SPAM random annoying things

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Fuck you all :(
I had similar internet to yours in the south of France until last year. Not the upstream though, that upstream is appalling... sub dialup.

9317250666.png

It's basically not possible to get greater than 20 Mbps down and 0.8ish up (~100 Kbps) on ADSL outside the cities. Fibre is coming but has patchy coverage to say the least. Two villages across has it so it shouldn't be too long.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
I had similar internet to yours in the south of France until last year. Not the upstream though, that upstream is appalling... sub dialup.

9317250666.png

It's basically not possible to get greater than 20 Mbps down and 0.8ish up (~100 Kbps) on ADSL outside the cities. Fibre is coming but has patchy coverage to say the least. Two villages across has it so it shouldn't be too long.
I think up in the village there is some fibre. Can't ever see it getting to us as we are not in the village. They would have to lay a 1km pipe just for us, return on investment for them is shit.
Today will be a research day to see if there are any masts closer to us from other suppliers.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I used to live 8km from one town but it was in a different department and region so there was just no chance of going to it for services. The closest town in the same department was 12km away so until about 2008 it was dialup or nothing. Then they put what they called an NRA-HD (a standalone node, connected to the main exchange in the town by fibre) about halfway which was still a long way away but at least it meant broadband as it was inside the ~8km ADSL limit.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
I used to live 8km from one town but it was in a different department and region so there was just no chance of going to it for services. The closest town in the same department was 12km away so until about 2008 it was dialup or nothing. Then they put what they called an NRA-HD (a standalone node, connected to the main exchange in the town by fibre) about halfway which was still a long way away but at least it meant broadband as it was inside the ~8km ADSL limit.
So that was through your telephone landline? We haven't got a landline, nor will we get one.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
So that was through your telephone landline? We haven't got a landline, nor will we get one.
Yup they effectively created a new exchange 7km away and connected it to the main exchange by fibre. There were 3 or 4 villages that benefited from it though so it was worth them doing.

If you get mobile reception there you might look into something like this - it takes a sim card on a data-only contract and you connect to it wirelessly as if it was a normal broadband modem (some of them have an Ethernet port as well for a cabled connection). Or just use your phone as a mobile hotspot and connect to that (depending on your data allowance).

I get much better speeds via 4G than broadband...

5989188318.png

Last edited:

Hawkwind

FH is my second home

Proves yet again that France is a 3rd world country! ;)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
View attachment 41439

I'm paying for 200Mbps...:(

I think they're packet shaping because everyone's hammering the network with Zoom calls (we had three separate Zoom calls and a Roblox game going on here at the same time on Monday), have noticed the broadband getting increasingly flaky the last few days.

Four laptops, four tablets, three phones, five settop boxes, 1 SONOS and one NAS currently connected to the network; I don't think 10Mb is going to cut it...

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
We've got patchy mobile, outside I can get 4g, inside we next to nothing but phone calls, whatsapp work OK. The house walls are half a metre thick. I've spoken to them this morning, asking if they know if there are any suppliers using this, which is less than a kilometre away from the house..

IMG_20200422_123217.jpg

The guy didn't know but is going to ask the engineers and get back to me, I'll not be holding my breath.
In normal times I could take the dog for a walk up there and see if there is any branding on any of the antennas, but at the moment if I got caught it's a 600 euro fine. I'll guess I'll have to wait until this shitstorm is over and go and have a look. Meanwhile huge improvements o_O

9320039273.png

I could test again in 5 minutes and it will be shit again, there's no stability at all. It seems worse in the evenings, so I'm convinced there are bandwidth issues as well, but they say not.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
We've got patchy mobile, outside I can get 4g, inside we next to nothing but phone calls, whatsapp work OK. The house walls are half a metre thick. I've spoken to them this morning, asking if they know if there are any suppliers using this, which is less than a kilometre away from the house..

View attachment 41440

The guy didn't know but is going to ask the engineers and get back to me, I'll not be holding my breath.
In normal times I could take the dog for a walk up there and see if there is any branding on any of the antennas, but at the moment if I got caught it's a 600 euro fine. I'll guess I'll have to wait until this shitstorm is over and go and have a look. Meanwhile huge improvements o_O

9320039273.png

I could test again in 5 minutes and it will be shit again, there's no stability at all. It seems worse in the evenings, so I'm convinced there are bandwidth issues as well, but they say not.
How fast is your 4G connection? Could you not purchase an external 4G antenna and connect it to a 4G router?

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
How fast is your 4G connection? Could you not purchase an external 4G antenna and connect it to a 4G router?
The problem is that our "landline", TV, and all the usual stuff is over the internets, so we need unlimited data as it's 100's of gigs a month. I could go Satellite but that wouldn't address the ping issues. I do a fair bit of iRacing and my ping is usually over 250 (upto 500) and you wouldn't believe the bitching from the 'muricans, I've got all chat off because it is so annoying.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Internet through satellite is rapid but the latency isn't wonderful and it's expensive and heavily capped (if it hasn't changed since I looked into it).

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Internet through satellite is rapid but the latency isn't wonderful and it's expensive and heavily capped (if it hasn't changed since I looked into it).
Cursory research earlier seems to indicate no cap, but f expensive. They don't mention what the latency is but do say if a gamer best linked with dsl, wtf.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Cursory research earlier seems to indicate no cap, but f expensive. They don't mention what the latency is but do say if a gamer best linked with dsl, wtf.
Usually satellite is down via the sat and up via the phone line isnt it? Or do they do both ways via sat now?

Embattle

FH is my second home
This is mine if I stay local:

Screenshot_20200422-171149.png

We were just lucky that the new build area we moved into has FTTH, we went for the 150Mbps package rather than the 300Mbps as it is more than enough even with our high data usage. I should state if they offered me 1Gbps for the same price I would take it :p

I was wondering if there are any future plans to improve broadband in your area, or any Spanish government fund like in the UK to improve areas with poor coverage.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

View attachment 41442

We were just lucky that the new build area we moved into has FTTH, we went for the 150Mbps package rather than the 300Mbps as it is more than enough even with our high data usage. I should state if they offered me 1Gbps for the same price I would take it :p

I was wondering if there are any future plans to improve broadband in your area, or any Spanish government fund like in the UK to improve areas with poor coverage.
I got virgin cable. Only town in Cornwall to have it. Was one reason why i chose this town. And the house. Having great broadband was a prerequisite when I moved down here.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person

View attachment 41442

I'm not aware of any government plans to improve things. We are in the middle of countryside, the nearest town is about 4 km away. We are part of a village, just, but we are the last house in the village probably 1km at least away from the centre, plus the village is purely residential. There are zero businesses there that might be a driver for improvements. Tbh I'm just glad we've got Internet at all, we wouldn't have bought the house otherwise.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I know quite a few people over here who are in similar situations - there's so much space between towns that they're not close enough to any to be within range for broadband. Like I said there were 3 or 4 villages that benefited from the new exchange near me, otherwise there's no way they would've gone to the expense of doing it. The solution for those with mobile reception (which has improved dramatically, to be fair) was the Airbox or mobile tethering.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Nice place to live shame about the broadband, with the technology always moving fast you'll probably just have to wait. Is there any service that shows you the assorted options in Spain...sort of like Samknows in the UK.

I just checked and noticed BT have now added speeds above 300Mbps, in fact the 300Mbps is now 500Mbps and costs £49.99 a month they've also added 910Mbps service for £59.99.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Nice place to live shame about the broadband, with the technology always moving fast you'll probably just have to wait. Is there any service that shows you the assorted options in Spain...sort of like Samknows in the UK.

I just checked and noticed BT have now added speeds above 300Mbps, in fact the 300Mbps is now 500Mbps and costs £49.99 a month they've also added 910Mbps service for £59.99.

The problem is that the landscape is far from flat and radio internet is really the only option. So it's a matter of me finding who has the nearest antenna that is in line of sight. My current supplier has a much nearer mast but it's just on the other side of a hill. So I need to find out if, and who has an antenna on that array close to us.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

Virgin just started rolling gig bb out in some cities. :) nice to see they have some competition for pricing might drive it down a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom