SPAM random annoying things

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
They are getting plumbed in toilets near the entrance to the woods in a few weeks so the wife might join me a few times.
This annoys me a little. My o/h is fine, but a few of her female friends who used to happily camp anywhere now refuse to go because they're "too old" (what? really?) - and have started demanding caravans and the like of their partners.

Mate of mine was bemoaning that his camper van is now not up to scratch for his missus and she wants him to spend twenty grand on a caravan. - And we used to go camping with them regularly and have a scream for a fiver a night (if we paid at all).

It's not because they're women (I don't think) - but there's something about western culture that turns a significant percentage of women into, well, pussies, frankly. It's nearly always women who don't want to get sweaty with exercise / have stopped doing it for kids. Western motherhood making them soft when they used to tool about on the backs of motorbikes or raise hell themselves. Then they come out the other side of kids and wonder what to do with themselves.

It's sad that bears still shit in the woods but, increasingly, birds don't like to :(

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
My wife has never liked camping. Getting her into a tent is enough. Next time I go, at the end of August I will be taking nothing but a tarp, an air mat and a sleeping bag for my sleep system and walking in with all my food, water and booze (a couple of miles)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
My wife has never liked camping. Getting her into a tent is enough.
Fair enough. Consistency - no problems with that. You don't have to like it. It's the sudden change from something you used to adore to something you'll no longer even try that bemuses me.

I get that you can get out of a habit and lack motivation but surely remember the good times you had? Why would you give up on them?

Next time I go, at the end of August I will be taking nothing but a tarp, am air mat and a sleeping bag for my sleep system and walking in with all my food, water and booze (a couple of miles)
I need to get my bike looked at for a bit of a bikepacking weekend we've got coming up. Going to ride from ours over to the far side of Anglesey (that'll be a long old days ride on a MTB) and spend a couple of days on the beach. The only thing that is niggling at me is that if we ride to the beach and camp, once I'm there I'll want my kayak, which I know doesn't fit on my back :(

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
All my friends are jealous of my non-breeding for being able to decide you're fucking off to the woods for 2 nights.

I would hate to have children.
That why you go on yr own? All yr mates have kids. Haha

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
No, because it's just nice to get away on my own for a couple of nights. Will be getting a pooch soon to come camping.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
No, because it's just nice to get away on my own for a couple of nights. Will be getting a pooch soon to come camping.
More poop for the ’hole’ come bin.

i have enough problems sorting myself out let alone picking poop up off the floor for a doggie heh

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Got a new tester at work. Not my team.
Reported about 30 bugs in his first week. Curious. We had all this signed off as workng.
Can't reproduce -any- of them, neither can my team.
Ask them to screen share so we can see it.
"Uhm, what browser is that?"
"Oh it's this open source one I use"
- Immediately closes all bugs -
We only support A, B, C, and D. None of our users will ever be allowed to use that browser.

Jesus fucking christ.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Reported about 30 bugs in his first week. Curious. We had all this signed off as workng.
We only support A, B, C, and D. None of our users will ever be allowed to use that browser.

Jesus fucking christ.
Guess no one told him about the browser support

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin

Jesus fucking christ.

Sounds like shit management to me.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Sounds like shit management to me.

I dunno, first thing i would have done in that situation is try another browser before reporting. At least for us a testers job is to narrow down problem before reporting

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I dunno, first thing i would have done in that situation is try another browser before reporting. At least for us a testers job is to narrow down problem before reporting

Isn't testing quite an entry level job though?

IE an employee could be excused for saying 'this is what we did at my last place?'

Ormorof

FH is my second home

IE an employee could be excused for saying 'this is what we did at my last place?'

Depends on whats being tested i guess, our QA guys have been doing it for years and also work a lot on our automation systems, manual QA doesnt really scale very well usually

SilverHood

FH is my second home

We have two tiers of QA at my firm:
The junior people get to do the manual stuff, pretending to be users, and working through test cases and documenting outcomes.
The senior people need to know the systems, interfaces, business logic, etc, and they tend to automate a lot of their testing.
Junior QA might do 40 tests for 1 transaction, senior QA will do 20,000 tests for 500,000 transactions.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
We have two tiers of QA at my firm:
The junior people get to do the manual stuff, pretending to be users, and working through test cases and documenting outcomes.
The senior people need to know the systems, interfaces, business logic, etc, and they tend to automate a lot of their testing.
Junior QA might do 40 tests for 1 transaction, senior QA will do 20,000 tests for 500,000 transactions.
In testing are you prescribing a methodology that the users go through. Or are they just trying to break it?

i always wondered. Apart from load testing which is putting many transactions through to test its function which would be set of functions or whatever.

our small dev team always seem to provide us with a method to follow which i find silly cause if one person follows it. It should be the same for all the others.

just wondering what professional testers do.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

the judge said:
said that prosecutors seemed to be arguing that a protester could not lawfully lie down in the road in any circumstances - and they had not "grasped" the importance of a recent Supreme Court ruling

Spurious prosecutions getting thrown out wholesale. Government intends to change the law to criminalise peaceful protest. UK population hates crusties and inconvenience so the majority will side with the government.

/singing to Rule Brittania!
"Britain always always always will be slaves"

SilverHood

FH is my second home
In testing are you prescribing a methodology that the users go through. Or are they just trying to break it?

i always wondered. Apart from load testing which is putting many transactions through to test its function which would be set of functions or whatever.

our small dev team always seem to provide us with a method to follow which i find silly cause if one person follows it. It should be the same for all the others.

just wondering what professional testers do.

We do some load testing, but most of the testing is feed testing. Enter order in system A, it feeds to systems B, C, D and E. Shows up on all reports with right category. Stuff like that.
In terms of functional testing, they follow the steps agreed between the system owner and the business owner. We will typically have written instructions for the business users, and these become the test cases. If they can't do it because of bug / IT issue, then we fix it and they try again. If the workflow has changed, then we update the doc and try again. Once release goes out, system owner gets new docs, they update the business users with regards to new workflow. Deviate from agreed process and you're on your own. It may work, but may not. When too many people deviate, doing the same thing incorrectly, we put in some guard rails. QA have some automated scripts to bulk enter order orders, but they bypass some of the front ends the user would use, so we have to do both.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Sounds like shit IT systems. How the fuck did he install a non-sanctioned browser?
Our laptops are fairly open where iwork. We can install anything we need to. They are scanned and reported back to IT.
i worked somewhere where they were completely locked down and it was such a pita when i needed some freeware piece of software to read a weird format doc gotten from a customer.

you need to enable your workforce not put them in chains

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
We do some load testing, but most of the testing is feed testing. Enter order in system A, it feeds to systems B, C, D and E. Shows up on all reports with right category. Stuff like that.
In terms of functional testing, they follow the steps agreed between the system owner and the business owner. We will typically have written instructions for the business users, and these become the test cases. If they can't do it because of bug / IT issue, then we fix it and they try again. If the workflow has changed, then we update the doc and try again. Once release goes out, system owner gets new docs, they update the business users with regards to new workflow. Deviate from agreed process and you're on your own. It may work, but may not. When too many people deviate, doing the same thing incorrectly, we put in some guard rails. QA have some automated scripts to bulk enter order orders, but they bypass some of the front ends the user would use, so we have to do both.
The testing i like is trying to break stuff to see if the devs have handled it elegantly or the app just shits its pants lol

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Our laptops are fairly open where iwork. We can install anything we need to. They are scanned and reported back to IT.
i worked somewhere where they were completely locked down and it was such a pita when i needed some freeware piece of software to read a weird format doc gotten from a customer.

Most places I've worked are locked down. Too many security risks otherwise. The two most recent places I worked had a built in web shop, where you could order software and it would get installed on your PC automatically if free, or if we had licenses spare. Getting new software added took a few days. Current place, we need desktop support team to do everything, which can get frustrating.

Embattle

FH is my second home
My wife has never liked camping. Getting her into a tent is enough. Next time I go, at the end of August I will be taking nothing but a tarp, an air mat and a sleeping bag for my sleep system and walking in with all my food, water and booze (a couple of miles)

Used to do loads of camping when I was younger with my parents, sister and nan and grandad in the field of family relatives in an area just outside Liskeard which now has a housing development right up to it. Picture of the old tent below:

PD_0005.JPG

Always had fun, even when I got stung hundreds of times once trying to make it down to a stream in the side field.

Overdriven

All I'm going to say: Dynamics 365.

If you know you know. Hired specifically for this specific piece of work (Process testing, not automation, release etc). Supposedly done this before.

Calling BS.

Our managed, non-contractor devices are all fine. Not a single person in the whole Dataverse uses any of the non 4-5 standard browsers,. especially for the roles and people we work with.

Overdriven

For context, I have many browsers I use. Various ones for various things. If I'm touching a Microsoft product I'm probably correct in thinking most standard browsers will work. Not some ghetto open source POS that no one in our entire dept (60) has heard of.

Overdriven

Sounds like shit IT systems. How the fuck did he install a non-sanctioned browser?

Why do you assumed all people use managed devices for cloud services? We run certain projects for NGOs who are often all on managed so will work with anything we do.

Contractors in to help specifically with certain use cases, not so much.

I DID however raise this with our infrastructure guys about how we handle this. This is like me complaining to Microsoft that Netscape doesn't work.

Tough shit, it's the cloud. Unless you're running some custom built software which supports every browser on earth the GL.

I also agree with you all. It's shit management. Hence why I specifically said not my team :D

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Most places I've worked are locked down. Too many security risks otherwise. The two most recent places I worked had a built in web shop, where you could order software and it would get installed on your PC automatically if free, or if we had licenses spare. Getting new software added took a few days. Current place, we need desktop support team to do everything, which can get frustrating.
I get stuck with the worst of both as our IT/InfoSec approach changes constantly. Our latest is every e-mail from outside the company has to have "[External]" in the subject line. It's just such horrendous security theatre as there are other ways to stick "THIS COULD BE BAD" on the screen without mucking around with the contents 😐

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
At my work it's locked down for most people but if the IT guys like you they open it up for you. Which is nice.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I get stuck with the worst of both as our IT/InfoSec approach changes constantly. Our latest is every e-mail from outside the company has to have "[External]" in the subject line. It's just such horrendous security theatre as there are other ways to stick "THIS COULD BE BAD" on the screen without mucking around with the contents 😐

I got the very same on Monday - we working for the same bunch of cunts?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
At my work it's locked down for most people but if the IT guys like you they open it up for you. Which is nice.
Working at a bank we shoot people who commit thought crime, so nothing is not monitored or locked down.

Incident last week that we discussed in a governance forum - someone didn't disconnect two phones that they were told to in a branch in France. It had an impact on our 99.9993% service availability stats for last month (there were knock-on effects).

Of course, executive level management are acting like the world is on fire because five nines availability means five minutes of unplanned downtime in a 12 month period. That's why we're spending millions on service improvement programmes which we've promised the business will improve availability by 25% within the next two years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom