[RANT] rant

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
afaik, the game servers are still located in the same place as daoc servers were, just the support will be in Dublin so you get the 24/7 support, the ping will not be any different

nope they moved the servers from paris to lille in a brand new and shiny data center. and they invested an insane amount of money in new hardware.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
I work for a financial information vendor, transmitting stock and futures prices over a proprietary network to customers using the prices for trading.

In a previous job in this industry I was product manager for a charting application, and we had a user who consistently reported spikes (bad prices) in their data from us.... support couldn't understand why, so a colleague and I went to their site.

When we got there we inspected their feed unit, software and hardware and could find no reason for the problems, but as we stood by their equipment rack we heard an almighty shuddering... just around the corner, plugged into the same power socket, was an enourmous fridge. Turned out that every time the thermostat on the fridge clicked over and it shuddered into life the guys data was getting corrupted massively :D

(Actually, the problem went away after we explained, but a few months later support contacted us saying they were getting data spikes... we just told support to advise them to unplug their fridge again... numpties :D)

rofl :clap:

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
I think the main problem that people encounter is that the U.S is providing MORE than they said they would - e.g the PW weekend, early announcement of SE preorders getting into the OB etc... Mythic have provided above what their initial targets were, which is obviously a good thing.

I think people just assumed GOA would immediately provide the same thing, but truth be told, GOA are providing EXACTLY what they said they would - namely an OB and Headstart. As far as I know, they are still on track so I'm satisfied, and I don't see what we can complain about :D

(Warhammer Alliance is just a barrel of fun - I'm pretty sure a self help group has formed for people who didn't receive their OB keys before this weekend)

It would be nice for the account centre to be up today tho. I don't fancy downloading any huge patches on my slow internet line, on a day the servers really will be stress tested :D But still, they promised the accounts would be online before beta starts, so 1 min before still counts as a promise held!

/qft

making so much sense on a forum should be forbidden. ;)

Scorba

Fledgling Freddie
So maybe pointing out the poor level of quality of the GOA Web outfit wasn't just 'negativity' after all. Perhaps if they had heeded the various warning signs that people pointed out, this foolish cock up would not be happening. Stupid thing is, I will play the game if it takes a week to register but I can hear the sound of all those people getting stuck on the no information wab page and heading back to WoW as Warhammer is obviously a Mickey Mouse game.

Yes this is a Beta so some bugs and difficulties should be expected but to put out no explanation whatsover on their main website says, same old GOA, and we all know what that implies for our future service.

Zaagazug

Fledgling Freddie
Seriously: The problem here was that they were late with the account page. No database can really take this amount of hammering.

Anyone remembering the WoW release? Account creation/management went down into the mud over and over and it took any hours for most people to create a username and login.

Having said that they should have expressed this yesterday since it was a given :)

And as I wrote in the othet thread I would be surprised if we are not playing tonight and mutter about crashing servers instead.

Reiken

Fledgling Freddie
Seriously: The problem here was that they were late with the account page. No database can really take this amount of hammering.

Anyone remembering the WoW release? Account creation/management went down into the mud over and over and it took any hours for most people to create a username and login.

Having said that they should have expressed this yesterday since it was a given :)

And as I wrote in the othet thread I would be surprised if we are not playing tonight and mutter about crashing servers instead.

Seems to me you are treating OB like it was release! :D
They ARE stresstesting their account management and general webservers with the OB and from the looks of it (nothing works) they are doing a damn fine job at it.

WoW indeed did have shait in their menu for the first few days, but that was RELEASE. We are still talking BETA here. Let us not forget the difference.

That is not to say that things would for sure be different on the 18nth, but at least this gives us hope that they could be prepared for the HS and the Release day.

Anywho.. I think I'm down with my fourth waiting beer, so I really dont care anymore.. besides, I was in CB so I'm just waiting for the servers to come online so I can play. :drink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom