SPAM random annoying things

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Not entirely correct though is it? Firefighters won't run into a collapsing building for example There is always a risk assessment prior to action. Yes, they will run into a building on fire if deemed safe to do with the equipment they have.

Firefighters were in the building after the Manchester Arena attack; Paramedics weren't. "Firefighter paramedics" would have solved the problem.

I'm sorry but there are always going to be situations where a scene might not be "safe" but you need someone with medical training in there, if only to perform triage on who can be moved/treated and who can't.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Firefighters were in the building after the Manchester Arena attack; Paramedics weren't. "Firefighter paramedics" would have solved the problem.

I'm sorry but there are always going to be situations where a scene might not be "safe" but you need someone with medical training in there, if only to perform triage on who can be moved/treated and who can't.

I'm fairly sure the Police already do that role to a degree.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

Not sure transforming paramedics and firefighters to some diluted hybrid profession is the way to do though. There's a reason the two professions are separate.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Not sure transforming paramedics and firefighters to some diluted hybrid profession is the way to do though. There's a reason the two professions are separate.

Isn't that what it is in the US?

Ormorof

FH is my second home

It already exists, as DaGaffer said its a common model in Ireland, its the "rescue" part in Fire & Rescue ;)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Running a 500GB backup and it failing at 99%

🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
<- Not a BA.
<- Has never been a BA.
<- Understand user journeys
<- Is now somehow classified as a BA by BAs who don't know how these work.
<- Is still not a BA.

If you want a business user to confirm something, walk through a user journey and then make the actual BA write it down and have the PO/business user sign off that process.

2 weeks on a new project.
We're given a design by the business.
We build it.
Meeting.
PO says "That's not the design I agreed on?"
BA doesn't know what to do.
I walk through what they want to see, how they want to see it and what happens when they go to the tool.
BA sounds astounded.

ARGHTRJT M@:pOOJKRT mopktfg' peon4tik=4t0-5 3o#gfd

Fuck technology.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I currently have the joy of dealing with BT Corporate in the process of setting up a VPN for a customer. Oh....my....god - they're even worse than Openreach.

"Why wasn't this work scheduled?" - Because you didn't tell us you were starting?
"Why has there been no communication around this?" - Because you've been off sick for the last week whilst we tried to clarify stuff and not answering emails.
"This needs to be done today as I'm off next week" - Again? And still no backup engineer to help us?

It's taking all my strength not to reply to his emails with the phrase "Mate, you're just proving why I went with Sky rather than you incompetent buffoons".

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Plex removing photo uploads

Plex service being disrupted right now

Meh... just Plex in general

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Fragmentation of streaming services, theres so many exclusives now, but most of the "newer" streaming players have practically no content outside of their own stuff if you are not in US (maybe UK has it better?)

For example Amazon Prime costs the same here in Finland as it does in UK but theres only 10 shows available, and a couple of movies. All the other stuff Amazon has is licensed out to other llayers here. Apple TV is even worse (i got a free year not paying for this garbage) they have 4 shows available in Finland... €8 per month

Practical reality is if its not on the service (or in my case services, Disney+ and Netflix :( ) then it might as well not exist

DaGaffer

Fragmentation of streaming services, theres so many exclusives now, but most of the "newer" streaming players have practically no content outside of their own stuff if you are not in US (maybe UK has it better?)

For example Amazon Prime costs the same here in Finland as it does in UK but theres only 10 shows available, and a couple of movies. All the other stuff Amazon has is licensed out to other llayers here. Apple TV is even worse (i got a free year not paying for this garbage) they have 4 shows available in Finland... €8 per month

Practical reality is if its not on the service (or in my case services, Disney+ and Netflix :( ) then it might as well not exist

Prime was rubbish in Ireland for ages, but I had it because I did enough online orders to make it worthwhiile for that. Now I don't order online anymore because of Brexit, but the content has got a lot better, and its convenient to access on my Sky Q box, so its a bit of a dilemma. Disney+ isn't worth it because much as I like the MCU its not really worth it for just that and my kids barely watch it, so as soon as Falcon & The Winter Soldier is over I'm dumping it. Personally I'd dump Netflix as well but my missus watches it a lot. Don't even think about Apple as most of its stuff ends up on Sky anyway (as does HBO content).

In the US they're starting to aggregate services now (like you can get HBOMax as an upgrade to your Hulu account, which is surprising as one is Disney and the other Warners), and I think you'll see more of that in Europe. Not all of these can survive standalone.

Ironically the one streaming service I do want is BBC iPlayer, but they won't sell it abroad and they ruthlessly IP block it (VPNs are sniffed out within days in my experience). Can get All4 in Ireland no problem. Go figure.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yarr @DaGaffer.

It's simple, easy and you end up watching less stuff but choosing better quality IMO.

DaGaffer

Yarr @DaGaffer.

It's simple, easy and you end up watching less stuff but choosing better quality IMO.

Four people in a family who all watch very different things. I'm not interested in becoming their show-finder-in-chief.

The High Seas are useful now and again, but streaming is what we wanted isn't it? Paying the content provider and no ads? Or was that just bullshit?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
streaming is what we wanted isn't it? Paying the content provider and no ads? Or was that just bullshit?
Muliple different cobtent providers for full subs for one or two shows?

Nah. It's still not easy.

I subscribe to spotify because they've the majority of content (I bash up against it now and again, but rarely). Music is sorted, so I pay.

TV? The fragmentation alone is a pita. Add in the multi-subscribe expense? Nah. Not worth it (for me).

Few shows, pirate. Forget rest.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Four people in a family who all watch very different things. I'm not interested in becoming their show-finder-in-chief.

The High Seas are useful now and again, but streaming is what we wanted isn't it? Paying the content provider and no ads? Or was that just bullshit?
Streaming is on the cusp of becoming the villain in the whole "Die A Hero, Or You Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become The Villain" batman meme.

Whole seasons at once are on the way out, on demand is now pick a show and it starts with an advert for something else (Prime / iPlayer I'm looking at you), everything in one place is totally done (now the content producers have worked out that anyone can make a streaming service but the up and coming entrants don't hold vast libraries) and costs are starting to crank up.

Also annoyingly what I'd hoped would be the next step for streaming reasonably current films at home clearly isn't going to happen, so yeah, I'll keep my Netflix subscription because the wife uses it but it's not compelling in the way it used to be when it was on demand and cheaper than Sky/Cable

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Streaming is on the cusp of becoming the villain in the whole "Die A Hero, Or You Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become The Villain" batman meme.

Whole seasons at once are on the way out, on demand is now pick a show and it starts with an advert for something else (Prime / iPlayer I'm looking at you), everything in one place is totally done (now the content producers have worked out that anyone can make a streaming service but the up and coming entrants don't hold vast libraries) and costs are starting to crank up.

Also annoyingly what I'd hoped would be the next step for streaming reasonably current films at home clearly isn't going to happen, so yeah, I'll keep my Netflix subscription because the wife uses it but it's not compelling in the way it used to be when it was on demand and cheaper than Sky/Cable

Oh man yeah i guess there's more hype when drip feeding us shows but christ i hate that. Has to be a really good show to keep me invested if i cant watch several episodes at once

dysfunction

FH is my second home

I complained to Amazon about the adverts saying I have paid for this and then subjected to adverts for something else.

They pretty much said stfu

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
We binned Netflix, will pick it up again in 6 months or so for a couple of months.

The only one we will have all year is Prime now, for the deliveries.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
We binned Netflix, will pick it up again in 6 months or so for a couple of months.

The only one we will have all year is Prime now, for the deliveries.

I'll keep Netflix, partly habit, and my daughter uses it a lot (she's at uni now, so if they ever do clamp down on this sharing it'll go). I've got Prime for deliveries so that'll stay too. Had Disney+ for a month over Christmas and will do that again when there's enough to watch. I watched the Mandalorian and a couple of films etc, but not enough to keep, might get it for Wanda Vision and any new Star Wars stuff at some point.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I've no subscription service personally, the household has an Amazon Prime account and I use my sisters Netflix sometimes although she is moving off Netflix to Disney. I prefer to buy Blu-rays of anything I really want and convert it to play on devices via my NAS.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
TV? The fragmentation alone is a pita. Add in the multi-subscribe expense?

Remember when one of the main benefits of streaming was that it made finding shows and films so easy and convenient because it was all in one place that it actually reduced piracy. Seems like we're now back in the bad ol'days again.

DaGaffer

Remember when one of the main benefits of streaming was that it made finding shows and films so easy and convenient because it was all in one place that it actually reduced piracy. Seems like we're now back in the bad ol'days again.

To be fair, Sky Q lets you search across Its own channels and Prime, Netflix, Disney+ and Discovery+. Now, you have to pay for all those subs, but finding stuff isn't the problem.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I don't think it will be long until Amazon do tiered prime membership. They are already paywalling some stuff behind things like Starz and Shudder. Mostly crap atm but it wouldn't surprise me if things like the walking dead go to one of them.

Now that everyone and their dog has prime the benefits of rapid delivery start to cost Amazon more. They will be doing more same day delivery soon and that will cost even more in back-end costs.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I don't think it will be long until Amazon do tiered prime membership. They are already paywalling some stuff behind things like Starz and Shudder. Mostly crap atm but it wouldn't surprise me if things like the walking dead go to one of them.

Now that everyone and their dog has prime the benefits of rapid delivery start to cost Amazon more. They will be doing more same day delivery soon and that will cost even more in back-end costs.
Doubt it. The premium stuff is all content from other providers, like ITV. If they were going to tier then the premier league games they have would be the one to pull people in.

Ormorof

FH is my second home

Prime delivery not really a big deal outside of UK and US yet, here up beyond the wall average delivery time for something from Amazon is about 2 weeks

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
2 weeks, ouch.

I just ordered some putty stuff to make giving my cat his pills easier, a Bosch router and some cable hooks. All will turn up tomorrow.

DaGaffer

2 weeks, ouch.

I just ordered some putty stuff to make giving my cat his pills easier, a Bosch router and some cable hooks. All will turn up tomorrow.

Yup, thanks to Brexit Amazon.co.uk is now dead to me and Amazon.de is a week to 10 days to Ireland. On the plus side its stimulated some improvements in the local ecommerce offerings.

Apparently Amazon are going to build an Irish ecommerce operation soon (AWS has a huge operation here).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom