Rant Rising prices

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
It's not about having an alternative, it's about my right to have a bloody car if I want one. Why should it incur ever larger taxes. You lot want your bumps felt :eek: Whether someone needs a car or not, is none of your bloody business.
Oh yeah then same with mansions, everyone should have a mansion as well.

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
We live on the outskirts of london in zone 5, I work in Zone 1, vae in zone 2. Last year my annual travel card was £1700, Vae's was just over a grand. We have a car which we don't use that often, but its invaluable for things like doing the shopping, visiting friends who DON'T louve in london (which is most of them) and family. We do about 5-6000 miles a year and the car does approx 38 mpg. I think both of us wouldn't hesitate in saying its 100% worth having it and useful.

rynnor

Rockhound
I think what will happen is that less and less people will get insurance and thus road tax. Its cheaper to be fined for driving without etc. in the small chance that you are caught than it is to pay insurance alone at 17.

A kid at work is paying 3k for his £500 car to be insured - the fine for driving without tax/insurance would be half that.

If insurance rises any higher the govt should look at removing the legal requirement for insurance.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
I think what will happen is that less and less people will get insurance and thus road tax. Its cheaper to be fined for driving without etc. in the small chance that you are caught than it is to pay insurance alone at 17.

A kid at work is paying 3k for his £500 car to be insured - the fine for driving without tax/insurance would be half that.

If insurance rises any higher the govt should look at removing the legal requirement for insurance.

The police in Britain havent got cameras yet that automatically register your licenseplate and will send you a bill if you havent played your taxes (any tax as a matter of fact)?

rynnor

Rockhound
The police in Britain havent got cameras yet that automatically register your licenseplate and will send you a bill if you havent played your taxes (any tax as a matter of fact)?

If the car wasnt registered to the correct address/person theres not much they can do - also people clone number plates.

A bloke at works dad saw a car driving around with his number plate - went to the police but they werent bothered.

Punishment

Resident Freddy

clockwork_big_Movie_production_costs_compared_Cost_per_second_Why_you_shouldnt_blink_in_a_movie_theater_Movie_costs_per_second_2011-s544x355-14546-580.jpg

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
If the car wasnt registered to the correct address/person theres not much they can do - also people clone number plates.

A bloke at works dad saw a car driving around with his number plate - went to the police but they werent bothered.

It goes with a digital foto taken of the licenseplate which features your face (and the car). If the bills don't get payed they'll stick someone on it.

Edit: I need to add this is how it works here in the Netherlands. Atleast it's beeing done now and will be used more in the future.

Talks about a law of sticking a tracker in the car are ongoing. Which would mean they can see where you drove to, how far it was and how much time it took.

soze

I am a FH squatter
A lot of people I know have bought a season ticket from Clacton to Colchester (guards on the train) then buy a season ticket from Shenfield to London to get though the barriers at Liverpool street. This saves about 3k a year. I would never do that but with another 8% price increase for trains where you often can not sit down at rush hour I can see why some people do.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Is this idiot week for you or something keitz? Everythread you've posted nothing but unsubstantiated bullshit.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
viz car tax, i think its shitty, but its also done basically on a truism, which is young men do tend to crash more, and into OTHER PEOPLE, thats where the cost comes in. noone cares if your car cost 50p, if you hit a new bentley, someone has to pay for it.
this is easily solved, make it comparable to the motorbike licenses for youngsters - for the first X years after getting license under age of 25 or so, you arent alllowed to have a car with an engine over 1litre. or similair :p

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
We use our car every day. I use it to get to work and back, a 45 minute walk otherwise. Now a 45 minute walk isn't so bad but I don't finish work until 11:30pm at the earliest and I really don't want to be doing that walk after being on my feet all the time I've been working. There are no buses running that late so while I could get the bus to work I'd still have to do that walk coming home.

Our closest family live 100 miles away and most of our friends are scattered around the country. In fact I haven't seen my greatest friend for more than 3 years because I just can't afford to get up there. Money is to tight to pay for the tank and a half if petrol and last I checked it would cost £170 return on the train.

And yes Ch3t, people would have to quit work. I don't know the exact figure but I'll put a ballpark figure of 75% of people who work in city centres don't live there. They have to commute in and it's all well and good saying "They'll just have to give up some luxuries" but they're already doing that to meet the rising cost of living. Where do you think they'll find the moeny to pay for more fare and Road Tax/Insurance/Fuel Duty increases?

My dad lives 20+ miles from where he's based (Truck driver) and he doesn't finish work till 1am-ish. How is he supposed to get home? I don't even think there is public transportation to where he works. If prices go up too much he won't be able to run his car which means he'll have to quit work.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
lol, yet another "I pulled a statistic RIGHT OUT OF MY STINKING ARSEHOLE to backup my argument post" by an utter moron. There's been a lot of those recently.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
public transport has been fucked for years tho, services are a bit wank, all over the country, and its impossible to put in new railway lines, or even reopen the ones beeching shut, cos the minute you mention it you get attacked by hordes of mongoloid NIMBYs

Access Denied

lol, yet another "I pulled a statistic RIGHT OUT OF MY STINKING ARSEHOLE to backup my argument post" by an utter moron. There's been a lot of those recently.

Apologies if that wasn't aimed but me btu I'll assume it was. I did quantify it by saying I don't know the exact figure but then I just look at the sardines during rush hour. So in the event it was aimed at me, kindly fuck off.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
It's not about having an alternative, it's about my right to have a bloody car if I want one. Why should it incur ever larger taxes. You lot want your bumps felt :eek: Whether someone needs a car or not, is none of your bloody business.
That's what you responded to, my original statement. So, I'm saying if I want a car, I can have one and shouldnt be taxed excessively for it. You are saying ,well, what the fuck is your response meant to mean?? If I want a mansion, and can afford it, are you saying I shouldnt be allowed one? Or that everyone should have one? What the fuck are you saying ?

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Yeh sorry that I don't agree with everyone..

I agree, everyone should have a car.. petrol should be free.. there should be no taxes..

Etc.. etc.. etc..

I don't see where I even posted a statistic by the way.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Keitz, I'm not just going to attack you and walk away.

Do you realise how much owning and running a car actually costs? Insurance is ridiculous, and rising more and more. Across Europe it's far cheaper, we are getting raped here. Road tax is a joke at the moment, and then the every rising cost of fuel. It costs me between £35 and £40 a week on fuel for a 30mile return trip 5 times a week to work, I do get some light social use out of my car too. It would cost me £35 a week on the train, and I'd still have to fill my car up for social use.

The train involves me getting to work really early, or late. I have to put up with their delays, changes of schedule and leafs on the track (hah!).

A car costs a lot lot more than it used to, and you think we should pay more? Fuck right off, that's eco bullshit thinking. What would pricing people out of driving achieve, those who need to drive would still have to, and contribute less to the economy through spending, affecting jobs. The public transport network in this country is already working at capacity during rush hour, how would it cope with even more travellers?

Why don't you try thinking things through before posting utter tripe.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
We use our car every day. I use it to get to work and back, a 45 minute walk otherwise. Now a 45 minute walk isn't so bad but I don't finish work until 11:30pm at the earliest and I really don't want to be doing that walk after being on my feet all the time I've been working. There are no buses running that late so while I could get the bus to work I'd still have to do that walk coming home.

45 minute walk = 5-10 minutes on a bicycle.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
I think he was trying to say that having a personal mode of transportation even if you live in the middle of nowhere is a luxury and seeing as it makes it harder to cross the road because people are trying to make a living going about their daily lives that it was clearly unacceptable, we should all move to an urban centre and be civilized

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
I'm not saying it's better for everyone at all.. but some people have a car sitting there and they only use it maybe once or twice a week.. then they cry about the cost of insurance etc.. it's a piss take..

Trains are pretty shitty yeh :p

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
I think he was trying to say that having a personal mode of transportation even if you live in the middle of nowhere is a luxury and seeing as it makes it harder to cross the road because people are trying to make a living going about their daily lives that it was clearly unacceptable, we should all move to an urban centre and be civilized
Nah I'm just saying it's pretty ridiculous the number of people who drive..

I live about 1-2minute walk from the local shop.. I see quite a few families up my road who refuse to walk, they ALWAYS drive... even for a packet of cigs etc... yeah yeah they have a car it's their "right" to use it.. but come on how lazy can you be it's a 1-2 minute walk..

While there are plenty of people who decide to walk, and there are roads near me which take minutes to cross because of those types of people.

Punishment

Resident Freddy

Can you fit your 150 euro or so weekly shop on that back of that bike ? Feeding 3 kids is kinda hard when you can only bring them home what will fit in your basket ;)

Access Denied

Yep, and when it's pissing down with rain I'm really going to feel like riding to work and slogging through a shift while soaked...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I'm not saying it's better for everyone at all.. but some people have a car sitting there and they only use it maybe once or twice a week.. then they cry about the cost of insurance etc.. it's a piss take..

Trains are pretty shitty yeh :p

why shouldn't they cry about the price of insurance? It's a bloody joke, and pretty much profiteering. The insurance companies say it's to cover the cost of personal injury claims, yet they are the ones that sell (yes for money) our details to the scummy claim firms.

Why should people not own a car for social use?

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Nah I'm just saying it's pretty ridiculous the number of people who drive..

I live about 1-2minute walk from the local shop.. I see quite a few families up my road who refuse to walk, they ALWAYS drive... even for a packet of cigs etc... yeah yeah they have a car it's their "right" to use it.. but come on how lazy can you be it's a 1-2 minute walk..

While there are plenty of people who decide to walk, and there are roads near me which take minutes to cross because of those types of people.

You posted above that people have car's "Just sitting there" and then go on to say "People using their car's for trivial reasons" Which is it ?

Look into the maintenance costs of a 1.6 litre petrol or 2.0 litre diesel modern car which most people have not by choice, after paying all that if im too lazy to walk for 15 minutes in the rain to get a packet of fag's i think it is my right to do so, maybe im in a rush to get back for the second half of a match or to put the kids to bed after working a long shift, or as many of you will know maybe i just got back from work and the missus asked me to get some milk or somesuch for the dinner that i forgot and im nipping out to pick it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom