SPAM random annoying things

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
If I weren't at home and it was not my own desk that I would have to sort out afterwards, I think I'm genuinely at that point.

Excel is literally the only tool I've got at my disposal for this piece of work I'm doing and it's performance is utter pish.

We're only allowed 32 bit though because some plugin for finance only works on 32 bit so we all get to enjoy the lowest common denominator

:mad:

The amount of times my work writing ETL processes has been doubled because some clowns still use xls instead of xlsx. Infuriating.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
The amount of times my work writing ETL processes has been doubled because some clowns still use xls instead of xlsx. Infuriating.

Sore subject with me right now. We have a major 'transformation project' starting soon which will involve a re-write of at least 100 ETL processes and new sets of tooling to support requirements across the whole business. I wish XSL/XLSX were the only issues we were facing. I had a really long reply but it got me so annoyed I'm leaving it there.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Could be worse. You could have to beg borrow or steal a copy of Excel to get round IT's insistence you do everything in Google Sheets.

And don't get me started on Google Slides. After 10 years of using PowerPoint, it is painfully limited.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Don't get me started on ETL. In my current role, I've basically spent a couple of years now telling people if you want to shift stuff between places stop creating things where you take off the unique identifiers!!! :mad:
Sore subject with me right now. We have a major 'transformation project' starting soon which will involve a re-write of at least 100 ETL processes and new sets of tooling to support requirements across the whole business. I wish XSL/XLSX were the only issues we were facing. I had a really long reply but it got me so annoyed I'm leaving it there.
We're in the middle of one right now. I'm currently the bad guy because it's my fault we're now keeping one of our existing systems. Apparently it was unpopular to point out that nobody had bothered to check if one of the new system could process payments to suppliers to meet our finance departments requirements and that seemed business critical to me. It was even less popular when the new system supplier pulled the old "not yet but it's coming in a future release" reply out of the bag as their response.
Could be worse. You could have to beg borrow or steal a copy of Excel to get round IT's insistence you do everything in Google Sheets.

And don't get me started on Google Slides. After 10 years of using PowerPoint, it is painfully limited.
Thankfully we're a Microsoft shop, so that's about the only bullet we've dodged.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Do we all work for the same place? We're a Microsoft house too - Pretend each department acts like they're their own business. It got to the point where Tech wasn't involved with some decisions (pre-dates most of the tech SLT/ELT) and we've now discovered some... Minor flaws... With how things work. The "old blood" don't want to change process because it works.

Yes. It takes 2 hours to process this 1 thing with your current process. (n things a day by n people)
Make these changes (2-3 months of tech work) and it'll drop down to 15 minutes, if you move from X and do Y it'll also allow us to fix the rest of this crap too.

"Not enough time or resource" - Well, you've got our recommendations, go find a vendor and expect a £500,000 cost to do it. Or find the time/resource to do it internally.

Bodhi

Those two: We don't want the media intruding on our lives, we don't want to be front page news any more.

Also those two: Quick, look everyone, we just painted our spare room!

I'm sick of hearing about them.

I've been quite bemused by all this. From what I can see, two millionaires who live in a gated community in Santa Barbara are doing an interview with one of the most famous TV personalities in the world, discussing how oppressed they are.

Seems a bit tone-deaf considering how many people have lost their jobs thanks to the Government response to the pandemic, but hey ho. We are where we are.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I've been quite bemused by all this. From what I can see, two millionaires who live in a gated community in Santa Barbara are doing an interview with one of the most famous TV personalities in the world, discussing how oppressed they are.

Seems a bit tone-deaf considering how many people have lost their jobs thanks to the Government response to the pandemic, but hey ho. We are where we are.
I think it's two millionaires have decided they don't want to abide living under the rules of the UK royal family so have decided to leave.

Realising their irrelevance and lack of skills they have decided their most lucrative income stream is dishing dirt on the people they fell out with - on prime time TV.

Both sets of people are cunts, to one degree or another.

What's most starkly obvious is that Harry is now just a ginger irrelevance. He's married a girl and his life now is just what she wants to do.

Bodhi

Actually thinking about it, Oprah lives in Montecito which is highly likely to be the same gated community Harry and Megs have moved to.

So basically, millionaire lady complains to her neighbour about the in laws, whilst wearing a $4000 dress (apparently).

Anyone else struggling to open the case for their violin?

Bodhi

I think it's two millionaires have decided they don't want to abide living under the rules of the UK royal family so have decided to leave.

Realising their irrelevance and lack of skills they have decided their most lucrative income stream is dishing dirt on the people they fell out with - on prime time TV.

What's most starkly obvious is that Harry is now just a ginger irrelevance. He's married a girl and his life now is just what she wants to do.

I keep expecting Harry to start blinking randomly in these interviews tbh.

The Royal Family is a bit of a weird one for me. If we were to start the country from scratch it's not something we'd ever consider implementing for all the reasons you mention, but like it or not their are a "Great British Institution" and bring joy to a lot of people, both here and abroad. A lot of people hate them granted, but due to their history and profile on balance I would say they are a positive for us as a Head of State and a tourist attraction.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of them are massive cunts, but I have a strange respect for the Queen, given she's in her 90's, still working and is trying to hold the whole shitshow together. Princess Anne always seemed remarkably normal, and I heard numerous reports at Uni that William was actually a really nice chap, and was prone to being found in Ma Bells on The Scores more drunk than you would expect. Charles and Andrew can GTFO however.

Not sure how much I get Megan's persecution complex from how she's being treated by the media either - she isn't the first Royal spouse to get the treatment (Fergie, Diana - even going as far back as that Divorcee Edward VIII abdicated for). It's just the nature of the beast sadly, and it seems a bit weird to bleat about it now when she knew what she was getting herself in for.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I couldn't possibly hold that view of the royals given expose after expose on the evidential basis that their existence is counterproductive to the UK.

Keep the buildings, keep the history - it's ours anyway - ditch the people. We don't need them and they're harmful to our democracy.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

I used to cut William and Harry a certain amount of slack. Despite being a republican (small 'r') by inclination, I saw them once only a few months after their mother's death (in a pizza restaurant in Kensington where I was having a Christmas work lunch) and these two little boys with their nanny and security detail just looked...lost. It always stuck with me despite my distaste for royalty as a concept, So I just gave them the benefit of the doubt, but fuck me, there are limits and this horseshit is well past mine.

Sticking the boot in while your granddad is dying in hospital so you can get a few quid off gullible Americans is low. He's either self-serving scum or so pussy-whipped his wife keeps his balls in her make up bag. Either way, my sympathy for the man has left the building.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Sticking the boot in while your granddad is dying in hospital so you can get a few quid off gullible Americans is low. He's either self-serving scum or so pussy-whipped his wife keeps his balls in her make up bag. Either way, my sympathy for the man has left the building.
This. And balls in the bag is clearly the thing.

It's funny though - as little as she's had to do she's had to work for a living at one point. That* must be intoxicating to a young ginger man who's done sweet FA his entire life.

Tooling around in military choppers whilst never actually really being allowed on the front line is a jolly.

*and presumably the ability to suck a golf ball down a hosepipe

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
For something you all don't give a shit about, you sure are talking about it lots.

Embattle

FH is my second home
No doubt we've got days more of the endless media coverage over this crap, so might as well comment on it from the odd bits I've heard or read.

Excluding the possible racist comment by an unknown royal, I would just say no shit sherlock to most of what I've read or seen because it is the modern Royal family where you can't just do or say anything you want since it isn't an absolute monarchy nor is it a fairy tale.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
For something you all don't give a shit about, you sure are talking about it lots.
Front page of every fucking news outlet. On the radio. You can't avoid it.

Saying the royals are wankers and this is all shit is a reasonable response.

I don't give a shit about the content of these stories - I very much give a shit that they're a thing when they shouldn't be.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
i dont understand why people seem to be taking sides, why can't we just agree that they're all cunts and be done with it?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Remember when we did this before you and you denied that the Government had any responsibility over it? :D

Send your prayers & likes though.
They didnt and still dont, doesn't mean that its crap that she has been in jail for 5 years for nothing.

Gwadien

They didnt and still dont, doesn't mean that its crap that she has been in jail for 5 years for nothing.

So you don't want our Government to do anything about it, but it's still awful, right.

Gwadien

My car has an oil leak.

Does anyone have any experience with using sealant stuff before?

Thought I'd ask here before I ring up the garage and get laughed at by manly men.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Take to garage. Get laughed at. Car gets fixed. Rinse-repeat.

Over time you'll not care that you get laughed at. Caring about that is a feature of youth :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
My wife keeps trying to talk to me about Meghan and Harry and I would rather talk about dog shits.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
My car has an oil leak.

Does anyone have any experience with using sealant stuff before?

Thought I'd ask here before I ring up the garage and get laughed at by manly men.

Do not put that stuff anywhere near an engine. All it's good for is hiding stuff and getting a car through a quick sale. Scrimping on car repairs just ends up costing more down the line.

Also, an oil leak might be nothing, get it checked out, so you know where you stand.

...and get in with a decent local garage.

Gwadien

Do not put that stuff anywhere near an engine. All it's good for is hiding stuff and getting a car through a quick sale. Scrimping on car repairs just ends up costing more down the line.

Also, an oil leak might be nothing, get it checked out, so you know where you stand.

...and get in with a decent local garage.

I have a family friend ran garage so finding a garage isn't really a problem, it's just that they've been super busy and the last time I took my car in they had it for a week and I can't really afford that until the half term (2 weeks).

I spent £200 on my car the other week, I'm gonna be pissed if I have to splash that again because then I'm just paying more than the car is worth.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I spent £200 on my car the other week, I'm gonna be pissed if I have to splash that again because then I'm just paying more than the car is worth.
One piece of advice (from Damon Hill no less) that's worth it:

Always buy the most expensive car you can afford and maintain it. It'll save you in the long run.

I buy 3 year old cars. That dodges most of the depreciation loss and they're still barely broken in.

I've had 4 since I was 17. The were reliable. I hate spending money on cars.

Bodhi

How bad an oil leak are we talking? Is it a "top up every so often" style leak or a "what's that shit all over my drive" style leak? And what car is it on?

As you know I'm partial to an old German car, and whilst they do tend to be pretty reliable they do also like a bit of oil - my current one needs an extra litre every 4,000 miles or so, which is the oil leak equivalent of 3.1 Roentgens. Not great, not terrible. I just keep an eye on levels and top up when needed.

However if it was all over my drive I'd be speaking to me mate to come pick it up and fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom