Question: Swimming + Gym?

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
I've joined the gym recently as I've decided to give my body an overhaul! Really enjoying it, find it great fun and will hopefully stick at it. I've never enjoyed exercise before (and have never really had to, food has never seemed to make me overweight) so this is incredible for me!

Anyway.

As I'm a beginner when it comes to these things, I've been given an all-over workout routine to do 3 times a week.

However, I'd like to take advantage of the facilities whenever I'm free. Muscles obviously need time to repair, but my question is this:

Is swimming/cycling/running in the days I'm not doing my gym routine ok? ie doing the routine on a monday, then swimming on tuesday and doing the routine again on the wed.

Or, is this completely detrimental? I'm doing this firstly for general fitness and some all-over weight loss.

Cozak

Part of the furniture
One day in-between will be fine, an active recovery which is pretty much what you described helps to develop muscle growth futher. For rugby we used to do monday CV work and speed training, tuesday weights, wednesday CV and speed again, thursday weights and friday CV and agility work. Its good to have variation so that you dont get bored etc.. change your routine every few weeks :)

mikke

Can't get enough of FH
here is whats best for you (if you want to burn fat and build muscles):

in the gym you go for lots of reps, and few series. something like 12*3/4 times. in that way you prepair your muscles and scenes for heavyer lifts later on. and the best way to burn fat, is to go for a swim\run\cycling trip JUST AFTER you have lifted weights. your running tours should be something like 30-60 mins long, and at a moderate speed/pulse.

another good thing to do when you have spare time in the morning (like the weekends) is to go for a morning walk\run. you simply just take a cup of cofee to make the "fatburning process" begin, and maybe a small banana, and then ur of walking for 30-120 mins:D

and a little hint; dont ever give up. "thing takes time" as i use to say:D

Good luck:)

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
I reckon u shud take it easy for a while then maybe fill in the gaps when your body can cope with it. I think u have right idea although im no expert but time off or less stressfull workouts are better in the long run. If your gym routine is all about the weights then u might well be ok with swimming and running on non gym days. Don't over do it though else u wont benefit very much.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Cheers for replies, but a little confusing!

The initial CV workout I've been given lasts around 45mins-hour, including 1km rowing, 1km running and 1km cross-training. Rest is weights, 10rep x 2 of each on light-moderate weights, to get my body used to training.

I did that routine last night for example. I'd like to do some easy/slow swimming or running tonight (in the gym)...but unsure if as a beginner the routine above is enough 3 times a week. Don't want to fuck my body up, but if gentle swimming/jogging/running tonight would help I'd like to do it!!

It doesn't feel as though the workout has stretched my body.

Hope that's clearer!

Haggus

Can't get enough of FH
Swimming is aerobic exercise and weight training is anearobic. both of which you need to do !

so yes perfect, but you may be fucked after the first week :D

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
-my part-

- NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP AND LIFT!

(want something more descriptive? get brooks kubiks, dinosaur training)

DONT do a all body 3 times a week, your better of splitting it into motions, pull day, push day, squat day. And if your wanting to get mad stamina, try HIIT or jump rope, when u can jump rope for 20 minutes straight, increase the speed.

DONT fucking do curls, curls are for queers and trendys, if your going to do curls, get the heaviest weight you can and do 1-2 reps, for 1-3 sets, be a man, biceps have no athletic carryover and if u are doing weights to be astheticly pleasing then get the fuck out the gym, no one has time for body builders.

DONT do high reps and high sets, at the beggining it is good to go with 12-15 reps on the big three, bench squat and dead lift, to get your form perfect so u avoid injuries, and move down 1 rep a week till u are doing a 5x5 system or something similar. Do not neglect squat and deadlift, once u get going with them after a few months change your routine so your going HEAVY HEAVY poundages on deadlift, and do deadlift once every 2 weeks.

if u want info on HIIT training, or stretching just say, got some brilliant links. Oh and for brilliant cardio, join some sort of class like boxing or something u will enjoy and build co-ordination and work with people that can help you alot along the way

Haggus

Can't get enough of FH
mikke said:
oh, and remember to eat healthy!!

this is BS :p - You don't need to eat healthy just eat what you normally eat.

Just eat it -conciously- IE LOOK at what your eating, take your time eating it and don't watch TV when you are eating. Don't snack out.

You'll find yourself being full alot of the tiem which is perfectly normall.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Haggus said:
Swimming is aerobic exercise and weight training is anearobic. both of which you need to do !

so yes perfect, but you may be fucked after the first week :D

Yes but my gym workout is aerobic as well (3km of running/rowing etc).

And thanks for that bizarre long guide but I'm not doing heavy weightlifting :)

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
eggy said:
Yes but my gym workout is aerobic as well (3km of running/rowing etc).

And thanks for that bizarre long guide but I'm not doing heavy weightlifting :)

90% of all gyms routines are shit, u want evidence? look at the research done into gym instructors, alot dont have the required qualifications, or have the very basic, its shocking but hey.

what are you doing then/ loads and loads of reps? why, that wont get you stronger, if your not tearing your body up, its not going to grow, end of.

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
In my opinion i think you should send me all your pie :)

I ride my bike at least 5 times a week, at least 10 miles 4x and one nice long evening out after work on Friday - usually about 25 - 30 miles on a round trip home. I smoke, but gave up beer, i eat loads of sweets, but not much fat. Im a proper carb fan and aim to eat as much as i intend to burn off before i go out :)

I've got it goin awn!!! :D hahahaha!!

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Darksword said:
what are you doing then/ loads and loads of reps? why, that wont get you stronger, if your not tearing your body up, its not going to grow, end of.

Urm, if you read my post:

I'm not doing "loads and loads of reps". I'm starting on a basic CV routine with 20 reps on about 4 machines, and 3km or so of running/rowing etc.

Who said I want to be stronger? I didn't. This isn't a strength thing. And I don't think "tearing my body up" is a good idea, for anyone.

My question was, can I go swimming on the off days if my workout includes that amount of aerobic excercise?

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
eggy said:
Urm, if you read my post:

I'm not doing "loads and loads of reps". I'm starting on a basic CV routine with 20 reps on about 4 machines, and 3km or so of running/rowing etc.

Who said I want to be stronger? I didn't. This isn't a strength thing. And I don't think "tearing my body up" is a good idea, for anyone.

My question was, can I go swimming on the off days if my workout includes that amount of aerobic excercise?

20 reps is alot, and machines suck, move to freeweights, it improves muscle co-ordination and builds stabiliser muscles. and yeh ofcourse u can, u can do cardio every day till u die, u can do cardio on your weights days aswell. Personally id suggest light cardio on off days while ur getting into things. personally dont see the point in being in the gym that much and not wanting to see any strength gains.

Vladamir

FH is my second home
eggy said:

Sorry, confused me a bit. Do you mean to SWIM the same amount/distance/time or whatever on the off days as you would do Running/Bike/Row on the gym days? :p

If so then yeah, but remember for your muscles to develop they need ample rest time. For muscle to have a decent recovery time, you'll need 24-48 hours rest before you can do a full workout again. Swimming etc will help with muscle soreness if you get it, because you'll buffer away the acid in your muscles (which makes them sore).

Just remember not to overtrain ;)

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Vladamir said:
Do you mean to SWIM the same amount/distance/time or whatever on the off days as you would do Running/Bike/Row on the gym days? :p

No I'm just asking if it's safe/ok to swim/run on the days I'm not doing the gym routine.

You say "don't overtrain" but this is why I'm asking the question - how much is overtraining.

Haggus

Can't get enough of FH
Tis called Lactic acid and very strangely I have to agree with Vlad :eek:

Don't swim to get fit but make it a warm down from your gym work out.

Don't over do it when swimming because you don't need to push yourself as much to work your muscels.

ALWAYS remember to warm down after excercise

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
eggy said:
No I'm just asking if it's safe/ok to swim/run on the days I'm not doing the gym routine.

You say "don't overtrain" but this is why I'm asking the question - how much is overtraining.

overtraining is determined individually, in time your body will be able to handle more so u are less likely to overtrain. It entirely depends on your routine, so without that im not able to tell u how much would be considered overtraining.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Haggus said:

Don't over do it when swimming because you don't need to push yourself as much to work your muscels.

Finished off walking 10 mins on the treadmills after the gym session yesterday, then did some long-hold stretches before leaving.

Still confused.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Darksword said:
overtraining is determined individually, in time your body will be able to handle more so u are less likely to overtrain. It entirely depends on your routine, so without that im not able to tell u how much would be considered overtraining.

Already have said what the routine is further up the post!! :(

Haggus

Can't get enough of FH
eggy said:

You'll know when. But you can never OVER do it as your body wont let you.

when and if you do you'll pull muscels, be extreamly tired you'll get to the point were you cba anymore etc

Just make sure you eat regularly, keep your body hydrated. and you'll be fine

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Haggus said:

Agreed however I swim to keep fit and its mint.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
You could always try this:

Monday: Gym - see if you can catch a fit bird wandering between the sauna and the changing rooms (hoping her towel will fall off)

Tuesday: Pub

Wednesday: Gym - massage

Thursday: Day off. Go to the pub.

Friday: Pub night.

Saturday: Night club

Sunday: Take it easy. Been a hard week. Go to gym tomorrow.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Haggus said:

lactic acid can be removed by stretching, and correct breathing to get oxygen and blood to the muscle, along with some light work, like a mile walk cool down or something. definatly do some passive stretching to get help your body recover, its brilliant.

Haggus

Can't get enough of FH
eggy said:
Finished off walking 10 mins on the treadmills after the gym session yesterday, then did some long-hold stretches before leaving.

Still confused.

Thats fine then.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Darksword said:
lactic acid can be removed by stretching, and correct breathing to get oxygen and blood to the muscle, along with some light work, like a mile walk cool down or something. definatly do some passive stretching to get help your body recover, its brilliant.

Yeh I do that as part of routine.

But still don't know if I should be swimming/running or not on the other days :p

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Haggus said:
Thats fine then.

Yes but I still haven't found out if after that 2-3 times a week I can swim/run in the off-days!!!

Haggus

Can't get enough of FH
well read peoples post.

I said it was fine and some others did.

So just to clarify !... YOU CAN SWIM during your days off from the gym

People have been giving advice about what you can do. I've also said what to do when swimming

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Haggus said:
well read peoples post.

I said it was fine and some others did.

So just to clarify !... YOU CAN SWIM during your days off from the gym

I did read the posts, but there are contradictions throughout!

You still haven't advised if I can RUN on days off :p

(or which is better could be another question!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom