Religion above the law? Noooo.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Just found this :

Blind man's guide dog barred from restaurant for offending Muslims - Telegraph

Title says it all really - although it is the Telegraph and by the by it's written a little badly the point is still direct. To me, it's sickening - religion shouldn't have a place in a public facility such as a restaurant, certainly when it comes down to offending people in this manner.

It says later on in the article that the owners/partner "did not know" about the law allowing guide dogs in any premises and the Disability Discrimination Act, however that just made me laugh. Did these people think the signs on just about every shops front door that says "No dogs allowed except guide dogs" are for decoration? You can't miss them, unless you want to. Selective ignorance in this case.

Dogs may be unclean in a place of food - most of them probably are, then again many are cleaner than the people they are serving. Am I right in remembering that a dog's mouth is cleaner than a humans?

Ah well, I hope he goes on to sue them - it might be a bit harsh but you can't belittle people like that and expect to get away with it, and religion is no excuse. If they really find it offensive to their faith, make the restaurant a private club and do it legally.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
aaah but if he tries to sue them, he will be stamped as a bigot, racist, etc, for attacking foreigners

its fucked up :(

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Then again, if memory serves me(pun there), places have the option to choose whom they serve :lol:

Also, i've never seen a "unless you is blind" when "no dogs allowed" signs are up. Might be i haven't looked, have to see, but might be "case pointual"(made it up, i know). Meaning, not all places have 'em, so not all people know it.

Kryten, i think a dogs mouth is, to a dog that is. Then again, farting in ones eye is more safe then licking someones eye so...who knows.

I'd say that the dog should be allowed in to eat a steak. Not too sure on the human though.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Toht, it's standard in the UK to allow guide dogs in to places that do not usually allow dogs. All big chains will have the signs, not all independent shops/food places etc will.

Tom, I disagree on one point. It is private property, not public and they can refuse entry to anyone they want. However actually telling someone they have not let them in because they are blind and need their dog with them, that is just leaving yourself open to legal action.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Toht, it's standard in the UK to allow guide dogs in to places that do not usually allow dogs. All big chains will have the signs, not all independent shops/food places etc will.

Ah ok, then it should be public knowledge i guess.

Depends ofcourse on the ethnicity of the place, but still.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Tom, I disagree on one point. It is private property, not public and they can refuse entry to anyone they want. However actually telling someone they have not let them in because they are blind and need their dog with them, that is just leaving yourself open to legal action.

Eh?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
erm as I read the article, the fellow admitted he wasn't aware and that the restaurant had made an error. he also wrote a letter of apology. I surmise that his feelings are genuine, why should they not be?

too bad the chap refused entry didn't say "iz it because my dog iz black?" :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
A joke, based on a well televised joke. Well done Brooky, round of applause.

Anyway, as I said he's apologised and all that but I really can't think anyone is that ignorant of the signs displayed in god knows how many shops (literally every shop in my town's high street) - plus of course as a business owner you have obligations to know and understand the laws governing your business.

"Oh, I'm sorry meestar, I didn't know you were not allowed cockroaches in my kitcheen!"

rynnor

Rockhound
Interestingly theres nothing in the Koran itself against Dogs - their prejudice against Dogs comes from the hadith which is a bunch of accompanying writings where all the bad stuff comes from.

Heres a charming example "When one of you prays without a sutrah, a dog, an ass, a pig, a Jew, a Magian, and a woman cut off his prayer, but it will suffice if they pass in front of him at a distance of over a stone's throw."

So cows and cats seem to be ok...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So cows and cats seem to be ok...

Isn't that the same kind of "taking things literally" attitude that often religious people are burned for :p

Disclaimer: Above is said with a pinch of salt, tongue cheek and a hint of "nyah".

rynnor

Rockhound
Isn't that the same kind of "taking things literally" attitude that often religious people are burned for :p

Disclaimer: Above is said with a pinch of salt, tongue cheek and a hint of "nyah".

I always think religions look their most ridiculous when they make these kind of stupid lists without any internal logic - to be fair the Koran itself doesnt do this but I take issue with the Hadiths.

They are reputed to be the sayings of the Prophet but many werent assembled until long after events took place which inevitably means their accuracy is suspect and were probably subject to later additions.

The same is true of the gospels that formed the new testament.

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
i knew where the quote came from, but apparently it is acceptable because its "well publicised"

TdC

next time I make a joke about the Irish, French, Belgians, Welshmen, Americans, or anyone from Leeds I expect you to jump out and raise a fuss then ok? :p

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
i knew where the quote came from, but apparently it is acceptable because its "well publicised"

You're one of those "watch what you say because it might be racist" PC people aren't you. Also known as cocks.
Seriously jokes about Jews, the Welsh, the Irish, people with ginger hair, they're all well publicised too, you telling me you've never used one?

Chilly

Balls of steel
Why did the welshman cross the road?
Because his cock was stuck in the sheep that was following the chicken.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I always think religions look their most ridiculous when they make these kind of stupid lists without any internal logic - to be fair the Koran itself doesnt do this but I take issue with the Hadiths.

They are reputed to be the sayings of the Prophet but many werent assembled until long after events took place which inevitably means their accuracy is suspect and were probably subject to later additions.

The same is true of the gospels that formed the new testament.

Slightly OT: But yes, i kind of agree that religion should never talk in ultimatums or strict rules and base itself on hypothesis, general guidelines and basic principles with the undertone that "yes, you should think for yourself a bit".

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
00dave, i am not a pc person, i got banned for suspect rascist remarks the other month and am just pointing out the double standards displayed by some of the moderators, you cannot get the ban stick out for one thing and do something (even in joke form) almost the same and expect no punishment.

and TDC, you are almost intimating making jokes about me as you know i am from Leeds, thats fine, as long as when you insult me you get a warning from the moderators just like any other forum member would.

TdC

00dave, i am not a pc person, i got banned for suspect rascist remarks the other month and am just pointing out the double standards displayed by some of the moderators, you cannot get the ban stick out for one thing and do something (even in joke form) almost the same and expect no punishment.

and TDC, you are almost intimating making jokes about me as you know i am from Leeds, thats fine, as long as when you insult me you get a warning from the moderators just like any other forum member would.

yes Brooky that is correct, I was intimating making jokes about people from Leeds meaning you specifically, because I can read in your location postbit that you are from there, presumably. I was doing this to drive home a point, however I see that it was a pointless exercise. Oh well.

Also, as a mod I can see everything you've ever been infracted for, and as far as I am concerned you are lucky to still be allowed to post, as there is rather an extreme difference between a completely apt Ali G joke, and the rubbish you tend to spout. imo naturally.

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus

Still a cock though :)

Seriously you got banned and then rejoined, what kind of loser rejoins a forum that doesn't want him, it's not like there are only a handful to choose from. I'm surprised the mods don't ban you again.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
what kind of loser rejoins a forum that doesn't want him

Too far.

Dark Orb Choir said:
double standards displayed by some of the moderators

Sorry, but this is true on occasions. I walked away from FH because of it, but they're only human and fallible like the rest of us.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
For people like Toh who dont know

This is the sign in nearly every shop you go to

687562.jpg

That or something similar

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Maybe I'm being very thick here, but how is "Is it 'cos I is black?" racist anyway? I read it as asking someone if they are being racist.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
*thinks about handing out bans for Christmas*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom