building a castle form a couple of words...

Am 21 years old, theres sth called sense of humor... i use it a lot specially with my rl mates, on a weird style tho. Here in daoc we call em 24/7 "bitching", and its not sth new or jsut me...

The fact that ur one of those DDi cunts helps me a lot, now i can figure why are u so anoying.

ps: Here in spain we are always on a good sense of humor or angry... so id better stick to my weird humor.

"The fact that ur one of those DDi cunts helps me a lot, now i can figure why are u so anoying."

This what im refering to.
Calling me stupid or an idiot its ok becasue its personal view. But to call me a "cunt" i find very rude and offensive.

And to call a whole guild "cunts" is even more stupid.

Maybe its a "sense of humor" but one humour i really cant understand.... :/

K

k9awya

ddi what cunts

HAHAHAAHA :|

i can honestly say all ddi are cunts and i have due reason to witnessing their cuntness on uo

what a bunch of freaks, especially harry the rl rper, what a cunt.

smooth criminal signing out.:>

C

cjkaceBM

The use of any 'offensive' word is dependant upon the context with which you use it.

When spoken it's pretty easy to determine the context as you can generally see the person who has spoken, so you can tell what they mean by their expression or the tone of their voice. Many 'offensive' words can be used in a context to which they were never intended.

Where it all falls to pieces tho is in the written word - either on forums or in game chat. Here it becomes that little bit more difficult to determine whether it's a serious insult, taking the piss or a general ribbing.

I personally refrain from typing 'offensive' words, altho speak them quite a lot, mainly because the people I speak too know what I mean when I say it. People you type too have less room for error.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom