SPAM random annoying things

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
"Net zero" orthodoxy.

If every business on the planet is transitioning to net zero - which ones are going to balance out the ones still emitting and become carbon-negative?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
"Net zero" orthodoxy.

If every business on the planet is transitioning to net zero - which ones are going to balance out the ones still emitting and become carbon-negative?

Actually that's a stated goal from most of the big techs; Microsoft have said they want to be Carbon Negative by 2030 and sequester all the carbon they've ever produced.

How much of that is environment theatre and how it will pan out remains to be seen, but the idea of "carbon negative" is definitely out there.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I think companies have to now, simply from a marketing point of view. Whether it actually makes any difference remains to be seen. The cynic in me says it won't, and it's just word theatre.

The simple solution would be to add an extra tax on polluters and ring-fence that money to go towards carbon capture technologies and publicly funded renewables development. Wishy washy slogans and 'plans' won't actually do much unless made mandatory.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Actually that's a stated goal from most of the big techs; Microsoft have said they want to be Carbon Negative by 2030 and sequester all the carbon they've ever produced.

How much of that is environment theatre and how it will pan out remains to be seen, but the idea of "carbon negative" is definitely out there.
I think for governments it's greenwashing, never mind companies. Justification for even more continued inaction.

I was impressed by Microsoft. But atm it's hot air. They should be applaided for the narrative but without the tech to achieve it...

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I think for governments it's greenwashing, never mind companies. Justification for even more continued inaction.

I was impressed by Microsoft. But atm it's hot air. They should be applaided for the narrative but without the tech to achieve it...

I think Microsoft should be applauded for doing stuff relevant to their industry - the under water server stuff, as opposed to companies that just do a Government style pledge which means nothing.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think Microsoft should be applauded for doing stuff relevant to their industry - the under water server stuff, as opposed to companies that just do a Government style pledge which means nothing.
Don't disagree. But I want to see independently audited results.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
We're having our bathroom re-done; new tiles and all the fun things that go with it. No drama, mostly. We're in Northern Ireland for 3 days from tomorrow (Key point) which the builder known about from day 1. (Wednesday-Friday)

The guy doing it is a 'family friend', okay cool, no problem. Wants 1/3rd in cash, no problem, gave it to him the next day. Said it'd take 2 - 2 1/2 weeks to complete, we're now a bit over that. Seems a bit long (Small bathroom) but whatever, we're not the experts. Fair bit to do. Replumbing etc etc etc. I

Today: (M: Me. H: Him)

M: "Are you going to be done tomorrow?"
H: "No, it'll be done by the time you're back. Can I have more cash now please?"
M: "Nope, not till you're done and we're going to need your bank details for the rest".
H: "Have I not done enough?"
M: "We just want to see it and sign it off before we pay."
H: "Oh, don't worry about it" - Now looks really annoyed-

Am I the asshole? (I mean usually yes, but for something like this?)

We don't want to pay him yet because we're not going to be here to see the "final product", we're back Friday so it's only another 3 days. He's running 3 days late. Him being late has caused other issues with people cat-sitting but that's managable.

AITA?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
2 weeks for a bathroom, what's he doing, quarrying the clay and making the tiles?!

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
2 weeks for a bathroom, what's he doing, quarrying the clay and making the tiles?!

Don't get me started.

- Strip off tiles, get it all down to plasterboard.
- Fill the walls
- Smooth them out.
- Prime the walls.
- Flatten the ceiling (old fugly lumpy style thing) and prime it.
- Paint the ceiling (x3)
- Replumb bath, toilet, sink, shower.
- Run new electrical for newer towel radiator.
- Tile the walls. (Cut tiles etc etc etc)
- Other aesthetic work, with paint.
- Grout / Fill between tiles.

9am (ish) to 6-7pm (ish) a day. Tomorrow would be working day 13 which was meant to be where we paid him off fully. We had to buy 21m(2) of tiles if that helps to judge the size we're talking.

Last edited:

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Spelling for applauded. :) cant tell what device you sent on. :p

@Moriath to be fair, for genuine reasons your grammar and spelling is bad, but I know those reasons and do not flag with emojis, but it does strike me as a bit hypocritical that you should use said button, fella.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Don't get me started.

- Fill the walls
- Smooth them out.
- Prime the walls.
- Paint the ceiling (x3)

9am (ish) to 6-7pm (ish) a day. Tomorrow would be working day 13 which was meant to be where we paid him off fully. We had to buy 21m(2) of tiles if that helps to judge the size we're talking.
Just had an issue with a guy doing my bathroom. Said it would be 2 weeks and wasn't finished in 2 months kept having excuses.

then he was after the money which the contract was for materials up front, we paid 3k and 2k on completion.

he starts on its nearly done give us the money. Still had no shower door, which was gonna have to be custom and the ceiling needed smoothing, filling and painting, and needed a led mirror and towel rail still.

thats after i had given him 800 from the 2k as a good will a few weeks before And 500 for an additional for the custom glass. cause it was gonna be a wet room. But couldnt do that so the door was an extra material.

told him no i needed the leverage since he taken so long.

he went mental on the texts to me and i told him to jog on, dont come back and he aint getting not more money.

that was end of may i guess.

the sparky who he got to do a few bits never got paid by him. And i am helping the sparky take the guy to court for the money he owes him.

these guys dont know contract law and take the piss.

ps i got customer glass for it myself and that was 1300 itself so the guy was talking out of his arse.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
@Moriath to be fair, for genuine reasons your grammar and spelling is bad, but I know those reasons and do not flag with emojis, but it does strike me as a bit hypocritical that you should use said button, fella.
Always thought that was a tongue in cheek hey dude you spelled something wrong. Not a corporal punishment. Will be more careful with its use. ;)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Don't get me started.

- Fill the walls
- Smooth them out.
- Prime the walls.
- Paint the ceiling (x3)

I really don't think that should take 2 weeks.
Builder took a week to do my kitchen which was a complete shambles and needed electrics and tiling doing.

Also I would only pay once he has completed it and you are pleased with it.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Am I the asshole? (I mean usually yes, but for something like this?)
Absolutely not, he's trying to get his next job started from the cash remaining on yours, if you give him the cash and there's anything wrong you're unlikely to see them again without major aggravation, especially as they're already not keeping their word

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You will. I put some extra circuits in a few years ago when I moved my desk, got an electrician to check it out.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
New version of Firefox for Windows
This again... now the "turn off new UI" settings are ineffective

I don't want to move to Edge but Mozilla are really starting to push my buttons...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Broken water mains. Not going to have water until sometime tonight/tomorrow morning.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I have about 200 ltrs of water, plus whatever is in the water butts, but that's not really the point :)

Fucking useless water companies again.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I have about 200 ltrs of water, plus whatever is in the water butts, but that's not really the point :)

Fucking useless water companies again.

Yes they let pipes leak for months on end without doing anything about it and then charge a fortune for the little bit of water you use each month.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Getting told the reporting you have just spent 40 hours+ on is based on incorrect data, despite querying it at the time and being guaranteed it was correct.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Getting told by the previous owners of the business who still open some of the IT assets that you can't release your app in 3 weeks time because it breaks a security policy which was never documented and they haven't mentioned at all over the previous 9 weeks.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Broke my sunglasses.

Went to Vision Express (Where I've always bought my glasses from) in Tesco, I said 'Can I have my prescription please, I want to order some sunglasses online. (Because last time I bought them in the shop, they kindly told me I could have paid half the price online)

Bloke says sure, but we don't provide the DFG, the DFGA and the HGHA (these are made up for effect)

'Oh, okay, so what information do I need to order from YOUR COMPANY ONLINE?'

'We don't give advice unless you're buying in the shop'

Fuck buying from Vision Express then :)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
I never buy glasses unless i can see them, which i ironically cant when i dont have glasses

Ormorof

FH is my second home
I have a yellow "Refuse to comply" t shirt from when i was young and edgy, but cant wear it now as its the colour and slogan of choice of anti vaxx nutters

I guess I'll put it in same pile as my red hat with white text on front :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom