PS3 has lost to Wii and Xbox360 (discuss)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Then you're using the wrong equipment. The different between hidef and standard DVD's is astonishing.

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
I admit I'm a bit of an HD nut I have a projector, AV Receiver, 7.1 speakers all the usual stuff and mainly use my PS3 as a blu-ray player, the majority may not be interested in Hi-Def media atm but there is a huge difference between SD and HD.

Speed Racer DVD.

Speed Racer Blu-ray.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Yep there's a huge difference but rightly or wrongly, most people at the minute don't care.

I DO care but I'm still not going to fork out blu-ray prices for a couple of years yet. Better things to spend my money on.

Anyway, topic-drift !

Aada

Part of the furniture
I only see the difference on games movies i never really notice.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I only buy blu-rays if I can get them for £13 or less, import or offers here.

However I have stopped buying anything on DVD.

Picture and sound quality for me is very noticeable.

Will

/bin/su
I bought a 360 recently. I just couldn't justify/afford the price of a PS3, especially since I don't need/want a Bluray player, and didn't have an HD TV at the time I bought the console. I've played TdC's PS3, and it was good enough, but it didn't offer anything extra to justify the difference.

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
I know alot of people had problems with the 360, but I've not ever had a problem. I like the XBox Live thingy, even though I have to pay extra, it works out at a couple of quid a month (like an MMO) and the online support for games is tremendous.

Being able to pick up a game, put it in the machine and go online STRAIGHT AWAY is brilliant. No install, no worries, just beep boop.

PS3 has an online service, but I've not heard good things about it, it's all a bit ad-hoc. Is that true?

Aada

Part of the furniture
you come off more and more as a true fanboy :)

Why is that?

Because i don't like Sony's attitude towards Europe ?

Because i don't like their overpriced machine with no games worth mentioning?

Because when i play a console i don't expect to have to sit through a 10minute install everytime i buy a new game?

Because i don't like the fact that Sony don't give you a HDMI cable in the box forcing me to go out and spend another £15 before i have even opened it?

Not bad reasons really are they?

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Why is that?

Because when i play a console i don't expect to have to sit through a 10minute install everytime i buy a new game?

Because i don't like the fact that Sony don't give you a HDMI cable in the box forcing me to go out and spend another £15 before i have even opened it?

It's all a matter of perspective though, personally i thought under 300 notes for a fully specced next gen high def media center was a bargain the fact it plays games was just a bonus.
There has been a bit of a lack of decent games for the ps3 but they are coming slowly and the 360 did catch a trick by coming out so much earlier.
Plus blu ray prices are coming down and the quality difference with a half decent tv is astonishing. Previously on play they were all 17+ pounds and last time i checked they were doing most of them at 3 for 2 almost all below 15 pounds. Give it a year and i suspect most new blu rays will be closer to the ten pound mark will make a huge difference.
Personally i doubt i will replace many of my dvd's but i will mainly be buying films on blu ray instead now.

Aada

Part of the furniture
It's all a matter of perspective though, personally i thought under 300 notes for a fully specced next gen high def media center was a bargain the fact it plays games was just a bonus.
There has been a bit of a lack of decent games for the ps3 but they are coming slowly and the 360 did catch a trick by coming out so much earlier.
Plus blu ray prices are coming down and the quality difference with a half decent tv is astonishing. Previously on play they were all 17+ pounds and last time i checked they were doing most of them at 3 for 2 almost all below 15 pounds. Give it a year and i suspect most new blu rays will be closer to the ten pound mark will make a huge difference.
Personally i doubt i will replace many of my dvd's but i will mainly be buying films on blu ray instead now.

They are facts though.

You prove my point yet again by saying you like its a high def media centre and the games machine is a bonus just speaks volumes about what the PS3 is in alot of peoples eyes.

First and foremost it should be a games machine with top notch games not the other way around ;/

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
They are facts though.

You prove my point yet again by saying you like its a high def media centre and the games machine is a bonus just speaks volumes about what the PS3 is in alot of peoples eyes.

First and foremost it should be a games machine with top notch games not the other way around ;/

I think that's where we will have to disagree, most people don't want to have 5 devices in their living room, just one. Certainly that is why my wife had no problem buying me a ps3 as i could ditch my mp3 streamer my dvd player and a myriad other devices. + you could hear yourself think when it was turned on :)

And the ps3 is a top notch games machine, in terms of hardware it's arguably much better than the 360 and unless the 360 hasn't even come close to hitting it's potential. The ps2 took years to come close to being stretched by the games on it. However there is a lack of games which is it's only real flaw in my eyes, but i'm sure they will come. Personally i think at some point in the next year 360 sales will start to drop off as there are only so many cheaper versions they can bring out, but the ps3 will continue to sell steadily for the next couple of years as long as developers start trying to develop new and interesting games for it.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Because i don't like their overpriced machine with no gamesworth mentioning

No games lol. You're still clinging on to the argument that means even less now than it did a year ago when it was still dumb as fuck :)

Will

/bin/su
And this is what always happens with these arguements. It descends into fanboy fights.

The summarise the rational arguements.

The Wii is awesome at parties.

The 360 is a well priced pure games machine.

The PS3 is expensive as a pure games machine, which limits its sales there, but is a well priced media centre.

Is that fair?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Pretty much, except I think that in relative terms the PS3 is a far worse games machine than the PS2.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
this argument was preety much the same for ps2 after year one.

reports were peeps were buying it mainly for the dvd player. games wise there was not much out apart from a a handful of decent games out in pal regions same as ps3. diff was there was a huge number of devs workiing on just ps2 games in europe, usa and japan this is not the case any more.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
It's not about the machines themselves Will. The market seems to be losing faith in PS3.

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
It's not about the machines themselves Will. The market seems to be losing faith in PS3.

Are you saying that based mainly on the NPD numbers for NA for this month though? In June the PS3 sold nearly twice as many as the 360, numbers go up and down every month and it's sold more in both Europe and Japan than the 360, it's not like they are going to stop releasing games for it anytime soon :)

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Are you saying that based mainly on the NPD numbers for NA for this month though? In June the PS3 sold nearly twice as many as the 360, numbers go up and down every month and it's sold more in both Europe and Japan than the 360, it's not like they are going to stop releasing games for it anytime soon :)

Funny thing is, most people look at the USA figures and assume it's the same everywhere. In Italy, Germany, Spain and France, multiplatform games chart better on PS3. Companies who do most of their business in Europe (like Ubisoft, being French and all) can actually make more revenue on the PS3 than 360.

~Latency~

Can't get enough of FH
No games lol. You're still clinging on to the argument that means even less now than it did a year ago when it was still dumb as fuck :)

you're such an aggressive little man

aada's point is simple.. xbox 360 has won this generation of consoles by a very long way, for the very simple reason (even for the totally embarrassing fanboys here) that it is a _gaming_ console and nothing else comes close in terms of top quality next gen games and a unrivalled online service.

ask someone about a ps3 and the worrying thing they all say is 'bla bla media centre bla blueray bla' .. fair enough, but that doesn't make up for the poor games.

Lethul

FH is my second home
Why is that?

Nono, not all of those :)

Just that if you can't "notice" the difference in BD over DVD you are either blind or fanboy imo.

Lethul

FH is my second home
you're such an aggressive little man

aada's point is simple.. xbox 360 has won this generation of consoles by a very long way, for the very simple reason (even for the totally embarrassing fanboys here) that it is a _gaming_ console and nothing else comes close in terms of top quality next gen games and a unrivalled online service.

ask someone about a ps3 and the worrying thing they all say is 'bla bla media centre bla blueray bla' .. fair enough, but that doesn't make up for the poor games.

Should'nt we wait until the next-gen is out before we can say who "won" this generation? If we should declare a winner of this generation it certainly aint 360, then its Wii.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7386879.stm

and if that is correct i wouldn't even say 360 comes in second ?

Aada

Part of the furniture
Should'nt we wait until the next-gen is out before we can say who "won" this generation? If we should declare a winner of this generation it certainly aint 360, then its Wii.

BBC NEWS | Technology | Europe PS3 sales 'overtake 360'

and if that is correct i wouldn't even say 360 comes in second ?

I don't think any serious gamer counts the Wii as a next gen console it's a beefed up Gamecube lol.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Nono, not all of those :)

Just that if you can't "notice" the difference in BD over DVD you are either blind or fanboy imo.

I'm not really discussing BD V dvd m8 yeah there is a difference but i don't notice it as much as when i play games v SD thats all.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Oh for gods sake, can the fanbois stay away please?

You make the same old tired points again and again and do not listen to anyone else. Yes that means you Aada.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Wii has won (and Aada, sniffily dismissing it as "not Next-Gen" misses the point entirely. It competes for people's time and money at the same time as PS3 and 360, so for all practical purposes it is "next-Gen". And who says next-Gen has to be about processing power anyway?), decisively, in every major market. 360 is second overall (and tellingly, in the US, the 360 has sold more software than the Wii, and that's where the real money is) and the PS3 is a rather distant third, and doesn't look like catching up anytime soon (even in Japan it tends to bounce around neck and neck with the 360 in the monthly charts). Only in mainland Europe is the PS3 ahead of the 360.

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
(even in Japan it tends to bounce around neck and neck with the 360 in the monthly charts). Only in mainland Europe is the PS3 ahead of the 360.

The PS3 passed the sales of 360 in Japan in 4 weeks (the 360 had been out for a year at that point) 360 has picked up the last few months thanks to some RPG's being released over there but it's quite a way off the total numbers of the PS3. I wouldn't be suprised to see the 360(2nd) and PS3(3rd) swap places by Christmas 2010, the Wii pretty much has things wrapped up in 1st place though.

Lethul

FH is my second home
What i find weird is that Sony still is selling loads of PS2. Ain't it in the same price category as the 360?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom