PS2 or Xbox ?

Ranger

Fledgling Freddie
Whats meant to be the best console for graphics and gameplay, etc ?

i currently have a ps2 with like 10 games, but when i look at the game reviews, the games get a much better rating on the Xbox ....

So which do you prefere ?

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Xbox, better games, better online, plus downloadable content. And Halo 2. :D

But...there are console forums. :)

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Beware of xbox reviews though, I find that the first year or so of games were so shoddy I reckon they all get marked up now :)

Just look at what game-types you like and see which has the most.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
When theres a game released on both consoles the xbox reviews always seem to say that it has the better graphics, I havent read any PS2 reviews so it might just be a lie :p

I hear PS2's often break too? I'll stick to my sexeh green xbox :clap:

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
From a purely technical standpoint, the Xbox is the more powerful machine. The situation used to be that the PS2 had a significantly better line-up of games, but I wouldn't say that's true any more - the majority of high-profile games available on one are available on the other. In fact, a number of very good games are now coming out which are Xbox-only (for consoles, at least) - presumably due to the Xbox being more powerful than the PS2.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I always have, and still do, find the PS2 to be blurry. And yes, I have got RGB cables for both the Xbox and the PS2.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
PS2 clearly. 50 million other users can't be wrong.

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
Bodhi said:
PS2 clearly. 50 million other users can't be wrong.

Never a good line of argument. By that line of reasoning, you can say that Internet Explorer is the best browser around :p

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
I rock. Fatbusinessman sucks Ostrich eggs.

PS: Wrong forum ffs!"£$

Bodhi

Doomy said:
And Take That ROCKED
Music is different idiot.

And it's a great line of argument when it leads to a wider selection of better games.

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
And an incredibly much more wider range of shit ones filling shelf space and wasting talent.

Bodhi

Well just buy the good ones then? If everyone stops buying shit games they'll soon get the message and stop making them. It's common sense.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Whipped said:
I always have, and still do, find the PS2 to be blurry. And yes, I have got RGB cables for both the Xbox and the PS2.
That's part of the PS2's design - the output goes through a lowpass filter which makes the image appear slightly blurred compared to an xbox. It also helps hide jaggies. Xbox can apply this filter but usually doesn't as it doesn't improve most games, also xbox supports FSAA.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Well let me say that the image i get, is perfectly clear. So fuck you.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Sir Frizz said:
Well let me say that the image i get, is perfectly clear. So fuck you.
Check any technical manual on PS2 (I'd suggest Sony's) - you'll find I'm not making this up.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
I don't give a toss about specs, all i'm saying is i think you'd have to have the eyes of a hawk to make out any sort of blurring. Because i don't notice any.

Bodhi

Danya said:
That's part of the PS2's design - the output goes through a lowpass filter which makes the image appear slightly blurred compared to an xbox. It also helps hide jaggies. Xbox can apply this filter but usually doesn't as it doesn't improve most games, also xbox supports FSAA.

So does the PS2, just nobody uses it. Can't say I notice the blurring either. Mind you I'm normally too busy playing the game than looking at the pretty graphics. I assume there's not much to do in your typical Xbox title then?

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Been a while since we had one of these threads.
Nice to see nothing changes :)

Clown

Part of the furniture
I get the blurring in GTA3 and GTA:VC. I'm too used to the crisp picture on a PC though. TVs are crap :)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Bodhi said:
So does the PS2, just nobody uses it. Can't say I notice the blurring either. Mind you I'm normally too busy playing the game than looking at the pretty graphics. I assume there's not much to do in your typical Xbox title then?
Well xbox supports FSAA with reasonable frame rate would be more accurate then (though this isn't universal as many xbox games don't use FSAA). The PS2's filter was a reasonable comprimise between detail and anti-aliasing given the hardware available at the time (lets not forget it's quite a bit older than the xbox). Besides which, TVs aren't noted for super crisp pictures anyway, so most people don't really notice the difference.

I'm not sure about the average xbox title being so boring you just stare at the picture and note quality differences, I just do that because I'm paid to. :p

Sir frizz, I don't really care if you have some sort of anti-xbox axe to grind or whatever, the fact is xbox (and NGC) will display a slightly less blurry picture than PS2 purely through their design. It's not to say that the PS2 is bad, it's just older hardware.

Damini

Part of the furniture
Bodhi said:
Well just buy the good ones then? If everyone stops buying shit games they'll soon get the message and stop making them. It's common sense.

I believe I may be single handedly responsible for maintaining the life span of shit games.

I own The Hobbit :(

Oh, and Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds.

I'm so, so sorry.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Danya said:
Sir frizz, I don't really care if you have some sort of anti-xbox axe to grind or whatever, the fact is xbox (and NGC) will display a slightly less blurry picture than PS2 purely through their design. It's not to say that the PS2 is bad, it's just older hardware.

When have i ever said anything anti-XBox? As i have stated previously, the PS2 has a wider selection of better (yes you read that right; "better") titles, as collated by Metacritic.

But if it comforts people to hide behind their "Power = Win" argument, then fine. It just grates me, when people pick up on the most frivolous of technicalities.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Damini said:
Oh, and Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds.

Actually, amazingly enough the first buffy game is really rather good.

Of course, the second one is utterly shite, and shame on you for buying it. (Do you have the first?)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Sir Frizz said:
When have i ever said anything anti-XBox? As i have stated previously, the PS2 has a wider selection of better (yes you read that right; "better") titles, as collated by Metacritic.
Better titles is a matter of opinion, better hardware is not - that's the difference. For instance if all you wanted to do with a console was play halo the PS2 would have a crap choice of games. Similarly if all you wanted was mario, PS2 and xbox would both be a bad choice.
Looking back to the original question he asks specifically about graphics - is it any wonder then that most people recommend the xbox, which, being a newer console, does have superior graphics to the PS2.
Personally I don't give a rats arse about all the supposedly better games on PS2, none of them much interest me, so for me it's not a selling point of the console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom