PS3 has lost to Wii and Xbox360 (discuss)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Given the disappointing hardware sales and the fact that PS3's A++++++ title LBP has sold poorly in the all-platform charts, is it fair to say that PS3 came last this generation ?

(PS3 is the only one I own, I'm not being a M$/Ninty fanboi)

Discuss...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I own all three and do not use the ps3 as a console. Crap controller (until the ds3), not enough exclusives and very high cost compared to the other two.

Great BD player though.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Given the disappointing hardware sales and the fact that PS3's A++++++ title LBP has sold poorly in the all-platform charts, is it fair to say that PS3 came last this generation ?

(PS3 is the only one I own, I'm not being a M$/Ninty fanboi)

Discuss...

I owned a PS3 even posted on the boards when i got one but i resold it after only 3 months of owning one while i appreciate from a tech point of view the PS3 is a great bit of kit for me it failed atleast in Europe because:

1. The PS3 was due to fail from day one in Europe anyway the delay, removal of the PS3's that could play the old PS1 games, add to boot the cost of the console on launch AND the half arsed PS3 40gig console that was a kick in the teeth.

2. Installs on almost every game you play on the PS3 is just one big NO for console gamers. A friend on the 360 told me about how bad MGS4 was for installs and watching the cut scenes.

3. Games coming out weeks/months later on the PS3 after the 360 has had all the glory.

4. PSN is light years behind LIVE it is just a horrible out of date online service but hey i guess you get what you pay for or in the PS3 case you get what you don't pay for. Add to boot hardly anyone uses a headset on the PS3 making playing online almost like playing against bots.

5. Shoddy ports the PS3 gets, perfect examples are Half Life Orange Box and Fallout 3.

6. This is a personal opinion but why do people talk about LBP as a life changing game? it's a freaking platformer for gods sake fair enough you can create your own content but alot of people won't bother doing it anyway.

Think that about covers it for me and why i didn't bother hanging onto my PS3.

The fact many people on many many forums say they only use the PS3 as a Bluray player speaks for itself on how people feel about the PS3 as a GAMES console.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
cant argue with much. apart from the fact ps3 is not likely to die on you. im on my 5th 360
have friends and relatives who are almost on the same number as me. the current batch are now plagued with dvd drives failing.

as for the hdd thing we may in a years time see more 360 games needing a hdd install as well.

sony screwed up by not changing with the times. what they did with the ps2 worked coz they had no competition sega was already dead as console manufacturer and nintty was just ninty at the time

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
cant argue with much. apart from the fact ps3 is not likely to die on you. im on my 5th 360
have friends and relatives who are almost on the same number as me. the current batch are now plagued with dvd drives failing.

as for the hdd thing we may in a years time see more 360 games needing a hdd install as well.

MS are pushing people towards hdd with this new update by offering cheap drives to those without so i dont think hdd installs will be a problem, difference is they take a fraction of the time to install.

I browse various forums and ps3 problems are as rife, given the number of ps3 owners is less than 360 the complaints are less documented, And i'm guessing as a pushed to the limit console the 360 is getting much more use, the p3s isn't under strain playing movies :p. Wii's probably the best in build quality altho i doubt it has anything that would break a sweat.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
We have people in the games industry here. Is PS3 a failure now ? Or can it turn it round ?

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
You can also ask yourself if the 360 really succeeded. Microsoft are making a profit on it (actually debatable since they group it with the Zune in their FR) but that doesn't even begin to cover the costs of the first Xbox plus the billion dollar warranty bailout.

So what's the criteria here - most consoles sold or most money made? On both counts, Nintendo are the only company who can brag about anything this generation.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I think the term 'lost' is loosely related to popularity. Generally to 'win' a console war you need to sell the most consoles, right?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You need to have the biggest market share, any money lost on the hardware will be eclipsed by the software sales.

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
I can see your point on alot of things but I think it's a little unfair to look at the LBP numbers when the game had it's release messed up and was recalled so people didn't really know when it was coming out, it eventually came out on 27th October so to look at the NA numbers for October for it is a little unfair, I don't think anyone ever expected it to be a 1 million day 1 seller, it has no guns, more of a slow burner. It was only released in Europe last week give it a chance.

That was my LBP defence force :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
You can also ask yourself if the 360 really succeeded. Microsoft are making a profit on it (actually debatable since they group it with the Zune in their FR) but that doesn't even begin to cover the costs of the first Xbox plus the billion dollar warranty bailout.

So what's the criteria here - most consoles sold or most money made? On both counts, Nintendo are the only company who can brag about anything this generation.

Of course it has succeeded just look at the developers moving to it from the PS3 Square Enix/Namco two of Playstations most loyal developers jumping on the 360.

Microsoft are now starting to see the rewards for their console they are now making a profit on their console and this is because from day 1 they have marketed their console fucking brilliantly.

LIVE is a fantastic thing it is constantly flooded with content/demos/videos about future and current 360 games, for the console gamer who wants to play online with their games then the 360 wins by a large margin.

Sony fucked up in Europe as far as i am concerned they thought they could get away with a free rubbish online service and they thought they could get away with the price of the console, the complete hash of the dummbed down 40gig console which nobody wanted to buy.

At the end of the day the PS3 is a games console but the fact many people state they use it for Bluray online speaks for itself tbh.

Aada

Part of the furniture
I think the term 'lost' is loosely related to popularity. Generally to 'win' a console war you need to sell the most consoles, right?

One of the main factors of winning a console war is to have the quality games to sell those consoles the PS3 has never had that.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
At the end of the day the PS3 is a games console but the fact many people state they use it for Bluray online speaks for itself tbh.

Is it any worse than all the people using the 360 only as a piracy machine?

Aada

Part of the furniture
Is it any worse than all the people using the 360 only as a piracy machine?

Seperate topic altogther but funny how it was the only thing you could have thought of to counter my post :p

Pirates are a minority.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
The rest of your post didn't really deserve a response. SE and Namco weren't ever LOYAL to Sony, it just never made sense to do anything on a non-Playstation console the last 2 generations. Besides, SE haven't moved to 360, they're a multi-platform developer this gen. Dragon Quest 9 went to Nintendo, for example. They have FF13 Versus exclusive for PS3. Namco too are multi-platform but they're largely irrelevant at the moment.

And your 2nd point -- Microsoft has not made money from entering the console market, nor will they be in the black for a long time (read: not this generation).

As for Sony fucking up Europe... not even sure where to start. You do realise that PS3 outsold the 360 everywhere in Europe except the UK? That's pretty amazing considering the "shit" online service (the one that actually has dedicated servers for online play :)) and the price.

Aada

Part of the furniture
The rest of your post didn't really deserve a response. SE and Namco weren't ever LOYAL to Sony, it just never made sense to do anything on a non-Playstation console the last 2 generations. Besides, SE haven't moved to 360, they're a multi-platform developer this gen. Dragon Quest 9 went to Nintendo, for example. They have FF13 Versus exclusive for PS3. Namco too are multi-platform but they're largely irrelevant at the moment.

And your 2nd point -- Microsoft has not made money from entering the console market, nor will they be in the black for a long time (read: not this generation).

As for Sony fucking up Europe... not even sure where to start. You do realise that PS3 outsold the 360 everywhere in Europe except the UK? That's pretty amazing considering the "shit" online service (the one that actually has dedicated servers for online play :)) and the price.

Whatever makes you feel better not going to get into a debate i think my points pretty much sum up the PS3.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Whatever makes you feel better not going to get into a debate i think my points pretty much sum up the PS3.

No they sum the deluded ramblings of an Xbox zealot. The PS3 is a fine machine, as it is so much more than a console. It's pretty much a complete entertainment centre, and can easily function as a HTPC you can play games on. The online features everything you really need, and whats more its free. When you factor in all you get in the box, it's actually pretty decent value for money.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH

ROFL :D Your post before that basically asked me to respond to your other points. Now I do and you've nothing to say.

What a joke.

~Latency~

Can't get enough of FH
i have a 360 and my brother has a wii/ps3.. he spends most of his time on the 360 with me.. pretty much sums up the consoles this generation: the 360 is by far the clear winner.. and here's why

ps3:
overpriced
isn't backwards compatable anymore
crappy buggy ports of 360 games
dull and lifeless online service

.. it just does nothing for a gamer that the 360 doesn't match, or do even better for half the price.. the ps3 will never catchup with the backlist of games, online and off..

the final blow was when crucial ps3 developers started making games for the xbox..

Wij

I am a FH squatter
No they sum the deluded ramblings of an Xbox zealot. The PS3 is a fine machine, as it is so much more than a console. It's pretty much a complete entertainment centre, and can easily function as a HTPC you can play games on. The online features everything you really need, and whats more its free. When you factor in all you get in the box, it's actually pretty decent value for money.

Not the point though is it. From what I can see it's not selling hardware and especially not software. Might be the greatest machine ever but if it's not selling it doesn't matter.

Or am I talking cock ?

/edit: Everyone should buy a PS3 for Super Stardust HD tbh. Just wish I hadn't lost my net connection when I decimated my highest score :(

Aada

Part of the furniture

just proved a couple of my points thankyou.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Not the point though is it. From what I can see it's not selling hardware and especially not software. Might be the greatest machine ever but if it's not selling it doesn't matter.

Or am I talking cock ?

/edit: Everyone should buy a PS3 for Super Stardust HD tbh. Just wish I hadn't lost my net connection when I decimated my highest score :(

Nah you are spot on, I reckon we sell 6 360's at work for every 1 ps3.

The Arcade version, now it is only £130 sells especially well.

MS learnt quickly from the WII, not everyone can do HD or online gaming, so they cut the price of the arcade while at the same time bundling it with more (mem card, wireless controller).

Now this may just be in the UK, but we are a fairly big market when it comes to games. I think even more important is the fact we are going into xmas in the midst of financial turmoil. How many parents are going to shell out £300 for a console when there are cheaper alternatives with the same games?

rynnor

Rockhound
I think the biggest problem of the PS3 is Blu-ray.

Because of Blu-ray the console came out much later than hoped which gave the 360 an early advantage.

Because of Blu-ray the console cost a lot more to manufacture and thus higher retail price which automatically meant lower sales.

Finally Blu-ray just hasnt done as well as expected - for a long time it wasnt clear which format would win which depressed PS3 sales more than the 360.

If Blu-ray ever really takes off this should help sales of the PS3 but so far its still just the early adopters.

~Latency~

Can't get enough of FH
i don't really understand why anyone would upgrade to blueray films anytime soon, i don't know a single person who doesn't want an increase of qiuality over dvd - it's fine

Aada

Part of the furniture
i don't really understand why anyone would upgrade to blueray films anytime soon, i don't know a single person who doesn't want an increase of qiuality over dvd - it's fine

Add to the price of a bluray film :)

Funny when you go look at bluray films and most of the retailers do that shitty 3 bluray films for 2 by the time you have got the 2 you want it's nearly £40 suddenly the 3 for 2 doesn't seem that great.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
No different from DVD's when they were still fresh, give it time and the price will come down.

rynnor

Rockhound
No different from DVD's when they were still fresh, give it time and the price will come down.

I dont see the same pressures to push from dvd to blu-ray as there were for vid to dvd. Most decent players will upscale your dvd's to a level where it really isnt worth the price premium to go blu-ray.

They will only start getting popular when the price is just a few quid above dvd price but they are still set on milking the early adopters at the moment.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I dont see the same pressures to push from dvd to blu-ray as there were for vid to dvd. Most decent players will upscale your dvd's to a level where it really isnt worth the price premium to go blu-ray.

Well it depends on the equipment you're viewing it on, but on decent gear there's a huge difference between upscaled DVD's and proper HD. That said, you're right it's mainly enthusiasts who give a shit about that.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Well it depends on the equipment you're viewing it on, but on decent gear there's a huge difference between upscaled DVD's and proper HD. That said, you're right it's mainly enthusiasts who give a shit about that.

You only see the difference if your looking for it imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom