SPAM random annoying things

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
How bad an oil leak are we talking? Is it a "top up every so often" style leak or a "what's that shit all over my drive" style leak? And what car is it on?

As you know I'm partial to an old German car, and whilst they do tend to be pretty reliable they do also like a bit of oil - my current one needs an extra litre every 4,000 miles or so, which is the oil leak equivalent of 3.1 Roentgens. Not great, not terrible. I just keep an eye on levels and top up when needed.

However if it was all over my drive I'd be speaking to me mate to come pick it up and fix.

It's not major, I hadn't driven it for what 3 months and I took it to the garage because I had a brakes warning light which was all fixed and they knew about the leak and they said it's probably from the cold and doing nothing but it continued.

Gonna take it in the garage tomorrow for a quick look.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
No the worst are those that do pick it up only to throw it and the bag in to a bush or tree.
Not really. Most bags are biodegradable so if you chuck it in a bush it will be gone before long. Trees is a bit weird.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Not really. Most bags are biodegradable so if you chuck it in a bush it will be gone before long. Trees is a bit weird.

The ones I see most are black and they in no way look like biodegradable versions and even then quite a few biodegradable bags aren't environmentally friendly any way.

Again it is still fucking pathetic not to use a bin once you've made the effort to bend over to pick it up.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Project:

Us: We need a theme for this tool we're building, can you sort this out?
Them: Sure, give us two weeks.
Them: Here's a free theme you can use which does nothing you asked for!
Us: A paid one is fine as long as it meets the needs of the project. Sorry if this wasn't clear.
Them: Cool. Give us two weeks.
Them: Here's a collection of 150, is this good?
Us: Uhm... No. We want one. You need to suggest one. We don't need 150, enterprise integration, lifetime support. If you're going to give us 150 please at least suggest a few with components
Them: Okay. Give us two weeks.

I know pro-bono development is nice but jesus christ.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yeah, the changes have taken effect and it's just shit now. I was looking at Bitwarden before but landed on KeePassXC - it does everything I need it to (Yubikey as 2FA login, browser extensions, mobile apps) and it's open source. It relies on a locally saved database (which I actually prefer compared to relying on some company's servers/security) but there are various cloud-y ways of sharing it between devices.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Just like smoking lobby, just like climate change lobby, we need to move away from 'soft' regulation to a model where companies and corporations (and their staff) are mandated to be truthful about potential harms related to their activities - on pain of shutdown/seizure and prison.

Gwadien

This, again.

Why are they trying to paint paramedics as the bad guys?

If there's someone with a knife around a casualty then the ambulance service will wait until it's cleared by the police, why the fuck would they rush into a literal bombsite?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

This, again.

Why are they trying to paint paramedics as the bad guys?

If there's someone with a knife around a casualty then the ambulance service will wait until it's cleared by the police, why the fuck would they rush into a literal bombsite?
Because that's their job?

They're there to treat casualties - they're the emergency services - and that comes with personal risk.

Frankly, it should be written into their contract:

"Are you willing to attend disasters, potentially dangerous, as fast as is humanly possible, in an effort to save lives?"

"No"

"Then off you fuck. This job isn't for you"

Edit: BTW, not read the article ;)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
@Job, I'll let you take this one.
It wasnt a racist comment it was mentioned in the article that some of the asian countries have had less access to contraception etc over the pandemic so are expecting a rise in birth rates.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Because that's their job?

They're there to treat casualties - they're the emergency services - and that comes with personal risk.

Frankly, it should be written into their contract:

"Are you willing to attend disasters, potentially dangerous, as fast as is humanly possible, in an effort to save lives?"

"No"

"Then off you fuck. This job isn't for you"

Edit: BTW, not read the article ;)
You need to make sure that theres going to be no more casualties within reason before sending other people into harms way.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You need to make sure that theres going to be no more casualties within reason before sending other people into harms way.
You can't be sure in that situation. And they had hundreds of people with injuries.

And three paramedics.

If we're going to have emergency services they have to respond to emergencies. Even if they're dangerous. Or they're just "as long as things are safe" services - and fuck anyone who gets caught up in horrible incidents - you're on your own, bitches.

Gwadien

You can't be sure in that situation. And they had hundreds of people with injuries.

And three paramedics.

If we're going to have emergency services they have to respond to emergencies. Even if they're dangerous. Or they're just "as long as things are safe" services - and fuck anyone who gets caught up in horrible incidents - you're on your own, bitches.

I'm talking about the current practice - I was talking about this with a paramedic and he was saying that yeah, it's standard practice not to put yourself in harms way, so criticising the highest ranking person at the scene is a bit harsh, as he was just following the normal procedure.

I'm sure it'll change and they will be told to go in, but then there will be a second bomb incident where lots of paramedics get caught in it and then it'll change back again.

But I do also expect the vast majority of paramedics (and all emergency services for that matter) to hesitate when it comes to a terrorist attack because as much as they train for it they're not really that common, we don't live in a country where they should be used to it, which is... good?

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
it is not the army, they are not trained to ignore danger and run in for Queen and Country. It's standard procedure in any emergency service to not put yourself or other people in harm's way. This witch hunt for those that were there just trying to do their job is appalling. H&S is at the center of everything these days to mitigate risk. Make it safe then go in. Don't think there is anything wrong with that personally. It is a terrible shame that more people may die but they still should not change their procedures.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
it is not the army, they are not trained to ignore danger and run in for Queen and Country. It's standard procedure in any emergency service to not put yourself or other people in harm's way. This witch hunt for those that were there just trying to do their job is appalling. H&S is at the center of everything these days to mitigate risk. Make it safe then go in. Don't think there is anything wrong with that personally. It is a terrible shame that more people may die but they still should not change their procedures.

Firefighters, by definition, have to enter a scene before it is "made safe", so why aren't (at least some) Paramedics trained to go in with them? Frankly I'm amazed if this isn't the case. H&S is all well and good but if it creates policies that mean you can't optimally do the job you're supposed to be doing, then you need to fix the policy or find alternative methods.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Paramedics aren't combat trained and largely not set up to deal with bomb/combat like injuries. They should train ex-soldiers to be paramedics, despite what people think, some soldiers aren't daft and often trained to deal with the aftermath of a civilian incident involving explosives/and or gunshots.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Paramedics aren't combat trained and largely not set up to deal with bomb/combat like injuries. They should train ex-soldiers to be paramedics, despite what people think, some soldiers aren't daft and often trained to deal with the aftermath of a civilian incident involving explosives/and or gunshots.

Would also give a career path for Army medics who don't see themselves in the NHS. Use all that experience of helping people in war zones to help when the war zone comes to the UK.

Not sure we should be sending "standard" paramedics into situations like that in all honesty - during usual duties, such as car accidents, hosue fires etc there are other teams there to make things safe before they engage, it doesn't seem to outside the wit of man - even UK Public Servants - to build some paramedic capacity into bomb squads made up of ex squaddies.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Doing a bit of googling, "Firefighter Paramedic" is a thing. We have them here in Ireland, and they have them in the US, but strangely not in the UK...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Firefighters, by definition, have to enter a scene before it is "made safe", so why aren't (at least some) Paramedics trained to go in with them? Frankly I'm amazed if this isn't the case. H&S is all well and good but if it creates policies that mean you can't optimally do the job you're supposed to be doing, then you need to fix the policy or find alternative methods.
This.

If we can't respond to emergencies properly then what's actually the case is that Britain doesn't have an emergency service.

Stay classy Blighty, you "world-beater".

Gwadien

This.

If we can't respond to emergencies properly then what's actually the case is that Britain doesn't have an emergency service.

Stay classy Blighty, you "world-beater".

I think you'll find that most first world countries face the same problem.

As I said before, you can train all you want, but only a small minority of people will rise to such a challenge.

Either way, that wasn't what the conversation was about - the conversation was about a man who followed the procedure being criticised for following the procedure.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Not entirely correct though is it? Firefighters won't run into a collapsing building for example There is always a risk assessment prior to action. Yes, they will run into a building on fire if deemed safe to do with the equipment they have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom