[QUESTION] Requiel/IainC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Carlos accurately sums it up I think.

I note that some of the people feigning righteous nerd rage and making digs since the incident/post aren't even playing WAR and are merely trolling.

It's blizzard being pissed at their subscriptions falling ;)

I bet they've set up an indian call centre to troll WAR boards

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
To all of those, that agree with IainC, you have every right to feel that way, but you aren't one of the two major _CUSTOMER RELATIONS_ guys for a company. Apart from the CEO of a company, I cant think of anyone else that needs to always stay positive or at least silent about customers without exception. "Something wrong with you" and "borderline sociopath" are just inexcusable. PR disaster of the year so far IMO.

i'm not saying that what he wrote was the correct way of saying it. i just agree with him.

if you get so mad at something as pathetic as a open beta and feel the need to make death threats there IS something wrong with you. and a sociopath probably isnt that far away from the truth.

i mean, there must be something HORRIBLY wrong with such a person.

dee777

Loyal Freddie
if you get so mad at something as pathetic as a open beta and feel the need to make death threats there IS something wrong with you. and a sociopath probably isnt that far away from the truth.

I agree with you on that part, but I still believe that a CM has to shut up if he cant say something positive.

Comparisons never work, so I feel inclined to do one here too. ;) If you are employed in a sewage treatment plant as the guy that cleans out the filters and the pipes, you (literally) got a crap job. You will have to deal with the stench or stop working.

@Carlos: I agree with you as well, however I dont think there is any need to spindoctor the timeframe. The beta wasnt late a few hours, but a few days for some people. Given the whole beta was "only" 7 days long and that some people actually "paid" for the beta by buying the higher priced CE that got marketed with guaranteed beta access, I can understand some rage. Just to be completely clear, that does not warrant death threats. Not at all.

Magicthise

Fledgling Freddie
Personally I think mistakes where made and now it is time to forget about it. The most important issue is good support and good comunity management. War is only weeks old and still has a lot of unpredicted bugs. I don't think it's a good time to be one manager down for whatever reason.

Narzeja

Loyal Freddie
Regardless of how true IanC's statement was, or how much I agree with him, no company should ever ever ever post such a statement in an official message. Keep in mind that he represents the company. It's just not good bizz.

Belsameth

Tainted
I'd actually respect a company a lot more if they communicated honestly.
Which includes calling their sociopathic customers a bunch of sociopaths.
Guess I'm the only one :p

Soazak

Part of the furniture
I'd actually resepect a company a lot more if they communicated honestly.

:iagree:

The world would be a better place if we could all be honest :)

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Regardless of how true IanC's statement was, or how much I agree with him, no company should ever ever ever post such a statement in an official message. Keep in mind that he represents the company. It's just not good bizz.

I don't think anyone has argued that it wasn't misjudged, merely that the nerdrage backlash far outweighs what was said. At best all folks have said is that they agree with the sentiment expressed.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
I'd actually resepect a company a lot more if they communicated honestly.

I agree, honesty is in short supply

:m00:

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
As Carlos pointed out, Mark Jacobs utterly crucified Requiel on his personal blog. This daft act was the worst part of it, if anyone should be gagged its Mark Jacobs.

The whole thing annoys the crap outa me. This whole "He's a company representative" thing is beside the point, he was attacked on a forum by people who have no morals and no social conscience then when he defends himself apparently these self-same morons suddenly retrospectively sprout feelings which can be hurt (but oddly are absent when issuing death threats), are oddly shocked and outraged and have to be appeased and apologised too.

They can dish it out with reckless abandon safe in their internet anonymity, but they can't take it when they get a reality check. The whole thing is so utterly ludicrous :(

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
I'd actually respect a company a lot more if they communicated honestly.

It is just too bad that the honesty from such a company is so low to begin with. Perhaps if they were (had been?) actual honest about more things, people would have been more willing to accept such honesty when it was presented.
And honesty is not spin or attempts at discussing semantics. (equal is not identical, highly confident in the account center, didn't fail as people had predicted bla bla bla)

Also we should remember how the original statement from IainC was formulated, which lumped many posters into the sociopathic group without any mentions of death threats and what not, because they complained. He might have had a point in his edited version, but his first one was IMO way out of line. And that is just as much an error of posting frustrated as many others made those days.

dee777

Loyal Freddie
The whole thing annoys the crap outa me. This whole "He's a company representative" thing is beside the point, he was attacked on a forum by people who have no morals and no social conscience then when he defends himself apparently these self-same morons suddenly retrospectively sprout feelings which can be hurt (but oddly are absent when issuing death threats), are oddly shocked and outraged and have to be appeased and apologised too.

They can dish it out with reckless abandon safe in their internet anonymity, but they can't take it when they get a reality check. The whole thing is so utterly ludicrous :(

You generalize too much. Any points you may have are getting watered down by that.

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
This whole "He's a company representative" thing is beside the point, he was attacked on a forum by people who have no morals and no social conscience then when he defends himself apparently these self-same morons suddenly retrospectively sprout feelings which can be hurt (but oddly are absent when issuing death threats), are oddly shocked and outraged and have to be appeased and apologised too.

The (forgive the word) flawed assumption there is that his public censure and subsequent disappearance was as a result of hurting anyone's feelings, or even that Mr Jacobs cares about his customers feelings.

Justified or not.
What he did was bad PR for a product in it's infancy
Bad PR moves from someone who is the public face of a company at what is perhaps the most important time for a MMO, the first few days, is a no no.

Internet forums have the added benefit of being a controlled environment as regards what you say and don't say, it's not like quick-fire questioning with live people, you have the luxury of formulating, appraising then posting your PoV.

Whilst I have every sympathy with the underlying (revised) sentiment he expressed, posting it solved nothing, and simply worsened the situation.

As a community manager he should have known that.
As someone who is an employee of a big corporation in the 21st century, he should have been under no illusions that his employers would scapegoat him at the drop of a hat when there's money involved.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I think Mark Jacobs should publicly give Requiel a blowjob and at the end say "mmm, you're re-instated".

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
i still agree with everything he said tho.

yes it was out of line for a CM but read the lines before the red text.

how do you politely answer someone that just made death threats to you?

The text in the link here is his damage control edit version.

He simply told players, of whom some paid for the open beta access, that if they are angry for being late in that beta that there is something wrong with them.

The racial slur, death thread stuff he added, after he screwed up.

This is one of the original sentences: "If having delayed access to a beta test really drives you to such depths of anger and fury then - and there is no polite way to put this - there is something wrong with you."

His post got quoted before he edited it, as you can see here: Warhammer Forums - View Single Post - Letter from IainC on Open Beta Situation - so you agree with everything he said, including his usual contradicting and meaningless bla bla on the technical issues, congratulations I guess...

He was part of the problem at GOA, the bad service and the bad attitude of GOA, playing SotG power games and never actually listening to any of the suggestions made (I doubt he even forwarded any of those that have been made)...

The day before or so GOA's CEO apologizes on the official website for dropping the ball with the OB and then he decides to do such a post?

Go figure.

If he got death threats, he should have called the police. That's what I would have done.

If he indeed intended to stop working for GOA and dealing with assholes playing internet heroes, then he did a fantastic job, he was still a shit GM though and there is nothing wrong with me saying that, I am entitled to an opinion as a paying customer.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
note: FH starts to look like that English newspaper the SUN :p

Phantomby

Loyal Freddie
He was part of the problem at GOA, the bad service and the bad attitude of GOA, playing SotG power games and never actually listening to any of the suggestions made.

If he indeed intended to stop working for GOA and dealing with assholes playing internet heroes, then he did a fantastic job, he was still a shit GM though and there is nothing wrong with me saying that, I am entitled to an opinion as a paying customer.

Couldnt agree more

I still think hes here though, on silent mode, watching and chuckling behind his gagging order.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
I think Mark Jacobs should publicly give Requiel a blowjob and at the end say "mmm, you're re-instated".

why stop there, why not a bit of rimming!.. :kissit:

:m00:

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Can't help but think the people most upset and continuing to be upset by the original comment were the ones that felt most threatened by it ie were most likely to be sociopaths themselves ^^

Idris

Fledgling Freddie
If he's gone, I'd simply like to know that Magnus is now sole English CSR, that's all.

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
I hope Requiel is still around working on WAR, he has been doing a great job so far imo, and I was in beta from the beginning of closed beta. His post wasn't the most brilliant one, but I can understand it though.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
What he said was right and pretty much summed up what many felt about the whining nerds having a toy throwing episode because they couldn't play on the first day. However he should have simply made sure that they never got to play by banning them from the servers, the mods should have also been more active on here to ban them from FH.

In saying that, he was out of his depth in DAOC, allowing personal feelings to cloud his judgement on decisions made there. There is no point going over them again as everyone knows what a mess he made of that but a CM/GM should be neutral, not take sides and certainly not have players on MSN who can contact him to help them out with GM tools in RvR.

Anyway, its probably best to put things behind us, the game is running relatively smooth now with only a few bugs and "features" that need fixing. With Blizzards new cash cow arriving in a months time GOA and Mythic need to be at the very top of their game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom