[RANT] rant

jonrossi

Fledgling Freddie
/st jupitarse and anyother FH forum admins

c'mon guys, the last time i checked, this was a free country ,with freedom of speech. (well the UK is anyway)

so why as soon as anyone states anything in a post that might upset GOA (and yes the truth does hurt) does it get locked down?!?!?

what is going on, you have to take the rough with the smooth, and your not even on the payroll

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
/st jupitarse and anyother FH forum admins

c'mon guys, the last time i checked, this was a free country ,with freedom of speech. (well the UK is anyway)

so why as soon as anyone states anything in a post that might upset GOA (and yes the truth does hurt) does it get locked down?!?!?

what is going on, you have to take the rough with the smooth, and your not even on the payroll

Actually you do not have freedom of speech on these boards. As part of you registering and making a first post you agreed to the following:

"The owners of FreddysHouse reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason."

You will receive an infraction for abusing a mod, namely Jupitus with your name.

Now, onto your little rant. Jupitus closed the thread and gave a reason why.

jonrossi

Fledgling Freddie
ok fair point, but why then cant we have both sides of the coin,

it seems to me you are saying:

only join or post on this forum if you promise not to say anything bad about GOA, what is the point in that, lets get both views from both sides of the fence and stop pussy footing around.

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
thing is, if we all were allowed to rant away at GOA in all free will

these boards would go out of hand considering how its been before

Vell

Fledgling Freddie
Or lets just use this forum for what is was intended - discussion amoung people who are enthusiastic about the game. What do you actually hope to achieve by bashing GOA about things that most of the time are completely irrelevant? The fact is, your negative posts will put people off both the game and from using these forums - it's not difficult to see why the posts are locked.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Not at all. I would not tolerate a heavily censored board, trust me, I am most vocal to any form of censorship. If you look over the forums you will see many posts which have a go at GOA especially at their running of DAoC.

If we wanted to be extremely strict then the posts themselves would be removed. As it happens if we feel stuff crosses the line we leave the posts but lock the thread. We have to be fairly tolerant of both parties. Example, if we the forum users manage to piss GOA off that much they won't frequent these boards and give/help us out. Do we want to drive them away?

Finally, I do look at any complaints and you can always PM me with your concerns and I will take it up with whomever and report back.

jonrossi

Fledgling Freddie
look, i know i am barking up the wrong tree, and none of my posts are intended to offend (sticks and stones and all that)

i for one would love nothing more than to tell GOA direct, but as they dont have a forum this is the next best thing.

my biggest gripe - equal treatment - we havnt even started and we are way behind.

and not even you DEEBS, can deny this fact, no matter how much spin you try to put on it,

point and case, period ( as an american buddy would say)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
look, i know i am barking up the wrong tree, and none of my posts are intended to offend (sticks and stones and all that)

i for one would love nothing more than to tell GOA direct, but as they dont have a forum this is the next best thing.

my biggest gripe - equal treatment - we havnt even started and we are way behind.

and not even you DEEBS, can deny this fact, no matter how much spin you try to put on it,

point and case, period ( as an american buddy would say)

Behind in what? The open beta starts Sunday for the EU users, specifically the afternoon, so that is 2.5 days of work and bear in mind that as they have relocated to Dublin they are not bound by the restrictive French working laws.

If they pull it off then you have ranted for nothing, if they fail to deliver then you have a valid point to make but until then all you are doing is blowing hot air as YOU have no idea at this point in time if they are going to deliver. That is a fact.

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
isnt it simpler that you just buy the US version if thats what you want?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ok, let us look at each one in turn, bearing in mind I don't know the answers to some of them so I will respond with some questions in the hope that others may join in this discussion.

preview weekend ('s)
Ok, did GOA announce they were going to run a preview weekend(s). I know the US have one running at the moment.

better updated website
Couldn't agree more. I do not like the flash website. It misbehaves and is slow.

account centre
Don't see what the problem is here. As long as they have stress tested the Account Centre heavily then it should not be a problem. I suspect they will have a portal page to take you to seperate registration servers based on language so they will spread the load.

As long as it is online before Sunday morning (at a guess) then I see no issue with not having it online today. Noone can steal your preferred nickname. My view? It will appear on Saturday when most people are not working.

road to war
Not sure what this is. Sorry.

jonrossi

Fledgling Freddie
isnt it simpler that you just buy the US version if thats what you want?

/st herta

look dude, we were promised equal treatment, i dont want any of those things as they mean nothing to me, only the game itself is important,

although i admit the CE i purchased now seems like a broken pencil, and i did only get it for the OB, which was silly of me, as the amount of OB was never started,

i am just making a point along the lines of what we were promised.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Folks,

as Deebs has stated, we are fully in favour of having an open discussion about any issues people face.

What we are not going to allow is negative moaning about things which haven't even happened!

'GOA's gonna fuck up the account page'

'The servers will all crash with the load and they won't have support available'

'The yanks get extra cookies'

f GOA fail to deliver then of course it will be discussed, but moaning about it even before the go-live is just pure conjecture and downright whinging.

Oh... and one more thing.... their website uses flash. I don't remember reading any announcements that said 'we will not use flash'. Get over it.

jonrossi

Fledgling Freddie
DEEBS you must always look at the glass half full, fair play to ya.

i need to take a better look at GOA, and from now on i will only judge them on what they have promised.

ok, so as it stands, as long as i get to play OB on Sunday the 7th Sept 2008, (even if it is only for 1 min), they have deliverd i guess.

gl luck to you all.

(even you Heta, may your deaths on the battlefield's of WAR be slow and painfull)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
DEEBS you must always look at the glass half full, fair play to ya.

i need to take a better look at GOA, and from now on i will only judge them on what they have promised.

ok, so as it stands, as long as i get to play OB on Sunday the 7th Sept 2008, (even if it is only for 1 min), they have deliverd i guess.

gl luck to you all.

(even you Heta, may your deaths on the battlefield's of WAR be slow and painfull)

That's more like it... good luck, and I hope GOA suprise you in a pleasant way ;)

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
:(

even Jupitus wants me do die a slow and painfull death in the battlefield's!

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
:(

even Jupitus wants me do die a slow and painfull death in the battlefield's!

:fluffle: Don't worry, that's what the game will amount to for me too ;)

Ogen

One of Freddy's beloved
bear in mind that as they have relocated to Dublin they are not bound by the restrictive French working laws.

Woah, thats good news to me! I remeber the greif and agony that damn french backbone over there gave me, with its sucky sucky 5 dollar response times :D

Looking forward to see some decent ping times then.
That was my biggest issue with GOA back in DAOC tbh.

As for the OP, i kinda agree with you - feels like the law and order keepers in here has been on coffein pills the last days, locking down threads all over :)

Tbh, regarding the patch notes.. They released it - so they should stick with it. The web is not a freaking poster you can just pull something back down from :) once its there, it sticks like superglue, so might aswell discuss it.

Just my opinion.. Hope im allowed to keep it. :m00:

Javai

Fledgling Freddie

(Some of) The staff have relocated to Dublin but the servers are still physically located in Lille, so they aren't bound by French law and can do restarts etc remotely but unless I completely misunderstand how pings work it won't make a difference there - unless the problem was specific to Paris?

Belgerath

One of Freddy's beloved
Lets hope that GOA have a rock steady contract with Eircom, cause if its with any other provider in Dublin problems with pings and ld's are gonna take a long time to get fixed.

(speaking from experience of both working for and with Eircom)

EDIT: nerf not knowing where the servers are :D

Heta

Fledgling Freddie

afaik, the game servers are still located in the same place as daoc servers were, just the support will be in Dublin so you get the 24/7 support, the ping will not be any different

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I believe that they have invested quite a bit of cash into the datacentre so as long as the following are true the experience should be good:

• They have peered with as many ISP's as possible. Many EU countries run something similiar to LINX where all the ISPs meet up to share traffic.
  • They have a couple of TIER 1 providers on board.
  • They have segmented the network to keep broadcast traffic/storms to a minimum.
  • They have invested in some serious network switching fabrics, possibly Foundry, Juniper or Cisco. Same for the edge routers they will need to handle vast amounts of packets. It will be the speed at which packets are switched/routed which will influence the game, not the bandwidth.
  • The firewalls being used are up to the job.
  • The backend SQL servers are properly specced and maintained. Regular maintenance is a must, especially for index defragging etc.
Those are only a few things that their network/dba ops will be looking at.

Malcolm

Can't get enough of FH
and they've told their cleaner not to unplug anything so she can use her dyson? ;)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
and they've told their cleaner not to unplug anything so she can use her dyson? ;)

I work for a financial information vendor, transmitting stock and futures prices over a proprietary network to customers using the prices for trading.

In a previous job in this industry I was product manager for a charting application, and we had a user who consistently reported spikes (bad prices) in their data from us.... support couldn't understand why, so a colleague and I went to their site.

When we got there we inspected their feed unit, software and hardware and could find no reason for the problems, but as we stood by their equipment rack we heard an almighty shuddering... just around the corner, plugged into the same power socket, was an enourmous fridge. Turned out that every time the thermostat on the fridge clicked over and it shuddered into life the guys data was getting corrupted massively :D

(Actually, the problem went away after we explained, but a few months later support contacted us saying they were getting data spikes... we just told support to advise them to unplug their fridge again... numpties :D)

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Folks,

as Deebs has stated, we are fully in favour of having an open discussion about any issues people face.

What we are not going to allow is negative moaning about things which haven't even happened!

'GOA's gonna fuck up the account page'

'The servers will all crash with the load and they won't have support available'

'The yanks get extra cookies'

f GOA fail to deliver then of course it will be discussed, but moaning about it even before the go-live is just pure conjecture and downright whinging.

Oh... and one more thing.... their website uses flash. I don't remember reading any announcements that said 'we will not use flash'. Get over it.

Just a little point, the Yanks did get more cookies :ninja:
And for god's sake if they really invested £9 Millions for the new DataCenter, it may well be smart structured lol

Reiken

Fledgling Freddie
So people have alot of anxiety towards GOA and rant about, slandering them..
Does this come as a surprise really considering the history we are looking at here?
Check out any major MMORPG and see how well the european side did?

Mostly the money for servers flowed towards the US where the majority of the customers are. Now.. WAR will be different with the respect that GOA has already built a very impressive datacenter that CAN, technically, handle even surprising amounts of simultaneous connections. I salute them for being prepared.

And the website.. please. So the website is build kind of badly at the moment, but do people honestly think this is a priority for GOA? They are still in the middle of getting their account management up and basically have to get their game servers into release condition before Open Beta starts ... which is like this Sunday!! I expect they might redo the webpages for release or soon after, but its really not worth bitching about it at this time.

Preview weekend.. considering that a limited amount of people get to attend these things in the first place, what makes people so sure they would get in? The current PW in the US doesn't allow the characters played there to be ported over to the Head Start, nor does the Open Beta. So when people say "but they get to start four days in advance" I really can't see their point in this? They get to TEST the game four days more.. yay? All your accomplishments will be lost anyway, what's your rush?

Road to war will be implemented in due time.

Every single forum I look to there are a bunch of people being offensive towards GOA, first because of the French labour laws.. now they couldn't have done anything about that now could they? And now all this. My take is: YES, There will BE problems on the european side. There ALWAYS is. Live with it. :p

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
YES, There will BE problems on any side.

fixed. however, a positive and forward thinking attitude will help in mitigating or resolving them, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom