Question: Swimming + Gym?

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
eggy said:
Yeh I do that as part of routine.

But still don't know if I should be swimming/running or not on the other days :p

sorry but full body routines 3 times a week ISNT much to go on :(, what exercises if you wouldnt mind saying?

to put it simply, yes u can swim/run on your off days, just take it lightly as you get into it then increase slightly as the weeks move on. too much cardio will reduce muscle growth tho, various studies, but about 20 minutes of cardio will suffice if your trying to build muscle. You can still make use of the facilities, sauna, steam room, jaccuzi all brilliant for recovery. Alternatively walk around the gym shotuing at everyone to "PUMP IT UP!"

Haggus

Can't get enough of FH
Haggus said:
Swimming is aerobic exercise and weight training is anearobic. both of which you need to do !

so yes perfect, but you may be fucked after the first week :D

hmm ?

Anyway, I would suggest you run during Gym time. OR you could run during your warm up/warm down which would count as running.

Warm up - Run abit, stretch
Work out - what ever you do
Warm down - Run, stretch, walk abit.

Next day - Swim 20laps on a 25metre swimming pool.

repeat.

Gradually increase the swimming laps.

1-3weeks 20laps
3-6weeks 25/30laps
etc

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
eggy said:
I did read the posts, but there are contradictions throughout!

You still haven't advised if I can RUN on days off :p

(or which is better could be another question!)

YES YOU CAN RUN, LIMIT IT TO 20 MINUTES TO BEGGIN WITH AND DO SOME OTHER STUFF, STRETCHING, SAUNA, WHATEVER, OR 20 MINUTES RUN, 10-15 MINUTES SWIMMING AND THEN STRETCHING, STEAM ROOM WHATEVER, JUST DONT DO TOO MUCH. YOU SHOULD FIND AFTER YOUR FIRST DAY YOUR BODY WILL HURT ALL OVER AND WONT WANT TO RUN MUCH ANYWAY, GOOD, THIS IS YOUR BODY GETTING FUCKED AND RECOVERING. IF THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN CHANGE YOUR ROUTINE.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Darksword said:
YES YOU CAN RUN, LIMIT IT TO 20 MINUTES TO BEGGIN WITH AND DO SOME OTHER STUFF, STRETCHING, SAUNA, WHATEVER, OR 20 MINUTES RUN, 10-15 MINUTES SWIMMING AND THEN STRETCHING, STEAM ROOM WHATEVER, JUST DONT DO TOO MUCH. YOU SHOULD FIND AFTER YOUR FIRST DAY YOUR BODY WILL HURT ALL OVER AND WONT WANT TO RUN MUCH ANYWAY, GOOD, THIS IS YOUR BODY GETTING FUCKED AND RECOVERING. IF THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN CHANGE YOUR ROUTINE.

Ok, thanks but chill!!

Haven't investigated the sauna yet!

Think I'll try some swimming later and see how my body reacts :)

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Haggus said:
Warm up - Run abit, stretch
Work out - what ever you do
Warm down - Run, stretch, walk abit.

Next day - Swim 20laps on a 25metre swimming pool.

repeat.

Gradually increase the swimming laps.

1-3weeks 20laps
3-6weeks 25/30laps
etc

Thanks - that was great and was similar to my own thoughts :)

Marc

FH is my second home
Its best to work it out yourself rod. Depends what you want. As you say you want to lose weight, id do more cardio than weights, put the emphasis on cardio with weights as secondary, ie, dont tire yourself out on weights and leave yourself knackered for cardio.

Get the gym people to measure your body fat. Weighing yourself over time is crap because muscle weighs more than that. Keeping tabs on your body fat is better. Say, once a month. When doing weights, go for lighter weight and more reps. Ignore what Darksword says, people go to the gym for many different reasons. If you want to tone up thats fine.

Once you feel you have lost some flab, if you decide you then want to pack some muscle on, you should aim for 8-12 reps, where the last rep you are really struggling to make. Do not do more than 4 sets per exercise and do not do any more than 3 exercises per body part. I would also advise only training 1 body part per week. Say:

Mon - Biceps + chest
Wed - Triceps + Shoulders
Fri - Legs + back

Also, if you are trying to put some muscle on, eat loads. Not kebabs, chips etc, but stuff things rich in protein down your neck. During winter I used to eat 2 small chickens and upto 6 tins of tuna a day. I used to pack the muscle on so easily when eating this. There are also various supplements you can buy to help you. Personally, only ones I have used are Gabba and Creatine. Its all personal choice.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Cheers!

Well Marc, my idea was (as you said) to lose general weight first by mainly running/rowing (and a few light weights), then pure swimming/running on the off days (which won’t always happen).

Thus losing body fat. Then move onto concentrating on weights a bit more.

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Just my 2c:

Join a martial arts club - you will have a motive for getting and keeping fit, the training sessions themselves improve your mind and body. There are achievable goals, and its good fun training with other people - getting feeback etc.

A lot of gyms have tae-kwon-do, thai boxing or karate sessions - try a couple of these and find one you like. Keep going to the gym one for a couple of months until you get your head around the basics, then research a proper club where you can train several times a week - often the instructor at the gym will also teach at an affiliated martial arts club/academy.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i dont know much but about routines, i other do it or dont tbh. but here is a good exercise for muscles, CV, makes you breath heavy and sweat like a bastard.

get a barbell, put about 15-20k on to see how this exercise is like
neal down, pick up barbell
stand up
curl barbel to chest
press it up in the air so your arms are fully extent
then bring it back down so its now on your shoulders
squat down
go back up
do the whole thing in reverse

at each part you should pause for a second so the weight isnt being moved from momentum but by your muscles

if i do this i do sets of 10 reps, a rep is once forward and then once reverse. stop for a min or so and keep doing sets of 10 for about an hour.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Marc said:
Its best to work it out yourself rod. Depends what you want. As you say you want to lose weight, id do more cardio than weights, put the emphasis on cardio with weights as secondary, ie, dont tire yourself out on weights and leave yourself knackered for cardio.

Get the gym people to measure your body fat. Weighing yourself over time is crap because muscle weighs more than that. Keeping tabs on your body fat is better. Say, once a month. When doing weights, go for lighter weight and more reps. Ignore what Darksword says, people go to the gym for many different reasons. If you want to tone up thats fine.

Once you feel you have lost some flab, if you decide you then want to pack some muscle on, you should aim for 8-12 reps, where the last rep you are really struggling to make. Do not do more than 4 sets per exercise and do not do any more than 3 exercises per body part. I would also advise only training 1 body part per week. Say:

Mon - Biceps + chest
Wed - Triceps + Shoulders
Fri - Legs + back

Also, if you are trying to put some muscle on, eat loads. Not kebabs, chips etc, but stuff things rich in protein down your neck. During winter I used to eat 2 small chickens and upto 6 tins of tuna a day. I used to pack the muscle on so easily when eating this. There are also various supplements you can buy to help you. Personally, only ones I have used are Gabba and Creatine. Its all personal choice.

wow what a shit routine. the only good thing was friday, suggesting legs and back. and even then, id throw this routine out. why should he even work his biceps seperatly? how should he do this? curls? please odnt be a retard strength and power does not come from isolation exercsies. how should he work his "chest"? flys? again dont be stupid. Please dont give advice on something you dont understand at all. personally i dont know alot but i know more than you, educate yourself.

triceps and shoulders? why should he had 2 days on his upper body? huh? explain, because this routine is complete balls.

Pull day
Push day
Squat day. end of

u want to work your biceps? chins.

tris-

easy darksword, you are gonna pop a vain at this rate :eek:

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
tris- said:
i dont know much but about routines, i other do it or dont tbh. but here is a good exercise for muscles, CV, makes you breath heavy and sweat like a bastard.

get a barbell, put about 15-20k on to see how this exercise is like
neal down, pick up barbell
stand up
curl barbel to chest
press it up in the air so your arms are fully extent
then bring it back down so its now on your shoulders
squat down
go back up
do the whole thing in reverse

at each part you should pause for a second so the weight isnt being moved from momentum but by your muscles

if i do this i do sets of 10 reps, a rep is once forward and then once reverse. stop for a min or so and keep doing sets of 10 for about an hour.

here you are limited by your weakest muscle, this is a compound routine, to do it effectively u need 3 or so bars with various weights, do 5 reps of each exercise and then jump to the next one without any rest, till youve done one round on all, rest for 2 minutes (over time bring the rest down) and do it again, 6 sets is the most id recomend. its good for building stamina and heart.

tris-

ah so i need to change weights eh. only 6 sets though :(. its the only exercise i can be arsed doing. will there be adverse effects to doing it for an hour?

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
tris- said:
easy darksword, you are gonna pop a vain at this rate :eek:

lol nah im fine, just alot of people are giving body building routines, want to know how strong a body builder is? google greg valentino, synthol user, can only tricep pull down 30lbs.

tris-

that guy is a fucking freak though. arnie is where it is/was at! and the dude in predator with the moustache and mahoosive chin.

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
Darksword said:
lol nah im fine, just alot of people are giving body building routines, want to know how strong a body builder is? google greg valentino, synthol user, can only tricep pull down 30lbs.
That guy's fucking ugly :(

His bits are sticking out all over the place, not nice at all!

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
tris- said:
ah so i need to change weights eh. only 6 sets though :(. its the only exercise i can be arsed doing. will there be adverse effects to doing it for an hour?

well, if you can do it for an hour your not using a weight that is high enough and pushing yourself as much, so your not getting stronger. look at it like this, if your doing 5 reps for each movement/exercise for 6 reps, thats 30 reps for each exercise! thats plenty.

I'll find a good site on compound routines, i may be incorrect but i think im right here.

tris-

maybe plenty, but it is/will be the only form of exercise i will do bar walking and masturbation.

sometimes i only do it half an hour then do squats and curls and shit. it really is the only exercise i like :(

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
scrap_Rarm3.jpg

him before his synthol use. He has been diagnosed as having adonis complex, he was a body builder and as you can see his biceps are his pride and joy. He does alot of bicep work (and alot of isolation work), dont even try to tell me he is strong, im pretty sure im stronger than him and im 17 and ive stopped working out in the gym for a long time now (various reasons).

polza

Loyal Freddie
Darksword said:
scrap_Rarm3.jpg

him before his synthol use. He has been diagnosed as having adonis complex, he was a body builder and as you can see his biceps are his pride and joy. He does alot of bicep work (and alot of isolation work), dont even try to tell me he is strong, im pretty sure im stronger than him and im 17 and ive stopped working out in the gym for a long time now (various reasons).

hmm u post out body buildin routines yet your only 17 and most peps recomend u dnt start lifting weights to ur atleast 18 should wait till 21 as it perma dmgs ur body as ur bones are not fully formed.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
tris- said:
maybe plenty, but it is/will be the only form of exercise i will do bar walking and masturbation.

sometimes i only do it half an hour then do squats and curls and shit. it really is the only exercise i like :(

havent found the site yet, but im pretty sure this routine will stress your CNS and so its adviced as a "break" from a normal routine, so you do it every 3 months for a fortnight or a month or something.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
polza said:
hmm u post out body buildin routines yet your only 17 and most peps recomend u dnt start lifting weights to ur atleast 18 should wait till 21 as it perma dmgs ur body as ur bones are not fully formed.

says who? and im posting powerlifting routines. actually alot of institutes recomend lifting at the age of 15, when doing exercise in school. Get a 15 year old rugby player to do squats and dead and i promise you u ahve a better player, and squats and deadlift have huge carryover and strengthen your entire body. Weightlifting does not perma dmg you unless your retarded and dont know what your doing. end of

oh and alot of the people that recommend this are reffered to as arm chair theorists, they know fuck all about it coz they dont get out there and do it.

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Darksword what he's getting at is that before the age of 18/21, your bones aren't fully developed. Undergoing a heavy weightlifting/bodybuilding programme causes the muscles to develop at a much faster rate. Therefore the muscles wrap themselves around the bone so much that it's impossible for the bone to grow any further.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Vladamir said:
Darksword what he's getting at is that before the age of 18/21, your bones aren't fully developed. Undergoing a heavy weightlifting/bodybuilding programme causes the muscles to develop at a much faster rate. Therefore the muscles wrap themselves around the bone so much that it's impossible for the bone to grow any further.

completely invalid, routines like the one im suggesting build strong tendons and ligaments, a huge part of strength, body building routines screw your body up and stop you growing. alot of gyms advocate lifting at the age of 15+ and alot of hte best teams do aswell. Im pretty sure westside do aswell tho im not sure. Muscle will develop aswell, but not restricting muscle, aslong as you work properly. Goin by what your saying muscle reduces flexibility <laughs> :).

Oh and i know loads of people that have been lifting from a young age and have no height or size problems, personally im 5"10 but thats my natural height, not impaired by lifting (i started lifting weights at 16 or so and im still growing fine + i dont want to be hugely tall).

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
eggy said:
I've joined the gym recently as I've decided to give my body an overhaul! Really enjoying it, find it great fun and will hopefully stick at it. I've never enjoyed exercise before (and have never really had to, food has never seemed to make me overweight) so this is incredible for me!

Anyway.

As I'm a beginner when it comes to these things, I've been given an all-over workout routine to do 3 times a week.

However, I'd like to take advantage of the facilities whenever I'm free. Muscles obviously need time to repair, but my question is this:

Is swimming/cycling/running in the days I'm not doing my gym routine ok? ie doing the routine on a monday, then swimming on tuesday and doing the routine again on the wed.

Or, is this completely detrimental? I'm doing this firstly for general fitness and some all-over weight loss.

I think this thread kind of got sidetracked here. I'll try to bring it back on track.
From personal experience i'd say workout 3 days a week with a day in between doing other atletic stuff is fine. i have gym mon/wed/friday and other sports tue/thur/saturday. This works out fine for me. Your recovery will be fine even though you use your body. (just don't overdo it)

Great idea btw. Knocking your body back into shape will do you alot of good :) you will ofcause look better, feel better. lower the risk of injury and the best part.. when you start working out and build up muscle mass you get to eat more without getting fat :p (this goes even if you dont want that fuckly gorilla type bodybuilder figure)

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Blackjack said:
I think this thread kind of got sidetracked here. I'll try to bring it back on track.
From personal experience i'd say workout 3 days a week with a day in between doing other atletic stuff is fine. i have gym mon/wed/friday and other sports tue/thur/saturday. This works out fine for me. Your recovery will be fine even though you use your body. (just don't overdo it)

Great idea btw. Knocking your body back into shape will do you alot of good :) you will ofcause look better, feel better. lower the risk of injury and the best part.. when you start working out and build up muscle mass you get to eat more without getting fat :p (this goes even if you dont want that fuckly gorilla type bodybuilder figure)

already covered ;)

oh and thanks for bringing up the extra eating point, ill try find the figures for how many calories each pound of muscle uses a day or whatever.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
"For every extra pound of muscle you put on, your body uses around 50 extra calories a day. In a recent study, researchers found that regular weight training boosts basal metabolic rate by about 15%. This is because muscle is ‘metabolically active’ and burns more calories than other body tissue even when you’re not moving."

Running boosts metabolic rate for up to 2 hours after exercise for 15 minutes running, iirc. Theres also evidence that HIIT will boost metabolism rate for up to 24 hours after exercise.

mikke

Can't get enough of FH
Haggus said:
this is BS :p - You don't need to eat healthy just eat what you normally eat.

Just eat it -conciously- IE LOOK at what your eating, take your time eating it and don't watch TV when you are eating. Don't snack out.

You'll find yourself being full alot of the tiem which is perfectly normall.

pft, it really helps to eat healthy, with one day a week that you eat whatever you want..

listen to me - i went down 28kg in 1,5 years:D

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Wow, I agree with Darksword! Whats the world coming to.. jk :p What he says is correct though, someone else who has done A-level PE & Biology? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom