SPAM random annoying things

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Don't be forgetting Reef, please and thank you. Place Your Hands was overplayed to hell and back but Consideration is still one of my all time favourite songs and Glow is a fantastic album overall.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Some weird bug in Excel where if I use conditional formatting to highlight duplicates in a column it spreads to other columns when inserting large amounts of data.
When working with large amounts of data, you need to be using Power-Query. Best thing to ever happen to Excel.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The steam client looks shite at 4k. How can valve put so little effort into developing it? They're *rolling* in it. Why not just shunt it to some 3rd party for an upgrade?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Restless left leg preventing me from going to sleep. Stupid leg, I feel like cutting it off.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
The steam client looks shite at 4k. How can valve put so little effort into developing it? They're *rolling* in it. Why not just shunt it to some 3rd party for an upgrade?

legend is that their devs can choose what to do, so if no one wants to work on 4k improvements...

Or they just base their priorities on the steam hardware survey, most of which is HD (and even more so with chinese players joining steam enmasse)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Still shit for a company with that much cash. Like I said - farm it out to a 3rd party. Shocking from a company like that.

Can see why they're not arsed pumping out games any more - it's all so lovely and creative there's no fucking end product...

Ormorof

FH is my second home
They are still a business that need return on investment, 4k is used by around 0.5% of their users so not yet worth getting worked on

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
They are still a business that need return on investment, 4k is used by around 0.5% of their users so not yet worth getting worked on
Everyone is going to get there eventually and they're rolling in it.

It's a relatively simple and relatively cheap thing to do. For a company like Valve it shows horrendous complacency, so I stand by what I said.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Another classic band. In fact, I know certain people on this board don't find nostalgia as much fun as it used to be, but the 90's really were the point where music peaked imo.

You had the whole indie/britpop scene (Oasis, Blur, OCS, Suede, Verve, etc), some of the best Dance music (Prodigy, Chemicals, Leftfield, Orbital, Roni Size, Goldie, etc), and the best era for rock music as well (Faith No More, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Wildhearts, Green Day, Offspring - when they were good - RATM, etc etc), and then all the weird and wonderful stuff that didn't really fit into any category (Cake, Beck, Butthole Surfers, Sublime, etc).

Compare that lot to what we have now and...well. Kids these days don't know they are born :)

I got Noel Gallaghers new album yesterday and its really good. Its a move on from his other solo stuff, but its not a bad thing. I was a huge Oasis fan, and still like them, but i would rather listen to his solo stuff now, but then that's probably me as an older person moving on with what he is doing now

I think Liam on the other hand is a total fucknugget with the intelligence of a carrot. His new stuff just sounds like old Oasis, been there, done that.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
That's probably because Noel wrote most of their stuff and Liam was (basically) just a voice.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
That's probably because Noel wrote most of their stuff and Liam was (basically) just a voice.
I don't think Liam has written much of his solo stuff, which is probably a good thing, as the few songs he wrote with Oasis were dire

Last edited:

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Everyone is going to get there eventually and they're rolling in it.

It's a relatively simple and relatively cheap thing to do. For a company like Valve it shows horrendous complacency, so I stand by what I said.

Sure its cheap and simple to create a UI thats liked and useful for millions of users spanning 6 continents and hundreds of cultures, takes an afternoon :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Sure its cheap and simple to create a UI thats liked and useful for millions of users spanning 6 continents and hundreds of cultures, takes an afternoon :)

I was under the impression Steam was trying to position itself as a media centre in the living room as well as the desktop? If so, yeah, too fucking right it should be 4K optimised. And Scouse is right; its not a fundamental UI change, its a css and image upgrade.

I haven't used Steam in years so I can't comment on the UI's functionality; but I noticed with Kodi they had a similar issue with Krypton; the early builds looked lovely on my on 1080 TV upstairs, and gash on my main 4K telly; but by the final release they'd resolved the issues (mainly badly pixellated images) and now its spot on. Valve should absolutely be concerned about having a quality experience on 4K, irrespective of its current market penetration; cutting edge is supposed to be part of the Valve/Steam brand.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
.52% of users have 4k displays.

Also, 4k Steam is fine, user error, plenty of help on the internet, settings etc

It's probably on their radar but seeing as even the very top end of graphics cards can't do 4k justice at the moment (4k, 60+fps, ultra, all games) take up is fairly low. Sure, they can on a few games but we need the next gen for comfortable reliability.

Seeing as the person whining about it is using a 4k TV (I imagine) anyway, then that brings a few of its own issues, because a TV and a monitor are not the same thing. Is there even a Free-sync or G-sync 4k TV in existence?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
.52% of users have 4k displays.

Also, 4k Steam is fine, user error, plenty of help on the internet, settings etc

It's probably on their radar but seeing as even the very top end of graphics cards can't do 4k justice at the moment (4k, 60+fps, ultra, all games) take up is fairly low. Sure, they can on a few games but we need the next gen for comfortable reliability.

Seeing as the person whining about it is using a 4k TV (I imagine) anyway, then that brings a few of its own issues, because a TV and a monitor are not the same thing. Is there even a Free-sync or G-sync 4k TV in existence?

0.52%? Seems pretty low. While I know shipments don't equal sales; if 30% of global shipments of TVs are 4K and only half a percent of people have one, that's a fuckton of unsold tellys.
4K tellys.jpg

And to be honest, even if it is .5%, a company like Steam should be ahead of the curve, not behind it. As for the TV/Monitor issue; Steam want the living room, its their stated aim, so that means optimising for big TVs.

Once again, classic example of people tolerating shoddy shit from Valve that they wouldn't even consider from anyone else. Its always baffled me.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Once again, classic example of people tolerating shoddy shit from Valve that they wouldn't even consider from anyone else. Its always baffled me.
Smacks of weird fanboi-ism doesn't it.

Steam's desktop client is shite. G-sync or anything in-game else is utterly irrelevant @Raven. And 4k isn't the only issue - it clearly *scales* badly - so gets progressively uglier for anyone with above 1080p, which is hardly rare.

It's fucking awful shite from lazy skimming-30%-for-doing-little Valve...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I thought that was one of the aims of Big Picture.
Never arsed with big picture - too many other non-steam sources of games so why would you run steam-only? Same for steam-OS. It's Valve disappearing up it's own ass - they're one of many game-content distribution platforms. The biggest, yeah, sure, but they're not in a position to be an alternative O/S for gamers as they don't hold *all* the games...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It may well seem pretty low, but that is what it is.

Steam Hardware & Software Survey

We aren't talking about TVs here but PCs, monitors etc.

Very few people are dumb enough to use a TV as their primary display...why on earth would they?

Also, the whole steambox thing died on its arse, that was when they were aiming for the living room. The Big picture is a kind of half way house but again, take up is slow.

Valve have a habit of changing their mind at the last minute, of canning things whenever they feel like it, if its not working.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Edit, 4k usage has actually dropped by .27%

Probably because people have found the graphics cards just aren't up to the task yet for acceptable 4k.

Also, edit edit. This whole thing is moot anyway, Steam works just fine at 4k.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
The desktop client does what it needs to do, my main problem is its rating/sorting algorithms seem too random, the "top sellers" list can be totally different for two people in same locale

Like i said the return on investment atm is negligble if positive at all, once that average resolution starts creeping up i have no doubt it will improve (you could always send feedback to valve aboit this if you feel v strongly)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Very few people are dumb enough to use a TV as their primary display...why on earth would they?
'cause I don't feel the need to sit by a desk on a chair to play games. I've been there and done that - and I find sitting on a big settee with a 55" 4k telly in front of me, keyboard on my knees, mouse on the seat to my right much more preferable.

Must make me "dumb" though.

You really are an obnoxious little cunt aren't you Raven. Unable to interact without being abusive.

Edit: And I'm running everything I have at 4k 60fps on "ultra everything" easily - so I don't recognise the "tech isn't ready" bullshit. It's working fine, if you have the right hardware...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If you have the money you mean ;)
Yep. But Raven's assertion was that the tec wasn't there and somehow lounging on a settee playing 4k 60fps on a 55" display is idiotic when you could be sat at a desk, on a chair with a much smaller monitor.

Edit: Like this...
Feet Up.JPG

Yeah, I've still not bothered putting a side on my case, which was from an old alienware box I bought in 2003... but who cares :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom