SPAM random annoying things

Embattle

FH is my second home
Party political broadcasts are bad enough during elections let alone having them out elections.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
That's why I said greenwashing.

It's an oil company and a lie. It's an announcement to give them a desparately needed veneer of environmental respectability. A tactic these companies have been using since the 70's. Hence the invention of the term in the 80's.

The very nature of their business is oil. They may invest in green technologies but they need to *stop* their oil business - which they have zero intention of doing. (Or how would they even greenwash invest?)

Business School 101; "What business are we in?" is one of the first lessons in Corporate Strategy class and then the example is the comparison between the American railroad industry (who all said "railroads" not "transportation" and promptly lost their shirts) and the telegraph companies who ran alongside the same tracks and said, respectively "communications" (and became AT&T) and "money movement" (and became Western Union). If BP or any of the others insist they are in the oil business they are ultimately doomed no matter what, so while this is certainly "greenwashing" (but what else would a new CEO answerable to shareholders say?) it doesn't necessarily mean its untrue.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Absolutely they're saying "energy" now, but absolutely it's greenwashing.

"Net carbon neutral" by 2050 - obviously, they're not including other companies burning their main product, which will still be their main product by 2050. But if they can crack the other energy game at the same time then fair enough.

We ain't fixing the problem. And I'm not just talking CO2 - I'm talking about our ongoing ecological disaster.

There's no public appetite and zero real leadership, so we haven't a hope.

Fermi's paradox :(

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin

"Net carbon neutral" by 2050 - obviously, they're not including other companies burning their main product, which will still be their main product by 2050. But if they can crack the other energy game at the same time then fair enough.

We ain't fixing the problem. And I'm not just talking CO2 - I'm talking about our ongoing ecological disaster.

It's a step in the right direction.

I expect minimal investment in R&D that'll bear fruits in 100 years time when they find something that's very cheap and very profitable to replace fossil fuels.

It's shit, sure, but it's the only possible solution under capitalism.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

We have to totally rethink the economy and its measurement of success to get out of this mess. We cant measure growth as the success factor. It should be societal contribution or advancement of life or some such hippy thing.

as long as business and the markets are all striving for growth and every man is trying to out consume the next nothing will change.

And the oil companies are of course only playing the green game to make share holders happy.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Offgems idea of removing all gas boilers and using storage heaters and electric car batteries to spread out solar and wind is the only sensible idea Ive heard in decades.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Nothing we do at this point will fix the ecosystem in an expeditious manner. Our damage done by exploiting the ocean through fishing and dumping chemicals. Farming forest and replanting is bullshit - nothing WE do will restore what was. Check maps of Europe and an alarming amount of areal mass is just farmland. Something like 1 % of the original forest is left in Sweden, the rest is planted. Planted forest doesn’t keep the biological diversity. And we talk about culling of certain species here like wolf and elk etc. We as current gen humans are fucked.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Nothing we do at this point will fix the ecosystem in an expeditious manner. Our damage done by exploiting the ocean through fishing and dumping chemicals. Farming forest and replanting is bullshit - nothing WE do will restore what was. Check maps of Europe and an alarming amount of areal mass is just farmland. Something like 1 % of the original forest is left in Sweden, the rest is planted. Planted forest doesn’t keep the biological diversity. And we talk about culling of certain species here like wolf and elk etc. We as current gen humans are fucked.
? Extinction Rebellion much ? ;)

Gwadien

Overhearing parents complaining how stressed they are cos their kids are 9f school for a week, then watching one of the kids run around being a little shit without any challenges, well tell a lie I guess yelling 'I'm fucking sick of you, you little fucking shit' could count.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Overhearing parents complaining how stressed they are cos their kids are 9f school for a week, then watching one of the kids run around being a little shit without any challenges, well tell a lie I guess yelling 'I'm fucking sick of you, you little fucking shit' could count.
Parenting is not what it once was. Used to be that if your kids were awful then it would bring shame on you. Now no ones bothered :(. Leads to teachers having harder times teaching and stopping kids disrupting the classes and all.

Gwadien

Getting into work when the power switches on after being cut all weekend and the network is down....

:) :) :) :)

I wonder if the school will use their limited call outs to the contractor company who deals with the IT stuff, probs not though, probs not enough of an emergency. I guess one of us teachers will have to have a crack switching it on, fun times.

Job

Goddam Midi cable car off yesterday ..high winds.

All on today and it breaks down just as we are about to board.
Back in the pub.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Bah camshaft position error on my car and 260 miles away from home.

have to call the garage tomorrow :(

Embattle

FH is my second home
Honey adverts on YouTube, firstly I don't buy in dollars and secondly I'm not about to spend any where near $3000 on trainers...especially not when I assume some influencer toss pot wants to convince to use a extension to my browser.

Job

Bah camshaft position error on my car and 260 miles away from home.

have to call the garage tomorrow :(
Camshaft position error.

2 things
Amazed its out
Amazed theres a sensor to detect it.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Camshaft position error.

2 things
Amazed its out
Amazed theres a sensor to detect it.
With vvt engines they adjust the cam shaft according to the speed of the car / revs etc. Its moved with oil pressure. There is a sensor on the engine that monitors this adjustment. It was saying it had remained too far forward and not gone back to its correct position or thats what i was told.

Turned out just to be the sensor that was at fault.

Job

Variable valve..I thought they just used electric valves..you learn a new thing everyday.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
We've had a package thief stealing stuff from our building over the last 3 months. Sometimes the boxes are just cut up, as if they've been inspected. Notices have gone up to not let people in unless they are expected, but with no working speaker or video to front door, it's kinda tricky. There's a buzzer that rings when someone presses our apartment button at the front door. We have a button to open the front door from inside our apartments.

Today I was expecting a fast food delivery, so when my front door buzzed, I pressed the open door button and waited. After a few minutes of no delivery person, I walked down the stairs to the front of my building, to find an exhausted lady with her huge bags. She had 2 large gym bags with her, was wearing hospital scrubs and had an ID around her neck... nothing unusual there, there's 20+ medical facilities in a 2 minute walking radius and half the buildings occupants work in the hospitals nearby. She said hello, explained she was out of breath, and would be going up the stairs in a minute (no elevator, 6 floors), but was pleasant enough, so I figured maybe she couldn't get to her keys or something. Where was my food tho? I went back up to my apartment, and two minutes later, my delivery guy arrives without me buzzing him in, maybe he went to wrong floor or something, or he had a delivery to make on the upper floors. Chicken burrito, wohoo!

But I hear the lady talking as I'm closing the door, and a "no sorry, can't help you" reply ... then I hear my next door neighbour get in (they let the front door slam), and I'm thinking, this is a bit off. I've lived here 2 years and we're all super happy living here not talking to our neighbours. Maybe 20 words in 2 years. So I go down again, and I see my building supervisor, and he says he caught that lady cutting up the packages that were left at the entrance, and that she was smoking inside. He's not sure if she grabbed anything.

Sigh. Package thieves are scum. Next time someone buzzes randomly, I'm going to go downstairs and see who they are in person.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Cactus Plants.
Got spiked yesterday in the knuckle of one of my fingers while gardening. Nothing left in there just a puncture. Finger has swollen up like a sausage, can't bend it, and it hurts like a motherfucker.
Won't be going to the medical centre though, just have to man up. :(

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If it doesn't start going down tomorrow then you'll have to man up and expose yourself.

At a medical centre that is :eek:

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
If it doesn't start going down tomorrow then you'll have to man up and expose yourself.

At a medical centre that is :eek:

I'd rather lose a finger than go there, and I'm sure they've got more important things to do.
I've taken some Anti-Histamine and Ibuprofen, we'll see how it goes. Research tells me that as long as non of the spike is still in there then it should be OK.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
With vvt engines they adjust the cam shaft according to the speed of the car / revs etc. Its moved with oil pressure. There is a sensor on the engine that monitors this adjustment. It was saying it had remained too far forward and not gone back to its correct position or thats what i was told.

Turned out just to be the sensor that was at fault.

Kind of related, but Koenigsegg (Sweden's real car manufacturer) have just announced their first "camless" engine, where all the valve lift is controlled electronically.

WARNING: Engine geekery contained within.

Tiny friendly giant engine - Koenigsegg

Highlights? 2 litres. 3 Cylinders. 600 brake horsepower. Oh, and 20% better fuel efficiency than a typical 2 litre engine (that doesn't produce 600bhp).

Can be made Net Zero, or even negative emissions if used with Biofuels.

Tesla who?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Maybe if biofuels weren't a mahoosive non-carbon neutral lie...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom